Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Pseudo science like masks etc. are all in the realm of the theoretical, and wholly unproven. In fact much of the evidence shows that they actually make things worse (whether through incorrect usage or other reasons).

You are like those lunatics you sometimes see walking up Grafton Street with a John 3:16 sign, wittering on about "Satan" and the "New World Order." You clearly have some issues, and I hope you get the help you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Where did I say the HSE said that, I didn't you did. You said they made colds disappear, that's completely wrong.

You've bought into the fear, spin it whatever way you like to make it compute but the fact remains true your motives are driven by fear of being a disease spreader even when you feel healthy. Maybe take a few minutes to reflect on that concept and come up with a plan on how your going to deal with your asymptomatic flu spread in the future.
    (CDC say flu and covid have similar asymptomatic spread)

You can't put a figure on how many cases they've prevented or caused, yes I said caused as we always knew that was going to be a problem, even NPHET understood it. Cases have never returned to where they were in the days before the mandate introduction, have a look at the charts.

I've my evidence based opinion formed and nothing is going to change that. The science on masks has not changed between the start of the pandemic and now, Fauchi was correct, Luke O'Neill was correct and so were NPHET.

Evidence based opinion? Is all of your evidence from Facebook?
    Luke o'neill, Fauchi and Nphet are all in favour of masks.

I'm assuming you are either a covid denier or one of the people who say "it's just a flu"?

No - it's an epic fail by you.

What has been shown is that asymptomatic transmission, whilst it has been assumed, has actually never been proven. In fact the most thorough study into it has shown that there was not one single case of so-called asymptomatic transmission.

Pseudo science like masks etc. are all in the realm of the theoretical, and wholly unproven. In fact much of the evidence shows that they actually make things worse (whether through incorrect usage or other reasons).

So what gives the State the right to impose totalitarian rule on those it claims to have authority to impose rules over? Is there no limit to what they can do claiming it is in the interests of the "greater good"? Does the 26-County Constitution have any meaning whatsoever if all rights can simply be ignored?

It has been proven. There are numerous studies on it. Here's one but feel free to ask for more or Google it yourself
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774707

Maybe if you stopped listening to the pseudoscience on Facebook for a while you might learn some actual facts.

Why do people like you always bring the constitution into things like this. Does the constitution protect you from catching or spreading a virus?
    You don't even live in the 26 counties so maybe worry about your own constitution which isn't even a written document.

dalyboy wrote: »
    It’s actually not tosh about the masks.

Even NPHET have no confidence in the effectiveness.
    Earlier this evening a NPHET robot was slating an elderly woman who wore a mask to see her dying brother.
    Mentioned how “irresponsible” it was visiting him in a hospital and getting infected with covid.

Ahem ..... she was wearing a mask !!!!!

Do they work or not work ???

Nobody has ever said that masks protect the wearer. They are to stop the wearer spreading it to other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You are like those lunatics you sometimes see walking up Grafton Street with a John 3:16 sign, wittering on about "Satan" and the "New World Order." You clearly have some issues, and I hope you get the help you need.

I would ask that you stop besmirching Seán Sabhat's name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

aido79 wrote: »
    Nobody has ever said that masks protect the wearer. They are to stop the wearer spreading it to other people.

If it doesn't protect you from breathing in how in God's name is it meant to protect someone else when you breathe out.
    The wearer also has to be super strict with their use and disposal of it, that it not happening out here in the real world.

You also need certain types of masks, the mandate here specifies a face covering, that's any rag, you can't honestly take a position that the mandate is based on science.

Have you any friends that are surgeons, go have a world with them you might be shocked at their opinion on face coverings.

If it doesn't protect you from breathing in how in God's name is it meant to protect someone else when you breathe out.
    The wearer also has to be super strict with their use and disposal of it, that it not happening out here in the real world.

You also need certain types of masks, the mandate here specifies a face covering, that's any rag, you can't honestly take a position that the mandate is based on science.

Have you any friends that are surgeons, go have a world with them you might be shocked at their opinion on face coverings.

Why do you think surgeons wear masks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Evidence based opinion? Is all of your evidence from Facebook?
    Luke o'neill, Fauchi and Nphet are all in favour of masks.

I'm assuming you are either a covid denier or one of the people who say "it's just a flu"?

It's not a binary choice between two opinions, "Covid Denier" or "110% in favor of restrictions".

It has been proven. There are numerous studies on it. Here's one but feel free to ask for more or Google it yourself

Maybe if you stopped listening to the pseudoscience on Facebook for a while you might learn some actual facts.

Why do people like you always bring the constitution into things like this. Does the constitution protect you from catching or spreading a virus?
    You don't even live in the 26 counties so maybe worry about your own constitution which isn't even a written document.

That's not a study. It's a model that makes baseline assumptions. The same sort of thing that overestimated the case numbers and deaths by up to twentyfold in some places.

"The baseline assumptions for the model were that peak infectiousness occurred at the median of symptom onset and that 30% of individuals with infection never develop symptoms and are 75% as infectious as those who do develop symptoms."

"The proportion of individuals with infection who never have apparent symptoms is difficult to quantify because it requires intensive prospective clinical sampling and symptom screening from a representative sample of individuals with and without infection."

When they did do that clinical sampling for ten million people in Wuhan, China, they found not a single case of asymptomatic transmission: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19802-w

The truth is that it's not clear yet whether asymptomatic spread occurs, or to what degree, if so. So I'd caution against sitting on your high horse throwing down mathematical models with a history of wild inaccuracy in this pandemic while you berate people for believing "conspiracy theories" that may yet, actually, be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Masks must give some protection for preventing catching Covid 19. All through the year i have been in very high risk environments ( due to my work). So far i haven’t caught the disease. I must be doing something right.

• Advertisement

Why do you think surgeons wear masks?

To minimise the chance that their respiratory droplets will contaminate the internal tissues of their patients as they stand over them performing surgery.

Surgery that they wouldn't perform if they knew they had a respiratory virus.

Why would a masked surgeon not perform surgery with a respiratory virus?

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not a binary choice between two opinions, "Covid Denier" or "110% in favor of restrictions".

I am well aware of that. The drunk monkey is more than capable of outlining where he stands on that scale. I'd assume it's very close to the first opinion.

That's not a study. It's a model that makes baseline assumptions. The same sort of thing that overestimated the case numbers and deaths by up to twentyfold in some places.

"The baseline assumptions for the model were that peak infectiousness occurred at the median of symptom onset and that 30% of individuals with infection never develop symptoms and are 75% as infectious as those who do develop symptoms."

"The proportion of individuals with infection who never have apparent symptoms is difficult to quantify because it requires intensive prospective clinical sampling and symptom screening from a representative sample of individuals with and without infection."

When they did do that clinical sampling for ten million people in Wuhan, China, they found not a single case of asymptomatic transmission: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19802-w

The truth is that it's not clear yet whether asymptomatic spread occurs, or to what degree, if so. So I'd caution against sitting on your high horse throwing down mathematical models with a history of wild inaccuracy in this pandemic while you berate people for believing "conspiracy theories" that may yet, actually, be correct.

That's true and the more studies that's done on it the better to get the best information possible. Even the study you have linked with a very large study group has admitted it may not be accurate.
    What conspiracy theories do you suggest may be true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Masks must give some protection for preventing catching Covid 19. All through the year i have been in very high risk environments ( due to my work). So far i haven’t caught the disease. I must be doing something right.

I haven't worn one and haven't caught it. By your metric this proves that not wearing a mask prevents COVID.

To minimise the chance that their respiratory droplets will contaminate the internal tissues of their patients as they stand over them performing surgery.

Surgery that they wouldn't perform if they knew they had a respiratory virus.

Why would a masked surgeon not perform surgery with a respiratory virus?

The same goes for a person who may be in the early stages of covid. They may be asymptomatic but still capable of passing on the virus before developing the symptoms themselves.

I don't understand your last question. Can you clarify what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Thats not a study....

Surely you have an actual study on this to link? Seeing how you say asymptomatic transmission has been "proven"?

I haven't worn one and haven't caught it. By your metric this proves that not wearing a mask prevents COVID.

No it proves nothing. Have you been working in very high risk environments? I’m sure you have.

It’s a miracle i haven’t caught it and i’m quite sure mask wearing has helped.

Are you going into shops etc not wearing a mask?

That's true and the more studies that's done on it the better to get the best information possible. Even the study you have linked with a very large study group has admitted it may not be accurate.
    What conspiracy theories do you suggest may be true?

There was a reason I put "conspiracy theory" in quotes. It's a term many people are currently using incorrectly to try and counter any opinion that isn't bang-on mainstream regarding Covid-19, including the possibility that asymptomatic spread is minimal or non-existant. A tactic usually used by the same people who were convinced that masks did not work, back when that was the line that Fauci, the CDC, the WHO and others were using.

The truth is that it looks likely that asymptomatic spread is a very minor part of the story, and that the picture with presymptomatic spread is less clear. But we must stop being dogmatic about every proclamation handed down from on high. The voices that change the scientific understanding are always, at first, minority voices. Particularly in a globalised world where the likes of Fauci, the WHO and so on are unavoidably politically tainted.

The same goes for a person who may be in the early stages of covid. They may be asymptomatic but still capable of passing on the virus before developing the symptoms themselves.

I don't understand your last question. Can you clarify what you mean.

Sure.

Surgeons, despite wearing masks as a matter of course, do not go to work and perform surgeries if they have respiratory viruses. Because they are aware that masks do not prevent the spread of respiratory viruses in the same way that they can prevent bacterial infections that can occur with larger droplets.

On April 24th, there is a UFC event in Florida that will have a FULL crowd apparently...

I probably still won’t be permitted to meet my mother outdoors for a walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

On April 24th, there is a UFC event in Florida that will have a FULL crowd apparently...

The problem is Paschal loves to borrow. Endlessly. He sees the interest rates of 0.0027% due on a bond as small peanuts, he knows that he wont be around when maturity date of 2037 hits.

If we were unable to borrow tomorrow I would guarantee to you we'd say hello to level 2 and dismiss this mild virus with 99.7% + survival rate.

Life in the USA ( i have family there) completely different to what’s going on here. No 5km limits etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Allinall

there is nothing stopping you meeting your mother for a walk, and never was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I am well aware of that. The drunk monkey is more than capable of outlining where he stands on that spectrum. I'd assume it's very close to the first opinion.

Pretty petty coming from a mod using an autistic slur at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Allinall wrote: »
    there is nothing stopping you meeting your mother for a walk, and never was.

People dismissed the lad who linked to the graph showing the warning signs of phycological abuse, but when you see posts like these its hard not to think that he was on to something.

Its a sign of things to come really, soon we will be told that in fact we weren't actually restricted for a full year, that we made it all up, that in true Orwellian fashion we just aren't remembering correctly.

Such insidious, nasty behaviour really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,083 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I am on the ASD spectrum and did not consider it a slur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Allinall

People dismissed the lad who linked to the graph showing the warning signs of phycological abuse, but when you see posts like these its hard not to think that he was on to something.

Its a sign of things to come really, soon we will be told that in fact we weren't actually restricted for a full year, that we made it all up, that in true Orwellian fashion we just aren't remembering correctly.

Such insidious, nasty behaviour really.

Are you disagreeing with what I said?

It's unclear from your post.

There was a reason I put "conspiracy theory" in quotes. It's a term many people are currently using incorrectly to try and counter any opinion that isn't bang-on mainstream regarding Covid-19, including the possibility that asymptomatic spread is minimal or non-existant. A tactic usually used by the same people who were convinced that masks did not work, back when that was the line that Fauci, the CDC, the WHO and others were using.

The truth is that it looks likely that asymptomatic spread is a very minor part of the story, and that the picture with presymptomatic spread is less clear. But we must stop being dogmatic about every proclamation handed down from on high. The voices that change the scientific understanding are always, at first, minority voices. Particularly in a globalised world where the likes of Fauci, the WHO and so on are unavoidably politically tainted.

I agree it's a very minor part of the story but it is still a part of the story and as such masks do still play a part in limiting the spread of covid19.

Maybe have a look at a dictionary and learn what the word spectrum means. I wasn't using it as a slur about autism or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

a year ago I bought into the whole lockdown fully , flatten the curve , save our health system- a year on , I am beyond depressed about the whole fiasco - typified by the vaccine rollout - we got a vaccine with a 90% effectivness last November - unbelievable good news yet Ireland and the EU stop vaccinations of AZ due to clots , that are no higher than occur normally - its like ther over-catiousness has now stopped the vast majority from living , even getting Hope of ever living - we were supposed to have a living with Covid plan , a year on all we have is a never-ending level 5 lockdown - one year is a long time. I now wonder when it will ever end have lost all hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement