Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You don't appear to actually understand the 5km rule. It has nothing to do with shopping or how many people from a family go shopping. It only applies to exercise.

Right now you can load up the family and drive to a supermarket if you wish. Doesn't matter if that's 20kms or 2kms away. What you can't do is load up the family and bring them to a beach 6kms away.  You could if it was 5kms away. 

You're right. I always mix that up.

The general rule about being outside except essential reasons is the scenario I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I, for one, don't know. What kind of audit would you suggest? Internal performance audit, reconciling model forecasts against actuals, expenses audit? I'd imagine they're subject to the same audits as any other part of government.

You'd also probably imagine that a cost benefit analysis was conducted by the government as to how many lives will be lost due to cancelled cancer screening / increase in poverty / mental health issues etc and see if "benefits" outweigh the costs. Doesnt mean such was conducted.

You'd also probably imagine that a cost benefit analysis was conducted by the government as to how many lives will be lost due to cancelled cancer screening / increase in poverty / mental health issues etc and see if "benefits" outweigh the costs. Doesnt mean such was conducted.

Yeah that’s kind of detailed calculation might have been carried out and it might not. There wasn’t time to do those kind of studies so if it was done, it was likely as a model with ranges of likelihood of outcomes.

If they were done, and they showed that they made the right decision, would you be happy with that?

Yeah that’s kind of detailed calculation might have been carried out and it might not. There wasn’t time to do those kind of studies so if it was done, it was likely as a model with ranges of likelihood of outcomes.

If they were done, and they showed that they made the right decision, would you be happy with that?

They had 12 months to do it.

I feel like if we spend the next 2 years in lockdown and I post identical question, your answer will also be identical.

Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I feel like if we spend the next 2 years in lockdown and I post identical question, your answer will also be identical.

Scary

The same people will continue roll out the excuses indefinitely if you dare to question anything. NPHET and the politicians are infallible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

the kelt wrote: »

I need to stop reading this forum. It pisses me off, lol

It always does people good, I think, to remember that the medical profession was the one with the largest percentage membership to the Nazi party in the 30s. It's one of those niggling facts that should hang around at the back of the mind whenever one is being told to heed "the experts". Healthy skepticism and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

It always does people good, I think, to remember that the medical profession was the one with the largest percentage membership to the Nazi party in the 30s. It's one of those niggling facts that should hang around at the back of the mind whenever one is being told to heed "the experts". Healthy skepticism and all that.

I was not aware of that....

During the Weimar Republic in the mid-twentieth century, more than half of all German physicians became early joiners of the Nazi Party, surpassing the party enrollments of all other professions.

I thought you were talking through your hat!

Scary

Between imagining new variants in the future and imagining what I would say in the future, you’re scared by your own imaginings.

Also, you did t answer the question, but that’s ok. You’re not a question and answer kind of poster.

12 months is probably enough data to do retrospective studies. Might be, might not be. They might have resources to do those studies at the moment, they might not. Governments had to down tools in so many areas that a lot of data wasn’t collected for big portions of last year. Might be possible, might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lost my great grandad to them, I often wonder what he'd think of what's happening now at the request of physicians, I've a niggling feeling he'd say start blasting.
    I'm sure somewhere along the line some of the Nazis and sympathisers realized war was the wrong strategy, now a global health emergency there's an idea most people wouldn't even mind giving away their freedoms for.
    We're in a strange place when even Eddie Hobbs thinks there's more than a pandemic behind what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm actually worried now that NPHET and the government have absolutely lost the plot.

2,500 Gardai deployed tomorrow at public amenities and to monitor protests.

Now I've no problem with them monitoring protests but if they try to stop people accessing their local parks and amenities to enjoy the sunshine and go for a walk we have lost the plot.

Yes crack down on antisocial behaviour or people drinking outdoirs but leave the rest of us alone.

Stop telling people to stay indoors when we have a day off and might actually be able to top up on our Vitamin D in a country that gets very little sun!

Why are they also telling people not to drink? Ffs if someone wants a glass of wine in their own house on St. Patrick's Day what harm is that!

Yes tell people no parties, but staying no alcohol and stay at home is just a step too far.

I haven't broken one restriction during all these lockdowns but I'm running out of patience at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm actually worried now that NPHET and the government have absolutely lost the plot.

At this point i'd feel safer if Coronavirus held a press conference telling us how it's going to save us from Government and NPHET.

At this point i'd feel safer if Coronavirus held a press conference telling us how it's going to save us from Government and NPHET.

10/10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

We'd be rooting for Corona virus. The Govt and NPHET have proven to be more hazardous to our health than anything this virus ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Ewan MacKenna just on Virgin media there. Spoke nothing but sense and cold hard facts but the presenter cut him off. He was on for 3 minutes but would have been shorter if she got her way.

I just cannot understand why we, Ireland have had to suffer the strictest and longest lockdown in all of Europe. Why? Why is no one in government asking this? Why are opposition parties and independents not asking these questions?

I just cannot get my head around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Lundstram wrote: »
    Ewan MacKenna just on Virgin media there. Spoke nothing but sense and cold hard facts but the presenter cut him off. He was on for 3 minutes but would have been shorter if she got her way.

I just cannot understand why we, Ireland have had to suffer the strictest and longest lockdown in all of Europe. Why? Why is no one in government asking this? Why are opposition parties and independents not asking these questions?

I just cannot get my head around it.

We don't have an opposition. SF and the Soc Dems don't think the government are going far enough. They got dragged onto the ISAG zero covid train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

RGS wrote: »
    We don't have an opposition. SF and the Soc Dems don't think the government are going far enough. They got dragged onto the ISAG zero covid train.

Indeed. Too busy talking about leaked documents which no one really gives a flying fcuk about but show complete cowardice when questioned on our restrictions.

SF are an embarrassment to politics.

Sounds like a massive house party across the road from me, cars coming and going most of the night too. Month ago I probably would have called the po po but not arsed now. There's at least 10 houses closer than I am as well so seems like most people can't be bothered any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

RGS wrote: »

The Communists don't want this Pseudo-Communism to end. Who didn't see that coming. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

appledrop wrote: »

I'm just as concerned about how little the general public and media seem to question any of it. That comment from Dr Walley at the NPHET briefing should have set off alarm bells.

Dr Walley described situations such as a woman who had attended the funerals of two of her brothers, before becoming very ill with Covid-19 herself.

“I asked her what was the lesson she learned and she said she should not have gone to either of her brother’s funerals,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

bluelamp wrote: »
    I'm just as concerned about how little the general public and media seem to question any of it. That comment from Dr Walley at the NPHET briefing should have set off alarm bells.

Dr Walley described situations such as a woman who had attended the funerals of two of her brothers, before becoming very ill with Covid-19 herself.

“I asked her what was the lesson she learned and she said she should not have gone to either of her brother’s funerals,” he said.

Heard a bit of his interview with Kieran cuddihy on newstalk, from the bit i heard it wasn't a hard hitting interview, it was rather soft. I do think cuddihy is very much on the dont knock NPHET side of the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭appledrop

Blue lamp I didn't hear that, that's so concerning.

I think that's only so much we can take of ah it's only one St. Patrick's Day or one Easter etc but it's all a pack of lies with no end in sight.

We are now going into our second Easter, St. Patrick's Day in lockdown.

By 5th April we will be in our 4th month of lockdown with no end date in sight.

People need hope. People are working or not able to work but no joy or anything to look forward to. No weddings , birthdays, holidays, even funerals to celebrate the life of a friend or loved one.

There is a breaking point and I fear as a nation we are getting close to it.

We're also a month into missing what were already quite low predictions for vaccinations and the recent bits of news have just knocked a fair bit of out of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I've said it before, but SF are the weakest opposition in the history of the State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I just cannot understand why we, Ireland have had to suffer the strictest and longest lockdown in all of Europe.
    Because we had the worst figures in all of Europe.

Has that not been mentioned at least 50 times already in the thread??
    Why is no one in government asking this? Why are opposition parties and independents not asking these questions?
    Because they already know the answer... we had the worst figures in all of Europe.

In 31 of 40 countries in Europe the figures are rising. They'll soon have strict lockdowns too.
    Sounds like a massive house party across the road. Month ago I probably would have called the po po but not arsed now.
    It's attitudes like theirs and yours that have us where we are. Until public behaviour changes we're never going to get to the point were we can safely open up.

The gov should have clamped down when they saw that this lockdown was not being taken seriously. They should have pushed for more people to be working from home, for less 'leisurely' retail shopping. For less non essential businesses to be open.

A strict Lv5 could have had us to where we needed to be within 5-6 weeks. Now, because they turned a blind eye, and because of attitudes like the above, it's going to take months longer than is should have.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Because we had the worst figures in all of Europe.

Has that not been mentioned at least 50 times already in the thread??

Because they already know the answer... we had the worst figures in all of Europe.

In 31 of 40 countries in Europe the figures are rising. They'll soon have strict lockdowns too.

It's attitudes like theirs and yours that have us where we are. Until public behaviour changes we're never going to get to the point were we can safely open up.

The gov should have clamped down when they saw that this lockdown was not being taken seriously. They should have pushed for more people to be working from home, for less 'leisurely' retail shopping. For less non essential businesses to be open.

A strict Lv5 could have had us to where we needed to be within 5-6 weeks. Now, because they turned a blind eye, and because of attitudes like the above, it's going to take months longer than is should have.

In the past 12 months, how many weeks have we had the worst figures in Europe?

1? Maybe 2?

And wasn’t that mostly down to a computer that couldn’t process the backlog properly while everyone was on Christmas hols.

Who cares anymore. This year is a write off as far the government are concerned. No hunger to get out of lockdown.

In the past 12 months, how many weeks have we had the worst figures in Europe?

1? Maybe 2?.
    I don't know. For how many months did we have the strictest lockdown? January, Feb, March....

It's strictest lockdown in name only. In reality, it's not very strict at all.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Who cares anymore. This year is a write off as far the government are concerned. No hunger to get out of lockdown.
    No hunger to get out of lockdown? I think you are very much mistaken. No government wants to be unpopular. The longer we're in lockdown the less popular the gov are becoming.

Lots care. Lots are making an effort to stop the spread. But there seems to be an increasing number who don't care and that's extending things.

• Advertisement

No hunger to get out of lockdown? I think you are very much mistaken. No government wants to be unpopular. The longer we're in lockdown the less popular the gov are becoming.

Lots care. Lots are making an effort to stop the spread. But there seems to be an increasing number who don't care and that's extending things.

No its not. The only thing that's going to lift lockdown in Ireland is vaccines. Doesn't matter what we do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement