Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Florida has been open with no masks and lockdowns since August of last year. And guess what. Everybody there is fine. People didn't start dropping like flies. Bodies aren't piling up in the middle of the street and whatever scare tactics we've been flooded with to keep this nonsense going.

Masks and lockdowns are clearly not necessary to control this virus. Its time people accepted this.

Actually, while mask mandates have not been implemented in Florida and fines for not wearing masks have been outlawed statewide, a lot of people in Florida have been wearing masks and keeping their distance from others as much as is practically possible while also continuing on with their business.

It's almost as though when you give people information and arm them with facts, they are relatively good at making their own risk assessments and acting accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Maynooth is jammed, loads of street food and drink,weather is scorching, hope the summer stays like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Gardaí in Dublin are bracing themselves for a “difficult” St Patrick's Day as they grapple with up to eight separate protests and events due to take place in the city.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40245806.html

Thats just in Dublin. I have a feeling we will wake up a different nation tomorrow, I dont know why.

Good. This has gone on long enough. People aren't falling the emotional blackmailing [Behave and MAYBE we'll ease some restrictions on April 5th] anymore. We're a year into this. And 5 1/2 out of 6 months in this lockdown with no end in sight. We deserve more than maybe's at this stage.

Actually, while mask mandates have not been implemented in Florida and fines for not wearing masks have been outlawed statewide, a lot of people in Florida have been wearing masks and keeping their distance from others as much as is practically possible while also continuing on with their business.

It's almost as though when you give people information and arm them with facts, they are relatively good at making their own risk assessments and acting accordingly.

I have no problem with people choosing to wear a mask if they so desire. Its when they try to force the rest of us into wearing one is the problem. It never should have been forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Good. This has gone on long enough. People aren't falling the emotional blackmailing [Behave and MAYBE we'll ease some restrictions on April 5th] anymore. We're a year into this. And 5 1/2 out of 6 months in this lockdown with no end in sight. We deserve more than maybe's at this stage.

Ending the marathon with the finish line in sight, a sad state of affairs

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »

Get out of here with that Bull****. There is no finish line because they refuse to set one. Anybody who believes their lies that the end is near [yet can set a date to begin reopening] deserves the constant disappointment from the lies these clowns constantly spew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Problem is there is no end in sight, there is in the UK but not here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Rosita

the kelt wrote: »
    We have people who drink drive and speed and apply the law as appropriate by punishing those people.

We don’t ban the entire country from driving!

/QUOTE]

This is a separate argument to the one I made which was countering the fallacy that the measures are not working. They are. The figures don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Get out of here with that Bull****. There is no finish line because they refuse to set one. Anybody who believes their lies that the end is near [yet can set a date to begin reopening] deserves the constant disappointment from the lies these clowns constantly spew.

They haven't even set a date for when construction restarts! It didn't stop in every other country in the world! More blatant lies and bull**** from the pro lockdown crowd.

Dunno what to say or think anymore this is now going on so long. Happy St. Patrick’s day everyone. Was in supermarket earlier v. busy on a national holiday loads of people buying drink and some buying food of course. Nice to see small kids about with hair in green ribbons, flag bobbins etc. Some businesses with the Irish flag out and even closed businesses due to l/ down had nice green window displays for Paddies day. Saw two people wearing shamrock and people eating green ice cream. Guess it’s the weather for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

mightyreds wrote: »
    Problem is there is no end in sight, there is in the UK but not here

It's a very unfunny joke at this stage

I have no problem with people choosing to wear a mask if they so desire. Its when they try to force the rest of us into wearing one is the problem. It never should have been forced.

What's the issue with masks?
    Least of our worries IMO.
    Italy, Germany & France heading into restrictions after periods of easing them.
    Can't live with covid, vaccines only way out.

Some folk never even put the runners on.
    Mocked from the sidelines

Rosita wrote: »
    This is a separate argument to the one I made which was countering the fallacy that the measures are not working. They are. The figures don't lie.

Nobody, including you, knows this. Waves have come and gone in various countries regardless of restrictions in place, and out status as "the worst numbers" back in January was partly a result of us being the closest neighbour to the origin country of a much more transmissible variant and partly a result of us haveing very few population centers in Ireland. Dublin being hit with a significant outbreak in Ireland is the equivalent of three quarters of major cities in the US being hit at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dublin49

Some people are so certain they are right in these uncertain times they are either insanely intelligent or more likely it a personality trait they manifest regularly when faced with choices.I am I think reasonably well informed but have'nt a breeze what the right thing to do is.One thing that I do know is that there is nearly always a strong correlation between a person's opinion and their their best interests.

Augeo wrote: »

Not for us. We will never be vaccinated in sufficient numbers to make it in time for travel season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭aziz

Yup,better not be getting ideas above our station
    Wet weekends for all in ballyhaunis this year

Not for us. We will never be vaccinated in sufficient numbers to make it in time for travel season.

Negative test might cut the mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Florida has been open with no masks and lockdowns since August of last year. And guess what. Everybody there is fine. People didn't start dropping like flies. Bodies aren't piling up in the middle of the street and whatever scare tactics we've been flooded with to keep this nonsense going.

Masks and lockdowns are clearly not necessary to control this virus. Its time people accepted this.

Good for Florida.
    Meanwhile parts of Brazil are in dire condition with status ‘purple’ and yes,bodies actually piling up,while places in the Southern Hemisphere seem to be on top of it,and different scenarios evolving regularly in each region of the world.

So masks (what ever about lockdowns) are clearly not necessary? Nothing is clear about this pandemic until it’s over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Doom and gloom, doom and gloom, doom and gloom.

And here was me thinking d’meeja was the source of bad news. Here we have good news being shot down with doom and gloom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

This is it. Unfortunately we can't be certain about the situation. I wouldn't go as far as to put numbers on probabilities but your numbers describe the uncertainty.

The UK is planning for a fourth wave in July when restrictions are planned to be dropped. They're not certain whether that will be sustainable or not but they're taking a punt on it working out ok. The warm weather will certainly help.

Whether we will be able to drop all restrictions before winter is unknown at this point. And If we do drop them, whether we'll be able to maintain no restrictions all through winter is also unknown at this point.

We can only hope for now but the UK will provide a good example as they're head of us in vaccinations. If things go great for them then we'll most likely follow suit when we catch up in vaccinations.

The UK are planning for a 4th wave in July? first I've heard of it and I live here. 25 million people have had atleast their first dose here today. Anyone over 50 who hasn't had theirs, can now book online.

Add on the fact that a recent ONS release suggests a third of all 16-24 year olds, a quarter of all 25-49 year olds, a third of all 50-69 year olds and half of all 70-74 have antibodies. And the likelihood that all adults will have had BOTH doses by July, who the hell is it going to be infecting?

Has everyone forgotten how little cases there was last summer, even under less restrictions?

The UK are planning for a 4th wave in July? first I've heard of it and I live here. 25 million people have had atleast their first dose here today. Anyone over 50 who hasn't had theirs, can now book online.

Add on the fact that a recent ONS release suggests a third of all 16-24 year olds, a quarter of all 25-49 year olds, a third of all 50-69 year olds and half of all 70-74 have antibodies. And the likelihood that all adults will have had BOTH doses by July, who the hell is it going to be infecting?

Has everyone forgotten how little cases there was last summer, even under less restrictions?

Yes, they (the UK government) is planning for a fourth wage in July. They're hoping to drop all restrictions in June so planning for a fourth wave in the following month. I presume that whether that wave materialises and what magnitude it has and what impact it has as people are vaccinated as the weather will be warm by then, will be part of the scenario planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The J&J will get us over 70% in June even if not one Astra makes it through.

Tazz T wrote: »
    The J&J will get us over 70% in June even if not one Astra makes it through.
    Ireland won’t get to 70% by June. We’d be doing well to get to 70% by the end of the year without the under 18s.

Might be possible to get to 70% of the adult population, but it’s unlikely by June. Where did June come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

My call regarding Astra Zeneca announcement tomorrow.

They’ll delay the redistribution to allow more time to ironically “study the science” with the potential blood clotting issue.

It’s the perfect smokescreen and scapegoat for the European balls up for vaccine sourcing.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Augeo wrote: »

NO way, these clowns couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, Ireland will be declined travel anywhere.... Unclean Unclean..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Might be possible to get to 70% of the adult population

I’m quite sure that’s what the poster meant, the most important that need vaccinating which is going to make the difference in this crisis.

NO way, these clowns couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, Ireland will be declined travel anywhere.... Unclean Unclean..

Who'd come here anyway? No way would our hotels be back online in time for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Who'd come here anyway? No way would our hotels be back online in time for it.

And we wont be going anywhere other than Bray.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement