Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-03-18/spains-coronavirus-incidence-rate-rises-for-the-first-time-since-end-of-january.html

And this why this sh1t will never end, these ridicoulous targets :

This is about the minimum it CAN get to, this is why we will see mini peaks now , having 50/25 per 100k as a target is fantasy nonsense that is just impossible to get to - as cases amoung young and healthy will keep it above that.

We are looking at a situation in months to come when we will have restrictions yet empty hospitals and practically zero deaths.

utter madness.

Not at all. As the vaccines roll out this will end (unless we import a resistant variant)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

I'm sure it was supposed to have the opposite effect of stopping to investigate the health issue and restarting once it was found to be ok . Ignoring the potential health problem would surely be unending fodder for the anti-vaxxers.

In any case, we're up to 12.4% vaccinated* which is slightly ahead of the EU average of 11.6.%. Ireland is 25th in the world according to this. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1194939/rate-covid-vaccination-by-county-worldwide/

*not sure if this is total population or adult population.

Of course...........but it's anti-vaxxers we're talking about here.........the doubt was sown the minute it was suspended/paused etc etc and that will be all that matters.

Anyway no tin foil hat discussions.......pretty pointless !!

Lets just hope they get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

the kelt wrote: »
    It was funny but i listened to a clip from Newstalk where they quoted Paul Reid saying "we wont be found wanting" (what a patriot)in terms of delay when it comes to resuming vaccinations but of course the front page of the Irish Times quoted another HSE source saying it will take several days to get going again!

But "hold firm" everybody! "We are on a knife edge here"

The real panic will be when they run out of metaphors!!

:):) Something I read earlier (can't remember where) about one of them talking about being on a ridge precariously balanced in-between two peaks....or some Sh**e....

I think they are running out of metaphors....that will be a disaster.

Personally I like a good old 'deeply concerned', classic stuff !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    :):) Something I read earlier (can't remember where) about one of them talking about being on a ridge precariously balanced in-between two peaks....or some Sh**e....

I think they are running out of metaphors....that will be a disaster.

Personally I like a good old 'deeply concerned', classic stuff !!

They are utter spoofers.

Florida, Sweden, Bahrain etc are all open with few restrictions. Bars restaurants etc open. We are still locked down by the fanatics in NPHET.

I was stopped by a Garda on the DART and told to turn back yesterday so I had to cancel a date in the Phoenix Park. I got off at the next stop and walked around a beauty spot for the day before I went home. Today I went by the DART into the city centre and we met up. That dork of a Garda is probably hassling some granny on her way to play cards with her friends today.

Anyone who still believes in this crap is delusional.

Why the streets aren't jammed with people demanding we open up I cannot understand.
    The biggest protests in the history of the srate were against the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in 2003. Nearly 20 years on we are on our knees like at no time since the War of Independence and Civil War and our people are as docile as lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

According to the HSE the fall in hospitalisations has stalled and NHPET are saying the spread of disease has stopped falling and has been static for a week.

At the end of the day everyone can do their part in helping the country out by sticking to the rules. If enough people don't want to do that then we just get back in to trouble and more grief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Monster249 wrote: »
    What do you mean "simply not true"?

NPHET are always going to be conservative with everything, they're doctors. Just because cases increased when we opened up doesn't proclaim NPHET the all-knowing elders of our country.

They should be used for advice and advice only. There has to be balance.

And thats the way it is, so happens the Govt largely agree with their advice as do most of the body politic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

They are utter spoofers.

Florida, Sweden, Bahrain etc are all open with few restrictions. Bars restaurants etc open. We are still locked down by the fanatics in NPHET.

I was stopped by a Garda on the DART and told to turn back yesterday so I had to cancel a date in the Phoenix Park. I got off at the next stop and walked around a beauty spot for the day before I went home. Today I went by the DART into the city centre and we met up. That dork of a Garda is probably hassling some granny on her way to play cards with her friends today.

Why the streets aren't jammed with people demanding we open up I cannot understand.
    The biggest protests in the history of the srate were against the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in 2003. Nearly 20 years on we are on our knees like at no time since the War of Independence and Civil War and our people are as docile as lambs.

So why weren't you protesting yesterday instead of swanning off for a date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,071 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They are utter spoofers.

Can you go on mute Paula?

They are utter spoofers.

That's just it you don't. You are probably young so I can understand to some extent but this will end with the vaccine roll outs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

And thats the way it is, so happens the Govt largely agree with their advice as do most of the body politic

The government are scared sh**less. If NPHET said we must stay in level 5 till all over 18s are vaccinated the government will do it.

It's amazing so many people are just accepting of NPHETS pronouncements without question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

RGS wrote: »
    The government are scared sh**less. If NPHET said we must stay in level 5 till all over 18s are vaccinated the government will do it.

It's amazing so many people are just accepting of NPHETS pronouncements without question.

It's the herd mentality of this country, we, as a whole, lack the critical thinking ability to question authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

RGS wrote: »

If your doctor tells you you have terminal cancer and to get your affairs in order do you question his/her judgement?

Do you say, "hold on!, I'm going to take some time to get other non-medical opinions on this matter?"

Of course you don't. Doctors know what they are doing.

Why then is it OK to ignore NPHETs advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If your doctor tells you you have terminal cancer and to get your affairs in order do you question his/her judgement?

Do you say, "hold on I'm going to take some time to get other non-medical opinions on this matter?"

If your doctor tells you that you may die from going outside due to a severe year-round allergy, do you never go outside even though obesity, depression or any of the other maladies associated with a sedentary lifestyle may also kill you?

That’s the problem with analogies like yours. You are labourinf under the delusion that there is no equivalent health consequence of ongoing social isolation as there is of covid infections.

Covid May kill you. Loneliness, chronic boredom and cabin fever may also kill you. NPHET, the media, and the government consistently ignore the reality of the latter with a myopic focus on the former, and that is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Of course...........but it's anti-vaxxers we're talking about here.........the doubt was sown the minute it was suspended/paused etc etc and that will be all that matters.

Anyway no tin foil hat discussions.......pretty pointless !!

Lets just hope they get the finger out.

60% uptake would have been a good result, I still think they'll get around that, the problem is when we get into boosters and possibly flu shots as well, uptake then will probably fall to about 40/50% similar to normal flu jab uptake.

I've done a good bit of traveling and would have got all my shots along the way, wouldn't have interest in the flu jab until I'm about 65 or if I become at risk before then. Spending the next 20 odd years getting covid jabs and boosters probably twice a year isn't something that appeals to me.
    I don't think it makes me anti vax i'm just looking at the long game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I personally know of a doctor who I wouldn’t trust to tell me the time. I know it’s really convenient and reassuring to assume that they all “know what they’re doing” but they often don’t.

In the past I once got a second opinion in relation psoriasis and gotten a completely different diagnosis and recommendation.

Our CMO is a GP with no formal qualifications in infectious diseases, immunology or epidemiology.

And finally, no one...not even our glorious NPHET know the full effectiveness and unintended consequences of endless lockdowns. We have no data on this whatsoever. It doesn’t exist. So we’re staring into an abyss at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Because Covid is not the only issue affecting the lives of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Do you say, "hold on!, I'm going to take some time to get other non-medical opinions on this matter?"

Doctors are not always right and neither are NPHET always right.

Medical negligence insurance is a costly business, as a result of mistakes by doctors.

Theres reports of birth defect settlements on the news regularly.

The old adage doctors differ patients die wasnt coined because doctors are infallible.

On balance, the economic cost is now far too great with vaccines in the mix. Not to mention the future costs of delayed access to healthcare, mental heath services, and the social cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And finally, no one...not even our glorious NPHET know the full effectiveness and unintended consequences of endless lockdowns. We have no data on this whatsoever

What we have data on is insurance claims for critical illness, those claims are way down which is going to create more life(death) cover claims as people will have missed treatment windows for a host or illnesses especially Cancer.
    The insurance industry knows the unintended consequences.

On balance, the economic cost is now far too great with vaccines in the mix. Not to mention the future costs of delayed access to healthcare, mental heath services, and the social cost.

Have you figures to back that up?

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Have you figures to back that up?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1198658/

Over 6 billion in the PUP to February. Figures of 1.4 billion cost per week for all supports a while back.
    The rest will be hard to quantify until we’re out of this.
    But I think we can all agree this isn’t sustainable, virus or no virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭snotboogie

60% uptake would have been a good result, I still think they'll get around that, the problem is when we get into boosters and possibly flu shots as well, uptake then will probably fall to about 40/50% similar to normal flu jab uptake.

I've done a good bit of traveling and would have got all my shots along the way, wouldn't have interest in the flu jab until I'm about 65 or if I become at risk before then. Spending the next 20 odd years getting covid jabs and boosters probably twice a year isn't something that appeals to me.
    I don't think it makes me anti vax i'm just looking at the long game.

Two boosters a year is extraordinarily unlikely. It'll most likely be a two shot vaccine with maybe a booster a few months down the line to deal with varients and that'll almost certainly be it for years. People who have recovered from Sars cov 1 still have immunity 20 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1198658/

Over 6 billion in the PUP to February. Figures of 1.4 billion cost per week for all supports a while back.
    The rest will be hard to quantify until we’re out of this.
    But I think we can all agree this isn’t sustainable, virus or no virus.

Heard an financial journalist talking about mortgage arrears and loan arrears. None of these are getting addressed at the moment. He even referenced that many were dealing with arrears from the economic collapse of 10 years ago.
    Usually I find those that are dismissive of the economic cost of this have a guaranteed income and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanod99

Why aren't you out there then? Organise something. There is no voice of opposition in government so it's down to the people.

Me personally I don't want to be lumped into the mentally deranged far right crowd as the media/RTE make out anyone against lockdown as being automatically anti vax crazies (edit: anti vax being those thinking the vaccines are mind control etc, not someone apprehensive of a new vaccine) etc. Imagine if you went to the Dublin protest the other day and the person standing next to you is holding up some stupid sign like Covid is a mind control virus developed in some lab blah blah blah or a hoax perpetuated by governments the world over, because that's all who turned up. I think there is a much larger percentage of people who want to open up than the media or any of these quick polls let on.

Someone needs to stand up and say the majority of us are normal tax paying, law abiding citizens, who just want to see friends again, go to the beach etc to differentiate us from the far right. The crazies need to put the conspiracy theories aside for the moment and help us actually get out of lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭VonLuck

When are we expecting an announcement from the government on what's happening on the 5th of April? The end of next week maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Such drivel, the concept of getting a second opinion is long and well established in medical circles.

If my doctor told me I was going to die, damn right I am getting more opinions on the matter.

*Mod Snip - start a thread in another forum if you want to discuss this*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭appledrop

VonLuck wrote: »
    When are we expecting an announcement from the government on what's happening on the 5th of April? The end of next week maybe?

Yes they said a week before 5th but I wouldn't hold your breath about anything really being lifted.

The schools are back and numbers are going to go up but of course they will never admit its the schools so we will all be blamed and will be given a slap on wrist.

They know there are in big trouble if numbers rise now schools are back because apart from closing schools again actually nothing else they can do.

By April 5th we are in fourth month of Level 5 restrictions, what a joke.

By the way I've no problem with schools being back for the sake of the kids but they have to expect that numbers will rise now they are back and its not due to us all having mad parties on St. Patrick's Day.

Watch this space for that being the explanation in two weeks time when cases are high, but really due to all p rimary schools being back and 5th and 6th year in secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

They are utter spoofers.

What a sad sad little power hungry prick that Gard is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What a sad sad little power hungry prick that Gard is.

Yes, imagine that. A guard enforcing the law. Who does he think he is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

According to the HSE the fall in hospitalisations has stalled and NHPET are saying the spread of disease has stopped falling and has been static for a week.

At the end of the day everyone can do their part in helping the country out by sticking to the rules. If enough people don't want to do that then we just get back in to trouble and more grief.

They are static as they have reached a plateau, they can't fall any lower as the virus is endemic if anything it will just start to rise again because thats the natural pattern of these.

NPHET have set an impossible target of <100 cases a day and R number of 0.5, they know this is impossible - so restrictions will continue....

Rinse and repeat - and people like you will clap along and maybe in 2 years time you will start to see the utter insanity of it ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement