Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

VonLuck wrote: »
    Yes, imagine that. A guard enforcing the **morally questionable** laws. Who does he think he is?

fixed that there for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

Yes, imagine that. A guard enforcing the law. Who does he think he is?
    I was thinking the same.Perhaps now, people will be more kind to the RIC who were also enforcing the law. No wonder FG wanted to commemorate them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭VonLuck

d161 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same.Perhaps now, people will be more kind to the RIC who were also enforcing the law. No wonder FG wanted to commemorate them

I think that fits under Godwin's Law right there. Maybe there's an alternative name when you mention the RIC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If your doctor tells you you have terminal cancer and to get your affairs in order do you question his/her judgement?

Do you say, "hold on!, I'm going to take some time to get other non-medical opinions on this matter?"

Of course you don't. Doctors know what they are doing.

Why then is it OK to ignore NPHETs advice?

It's more like an Irish doctor says you'll die and an English, French, German, Danish, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian etc doctor say it's ok though.

I think that fits under Godwin's Law right there. Maybe there's an alternative name when you mention the RIC?
    Don't think the RIC were at that level?
    The point stands, both police forces enforced tyranny on the Irish population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

You are cheering now, but remember one day they will come for you ...

You are cheering now, but remember one day they will come for you ...

I'll listen out for the sound of goose stepping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Hooked

Enforcing the law... please...

We all know that the Gardai are happy to turn a blind eye to a lot of really serious crime day to day, but get a raging hard on when telling innocent people like this to turn around and go home for wandering outside their ‘idiotic’ 5km radius.

I can’t wait to hit the road next weekend... bound to be checkpoints in Ennis.

‘Where ya off to’

To visit a grave...

Cue some smart arse reply from the Gardai - asking either the name or connection to the deceased - or asking is it REALLY an essential journey.

To which I’ll reply.. well, it clearly states on gov.ie that a travel exception can be made to visit a grave, during Level 5

So, if there’s nothing else Gard, I’ll be on my way

It’s beyond a joke now.

I'll listen out for the sound of goose stepping.

You seem to have a thing for the nazis. If I check your post history will I see that you agree with removing people's freedoms?

Hooked wrote: »
    Enforcing the law... please...

We all know that the Gardai are happy to turn a blind eye to a lot of really serious crime day to day, but get a raging hard on when telling innocent people like this to turn around and go home for wandering outside their ‘idiotic’ 5km radius.

I can’t wait to hit the road next weekend... bound to be checkpoints in Ennis.

‘Where ya off to’

To visit a grave...

Cue some smart arse reply from the Gardai - asking either the name or connection to the deceased - or asking is it REALLY an essential journey.

To which I’ll reply.. well, it clearly states on gov.ie that an travel exception can be made to visit a grace.

So, if there’s nothing else Gard, I’ll be on my way

It’s beyond a joke now.

What do you think guards are getting out of this? Please enlighten me. And don't tell me it's some sort of power trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Are there any publicians here would be willing to re-open?

The 'wet pub' for the want of a better phrase!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Except these restrictions aren't law. Show me where they are in the Constitution.

What do you think guards are getting out of this? Please enlighten me. And don't tell me it's some sort of power trip.
    Kids getting stabbed on the Northside, or threatened with knives to give up their bikes.
    But 4 guards at every covid checkpoint.
    You tell me what that is?

You seem to have a thing for the nazis. If I check your post history will I see that you agree with removing people's freedoms?

Clearly haven't heard of Godwin's law so.

Laws are based around restricting people's freedoms to do whatever they want, didn't you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It’s unfair to blame the guards tbf. They tried the common sense approach and the government and NPHET tore them a new one over it. If the enforcement of the restrictions pisses you off, direct your ire at those who preside over the actual restrictions. Guards either enforce the law as written and passed by government, or they are no longer a legitimate police force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Kids getting stabbed on the Northside, or threatened with knives to give up their bikes.
    But 4 guards at every covid checkpoint.
    You tell me what that is?

What checkpoints?

Why would they? They got raises [I mean Pay Restorations] through out this and they're being paid a full time salary for part time work. I'm sure they're chomping at the bit to end this. :rolleyes: That won't stop them from claiming they were against them at the next general election though.

It’s unfair to blame the guards tbf. They tried the common sense approach and the government and NPHET tore them a new one over it. If the enforcement of the restrictions pisses you off, direct your ire at those who preside over the actual restrictions. Guards either enforce the law as written and passed by government, or they are no longer a legitimate police force.

If the Garda Commissioner and the Minister of Justice had any backbone they would come out and say that that AGS are not enforcing any more of these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Heard an financial journalist talking about mortgage arrears and loan arrears. None of these are getting addressed at the moment. He even referenced that many were dealing with arrears from the economic collapse of 10 years ago.
    Usually I find those that are dismissive of the economic cost of this have a guaranteed income and secure.

Sure will be grand. Paschal will just borrow de money for his pension from some bank and roll it over and in time they'll be hoping that de man who lent us da money forgets.......

On a serious note though I had conversation with member of our Oireachtas just after the 2008 crash and got an answer in essence saying that they could just roll it over indefinitely and it will work out fine......

Heaven help us all though with upcoming budgets as reality is never quite as simple as our esteemed politician thought it would be. Hard to fathom we are still clearing down the mess from the last one and now this mess has been dumped on our collective laps.

Paschal et al will all be grand though and I suppose that is all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If the Garda Commissioner and the Minister of Justice had any backbone they would come out and say that that AGS are not enforcing any more of these restrictions.

why would you bite the hand that feeds you?

• Advertisement

Clearly haven't heard of Godwin's law so.

Laws are based around restricting people's freedoms to do whatever they want, didn't you know?
    Was i
    t the goose step comment or :-
    Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies,[1][2] is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely.[2]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,834 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Only if they're willing to sign the pub and house over to the first person to fall in the pub, cause their insurance would be null and void.

Was out the goose step comment or :-
    Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies,[1][2] is an Internet adage asserting that "as an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler becomes more likely.[2]

Was in reference to the earlier comment on the RIC and the whole "just obeying orders" suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Was out the goose step comment or :-

Well we have Holohan's law which means the longer and longer people listen to him the more like some tin pot dictator he becomes !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Only if they're willing to sign the pub and house over to the first person to fall in the pub, cause their insurance would be null and void.

I was thinking that also! I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get in either

but I would enjoy a social pint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Or they should go the other way
    Actually enforce them properly

Or they should go the other way
    Actually enforce them properly

These restrictions are not actual law. So if they did get too heavy handed they would be in Court more times than they would be on their patrols.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Except these restrictions aren't law. Show me where they are in the Constitution.

:confused:

Please explain....

Was in reference to the earlier comment on the RIC and the whole "just obeying orders" suggestion.
    I was tempted to make a smart arsed reply, but I'll refrain.
    Generally I don't believe the guards can be happy with what they've been told to do. Privately I'm sure the more pensive guard knows that they are subjugating the Irish people.
    The RIC whilst being armed also followed orders. I wonder where this can go.
    I didn't make any nazi analogies.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    What checkpoints?

Don't understand your question. In my part of Dublin there are 3 permanent checkpoints within 3km.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement