Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

d161 wrote: »
    Don't understand your question. In my part of Dublin there are 3 permanent checkpoints within 3km.

Haven't seen one since the pandemic started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

VonLuck wrote: »
    I'll listen out for the sound of goose stepping.

Laugh it up........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

my tupence worth , i wouldnt get excited or even bother loking at april 5th, very little if anything will get lifted. its late july for hotels, pubs and restauraunts, cinemas , gyms etc. maybe june for shopping centres and non essentials. but i would be very confident that wehn things open, with so many vacccinated and all vulnerable done by july that hospitalizations and deaths are extrelemly low. we need people to stop going for tests from may onwards to bring case numbers down. should be no need for people not sick to be getting tested for a disases thats not bothering them much. No tests = no cases. thats how this will end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Dickie10 wrote: »
    my tupence worth , i wouldnt get excited or even bother loking at april 5th, very little if anything will get lifted. its late july for hotels, pubs and restauraunts, cinemas , gyms etc. maybe june for shopping centres and non essentials. but i would be very confident that wehn things open, with so many vacccinated and all vulnerable done by july that hospitalizations and deaths are extrelemly low. we need people to stop going for tests from may onwards to bring case numbers down. should be no need for people not sick to be getting tested for a disases thats not bothering them much. No tests = no cases. thats how this will end.

No tests = no cases. What a bongo logic.. sounds like something a former US president would advocate.. yes tests, tests show cases, cases help with tracing tracing reduces cases.. less cases less likelihood someone gets admitted to hospital or dies.. crikey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Except these restrictions aren't law. Show me where they are in the Constitution.
    These restrictions are not actual law. So if they did get too heavy handed they would be in Court more times than they would be on their patrols.

Mod:

Except they are, in fact - the law. Stop peddling this lie or don't post in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

snotboogie wrote: »
    Two boosters a year is extraordinarily unlikely. It'll most likely be a two shot vaccine with maybe a booster a few months down the line to deal with varients and that'll almost certainly be it for years. People who have recovered from Sars cov 1 still have immunity 20 years later.

Two stories in the irish papers today claiming people were reinfected in less than 6mts, here's one with 3 galway students, Warning as students reinfected with Covid within six months
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/warning-as-students-reinfected-with-covid-within-six-months-40213070.html

If getting the virus is only good for a few months the vaccine isn't going to last 20yrs.

Now we've no idea if those students were even sick either time, had two mild doses, infected by a different strain or the pcr test picked up the original infection again. NPHET gave their 2 cent on it so I'd take the whole thing with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

papu wrote: »
    No tests = no cases. What a bongo logic.. sounds like something a former US president would advocate.. yes tests, tests show cases, cases help with tracing tracing reduces cases.. less cases less likelihood someone gets admitted to hospital or dies.. crikey

the vulnerable will be vaccinated. of course people may still catch covid but not in enough numbers to overwhelm the health system. heres afun fact people go into hospital and some die each and every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

Rodin wrote: »

Really, they are ever present in Dublin.
    Near me:-
    Amiens street on the way into town.
    Malahide Road out if town.
    Clontarf road at pond in St annes
    Howth Road just past Sutton Junction
    Occasionally at St Fintons in Sutton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭d161

d161 wrote: »
    Really, they are ever present in Dublin.
    Near me:-
    Amiens street on the way into town.
    Malahide Road out if town.
    Clontarf road at pond in St annes
    Howth Road just past Sutton Junction
    Occasionally at St Fintons in Sutton
    Google maps helps. Turn on traffic and you can see where the check points are. Not fool proof of course as it could be a new check point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If your doctor tells you you have terminal cancer and to get your affairs in order do you question his/her judgement?

Do you say, "hold on!, I'm going to take some time to get other non-medical opinions on this matter?"

Of course you don't. Doctors know what they are doing.

Why then is it OK to ignore NPHETs advice?

Are you saying you wouldn't get an unbiased second opinion? I certainly would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭quokula

If your doctor tells you that you may die from going outside due to a severe year-round allergy, do you never go outside even though obesity, depression or any of the other maladies associated with a sedentary lifestyle may also kill you?

If the doctor has already weighed up those other ailments, and came to the conclusion that not dying is more important than you potentially becoming obese by choosing not to exercise even though there's absolutely nothing stopping you from adapting and doing so, then yes, I'd listen to the doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

papu wrote: »

Sure, but when we are at the point of sufficient numbers vaccinificated , cases should be meaningless!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Rodin wrote: »

There have been a lot of them all around Dublin for months now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Sure, but when we are at the point of sufficient numbers vaccinificated , cases should be meaningless!!!!

I agree, but that wasn't said in the post I quoted. Poster just threw out May as an arbitrary date with no reasoning other than to bring case numbers down..
    Dickie10 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

If the Garda Commissioner and the Minister of Justice had any backbone they would come out and say that that AGS are not enforcing any more of these restrictions.

If the Garda Commissioner did this, it would literally be an act of insurgency against the democratic Irish state. If the minister for justice did it, she would simply have to rescind the emergency orders which created the restrictions to begin with.

Now, having said this, the Gardaí do actually have some leverage when it comes to getting ridiculous laws thrown off the books, and that has to do with resources. For example, I have it on good authority that the reason the moronic "2:30AM closing time for all nightclubs" thing from 2009 or so only survived for a year or two before being quietly abandoned, despite remaining on the statute books as an official law, is because senior Gardaí at the time had a meeting with the Department of Justice and basically said "Look, if you want us to enforce this law on every nightclub in Dublin that's fine. We're just going to need X million euro extra per year to recruit a whole f*ckload of new Gardaí and pay them the overtime which comes with working weekend night shifts. No way we can enforce it with what we have now".

This was in the early days of the recession when government spending had dropped off a cliff. As far as I know, the department backed off unbelievably quickly, hence now having 2:30 as the official closing time for all clubs, but getting away with 3:30 or 4 in the majority of places.

So there is definitely some leverage there, but it's still ultimately not the Gardaí's job to decide what the law should be and it's unfair of people to ask them to do that. Buck stops with the minister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

quokula wrote: »
    If the doctor has already weighed up those other ailments, and came to the conclusion that not dying is more important than you potentially becoming obese by choosing not to exercise even though there's absolutely nothing stopping you from adapting and doing so, then yes, I'd listen to the doctor.

This is a bullsh!t attempt to skirt around my analogy. Loneliness and social isolation cause extreme depression. Depression kills people. Asking people to remain two metres away from other humans for this amount of time and to cut every enjoyable social outlet from their lives, is asking people to subject themselves to something which is absolutely guaranteed to take lives the longer it goes on.

That's what so many in this discussion don't seem to want to engage with. Severe depression kills people by their own hand. Loneliness inevitably leads to severe depression. Having to remain touch starved and isolated for more than a year inevitably leads to loneliness.

Ergo, there are two issues at play of equal severity. Someone dies from COVID, or someone dies from suicide - why is one considered a more important public health concern than the other?

It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we can ask people to live like zombies indefinitely and pretend this doesn't increase the risk of self-harm and suicide by orders of magnitude. It may or may not have manifested itself yet, but FFS it should be blindingly obvious that this dam will burst sooner or later, people have limited coping mechanisms and as soon as those are exhausted without any hope of relief, it's game over. That's how it works. It shouldn't be so complicated for people to get their heads around.

Asking people to go months to years without seeing or hugging their friends and family will, 100% and without any shadow of a doubt, claim the lives of those whose coping mechanisms for dealing with loneliness are in shorter supply than others'.

You don't have to take my word for it. Multiple experts have sounded the alarm on this. Why they aren't getting anywhere near the same amount of societal air time as NPHET & co is beyond me, but sooner or later this is going to become too big a problem to ignore.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/gp-describes-terrible-problem-of-suicide-among-young-people-1.4426625

Dr Denis McCauley, who is chair of the Irish Medical Organisation’s GP committee, said he has seen an increase in female suicides this year.

Dr McCauley told the Oireachtas sub-committee on mental health on Thursday morning that he encounters suicide in both his roles as a GP and coroner.

“Every death by suicide is a disaster. I think it’s important to put it into context that we are probably one of the lowest countries in Europe, I think 11th lowest in relation to general suicide. We have a terrible problem with young people committing suicide, particularly young men,” he told the committee.

“This year unfortunately I have seen more female suicides in our area than I have seen for a while.”

Dr McCauley also said there is no doubt that the present Covid pandemic has had significant psychological effects on the population of Ireland.

Or how about

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/afraid-frozen-stuck-the-mental-health-pandemic-and-how-to-fight-it-1.4388578

“Being able to maintain contact for some people could be extraordinarily important,” says Dublin-based clinical and counselling psychologist Eoin Galavan of the new bubbles.

“The Government is trying to weigh up the public health damage that is caused by social-isolation restrictions against the public health benefit of restricting the transmission of the virus.”

“When a pandemic is at play, and restrictions are imposed, all of the research suggests that it has the potential to increase suicide rates and it can have severe implications, psychologically and emotionally, for people. I think a certain amount of that is going to happen, regardless of the social bubbles, regardless of keeping Christmas in play,” says Galavan.

Or...

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/calls-dublin-suicide-helpline-jump-19954050

Volunteers at a suicide helpline in Dublin have been forced to double their hours as the number of distress calls has jumped due to the pandemic.

The Dublin Samaritans have been inundated with a massive rise in phone calls as people are struggling to cope with the effects of the COVID-19 situation in the country.

Almost all callers mentioned Covid-19 as contributing to their distress and reason for calling the helpline.

The charity's Dublin branch received 82,000 calls in 2019 and volunteers noted a marked increase in calls across 2020.

How many sources do you want? To suggest that death by COVID is the only deadly risk to be managed during this pandemic is utterly moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Level 5 until July. **** NPHET, the medical fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

GazzaL wrote: »
    Level 5 until July. **** NPHET, the medical fascists.

****ing incredible that we'll be 7 months into having a vaccine and still most things will be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Are they trying to prevent a fourth wave by delaying opening things? At the rate the vaccines are being given out, isn’t a fourth wave inevitable? Surely things could go back to level three at least.

I think this extremely prolonged lockdown will have a much worse effect on people’s (mental) health than actual Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

babynice wrote: »
    Are they trying to prevent a fourth wave by delaying opening things? At the rate the vaccines are being given out, isn’t a fourth wave inevitable? Surely things could go back to level three at least.

I think this extremely prolonged lockdown will have a much worse effect on people’s (mental) health than actual Covid.

You would think the very slow opening will mean we never lockdown again but in my opinion we are almost guaranteed to lockdown again in winter like last year.

You could almost take the slow opening if it was the last lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,664 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ffs lockdown til the end of June, the end of ****ing June

Spineless cowards who won't stand up to NPHET

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,834 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The Doom and gloom merchants must have been hanging yesterday if they're only misrepresenting an article they probably didn't read now.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

When will it all end?

NEVER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

hynesie08 wrote: »
    The Doom and gloom merchants must have been hanging yesterday if they're only misrepresenting an article they probably didn't read now.

Isn't it a bit ironic to be insinuating there are doom and gloom merchants on here when we must have the most negative, pessimistic Government in Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

When will it all end?

NEVER!!

I disagree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Emptur.

It's a joke at this stage

The joke's on us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No suicides didn't increase during the Pandemic last year contrary to the oft quoted claim.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/suicides-have-not-increased-during-pandemic-figures-indicate-1.4492985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Emptur.

saabsaab wrote: »
    No suicides didn't increase during the Pandemic last year contrary to the oft quoted claim.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/suicides-have-not-increased-during-pandemic-figures-indicate-1.4492985

Doesn't seem anyway conclusive

I've noticed a lot of sudden death in young people lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wife works in a Dublin hospital - already half a ward reopened with numbers building. I have a feeling numbers could be way up in the coming days.

I can't see how we can get from 500 - 600 cases / day to <200 given the current behaviours out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Emptur. wrote: »
    Doesn't seem anyway conclusive

I've noticed a lot of sudden death in young people lately

Unless they were positive for Covid no one cares as far as I can see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement