Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

Mike Ryan is urging people to take personal responsibility, says spread has reached inflection point toward the wrong direction.

https://m.independent.ie/videos/dr-mike-ryan-the-virus-is-getting-better-and-were-getting-worse-40216140.html

What he says about the hope of vaccines driving more natural irresponsibility is spot on.

Hopefully people don't let their guard down.

The WHO advised against lockdowns. Were you paying attention that day? Or is it only selective?

Anyone who believes these liars and bozos in nphet and the government need their heads checked

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

We've already budgeted for the costs of this for the year so govt happy to outsource the decision making to nphet until at least year end so expect no major changes this year. I would dublin pubs to run to almost 2 years without opening!

Nothing will change as a lot of people wont feel the cost this year so 2021 is another write off. very hard to be happy or have hope for anything in life at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Haven't heard much about the "deady variants" from NPHET this week, was it replaced the 4th wave threat?

They're terrified of easing restricitions as we've been locked down for so long will result in a stampede to retail, barbers, pubs etc.

Lockdown to avoid lockdown. 40 highly paid NPHET members really earning their large crust.

Pigs in the trough, the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Anyone who believes these liars and bozos in nphet and the government need their heads checked

Yeah the likes of Ronan Glynn have become more and more political and self serving as this goes on, they now make decision to continue or extend the most severe restrictions on peooles freedoms without much thought

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Can nphet really get level 5 -1 + 1 for 5th over the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Glaceon wrote: »
    At this rate I feel like it will never end. “But the variants...” is all we keep hearing nowadays. Mentally, I won’t be able to cope with this for much longer, I’m already having dark thoughts. :(

Put the BS variants in the drawer, then take that dusty passport out of said drawer, and shine that passport up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    March 15th 2022 at 6.20pm ;-)

Seriously though, no pandemic in the history of major pandemics has lasted less than two years (as per WHO if I'm not mistaken)

And yes we have vaccines and more coming. but there's also variants and - generally speaking - a not fit for purpose "government" in charge of all this and the EU generally making a balls of things

People can say they're "abandoning da restrictions" all they like. The virus doesn't care or know this

It doesn't give a fcuk

So I think it'll be March next year till we see things like concerts over 300 people, sporting events with large crowds etc

That's what I'm preparing for mentally. Anything better is a bonus

This is pretty much sums up my assessment of the situation.. This Summer/Autumn will be a messy frustrating affair. Hopefully see a restriction level drop by late summer, maybe down to level 3 if we are lucky assuming all the all high risk groups get the jab. I'm not holding my breath.

There is no facts presented as to the origins of the virus.

How many cases occurred in barbershops, beauticians, or hairdressers?
    How many cases occurred in bars visited?
    How many occurred in retail outlets?
    How many from protests?
    How many from house parties?

We never hear stats from how many. They have presented no numbers whatsoever.

On top of that, if you contract covid within 28 days of dying, it is listed as a covid death.

I'm not saying this virus isn't real, but the initially slow reaction has turned to disproportionate in a blink of an eye. Our first case was 29th February 2020 and not one of the government gave a single fúck. Even March 12th 2020, when the WHO announced we were in a pandemic, our taoiseach of the day had taken himself off to Washington. I was out myself in the local pub on Friday, March 13th 2020 and not knowing if i should or not because there was no communication from the government. Then we were told on the Sunday after clubs and pubs opening on Saturday 14th that we had two weeks to ''flatten the curve''. Meanwhile, Strawberry pickers, factory workers, holiday makers, all arrived into the country with not a bother over the next few weeks and months and undermined our whole effort.

People say lockdowns 'work', but what other conditions will go untreated while we treat this virus?? And how many deaths in normal years?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

People talk of the 3rd and 4th wave, I don’t buy into that, it’s still the first and only wave, in summer weather when people are outdoors more it transmits less, other than that, numbers fall when we’re in lockdown and rise in the occasional week that we are out of lockdown. I’d expect some freedoms in June and if vaccinations pick up then maybe a softer lockdown from Oct 1st to next March or April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

How many from protests?

On top of that, if you contract covid within 28 days of dying, it is listed as a covid death.

I'm not saying this virus isn't real, but the initially slow reaction has turned to disproportionate in a blink of an eye. Our first case was 29th February 2020 and not one of the government gave a single fúck. Even March 12th 2020, when the WHO announced we were in a pandemic, our taoiseach of the day had taken himself off to Washington. I was out myself in the local pub on Friday, March 13th 2020 and not knowing if i should or not because there was no communication from the government. Then we were told on the Sunday after clubs and pubs opening on Saturday 14th that we had two weeks to ''flatten the curve''. Meanwhile, Strawberry pickers, factory workers, holiday makers, all arrived into the country with not a bother over the next few weeks and months and undermined our whole effort.

People say lockdowns 'work', but what other conditions will go untreated while we treat this virus?? And how many deaths in normal years?

I stopped reading here because you're just plain wrong on that.

I think you need to do your own fact finding mission because you're very ill informed.

HSE follows the WHO advise on this
    Covid-19 “should be recorded on the medical certificate of cause of death for ALL decedents (deceased people) where the disease caused, or is assumed to have caused, or contributed to death”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,865 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How many from protests?

Maybe you need to take a step back and think logically?

You say how many of these viruses occured in xyz and you listed shops protests. It is impossible to find the origin of each and every person who carried the virus to another.

Think of the common cold. Do you know where or who you picked up your last cold from. Where did that person pick it up?

You are asking for something that is logistically impossible and unworkable to think you can find each and every carrier of a virus, and where they picked it up. Do you expect every household or establishment to be listed on a database? What about privacy and data protection?

As regards the government's reaction you are now looking at it in hindsight. When compared to many countries in the world Ireland has fared fairly well imo.

You have to remember that the last major pandemic was in 1918. The world and its leaders had to learn to adapt. Did Thierry Henry change to a striker from a left winger overnight? No. It was a gradual process as he got used to it and adapted.

The problem with the strawberry pickers etc was they were not given the proper transport from their facilities, if I remember correctly. Plus those workers were a necessity to provide your food on the shelves. In other words essential workers. Work which Irish people are not willing to do in sufficient numbers.

Your main criteria for saying lockdowns do not work, seems to be based on a hypothetical situation that other conditions are not being treated as a result of covid19. I believe medical advice is not to forgo medical help for serious issues (other than covid19) and do not be afraid to attend hospital.

You seem to want to have it every way no lockdown, and control of the virus in minute detail. That is fairyland stuff.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,865 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It will be gone in July in time for the All Ireland is my prediction.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

To be fair, the dogs on the street could tell you, isolate, don’t go near anyone anytime anytime and you are unlikely to be infected ... so why are we paying crazy money to professional people who know nothing more than me or my ilk? To me it’s a joke that after a year of lockdown the scientists that we pay mega bucks to are still telling us that self imposed imprisonment is their best advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

corkonion wrote: »
    To be fair, the dogs on the street could tell you, isolate, don’t go near anyone anytime anytime and you are unlikely to be infected ... so why are we paying crazy money to professional people who know nothing more than me or my ilk? To me it’s a joke that after a year of lockdown the scientists that we pay mega bucks to are still telling us that self imposed imprisonment is their best advice

Are you maybe basing your idea of what they do from what you see for those few minutes on the TV instead of all they do behind the scenes? They consistently monitor the local and global situation, we could get rid of them but what do we do when signs of infection increase and nobody is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Holiday makers are still arriving into the country every single week.
    One year later!

A month ago I listened to the radio, and they said mandatory quarantine for people entering the country was a few weeks away. Today I heard that its still 3 weeks away at least

I mean, what the ****. Is this a deadly pandemic or isn't it? We are all being confined to a 5km limit for months, but people heading off to sun themselves in the Canaries can do so. Its time the Gov got a grip, or we'll be in lockdown this time next year too.

Roman Glynn, Holohan or the Nolan one have absolutely no clue how hard it is for some people. They keep trying to caveat what they tell us by saying “we know it’s hard for people”. No, they do not. They have absolutely no idea how jaded and exhausted the people are at this stage. I, for one, have absolutely no more left to give at this stage. There is nothing more I can do. I have given up my life, I have given up everything I hold dear to me. There is nothing left in the tank, and if I hear of another zoom quiz I’m going to scream.
    But I think we need to remember that NPHET, while almost like our very own Politburo, aren’t actually responsible anymore. Government has completely abdicated their responsibilities and left it all to them.
    Rumours about restrictions can only mean one thing, they’ll be extended. So why don’t we blow up the phones of our TD’s and their email inboxes? The only way to know we’re dissatisfied is to tell them, and if they get enough irate voters contacting them, they might, JUST MIGHT, take on board that, oh by the way the people are at breaking point.
    People chat here about only two more months, two more months is a very, very long time and there can be no doubt that not even half the targets for the vaccination program will be made. The vaccines not being here is one thing, but anyone who thinks they will be is delusional. However, I would gladly be corrected on this.
    The EU’s handling of the entire affair has been an exercise is futility, and as someone who is extremely pro EU I’m pretty devastated by the whole thing. They’ve messed around again and again and have proven their bark is worse than their bite.
    The vulnerable are vaccinated.
    Anyone who’s terrified can stay in the house.
    Open the **** up and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    What is staggering about the above post (if true and I have no reason to doubt it, I just don't know) is that the head of the HSE is paid more than the NHS head. Just about sums it all up.....
    Not only is Paul Reid on more than the chief executive of the NHS Simon Stevens, a lot more, he's paid the same as the combined salaries of the UK government's chief scientific officer Patrick Vallance plus the UK government's chief medical officer Chris Whitty.

This is the same HSE which is in constant financial crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

When will the poll results be published?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The WHO advised against lockdowns. Were you paying attention that day? Or is it only selective?
    More misinformation. The thread is full of it.

Here's the WHO's policy on lockdowns. They admit that lockdowns can have negatives but no where do they advise against them.
    What is WHO’s position on ‘lockdowns’ as a way of fighting COVID-19?
    Large scale physical distancing measures and movement restrictions, often referred to as ‘lockdowns’, can slow COVID‑19 transmission by limiting contact between people.

However, these measures can have a profound negative impact on individuals, communities, and societies by bringing social and economic life to a near stop. Such measures disproportionately affect disadvantaged groups, including people in poverty, migrants, internally displaced people and refugees, who most often live in overcrowded and under resourced settings, and depend on daily labour for subsistence.

WHO recognizes that at certain points, some countries have had no choice but to issue stay-at-home orders and other measures, to buy time.

Governments must make the most of the extra time granted by ‘lockdown’ measures by doing all they can to build their capacities to detect, isolate, test and care for all cases; trace and quarantine all contacts; engage, empower and enable populations to drive the societal response and more.

WHO is hopeful that countries will use targeted interventions where and when needed, based on the local situation.

• Advertisement

I disagree. The health advice is correct in my view.

We all have to do our part to help as we are in a precarious phase where progress could be reversed in the next couple of weeks.
    Agreed and judging by the abysmal turnout to the much publicised anti lockdown rally last week, public opinion would agree too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Scotty # wrote: »
    More misinformation. The thread is full of it.

Here's the WHO's policy on lockdowns. They admit that lockdowns can have negatives but no where do they advise against them.

Now go back and read all the bits you didn’t highlight. What exactly has the government done with the extra 5 months that they bought? This time, not to mention all the months last year.

Multipass wrote: »
    Now go back and read all the bits you didn’t highlight. What exactly has the government done with the extra 5 months that they bought? This time, not to mention all the months last year.

They've stopped Covid collapsing our health service which is the #1 objective of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

Agreed and judging by the abysmal turnout to the much publicised anti lockdown rally last week, public opinion would agree too.

Do me a favour and drive into Dublin today and see it as bustling as a pre-Covid Saturday in most parts. Most people aren't going to go to a protest because it's dumb but if you think most are still staying at home and only exercising within their 5k you're oblivious.

Cases have started to go up again and that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They've stopped Covid collapsing our health service which is the #1 objective of lockdown.

2 weeks away were we, we were lucky. Our 9th time being 2 weeks away from collapse. No other country in the world had has there healthcare collapse since the start but we are 2 weeks away. Aboy the scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

And what else have they done to attempt to live with Covid? They've done nothing.

Your relentless defence of the ineptitude of the Government despite posters clearly telling you their mistakes is tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Monster249 wrote: »
    Do me a favour and drive into Dublin today and see it as bustling as a pre-Covid Saturday in most parts. Most people aren't going to go to a protest because it's dumb but if you think most are still staying at home and only exercising within their 5k you're oblivious.

Cases have started to go up again and that's why.

Cases are going up because nobody gives a **** about covid anymore, deaths, cases, hospital numbers I don't care anymore. Whats the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

A bad bus crash would collapse our health service. Shut it down. Fire em all. Start again with 24/7 contracts like any real health service should be.

Lack of enforcement has got us to where we are now with stubbornly high numbers. Truncheons should be cracking skulls. There are people who will simply carry on partying knowing nobody will do anything about it. I can't believe the amount of people who still think their birthday is special and exempt and literally make up their own social distancing rules to justify a party or some sort of social gathering.

People forget that the virus has changed. All the early advice about social distancing is gone. You'll catch this virus breathing someone else's air. Being forced into an office or any work environment with people who, lets face it they are work colleagues who can literally be up to God knows what in their own time. What happens when someone is forced back to work knowing it is unsafe and their life or long term health is in serious danger and they die or get long term health problems?

I guess my point is the government is completely powerless. NPHET are completely powerless, they can't say its safe to go back to work or socialise because its not.

The only way out of this situation is strong enforcement. I'm talking truncheons cracking skulls and locking our borders. Make this a safe covid free island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

niallo27 wrote: »
    2 weeks away were we, we were lucky. Our 9th time being 2 weeks away from collapse. No other country in the world had has there healthcare collapse since the start but we are 2 weeks away. Aboy the scotty.

The lombardy region of Italy was overwhelmed in march 2020. And that's a system with more ICU beds per head of population than us. We have a very weak and precarious health system - I dont understand why people cant see this here - we came close to running out of ICU beds in late January. At that point, people simply die in greater numbers as theres no where to treat them. Or if there's any sort of incident no where for people to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement