Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

We aren't in a "lock down" though. A lock down is what China engaged in to regain control. Many magnitudes more restrictive on freedoms. I'm unaware of people's apartment blocks being welded here and permission being required to leave your front door.

We have restrictions that are not easy over time but nothing like as strict or enforced as they could be.

Level 5 restrictions for months on end isn't a lockdown? Around 1 million people on welfare supports isn't a lockdown? Unable to travel beyond 5km isn't a lockdown? Unable to visit family and friends isn't a lockdown?

More blatant lies from the pro lockdown crowd. Why are they allowed to keep posting this misinformation?

Of course it could be stricter... We could have people going around cracking skulls of anyone who steps outside their front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

****ing insane gaslighting.

"You're not even in lockdown, lads!"

PTSD hits different people in different ways i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

GazzaL wrote: »
    Level 5 restrictions for months on end isn't a lockdown? Around 1 million people on welfare supports isn't a lockdown? Unable to travel beyond 5km isn't a lockdown? Unable to visit family and friends isn't a lockdown?

More blatant lies from the pro lockdown crowd. Why are they allowed to keep posting this misinformation?

Of course it could be stricter... We could have people going around cracking skulls of anyone who steps outside their front door.

More blatant lies from the anti lockdown crowd. Why are they allowed to keep posting this misinformation?

Of course it should be stricter... We should have people going around cracking skulls of anyone who steps outside their front door.

A complete absence of tact, the extent of their world the front door and no further. Zero comprehension of the litany of freedoms stymied, and financial burdens faced by business owners shuttered over past year. To even imply that the lockdown could be more severe speaks volumes, the rest of us aren't at odds with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

We aren't in a "lock down" though. A lock down is what China engaged in to regain control. Many magnitudes more restrictive on freedoms. I'm unaware of people's apartment blocks being welded here and permission being required to leave your front door.

We have restrictions that are not easy over time but nothing like as strict or enforced as they could be.

Thousands of businesses are legally prevented from trading, freedom of movement is restricted and criminal sanctions are in place for simply going out for a drive or visiting a beach and its a criminal offence to leave the island for all but a handful of 'essential reasons'.

I could go on and on.

But we should feel lucky because no one has welded my door shut.

• Advertisement

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Thousands of businesses are legally prevented from trading, freedom of movement is restricted and criminal sanctions are in place for simply going out for a drive or visiting a beach and its a criminal offence to leave the island for all but a handful of 'essential reasons'.

I could go on and on.

But we should feel lucky because no one has welded my door shut.

Yet thousands of our 3rd level educated unemployed barista's are still doing as they like and ignoring restrictions. And you wonder why we are where we are. Instead of looking to offload the blame onto the government one should look into their own choices.

Jaysis
    Restrictions are not lockdown.
    You can go visit your parents, no problem.
    No such thing as a 5km travel limit.
    Did you not say you went on holiday lately?

You can dislike restrictions but there's no need to lie about them

Yet thousands of our 3rd level educated unemployed barista's are still doing as they like and ignoring restrictions. And you wonder why we are where we are. Instead of looking to offload the blame onto the government one should look into their own choices.

Don't blame them at all, for students just like the bulk of our population this is just a minor virus. The only thing I wonder and despair about is why so much of our general population has put up with this for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

If they are a barista they are employed you know by a coffee shop/restraunt/pub etc. Third level educated or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yet thousands of our 3rd level educated unemployed barista's are still doing as they like and ignoring restrictions
    This is due to a strategy that does not take into account the realities of human behaviour and people management. Managing people requires the setting of parameters and targets. It requires nuance. "Stay in your homes for an indeterminate amount of time" is not a sustainable strategy - you eventually lose buy in. Ignoring all aspects of society except preventing covid is not a sustainable strategy. A holistic approach is required.

• Advertisement

Don't blame them at all, for students just like the bulk of our population this is just a minor virus. The only thing I wonder and despair about is why so much of our general population has put up with this for so long.

We have to be patient because their is always going to be people just like yourself, The message is there but will take a long long time before you/they wake up and smell the roses. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you, you could almost touch it.

If they are a barista they are employed you know by a coffee shop/restraunt/pub etc. Third level educated or not.

I can see education wasn't your strong point.

I can see education wasn't your strong point.

Thanks I'm very well educated and at least don't judge people for going to work.

We have to be patient because their is always going to be people just like yourself, The message is there but will take a long long time before you/they wake up and smell the roses. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you, you could almost touch it.

Utter manure is what I am smelling at the moment........

Thanks I'm very well educated and at least don't judge people for going to work.

Take a deep breath, now pause go back and read the original comment. But just in case you are still struggling, you don't have to be employed as a barista to be an unemployed barista. Just like a mechanic or plumber even when they are unemployed they are still mechanics and plumbers are they not?

Utter manure is what I am smelling at the moment........

Sorry for your current situation, have you tried showering or using soap. People wont notice so much then.

During the most severe lockdown I experienced in Vietnam, there was no limit on travel except between provinces, and I could still go the shop. It lasted three weeks.

Ireland's lockdown at any point in the last year has been more severe than I ever experienced. Last year, you said you would not want Vietnam's restrictions, preferring Ireland's blanket approach locking down the entire nation, instead of blockading apartment buildings where there are cases. One of those buildings was barricaded 100m from my house in February. Made perfect sense. Maybe they welded the back doors shut so they couldn't sneak out. Who cares.

Of all my friends living in China, none of them have described the lockdowns there as anything close to what my friends and family describe in Ireland. Your conspiracy theories and absolute belief in the most obviously fake videos out of China does not make their lockdown more severe than Ireland's, which is as bad as it gets.

Sorry for your current situation, have you tried showering or using soap. People wont notice so much then.

You are hilarious......

Take a deep breath, now pause go back and read the original comment. But just in case you are still struggling, you don't have to be employed as a barista to be an unemployed barista. Just like a mechanic or plumber even when they are unemployed they are still mechanics and plumbers are they not?

Saying I'm an unemployed xxx, no one says that though in real life, you'd say I worked at xxx and I am in the market for a similar job or looking elsewhere. It sounded like you were having a dig at third level educated or not barista's not sure why you stuck that in. Or why you assumed they were the only ones out travelling. It just came across as a weird thing you have against employed or not baristas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

****ing insane gaslighting.

"You're not even in lockdown, lads!"

PTSD hits different people in different ways i guess.

Denial is more than just a river in egypt when it comes to some pro lockdown people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

ypres5 wrote: »
    Denial is more than just a river in egypt when it comes to some pro lockdown people

Inability to think critically and incapable of rational thought.

Saying I'm an unemployed xxx, no one says that though in real life, you'd say I worked at xxx and I am in the market for a similar job or looking elsewhere. It sounded like you were having a dig at third level educated or not barista's not sure why you stuck that in. Or why you assumed they were the only ones out travelling. It just came across as a weird thing you have against employed or not baristas

Saying that because as a nation we have one of the most over educated youth out there, useless degrees being studied and a drain on resources for one. A college education used to mean something, nowadays it means you just filled in the time for 4 years while you worked what cause you were going to protest next week.

Saying that because as a nation we have one of the most over educated youth out there, useless degrees being studied and a drain on resources for one. A college education used to mean something, nowadays it means you just filled in the time for 4 years while you worked what cause you were going to protest next week.

Well that's an entirely different topic to the one at hand, and having digs at education is a bit weird as well as what read as a dig at youth. It is people of all ages and groups who are breaking rules correctly or not I wouldn't blame one group or another for being human.

Well that's an entirely different topic to the one at hand, and having digs at education is a bit weird as well as what read as a dig at youth. It is people of all ages and groups who are breaking rules correctly or not I wouldn't blame one group or another for being human.

Yes you are absolutely right, just last weekend I witnessed all the OAP's in Kildare go to a house party at the retirement village. Not to mention all the OAP's hanging around the shops and pubs drinking and congregating without masks on. Damn them OAP as the root of all evil.

Yes you are absolutely right, just last weekend I witnessed all the OAP's in Kildare go to a house party at the retirement village. Not to mention all the OAP's hanging around the shops and pubs drinking and congregating without masks on. Damn them OAP as the root of all evil.

I see lots of them having coffee outdoors meeting multiple others for walks etc etc etc... Youth do it too or visiting each others houses etc etc etc. What we're verging into is which is the great rule to break but that every one has their own opinon on too very very few could honestly say for the last few months I haven't broken any rule ever. I couldn't myself.

Maybe you need to take a step back and think logically?

You say how many of these viruses occured in xyz and you listed shops protests. It is impossible to find the origin of each and every person who carried the virus to another.

Think of the common cold. Do you know where or who you picked up your last cold from. Where did that person pick it up?

You are asking for something that is logistically impossible and unworkable to think you can find each and every carrier of a virus, and where they picked it up. Do you expect every household or establishment to be listed on a database? What about privacy and data protection?

As regards the government's reaction you are now looking at it in hindsight. When compared to many countries in the world Ireland has fared fairly well imo.

You have to remember that the last major pandemic was in 1918. The world and its leaders had to learn to adapt. Did Thierry Henry change to a striker from a left winger overnight? No. It was a gradual process as he got used to it and adapted.

The problem with the strawberry pickers etc was they were not given the proper transport from their facilities, if I remember correctly. Plus those workers were a necessity to provide your food on the shelves. In other words essential workers. Work which Irish people are not willing to do in sufficient numbers.

Your main criteria for saying lockdowns do not work, seems to be based on a hypothetical situation that other conditions are not being treated as a result of covid19. I believe medical advice is not to forgo medical help for serious issues (other than covid19) and do not be afraid to attend hospital.

You seem to want to have it every way no lockdown, and control of the virus in minute detail. That is fairyland stuff.

My point is that without hard data to back up the forced closure of many businesses, there is no real justification to not at least let them open at a reduced capacity.

''On Newstalk Breakfast this morning, WHO Special Envoy on COVID-19 Dr David Nabarro said national lockdowns should only be used in “really extreme circumstances when things are very bad.”

“That is really because you don’t get rid of the virus with a lockdown. You hold it in place. You get rid of the virus by isolating people with the disease.

He warned that the debate is too often presented as “either letting the virus run wild or having lockdowns” and noted that “there is a middle path.”

Unlike Thierry Henry, the Hapless Government, HSE and NPHET are not evolving with the situation and are basically ignoring advice from the WHO. We've endured one of the worlds strictest lockdowns and there is no roadmap out of it. The vaccine rollout is a complete shambles.

We were aware of the threat of this virus in January 2020 and yet we made no efforts to restrict travel in and out of the country. 3000 Rugby supporters from highly affected Italy poured into the country in February 2020. This time last year, the Cheltenham festival went ahead.

god some people in ireland really hate younger people don't they? The jealousy is hilarious you're like a stereotype of a daily mail comments section poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

god some people in ireland really hate younger people don't they? The jealousy is hilarious

Really has been highlighted to me how willing some are to blame the young. A group in society that have lost so much and have a pretty bleak future to look forward too.

Really has been highlighted to me how willing some are to blame the young. A group in society that have lost so much and have a pretty bleak future to look forward too.

but they're allowed to say it because they paid taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

but they're allowed to say it because they paid taxes.

Young people pay tax aswell, my youngest is 21 . Works part-time pays tax but is also one of those 'evil students' 10 Covid house parties every week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement