Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well, you say that, but NPHET was advising we don’t open up ahead of Christmas, which caused the third wave and the spike which were still trying to reduce using a lengthy lockdown.

You don’t have to like NPHET, but blaming the for the time the government didn’t take their advice would the too rich.

We follow nphet’s advice and lockdown - don’t like lockdown, blame NPHET.
    We ignore NPHET advice and open up for Christmas resulting in a spike, blame NPHET.

I imagine you can see the irony for yourself

This old chestnut, nphet did advise opening up. If the government followed nphets advice we still would have the spike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m curious Scotty #. Seeing that you think the vaccines won’t work ( shyte talk BTW) do you reckon permanent lockdowns are the way forward to keep it under control? Is that your view?
    How on earth have you come to the conclusion I think vaccines don't work? I never said the vaccines don't work. In fact I literally posted a list of them with their efficacy. What I did say is that in my opinion, vaccines will not get us to herd immunity this year. That does not mean I think they don't work.

Do I reckon we'll be in permanent lockdown? No. But I do think restrictions of some sort are here until we get much better vaccines/treatment. That could be months away or if could be several years. I don't think large crowd indoor events will be happening this year. I don't think wet pubs will be opening this year. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I think most other things, sport, retail, beauty, will re-open before the end of the year. It's just my opinion.

I do believe and support the idea that if we are to make this lockdown our last, then we must be absolutely certain that we have all our ducks in a row before coming out of it.

I don't believe in a million years that the government will ever put the economy before public health. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, I just don't believe they ever would. ​

I see a British Gov adviser is warning people today that foreign trips are unlikely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Scotty # wrote: »
    I see the British Gov are warning people today that foreign trips are unlikely this year.

That's one scientist on a government advisory taskforce. Big difference between that and the government themselves saying it.

niallo27 wrote: »
    This old chestnut, nphet did advise opening up. If the government followed nphets advice we still would have the spike.

No they didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Young people pay tax aswell, my youngest is 21 . Works part-time pays tax but is also one of those 'evil students' 10 Covid house parties every week.

Mine too, and she gets a lower rate of minimum wage being 19. I see that as outright discrimination.

• Advertisement

That's one scientist on a government advisory taskforce. Big difference between that and the government themselves saying it.
    You're right. Post amended.

Yes you are absolutely right, just last weekend I witnessed all the OAP's in Kildare go to a house party at the retirement village. Not to mention all the OAP's hanging around the shops and pubs drinking and congregating without masks on. Damn them OAP as the root of all evil.

Go to my local garden centre, you’ll see a crowd of OAPs, most of them with masks pulled down. No age groups care much at this stage.

nevermind, OT

nv, OT

I don’t know, it’s not relevant - equal work equal pay.

They said hospitality or household visits. Either on their own would have caused a spike. Even someone like you can't deny that. Nphet should have recommended full level 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Really has been highlighted to me how willing some are to blame the young. A group in society that have lost so much and have a pretty bleak future to look forward too.

Yes, lost so much for a virus that has little to no effect on them.

Everything young people have done in the past year has been to protect older people, not themselves.

The under 25's grouping was the most affected unemployment figure (Now over 55%)

They will be the last on the vaccine list, the last back to work (due to the high percentage in hospitality etc), if a vaccine for travel requirement comes in they will be last to travel, they have missed out on college, pubs, dating, parties, travel etc.

Why are we walking into a situation where the people in the lowest risk grouping, will be the last to be live a normal life again?

bluelamp wrote: »

Everything young people have done in the past year has been to protect older people, not themselves.

The under 25's grouping was the most affected unemployment figure (Now over 55%)

They will be the last on the vaccine list, the last back to work (due to the high percentage in hospitality etc), if a vaccine for travel requirement comes in they will be last to travel, they have missed out on college, pubs, dating, parties, travel etc.

Why are we walking into a situation where the people in the lowest risk grouping, will be the last to be live a normal life again?

There will be serious trouble if they think the healthy are going to be stuck here, whilst the most vulnerable jet off on their shiny new vaccine passports. F*€k that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Because they are the least likely to get sick or die from this. So they can wait until the ones most likely to get sick or die have been vaccinated first.

Not meaning to be blunt, but thats basically it.

They said hospitality or household visits. Either on their own would have caused a spike. Even someone like you can't deny that. Nphet should have recommended full level 5.

...and the gov did both.

The specifically advised against opening hospitality in their letter 26th Nov. A few days later the gov announced the opening of hospitality

NPHET did not advise 'opening up' as you claimed. Not by a long shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Because they are the least likely to get sick or die from this. So they can wait until the ones most likely to get sick or die have been vaccinated first.

Not meaning to be blunt, but thats basically it.

Right by that logic, lets throw them a bone as a thank you for giving up the most of any group in our country.

People working from home, on full salary, should be vaccinated last instead of those 18-25. Those working from home, on full salary, are the least likely to get sick or die, since they are least exposed, and have had no financial pain in comparison to an 18-25 Y/O.

Watch peoples tune change if that was announced.

It's the "all in this together" fallacy... We want to continue letting the people who have already carried the brunt of this, continue to do so till the bitter end.

...and the gov did both.

The specifically advised against opening hospitality in their letter 26th Nov. A few days later the gov announced the opening of hospitality

NPHET did not advise 'opening up' as you claimed. Not by a long shot!

They advised on either. Either would have caused caused spike. Do you disagree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't believe in a million years that the government will ever put the economy before public health. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, I just don't believe they ever would. ​

They did so last summer, which is one of the reasons our second wave was such a clusterf*ck. They had a schedule in place for a controlled reopening and almost immediately started expediting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

All the while being expected to shoulder the burden of this by spending the rest of their lives paying for this.

They did so last summer...
    I'd disagree. Hospital and ICU numbers were very very low when they opened last summer. I don't think at any stage they jeopardised public health in favour of the economy.

They advised on either. Either would have caused caused spike. Do you disagree with this.

I disagree with your statement...

NPHET did not advise opening up.

From the factcheck article...
    NPHET advised the government not to re-open hospitality settings in a letter on 26 November. The government announced the following day that restaurants and gastropubs would re-open and they did so on 4 December.

Donnelly references this later on in the exchange, and says there’s no way of knowing which of those (re-opening hospitality or allowing household visits earlier) would’ve led to more spread.

Despite that, Dr Holohan did tell the minister that household visits shouldn’t be permitted over Christmas if hospitality was permitted to re-open.

In the event, the government allowed both to happen. It allowed some hospitality settings to re-open on 4 December and permitted household mixing from 18 December.

This was not in accordance with NPHET advice.

• Advertisement

I disagree with your statement...

NPHET did not advise opening up.

From the factcheck article...
    NPHET advised the government not to re-open hospitality settings in a letter on 26 November. The government announced the following day that restaurants and gastropubs would re-open and they did so on 4 December.

Donnelly references this later on in the exchange, and says there’s no way of knowing which of those (re-opening hospitality or allowing household visits earlier) would’ve led to more spread.

Despite that, Dr Holohan did tell the minister that household visits shouldn’t be permitted over Christmas if hospitality was permitted to re-open.

In the event, the government allowed both to happen. It allowed some hospitality settings to re-open on 4 December and permitted household mixing from 18 December.

This was not in accordance with NPHET advice.

If you disagree with my statement that either would have caused a spike then surely you would be in favour of opening one or the other now with nearly 500k having the first vaccine.

If you disagree with my statement that either would have caused a spike then surely you would be in favour of opening one or the other now with nearly 500k having the first vaccine.
    I don't disagree with your statement that either would have caused a spike. Either would have.

But if only one had been opened it would not have been as high a spike. We probably wouldn't have been the most infectious in the world and we probably wouldn't sill be in lockdown.

But the gov went against NPHETS advice and opened both. Then they panicked Christmas week and shut everything down 3pm Christmas eve. They'll think twice before they go against NPHETS advise the next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

I don't disagree with your statement that either would have caused a spike. Either would have.

But if only one had been opened it would not have been as high a spike. We probably wouldn't have been the most infectious in the world and we probably wouldn't sill be in lockdown.

But the gov went against NPHETS advice and opened both. Then they panicked Christmas week and shut everything down 3pm Christmas eve. They'll think twice before they go against NPHETS advise the next time!

Worst luck. Arse covering doesn't make good science.

Nphets advice was still wrong just slightly less wrong, of course we would still be in lockdown, them useless inept pointless group of so called professionals wanted to stay in lockdown lady summer with a handful of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

My heart bleeds for them- most of them of indulged, spoilt brats who can’t string two sentences together without having to check Google first.
    Really has been highlighted to me how willing some are to blame the young. A group in society that have lost so much and have a pretty bleak future to look forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Pretty bleak future, yeah right.. The only blame goes on clowns who are not able to follow the basics, simple basics to limit the spread. If the clowns are mostly in younger generation, oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56467813
    Summer holidays overseas are "extremely unlikely" because of the risk of travellers bringing coronavirus variants back to the UK, a scientist on a government advisory body has said.

The UK faces a "real risk" if people travel abroad, Dr Mike Tildesley said.

Foreign holidays are currently not allowed and returning travellers have to quarantine.

If this is what the UK with their excellent vaccine progress are saying this tells me that they just want these restrictions to continue forever.
    extremely worrying.

Even if the starship Enterprise was in orbit and could beam down a vaccine immediately into every human on the planet, the excuse of "new variants" would still hold.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56467813

If this is what the UK with their excellent vaccine progress are saying this tells me that they just want these restrictions to continue forever.
    extremely worrying.

Even if the starship Enterprise was in orbit and could beam down a vaccine immediately into every human on the planet, the excuse of "new variants" would still hold.

It's not excuse, it's reality..

But like the idea of Enterprise beaming vaccine, I'm up for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Diamondhands

xhomelezz wrote: »
    It's not excuse, it's reality..

But like the idea of Enterprise beaming vaccine, I'm up for it.

Ah the new variants that we're more concerned with than the country where they originated, cool.

• Advertisement

Ah the new variants that we're more concerned with than the country where they originated, cool.

?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement