Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The whole "New Variant" thing has drifted out of the spotlight recently, I've noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,665 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The whole "New Variant" thing has drifted out of the spotlight recently, I've noticed.

It will make a return

The UK seem to be making there targets and will be getting back to normal while in June we will be in Level 4+

Dr Tony still has to make his big return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

johnire wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for them- most of them of indulged, spoilt brats who can’t string two sentences together without having to check Google first.

the words 'indulgent' john. at least learn to spell yourself before you accuse others of not being able to string two sentences together

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Pretty bleak future, yeah right.. The only blame goes on clowns who are not able to follow the basics, simple basics to limit the spread. If the clowns are mostly in younger generation, oh well..

plenty of clowns out in force amongst the oldies today...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It's not excuse, it's reality..

But like the idea of Enterprise beaming vaccine, I'm up for it.

The thing is if the vaccine could be beamed into everyone it would stop new variants as they couldn't develop. That's why a fast and wide roll out especially to badly affected areas is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

RTE had some professor in yesterday saying because of the new variants that evade some vaccines Ireland will be in lockdown for the whole of 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56467813

If this is what the UK with their excellent vaccine progress are saying this tells me that they just want these restrictions to continue forever.
    extremely worrying.

Even if the starship Enterprise was in orbit and could beam down a vaccine immediately into every human on the planet, the excuse of "new variants" would still hold.

Realistically it will be autumn before anything starts to move, i always thought summer maybe a bit too soon.

RTE had some professor in yesterday saying because of the new variants that evade some vaccines Ireland will be in lockdown for the whole of 2021.

The variants aren’t evading vaccines :rolleyes:. The vaccines are a bit less effective in preventing mild illness but still protect against serious illness and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

ypres5 wrote: »
    plenty of clowns out in force amongst the oldies today...

Yeah, all the elderly folks around here having a parties. I hear ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It will make a return

The UK seem to be making there targets and will be getting back to normal while in June we will be in Level 4+

Dr Tony still has to make his big return

Did you see the link I posted ?
    They won't be getting back to normal because of "new variants" ... I don't see what the point of vaccination is if they can just scream "new variants" every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The variants aren’t evading vaccines :rolleyes:. The vaccines are a bit less effective in preventing mild illness but still protect against serious illness and death.

Tell that to the idiots in charge

Tell that to the idiots in charge

You tell them please, with all the evidence you have and sorted :D

Yeah, all the elderly folks around here having a parties. I hear ya.

is every single young person having a house party? funny I didn't get any invitation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

the words 'indulgent' john. at least learn to spell yourself before you accuse others of not being able to string two sentences together
    The word is 'indulgent' John.

You are in no position to call others up on their grammar or formatting

Scotty # wrote: »

You are in no position to call others up on their grammar or formatting

I am when they accuse others of not being able to string two sentences together and then make a blatant typo themselves

is every single young person having a house party? funny I didn't get any invitation

I've never said that, maybe re-read my original post you replied to.

And sorry you didn't get invited..

the excuse of "new variants" would still hold.
    Covid-19 is an RDA Virus like the flu, mumps, measles, not like AIDS or small pox which are DNA viruses.

RDA viruses are unstable and mutate regularly. They are constantly and continuously evolving. That's how they regularly jump from species to species and how they are so successful.

Not all mutate (become a new variant) regularly, we've been using the same vaccine for mumps for 45 years. Flu on the other hand, needs a brand new vaccine almost every year.

The current vaccines are up to 96% efficient against the local variants, including the UK variant. But the trials have shown, they are as low as 22% against the South African variant. So there is a real risk (but unlikely!!) that a new variant comes along that the vaccines are all but useless against.

Bear in mind.... while new variants are the greatest threat to us getting back to normal, they are also the most likely route to us getting back to normal, and I mean 100% normal, 2019 normal. It's quite possible that the virus could mutate into a completely harmless but highly contagious variant.

Did you know... one drop of seawater containers over ten million viruses. Most of them completely harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56467813

If this is what the UK with their excellent vaccine progress are saying this tells me that they just want these restrictions to continue forever.
    extremely worrying.

Even if the starship Enterprise was in orbit and could beam down a vaccine immediately into every human on the planet, the excuse of "new variants" would still hold.

To be honest this will be the final scrap for sanity and freedom. Politicians will have to ignore these doomsayers.

It will be the final sting in the tail from the emboldened lockdown brigade of scientists and public health brigade who are now drunk on power and exposure and full convinced they have saved us.

I have some hope that in the UK common sense will prevail and they will open up fully with travel once vaccinations are widespread , they will have everyone double done by end of July. Boris won't survive if he doesn't but I am less sure here.

But it is now everyone's responsibility to say once we are vaccinated we move on and live with this.

The 'variants' excuse is a never ending one and living in a giant 'what if'.......what is the point.

They'll think twice before they go against NPHETS advise the next time!

I guess none of us are perfect , right? :rolleyes:

Covid-19 is an RDA Virus like the flu, mumps, measles, not like AIDS or small pox which are DNA viruses.

RDA viruses are unstable and mutate regularly. They are constantly and continuously evolving. That's how they regularly jump from species to species and how they are so successful.

Not all mutate (become a new variant) regularly, we've been using the same vaccine for mumps for 45 years. Flu on the other hand, needs a brand new vaccine almost every year.

The current vaccines are up to 96% efficient against the local variants, including the UK variant. But the trials have show, they are as low as 22% against the South African variant. So there is a real risk (but unlikely!!) that a new variant comes along that the viruses are all but useless against.

Bear in mind.... while new variants are the greatest threat to us getting back to normal, they are also the most likely route to us getting back to normal. It's quite possible that the virus could mutate into a completely harmless but highly contagious variant. One drop of seawater containers over ten million viruses. Most of them completely harmless.

Just like the current endemic corona viruses in the human population which we have all caught and live with day to day. Virus mutation to a milder version was always going to be the way out of this. Vaccines will of course help but nature dictates that in time the virus will moderate in impact as it will only be variants that are not making people very sick will continue to prosper. If a variant that pops up that is much more dangerous and more lethal it won't get far as it's hosts just won't be able to spread it.

• Advertisement

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    The 'variants' excuse is a never ending one and living in a giant 'what if'.......what is the point.
    Scientist would argue it's more a case of 'when' than 'what if'.

The virus will certainly continue to mutate, that's a given. It's a question of will it mutate a little or a lot.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I guess none of us are perfect , right? :rolleyes:

lol, I think it should be NPHET's advice too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Diamondhands

The virus will certainly continue to mutate, that's a given. It's a question of will it mutate a little or a lot.

We cannot indefinitely lockdown the country because a mutation may or may not occur that may or may not make that variant resistant to vaccines. I'm not saying you said we should, I'm just stating a point.

Living in a perpetual state of lockdown to mitigate things that haven't happened yet is utter madness.

That is a fair enough point but I am happy to continue my life knowing that at some point in the future a nasty virus will pop up.....

If we follow the 'when/what if' to its logical conclusion we would literally never do anything as humans interacting with each other and the world is increasingly the risk of viruses spreading......all good life involves risk.

We cannot indefinitely lockdown the country because a mutation may or may not occur..
    ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    That is a fair enough point but I am happy to continue my life knowing that at some point in the future a nasty virus will pop up...
    I agree with both of you but I think it may have an influence on international travel for a while. May have!!!

Having said that, I think any such variant will most likely already be in the country before we're even aware it exists.

We cannot indefinitely lockdown the country because a mutation may or may not occur that may or may not make that variant resistant to vaccines. I'm not saying you said we should, I'm just stating a point.

Living in a perpetual state of lockdown to mitigate things that haven't happened yet is utter madness.

Exactly it's like me never leaving the house again in case I get attacked by a tyrannosaurus. you'd drive yourself mad if you spent life quaking about every little what if

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

And then they wonder why nobody wants to pay the license fee anymore. If Michael Martin had any backbone he would be telling them to knock this off because they're undermining the process at this stage.

And then certain posters here wonder why other posters think the Govt and media don't want this to ever end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is all make believe.

No one, but no one anywhere ever has called for permanent restrictions.

Can you cite evidence of literally anyone in any position of scientific or political authority saying this?

Never happened.

I don't think anyone suggested that, seriously. Just sit tight till most of the nation gets vaccinated. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Diamondhands

I don't think anyone suggested that, seriously. Just sit tight till most of the nation gets vaccinated. Simple.

That's not acceptable though and a people are starting to feel the same, evidenced by the stagnation of case decline. how can you sit there and happily accept that the Government has no plan but lockdown until vaccinations are complete?

They've made a balls of everything and no one seems to care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement