Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just "suck it up", the rallying cry of the comfortable. Do what you're told and let your superiors do your thinking for you. Hang in there a little bit longer, your opinion isn't worth a jot and your struggles irrelevant. And don't forget to genuflect towards Dublin at 6pm daily for the NPHET presser, failing that you can flog yourself with an olive branch.

Those promoting fawning subservience towards NPHET & the Government are truly pitiful creatures.

Its the cry of the comfortable really how do you know this.

Everybody is suffering in there own way, I myself may still have my job but have been able to get together with my family for my mothers first anniversary, I also have not been able to see my new nephew since he was born, I live alone and see no one unless I go to the shops or my weekly foot check which my father can do.

I don't like the lockdowns and think at least they should extend going out limits, click and collects, and construction. The government have done a lot bad and if I blame anyone its them and all other parties that say we should follow NPHET to a T. But to call people pitiful creatures because of there options is against the pale imo.

I think there are 4 groups in Ireland. 1 who are so anti lockdown call anyone who say anything about it are called everything under the sun, 1 who are so pro lockdown they do the same to the people who say anything other then lockdown. Then you have 2 groups that are the middle ground. They can make there case understands others and don't have to resort to insults.

You really hear from the last 2 groups which I think are the majority as they have there own pressures and getting through the days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yes you could be right whether we’ll need restrictions or not next winter. However in my opinion i think it’s doubtful, i don’t think there will be, not enough to affect normality. That’s my opinion and sticking to it. We’ll be in a totally different place by the end of the year.

You don’t know if children won’t be vaccinated later in the year. They vaccinated
    the first 36 week pregnant woman in the USA this week.

Why would you vaccinate children for an illness none of them have died or even been very sick from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

sabat wrote: »
    Why would you vaccinate children for an illness none of them have died or even been very sick from?

They can host it, shed it, allow it mutate within them..

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Just "suck it up", the rallying cry of the comfortable. Do what you're told and let your superiors do your thinking for you. Hang in there a little bit longer, your opinion isn't worth a jot and your struggles irrelevant. And don't forget to genuflect towards Dublin at 6pm daily for the NPHET presser, failing that you can flog yourself with an olive branch.

Those promoting fawning subservience towards NPHET & the Government are truly pitiful creatures.

I am not sure what is worse, the NPHET daily scaremongering event or RTE fawning over it every night and putting their own spin on the scaremongering......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes you could be right whether we’ll need restrictions or not next winter. However in my opinion i think it’s doubtful, i don’t think there will be, not enough to affect normality. That’s my opinion and sticking to it. We’ll be in a totally different place by the end of the year.

You don’t know if children won’t be vaccinated later in the year. They vaccinated
    the first 36 week pregnant woman in the USA this week.

And that’s the point at which I ask you what’s the difference between the situation you describe and herd immune and you don’t answer it.

I don’t know we won’t be able to vaccinate children before winter. I’m just going with what the people doing the tests on children have said. I’ve seen they’re testing vaccines on children aged 15-17 and 13-17. They hoped to be able to start at the end of of the year. I’m going on that information. What are you going on?

• Advertisement

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They can host it, shed it, allow it mutate within them..

This is children you are talking about ? Or something you saw on a zombie apocalypse movie ?

And that’s the point at which I ask you what’s the difference between the situation you describe and herd immune and you don’t answer it.

I don’t know we won’t be able to vaccinate children before winter. I’m just going with what the people doing the tests on children have said. I’ve seen they’re testing vaccines on children aged 15-17 and 13-17. They hoped to be able to start at the end of of the year. I’m going on that information. What are you going on?

Ah I see where you are going with this.

We vaccinate all the adults but because of the little snotty virus spreading toddlers are unvaccinated we all need to stay locked down !!

Very good.

Why would we want to vaccinate children? To achieve herd immunity. That would be pretty obvious. Herd immunity isn’t he point at which we can confidently go back to normal and most likely not need restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Your question is irrelevant to what i have been trying to explain to you and i have given my opinion.

I have heard autumn for the kids. However you or i don’t know for sure.

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Ah I see where you are going with this.

We vaccinate all the adults but because of the little snotty virus spreading toddlers are unvaccinated we all need to stay locked down !!

Very good.

Who said this about toddlers and lockdown? You’re certainly not representing my views.

I didn’t invent the concept of herd immunity. It’s pretty well established.

• Advertisement

Herd immunity isn’t he point at which we can confidently go back to normal and most likely not need restrictions

Not necessarily, once the critical mass are vaccinated restrictions will be eased.

Look at the UK that’s their aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Some people are so wrapped up in fear that they will always need another bogeyman, they would be lost without one.

Hence the need to demonize the young, to label them as the source of new dangerous mutations that we need to take punitive measures to avoid.

There used to be "baby-killers", now for some they pretend that it will be the babies that are the killers, there is an irony in that.

This is children you are talking about ? Or something you saw on a zombie apocalypse movie ?

Host the virus, shed the virus, allow the virus to mutate within them. All reasons to vaccinate children. Zombie apocalypse movie?

Your question is irrelevant to what i have been trying to explain to you and i have given my opinion.

I have heard autumn for the kids. However you or i don’t know for sure.

The question is relevant to whether we’ll likely need restrictions during next winter or not.

Autumn vaccination for kids would be great. Where did you hear about that?

The question is relevant to whether we’ll likely need restrictions during next winter or not.

Autumn vaccination for kids would be great. Where did you hear about that?

No it’s not. It’s going to depend on the critical mass being vaccinated. All nursing homes will be done, HCW’s, old people and most mature adults even myself by the end of the year.

Not necessarily, once the critical mass are vaccinated restrictions will be eased.

Look at the UK that’s their aim.

Restrictions will be eased in the coming months, that’s pretty certain. Whether or not we’ll get rid of all restrictions before winter remains to be seen and whether or not we’ll need restrictions next winter is impossible to call at this point.

Some people are so wrapped up in fear that they will always need another bogeyman, they would be lost without one.

Hence the need to demonize the young, to label them as the source of new dangerous mutations that we need to take punitive measures to avoid.

There used to be "baby-killers", now for some they pretend that it will be the babies that are the killers, there is an irony in that.

Well thats a novel way of seeing it. Children have to be vaccinated as they can still get it and some can get sick. Also these kids are part of the percentage we need to herd immunity. Do we need to lockdown until they are vaccinated no but I believe the social distancing in public for the foreseeable future for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Why do we need herd immunity rather than just people not dying?

Why would we want to vaccinate children? To achieve herd immunity. That would be pretty obvious. Herd immunity isn’t he point at which we can confidently go back to normal and most likely not need restrictions

Kids don't get sick from this virus bar tiny insignificant numbers, most adults only get a mild illness and it is only the old and vulnerable at significant risk.

So once the old and vulnerable are vaccinated who cares ?

I don't and don't understand anyone who does.

Okay be hyper cautious and vaccinate all adults but kids ??? Why???

No it’s not. It’s going to depend on the critical mass being vaccinated. All nursing homes will be done, HCW’s, old people and most mature adults even myself by the end of the year.

Critical mass, like the effect we’d get from herd immunity?

I suppose the next question would be about what the difference is between the “critical mass” you describe and herd immunity.

• Advertisement

Restrictions will be eased in the coming months, that’s pretty certain. Whether or not we’ll get rid of all restrictions before winter remains to be seen and whether or not we’ll need restrictions next winter is impossible to call at this point.

However in my opinion i don’t think there will be. The critical mass will be vaccinated.

I suppose the next question would be about what the difference is between the “critical mass” you describe and herd immunity.

Do you read any of my posts at all?

Kids don't get sick from this virus bar tiny insignificant numbers, most adults only get a mild illness and it is only the old and vulnerable at significant risk.

So once the old and vulnerable are vaccinated who cares ?

I don't and don't understand anyone who does.

Okay be hyper cautious and vaccinate all adults but kids ??? Why???

Herd immunity, is the answer to the question at the end of your post.

critical mass I would presume is all vulnerable people, which go's back to the question I asked, why do we need herd immunity if all vulnerable people are vaccinated

mightyreds wrote: »

Because some people constantly look for excuses for it to not to end. Once they know the old , vulnerable will be protected the new narrative becomes the variants and then herd immunity.

Because some people constantly look for excuses for it to not to end. Once they know the old , vulnerable will be protected the new narrative becomes the variants and then herd immunity.

Yes, it's a big goalpost move to prevent the pandemic from ending. Such garbage..

Herd immunity, is the answer to the question at the end of your post.

You seem to think herd immunity is some magical place we hit and then it all goes away......

It juat doesn't work like that.

Someday everyone will wake up and realise this is an endemic virus.

Once deaths and hospitalisations are low we move on.....or we can stay in hysteria land forever.

mightyreds wrote: »

Well, people not dying is the goal. Whether we can have both no restrictions and people not dying without herd immune, is doubtful.

Herd immunity would mean we could most likely go back to no restrictions all through next winter and have very low deaths. That’s the objective, right?

Well for me I think herd immunity is needed as anyone could become vulnerable in there life time. We are not talking about full lockdown or full restriction until it does. Why do a half a** job when you can do a full job

• Advertisement

Well, people not dying is the goal. Whether we can have both no restrictions and people not dying without herd immune, is doubtful.

Herd immunity would mean we could most likely go back to no restrictions all through next winter and have very low deaths. That’s the objective, right?

How would herd immunity do that? so we vaccinate 80% but they can still transmit the virus how is the other 20% safe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement