Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    oh dont worry, im a contrary cnut myself, but come on now! theres very little the government can truly do to control this virus, and people have just had enough of restrictions, and understandable so

So what exactly is it that people do to ignore the restrictions then?

Go outside the 5k? That's been done for months, but where do you go and what do you do really, apart from different surroundings on your walk, or seeing family/friends.

Nothing open apart from "essentials", can't go on a break, no hotels, bars, restaurants, coffee shops. No weddings, gatherings or funerals/wakes.

It is all very fine to say " I don't care, I'm breaking the rules and that's that. But what can you realistically do at the moment apart from being a contrary cnut lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Very interesting use of a triple negative in that
    You won’t find a single person in the country or Government – bar the Taoiseach – who doesn’t believe that the 5km limit doesn’t need to be relaxed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Very interesting use of a triple negative in that

Yeah you said the same on another thread. Even more interesting that a minister suggests there is only one member of the Covid committee, Martin.
    Also worth noting there is concern of the deepening damage being done to the economy. The funny thing is many believe there will be no consequences for incomes or services after this. Just keep the presses printing the dosh. There is widespread economic delusion evident in this country at the moment. Going to be fun when the decision on cuts and taxes are made. Hey ho we are all in this together..........lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yeah you said the same on another thread.

Yes, but I thought perhaps you couldn't comment on it over there. :rolleyes:

With such convoluted and grammatically obscure language, it's no wonder there's confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    The problem is we ain't all in the same boat.....if you keep just printing Euro money like it is some monopoly money factory it does kinda impact things.....keep doing it and the Euro continues to slide against othe major currencies and then all hell breaks loose....

At somepoint soon the EU will have to put the brakes on and it will be like hitting a brickwall economically.

If it was only the EU in financial trouble then i'd agree but the whole ****ing world is suffering economic trouble. The Euro wont slide against Sterling or the Dollar. The last time I checked they were in deep trouble as well.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes, but I thought perhaps you couldn't comment on it over there. :rolleyes:

With such convoluted and grammatically obscure language, it's no wonder there's confusion.

I don't find it confusing at all Jim. Agreed the grammar could be better.
    *mod snip - do not discuss moderation on thread*

If it was only the EU in financial trouble then i'd agree but the whole ****ing world is suffering economic trouble. The Euro wont slide against Sterling or the Dollar. The last time I checked they were in deep trouble as well.

It's the speed of recovery though that will be an issue. We are presently destroying businesses than can open safely and have done so in the past. Even click and collect would be the difference between closure and survival for many. They are still undecided about the amount of construction workers they will allow to return to work even as many are leaving here for the UK. There will still be a housing crisis when Covid is a memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Theres been a housing crisis here for many decades. Covid makes little change to that. Other than shift to online and WFH.

beauf wrote: »
    Theres been a housing crisis here for many decades. Covid makes little change to that. Other than shift to online and WFH.

Dismissive response tbh no surprise though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Hospitals have been full every winter for decades too but we never shut down the entire country indefinitely to cope with it.

• Advertisement

Hospitals have been full every winter for decades too but we never shut down the entire country indefinitely to cope with it.

They haven't been full in the same way that Covid can overload a system.

If they were then the stats would be similar and they aren't.

Dismissive response tbh no surprise though .

You made a simplistic comment you can hardly be disappointed when its get a simplistic reply.

Covid makes little difference to the housing crisis. If anything its has eased it. Once its over the same issues are still there. So its largely irrelevant to any recovery of housing.

You made a simplistic comment you can hardly be disappointed when its get a simplistic reply.

Covid makes little difference to the housing crisis. If anything its has eased it. Once its over the same issues are still there. So its largely irrelevant to any recovery of housing.
    Construction workers leaving because they are denied the opportunity to work makes a big difference. If a simplistic response is the limit of your capabilities no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's the speed of recovery though that will be an issue. We are presently destroying businesses than can open safely and have done so in the past. Even click and collect would be the difference between closure and survival for many. They are still undecided about the amount of construction workers they will allow to return to work even as many are leaving here for the UK. There will still be a housing crisis when Covid is a memory.

The worst thing about all of this will be the post-covid examination and the all the talking heads coming out of the woodwork even though 8 months ago anyone with any sort of insight could see where widescale lockdowns were going to bring us.

It's a disaster scenario. The people most vulnerable to Covid are the less well-off who cannot afford to take on simplistic moralistic virtue signalling like 'if it just saves one life'.

People can overlook inequality as not being the main concern but it is what will leave to a lasting impact on our societies; maybe not Ireland but the implications of the fallout will be felt here long after the public has got to grips with the reality that people die, sometimes people who seem healthy, die.

It's a waste of time discussion though. Both sides are right to a point. The prevailing consensus is that restrictions and lockdown are the right measures and it's not like prevailing consensus have ever later been found out to been misguided... However, the proximate issue is Covid. We know as a species we're short-sighted, we see this climate change. Kick the can down the road until it's too late, then go helter skelter to make up for lost time. The same is true for Covid. It's not a bad thing. In the long-run we're all dead. The tragedy of the commons exists as a term for a reason; we are predisposed to this tendency to look at things from a very myopic point of view. There's negative consequences to easing off restrictions too. Whatever side of the fence you're on will depend on your situation and personality traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Construction workers leaving because they are denied the opportunity to work makes a big difference. If a simplistic response is the limit of your capabilities no problem.

the fact is people expected construction workers and other young unemployed people to sit on their hands until they were shipped back to work again to pay for this farce. an elderly poster on the relaxation thread branded young people looking to emigrate 'rats' so the expectation is for the working age people of the country to just shovel the **** and don't complain

Seems like you are more interested in name calling lol.

Construction workers leaving or not isn't the issue either. We aren't building enough houses due to affordability and profitability. We also have lot of empty new stock premium apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

More than 34,400 people arrived in Ireland in the three week period after the Government signed-off on its hotel quarantine plan.

Over 1,200 passengers arrived from 'high risk' countries, such as South Africa and Brazil.

Between February 22 and March 14, some 34,417 people arrived in the country, including 20,759 Irish residents.

Almost 14,000 were non-residents.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40248428.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Unfortunately it won't be long before the money printing has to stop and it will happen and you will see some articles about EU constraints on budgetary deficit and then the belt tightening will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

In the UK the government are hinting about no foreign holidays. A doc on BBC saying masks and social distancing for years will be needed. So what happens when we get to 70-80 % vaccination? If we have to stick to social distancing the likelihood of concerts or full stadiums, restaurants or pubs seem unlikely. I wish the powers that be would talk more about what faces us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Jimi H wrote: »
    In the UK the government are hinting about no foreign holidays. A doc on BBC saying masks and social distancing for years will be needed. So what happens when we get to 70-80 % vaccination? If we have to stick to social distancing the likelihood of concerts or full stadiums, restaurants or pubs seem unlikely. I wish the powers that be would talk more about what faces us.

Sure didn’t you know? From now on it will be restrictions for years to come, possibly for the rest of our lives. Pubs, restaurants will never reopen. Stadium’s, concerts will be resigned to the history books. SD is here to stay. Travel will never resume just incase a new variant is brought in. Chin up lots to look forward to, right? :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Pubs, restaurants will never reopen.
    Ahh they will, but the days of being 3 deep at the bar trying to order a last pint before closing time are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Scotty # wrote: »
    Ahh they will, but the days of being 3 deep at the bar trying to order a last pint before closing time are gone.
    It sounds like it is gone for this year at least. We should expect to see table service and limits on numbers at least until early next year. The vaccines will take time to reach everyone, we don't know what the variants will do, and we will want to be very careful over Christmas/Winter 2021.

Once we know more about the vaccines and how well they work though we will know more. I think it's way too early to start talking about "new normals", if the vaccines are very effective (which it looks like they might be) we could be returning back to the previous normal in 2022.

Well you wouldn’t see me being 3 deep at the bar pre covid anyway. :p

hmmm wrote: »

Once we know more about the vaccines and how well they work though we will know more. I think it's way too early to start talking about "new normals", if the vaccines are very effective (which it looks like they might be) we could be returning back to the previous normal in 2022.

Spot on ;)

I don't think so. I don't think we will see such scenes this year and I'm not sure about next year but to say they are "gone"?

It's hyperbole. The same as "we will be in lockdown forever" and "life will never return to normal".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

All i can see at this stage is anger at NPHET and the Government, they don't appear to have any support left at all and i think they are beginning to realise this, ive seen numerous people online now saying that if someone is feeling unwell then people should stop getting tested as in PCR tests with the HSE, and instead to take rapid antigen tests and isolate themselves so case numbers can go down as thats what NPHET rely on to keep their justification to keep the country in lockdown, that's a potentially dangerous precendent but can anyone see any way out of this except them keeping the country in constant state of lockdown while other countries are opening up and just living with the virus while people contiunue to get vaccinated.

Something has to give and fast, we're in a precarious position alright where the level of anger is rising day in day out and it cannot continue like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

All i can see at this stage is anger at NPHET and the Government, they don't appear to have any support left at all
    No matter how times you say that doesn't make it true. Polls show support for the measures, and in many cases stronger measures. The only country I know of that is "living with the virus" is Brazil, and that's not exactly going well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

No matter how times you say that doesn't make it true. Polls show support for the measures, and in many cases stronger measures. The only country I know of that is "living with the virus" is Brazil, and that's not exactly going well.

polls taken amongst a set criteria of certain people yeah, anyone in their right mind can see that the vast majority of people at this stage want the lockdown to end and end now,and certainly do not support these ourtageous restrictions.

id suggest you take a look at the comments on numerous news sites, literally anyone ive spoken to including my own mother who was previously pro NPHET said that lockdown hasnt and will not work and needs to be stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Hilary had a 98% chance of victory back in 2016. We all know who ended up in the White House. And it wasn't her.

People need to stop taking polls as the Gospel Truth. They're easily rigged in order to get the right result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

More than 34,400 people arrived in Ireland in the three week period after the Government signed-off on its hotel quarantine plan.

Over 1,200 passengers arrived from 'high risk' countries, such as South Africa and Brazil.

Between February 22 and March 14, some 34,417 people arrived in the country, including 20,759 Irish residents.

Almost 14,000 were non-residents.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40248428.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

And with devastating consequences? Huge upsurge in variants?

How dare people eligible to be hear arrive with a negative PCR test and self isolate for 14 days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement