Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

beauf wrote: »
    Seems like you are more interested in name calling lol.

What name calling? I called into question your ability to go beyond a simplistic answer. No name calling whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

polls taken amongst a set criteria of certain people yeah, anyone in their right mind can see that the vast majority of people at this stage want the lockdown to end and end now,and certainly do not support these ourtageous restrictions.
    You probably need to expand your circle of friends, that's not the view of most people I know.

Sure we all want certainty, but we can't have it because we just don't know what's going to happen. So people who are looking for certainty need to grow up a bit and realise this isn't an easy situation for anyone. The vaccines look to be our way out of this, the idea that we just let the virus rip is only favoured by a small minority, and equally the idea that we somehow lock the island down is only favoured by a small minority.

hmmm wrote: »
    No matter how times you say that doesn't make it true. Polls show support for the measures, and in many cases stronger measures. The only country I know of that is "living with the virus" is Brazil, and that's not exactly going well.

I can offer anecdotal observations but I can see with my neighbours that they are not behaving the same way as last year during lockdown. Visitors, meeting up even a christening party in one house yesterday. I live rurally. The roads on my way to work have gotten busier recently, kids out playing together, large groups around shopping centres.
    Do you really believe every answer a pollster gets is honest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Hilary had a 98% chance of victory back in 2016. We all know who ended up in the White House. And it wasn't her.

People need to stop taking polls as the Gospel Truth. They're easily rigged i order to get the right result.

exactly, they ask family and friends of people in NPHET /Government what they think and suprose surprise a vast majoity support restrictions, the silent majority wont be heard by any mainstream media outlet who as much part of the problem for their pro government stance, it's not one bit surprising why people are turning against the RTE, Virgin media news, and any other mainstream media outlet who only report what they are told.

You probably need to expand your circle of friends, that's not the view of most people I know.

Sure we all want certainty, but we can't have it because we just don't know what's going to happen. So people who are looking for certainty need to grow up a bit and realise this isn't an easy situation for anyone. The vaccines look to be our way out of this, the idea that we just let the virus rip is only favoured by a small minority, and equally the idea that we somehow lock the island down is only favoured by a small minority.

nope i speak with a wide variety of people from all walks of life and practically everyone is against the lockdpown, not one single person ive spoken to in the last 2 months has any time at all for NPHET/Government,and some like myself wouuld have previously been supportive of restrictiions but they have been proved beyond any doubt to cause more damage than covid.

i suggest you look at the comments on the dozens of news websites on social media and come back to me then, 98% of what you'll read is anger with government and NPHET.

• Advertisement

I can offer anecdotal observations but I can see with my neighbours that they are not behaving the same way as last year during lockdown. Visitors, meeting up even a christening party in one house yesterday. I live rurally. The roads on my way to work have gotten busier recently, kids out playing together, large groups around shopping centres.
    Do you really believe every answer a pollster gets is honest?
    Anecdotal evidence is poor evidence because you can only see a certain number of people outside. You don't see all the other families who are not throwing parties and are still doing their best, and probably fuming out the window at those who aren't. Besides which outdoor transmission is much more difficult, it's all those little indoor family gatherings which seem to be causing the spread, and most people aren't sitting down to dinner with three or four generations as they might have previously.

In my experience, other than the very first lockdown the kids have always been playing together. Teens will always find a way to meet up. Most I know are doing their best to be honest at an age where it's very hard not to meet your friends, and at least they are meeting up outside.

The polls show strong support for measures. I can't help you if you don't believe in polls, it's pointless debating with someone who only uses anecdotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

polls taken amongst a set criteria of certain people yeah, anyone in their right mind can see that the vast majority of people at this stage want the lockdown to end and end now,and certainly do not support these ourtageous restrictions.

id suggest you take a look at the comments on numerous news sites, literally anyone ive spoken to including my own mother who was previously pro NPHET said that lockdown hasnt and will not work and needs to be stopped now.

Maybe among people like you, but i dont see it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

873,784 vaccine doses were administered in the UK yesterday. 300 were administered in Ireland last Sunday.

Come on, guys, we need to do more like Ronan said.

nope i speak with a wide variety of people from all walks of life and practically everyone is against the lockdpown, not one single person ive spoken to in the last 2 months has any time at all for NPHET/Government,and some like myself wouuld have previously been supportive of restrictiions but they have been proved beyond any doubt to cause more damage than covid.

i suggest you look at the comments on the dozens of news websites on social media and come back to me then, 98% of what you'll read is anger with government and NPHET
    '
    Pointless, not representative at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

IMO the restrictions are losing support. We know that the UK plan has metrics and naturally caveats but its giving the population hope and dates to aim for. I doubt anyone expects the UK plan to hit all its markers, but its giving hope.

We get waffle and despair from both NPHET and government.

My wife is a nurse and contracted covid due to work thinks we need to ease restrictions and feels outdoor sports should be open now. She even believes hairdressers and barbers should open in April.

Whilst polls may say one thing, the actions of people are another matter. Going beyond the 5km for non essential reasons is the current Irish solution to an Irish problem.

• Advertisement

Anecdotal evidence is poor evidence because you can only see a certain number of people outside. You don't see all the other families who are not throwing parties and are still doing their best, and probably fuming out the window at those who aren't. Besides which outdoor transmission is much more difficult, it's all those little indoor family gatherings which seem to be causing the spread, and most people aren't sitting down to dinner with three or four generations as they might have previously.

In my experience, other than the very first lockdown the kids have always been playing together. Teens will always find a way to meet up. Most I know are doing their best to be honest at an age where it's very hard not to meet your friends, and at least they are meeting up outside.

The polls show strong support for measures. I can't help you if you don't believe in polls.

My God you really have it bad for polls dont you, are you not aware that polls are very often flawed, i absolutly guarantee you, in fact id be willing to have a substantial bet in fact that if you were to put out a general poll on lockdowns and not one sent to a certain amount of people that the overwhelming majority would absoutely be against lockdowns, no doubt about it whatsoever.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Hilary had a 98% chance of victory back in 2016. We all know who ended up in the White House. And it wasn't her.

People need to stop taking polls as the Gospel Truth. They're easily rigged i order to get the right result.

Rubbish, the polls showed her winning the popular vote which she did. In some states where she unexpectedly lost, she was well within the margin of error too. What about the Election polls here, like this weekend, do you not think they are reasonably accurate?

'
    Pointless, not representative at all

why is that because they have a different opinion to yours?

Like it or not this is what the general consensus is amongst a majority of people irrespective whether or not you choose to believe it.

My God you really have it bad for polls dont you, are you not aware that polls are very often flawed, i absolutly guarantee you, in fact id be willing to have a substantial bet in fact that if you were to put out a general poll on lockdowns and not one sent to a certain amount of people that the overwhelming majority would absoutely be against lockdowns, no doubt about it whatsoever.

You havent a clue how polling works. Not a ****ing clue. And what does this mean exactly?
    if you were to put out a general poll on lockdowns and not one sent to a certain amount of people

Lundstram wrote: »
    873,784 vaccine doses were administered in the UK yesterday. 300 were administered in Ireland last Sunday.

Come on, guys, we need to do more like Ronan said.

Very selective use of statistics there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I seen a poll the other day I think it was the journal where people were asked if they had adhered to guidelines or not.

A lot of people said that they had, a poll asking people to admit whether they had broken the law or not and funnily enough most people said they hadn’t.

I mean how much more convincing do you need?

The fact is ye can get a poll to back whatever viewpoint you want really depending on who you ask, but sure, if ye want to ignore what’s happening in front of your eyes and cite polls then good luck with that.

There was a poll the other day that said 90% of people who put their faith in polls were awesome!

exactly, they ask family and friends of people in NPHET /Government what they think and suprose surprise a vast majoity support restrictions, the silent majority wont be heard by any mainstream media outlet who as much part of the problem for their pro government stance, it's not one bit surprising why people are turning against the RTE, Virgin media news, and any other mainstream media outlet who only report what they are told.

'Oh for crying out loud :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

This is all make believe.

No one, but no one anywhere ever has called for permanent restrictions.

Can you cite evidence of literally anyone in any position of scientific or political authority saying this?

Never happened.

If you follow their logic, it only leads to permanent restrictions.

Very selective use of statistics there

100% facts.

I know you're all about the whataboutery, I prefer cold hard facts.

the kelt wrote: »
    I seen a poll the other day I think it was the journal where people were asked if they had adhered to guidelines or not.

A lot of people said that they had, a poll asking people to admit whether they had broken the law or not and funnily enough most people said they hadn’t.

I mean how much more convincing do you need?

The fact is ye can get a poll to back whatever viewpoint you want really depending on who you ask, but sure, if ye want to ignore what’s happening in front of your eyes and cite polls then good luck with that.

There was a poll the other day that said 90% of people who put their faith in polls were awesome!

A poll in The Journal? Hardly scientific now was it

• Advertisement

Polls are the best thing we have to measure public opinion for the entire population. Polls use samples, they aren't sent to "certain people" who are going to vote a particular way (at least not by a reputable polling company). Polls taken on websites are generally poor polls as they can be manipulated and target only visitors to those websites.

The opinions of your circle of friends is interesting, but it's no way to measure the views of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MichaelM93l

Ronan Glynn really did turn a lot of people off the last day with the do better comment. There is nothing more humanly we can do?!

Peoples mental health have never been worse and he says such a throwaway comment like that.

tw/suicide

I live in Galway city and there is constantly people losing their lives to suicide here, there was at some stage a couple weeks ago 7 bodies in the water and 9 were found.

The government are the well off don’t feel the same lockdowns we are, they aren’t in cramped conditions living with families members or in housing with too many housemates just to be able to split the rent.

I still agree we need to take covid seriously but the government need to pull the finger out and really lobby to get more vaccines and reduce level 5 to 3, open up gyms, hairdressers, click and collect etc.

There is nothing more we can do it’s in the governments hands, they need to do better.

100% facts.

I know you're all about the whataboutery, I prefer cold hard facts.

Oh i dont doubt you, but why pick last Sunday when the figures were so bad? hardly representative is it? Compare us to other EU countries and we are not doing too bad (and ya EU as a whole is poor i accept)

You havent a clue how polling works. Not a ****ing clue. And what does this mean exactly?

your embarrassing yourself, dont take me for some child :rolleyes: i know only too well how it works, you keep convincing yourself that the majority of people support restrictions, your only fooling yourself mate,time to wake up and face reality.

Polls are the best thing we have to measure public opinion for the entire population. Polls use samples, they aren't sent to "certain people" who are going to vote a particular way (at least not by a reputable polling company). Polls taken on websites are generally poor polls as they can be manipulated and target only visitors to those websites.

The opinions of your circle of friends is interesting, but it's no way to measure the views of everyone.

you keep believing these manufactured flawed polls then, the reality is very much different.

Only when it suits your narrative.

The polls show strong support for measures. I can't help you if you don't believe in polls, it's pointless debating with someone who only uses anecdotes.

I didn't say I don't believe in polls , I said do you believe pollsters get honest answers from all correspondents? I certainly don't.
    I don't expect you to believe what a random person on Board's says. Just pointing out my observations. People are not behaving the same way they did last year. I see a considerable number of people on my daily travels, I hear and interact with my colleagues. Btw unless you are providing factual evidence isn't everything you are claiming is to a degree anecdotal. It seems your anecdotal evidence is more credible than some one else's.

Now if you'll excuse me im going for a long 10km walk, good afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 foggiestyle

Ronan Glynn really did turn a lot of people off the last day with the do better comment. There is nothing more humanly we can do?!

Peoples mental health have never been worse and he says such a throwaway comment like that.

tw/suicide

I live in Galway city and there is constantly people losing their lives to suicide here, there was at some stage a couple weeks ago 7 bodies in the water and 9 were found.

The government are the well off don’t feel the same lockdowns we are, they aren’t in cramped conditions living with families members or in housing with too many housemates just to be able to split the rent.

I still agree we need to take covid seriously but the government need to pull the finger out and really lobby to get more vaccines and reduce level 5 to 3, open up gyms, hairdressers, click and collect etc.

There is nothing more we can do it’s in the governments hands, they need to do better.

Absolutely agree with you, Level 5 lockdown not working, the economy is deteriorating and Government pumping money out to keep people away from work. At what stage will they draw the line on lockdowns that don’t work?

• Advertisement

Only when it suits your narrative.
    I'm going to put more faith in a poll conducted by a reputable polling company with their reputation on the line, before I'd listen to the results of a poll of the Journal or on Boards.ie

The idea that anyone would think a poll on a website is accurate is mind-blowing. How naive are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement