Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

hmmm wrote: »
    It sounds like it is gone for this year at least. We should expect to see table service and limits on numbers at least until early next year. The vaccines will take time to reach everyone, we don't know what the variants will do, and we will want to be very careful over Christmas/Winter 2021.

Once we know more about the vaccines and how well they work though we will know more. I think it's way too early to start talking about "new normals", if the vaccines are very effective (which it looks like they might be) we could be returning back to the previous normal in 2022.

Was that not the whole point of the trials for vaccine before it was approved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

your embarrassing yourself, dont take me for some child :rolleyes: i know only too well how it works, you keep convincing yourself that the majority of people support restrictions, your only fooling yourself mate,time to wake up and face reality.

Thats exactly it. I do have some experience in proper scientific polling, its very interesting actually. Im not really sure to be honest that the majority at this time do support restrictions, haven't seen any reliable poll for some time, so things may have changed somewhat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I'm going to put more faith in a poll conducted by a reputable polling company with their reputation on the line, before I'd listen to the results of a poll of the Journal or on Boards.ie

The idea that anyone would think a poll on a website is accurate is mind-blowing. How naive are they?

"reputable polling company"?

I've never nor anyone I know been approached to take part in a poll by these so called reputable polling companies.

Is there some sort of regulatory body in charge of these companies?

Now if you'll excuse me im going for a long 10km walk, good afternoon

5k there and 5k back? Good man

Lundstram wrote: »
    "reputable polling company"?

I've never nor anyone I know been approached to take part in a poll by these so called polling companys.

Is there some sort of regulatory body in charge of these companies?

I know of at least 3 people who were, phone 'interviews' not that it matters either way i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I'm going to put more faith in a poll conducted by a reputable polling company with their reputation on the line, before I'd listen to the results of a poll of the Journal or on Boards.ie

The idea that anyone would think a poll on a website is accurate is mind-blowing. How naive are they?

A reliable polling company. About as likely as an Honest Politician or a Virgin Prostitute. You'll have a better chance of finding a Unicorn than any of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

GT89 wrote: »
    Was that not the whole point of the trials for vaccine before it was approved?
    The vaccines were built to cope with the original Covid variant.

It's unclear how well they will do against newer strains. My non-expert view is that the data looks good, but I can understand if we take a cautious approach.

Just in terms of timelines, I'm thinking first dose for most adults by end of June, second by August/September, you're then heading into Winter so there is a risk of Flu & Covid. I'm expecting to see most things reopened, but we won't want to run the risk of large Covid outbreaks over Winter along with a normal Flu season, so I'd imagine people will still be asked to work from home if possible, wear masks when shopping etc., and avoid large indoor gatherings. But restaurants, pubs, gyms etc. all open and mostly operating as normal.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    A reliable polling company. About as likely as an Honest Politician or a Virgin Prostitute. You'll have a better chance of finding a Unicorn than any of those.

Which polling companies do you think are unreliable and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

A poll in The Journal? Hardly scientific now was it

Not at all but was put out as proof on the restrictions thread all the same by a prominent poster that many people on this thread seem to keep thanking!

That’s my point, plenty of polls out there to back whatever view ye want. And to be quite honest the longer that this discourse has gone on there’s none of them I’d trust at this stage even if I agreed with them.

Which polling companies do you think are unreliable and why?

Why is a poll on The Journal dismissed without question but some polling company is to be trusted?

• Advertisement

the kelt wrote: »
    Not at all but was put out as proof on the restrictions thread all the same by a prominent poster that many people on this thread seem to keep thanking!

That’s my point, plenty of polls out there to back whatever view ye want. And to be quite honest the longer that this discourse has gone on there’s none of them I’d trust at this stage even if I agreed with them.

Comparing open online polls to professional scientific polls is pointless though.

the kelt wrote: »

There's no "debate" about the accuracy of a web poll on the Journal and a poll conducted by a reputable polling company. Create a poll over on some of the other threads here and you'll get 100% of people saying they are not complying.

But I know how this works in people's heads. You mix the two, say "I don't trust any", sounds reasonable. Standard disinformation tactic, even if done inadvertently.

"professional scientific polls"

That's enough internet for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Why is a poll on The Journal dismissed without question but some polling company is to be trusted?

because the journal didn't give the answer they were looking for, if the poll said the majority of people were loving level 5 and the 5k rule then the journal would be a bastion of journalism on par with the washington post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Now if you'll excuse me im going for a long 10km walk, good afternoon

Edgy demonstrating of flouting the 5km rule.... except it isn't necessarily so at all. Very easy do a 10km walk within a 5km radius.

Ok just so im on the right page here, could you link me to it? or what kind of poll was it, ie was it an poll open to anyone on their website?

There's no "debate" about the accuracy of a web poll on the Journal and a poll conducted by a reputable polling company.

But I know how this works in people's heads. You mix the two, say "I don't trust any", sounds reasonable. Standard disinformation tactic, even if done inadvertently.

Reputable how? Is that just your opinion? Is there some table of reputable polling companies we can view?

Ok just so im on the right page here, could you link me to it? or what kind of poll was it, ie was it an poll open to anyone on their website?

No idea, don't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

exactly, they ask family and friends of people in NPHET /Government what they think and suprose surprise a vast majoity support restrictions, the silent majority wont be heard by any mainstream media outlet who as much part of the problem for their pro government stance, it's not one bit surprising why people are turning against the RTE, Virgin media news, and any other mainstream media outlet who only report what they are told.

Silent majority knows what to do, they don't need to go on the news.

On the other hand there is a loud minority opposing everything related to covid. But yeah it's all false cuz they ask only peeps related to nphet and government, good job....

ypres5 wrote: »
    because the journal didn't give the answer they were looking for, if the poll said the majority of people were loving level 5 and the 5k rule then the journal would be a bastion of journalism on par with the washington post
    It's concerning that you genuinely think a web poll on the Journal is indicative of the population. Do you think the people who read the Journal and vote on polls there is representative of the entire population?

How about a poll on Boards.ie? Would you believe that also?

• Advertisement

ypres5 wrote: »

Lisbon Treaty job. No, guys, wrong answer. Let's do it again 'til we get it right.

It's concerning that you genuinely think a web poll on the Journal is indicative of the population. Do you think the people who read the Journal and vote on polls there is representative of the entire population?

More nonsense. Do "reputable polling companies" approach single mothers in Ballymun or Mick the farmer in Kerry for opinion?

Answer: No, they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's enough to read comments there, that gives you enough of insight. Certainly not representative of entire population. At least not the population I live with.

More nonsense. Do "reputable polling companies" approach single mothers in Ballymun or Mick the farmer in Kerry for opinion?
    Actually, yes. That's the point of a poll of the general population.

If they are interviewing just Professors of Virology, they would state that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd bet that (in Dublin anyway) places like Howth, Portmarnock, Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Phoenix Park, Bray (Wicklow I know) etc. will be overrun with people today. Weather great. All visitors within 5 k of home I'm sure too.

Anyway, there is nothing to do when you get to these places except enjoy the surroundings. Everyone needs a break from doom and gloom, instructions, warnings etc. But until ancillary services open up there is little point in going to such places, and maybe that's the reason behind it.

Actually yes.

Source please.

Source please.
    This is an idiotic conversation, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

you can keep your concern because I don't think that at all. what do a polling company do to capture a more accurate snapshot than a news website? and considering they're the most read online news site in the country I'm sure they have a decent measure of public opinion

So, to sum up this whole polling thing.

The Journal is inhabited by lower class losers (those most affected by restrictions) whose opinion doesn't matter but "reputable polling companies" who mainly poll/responded to by middle/higher class folk (those not affected as much by restrictions) and are to be trusted 100%. The pulse of the nation.

Have a nice Sunday.

• Advertisement

No idea, don't read it.

fair enough, but if it was just an open poll on their website where anyone could give a response then its not worth tuppence in comparison to a proper professional scientific poll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement