Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Power of course.

Power to do what? and whom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

We had the fewest restrictions during the summer yet cases and deaths went off a cliff and didn't start increasing til September into October.
    Actually we bottomed out in June and numbers started increasing in July when we went from mostly under 20/day to mostly over. By late July we were hitting over 85 in a day.

There is no conclusive evidence that Covid is seasonal. It probably is, not because the disease changes but because us humans have less vitamin D in the winter, but as yet we can't be certain, it could be just coincidence that our waves have coincided with the seasons. If it is seasonal, it's certainly not as effected as viruses like the flu are.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    BBC is as useless as RTE.
    What would be your go to news sources?

GT89 wrote: »
    The possibility of new mutations is a scare tactic to keep the lockdowns going for longer than nessecary.
    I think it's really sad that there are actually people who believe such nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Scotty # wrote: »
    I think it's really sad that there are actually people who believe such nonsense.

How's it sad? Please elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

What would be your go to news sources?

For me it’s a coin toss between infowars and Rte. Not as much as a cigarette paper between them in regards integrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Rosita

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    BBC is as useless as RTE. No way we'll be wearing masks until then. We'll be going to the polls before then you can bet these clowns will want this done and dusted by then.

But the BBC is quoting the head of immunisation in England. They're not making it up at the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i see westlife concert down for august 22nd in pairc ui caoimh, tickets on sale this friday? thats AUGUST 22ND , 2021 not 22,23 .

Could we possibly be in a position for thousands at a concert in a few months? i see the ploughing and EP were advertisded to go ahead in september but presumed they would be cancelled near april/may.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Why are the poll results hidden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Actually we bottomed out in June and numbers started increasing in July when we went from mostly under 20/day to mostly over. By late July we were hitting over 85 in a day.

Numbers increased consistently last summer, it is just that a 50% increase from 12 to 18 did not seem too worrying, but the numbers did eventually become a problem as we let them grow.

There is no conclusive evidence that Covid is seasonal. It probably is, not because the disease changes but because us humans have less vitamin D in the winter, but as yet we can't be certain, it could be just coincidence that our waves have coincided with the seasons. If it is seasonal, it's certainly not as effected as viruses like the flu are.

Covid is somewhat seasonal, but it is too powerful to be like flu which largely disappears for 9 months of the year.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i see westlife concert down for august 22nd in pairc ui caoimh, tickets on sale this friday? thats AUGUST 22ND , 2021 not 22,23 .

Could we possibly be in a position for thousands at a concert in a few months? i see the ploughing and EP were advertisded to go ahead in september but presumed they would be cancelled near april/may.

Unlikely their just trying to give us false hope at this stage. I think most people couldn't give a fiddlers about Westlife concerts tbh all they want is a sense of normality and routine in their lives. Give me a choice between a concert or pubs reopening and I'd take pubs reopening any day of the week.

Not because I'm an alcoholic or anything I didn't go to the pub much pre covid anyway. I occasionally enjoyed going to the pub with friends about once every month pre covid whereas going to a concert would be something most would only do once a year or so. Holidays would be another I'd much rather than a concert too. I will be going on a summer holiday regardless of govt. advice so long as travel in the EU is permitted. I was very tempted to go last summer but unfortunately my partner wouldn't go with me so had to cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

A target should be set of 30% of the population fully vaccinated. This would include the elderly, vulnerable plus other at-risk people. Countries that currently at this level or even below it are seeing drastic falls in deaths and hospitalizations. The vaccination program continues but after this point, all compulsory restrictions cease.

You are free to continue wearing a mask, avoiding pub and so forth if you wish but can no longer stop other people returning to normal.

You are also free to not take the vaccine if you wish; it is your risk. However the vaccine rollout should not be halted because of a few isolated bad reactions. No medication is completely without risk. Rollout continues and when 30% are vaccinated, restrictions end.

There will still be cases and there will still be some deaths but after 30% vaccinated we need to start thinking of Covid-19 more like the flu which also kills people. We take individual precautions against the flu but we don't shut down everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

A target should be set of 30% of the population fully vaccinated. This would include the elderly, vulnerable plus other at-risk people. Countries that currently at this level or even below it are seeing drastic falls in deaths and hospitalizations. The vaccination program continues but after this point, all compulsory restrictions cease.

You are free to continue wearing a mask, avoiding pub and so forth if you wish but can no longer stop other people returning to normal.

You are also free to not take the vaccine if you wish; it is your risk. However the vaccine rollout should not be halted because of a few isolated bad reactions. No medication is completely without risk. Rollout continues and when 30% are vaccinated, restrictions end.

There will still be cases and there will still be some deaths but after 30% vaccinated we need to start thinking of Covid-19 more like the flu which also kills people. We take individual precautions against the flu but we don't shut down everything.

I think it would be fantastic if nphet could tie in reopening to vaccination percentages, e.g. 20% haircuts and children's clothes; 25% children's sports and house viewings etc.

At least it would be a plan.

I don't get what they are doing or why. A disease that kills 0.3% with a median age of death around mid eighties does not seem like something that is having a proportionate response. Maybe it's worse than is being said I'd don't know but a plan linked to vaccination percentages sounds good.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I think it would be fantastic if nphet could tie in reopening to vaccination percentages, e.g. 20% haircuts and children's clothes; 25% children's sports and house viewings etc.

At least it would be a plan.

I don't get what they are doing or why. A disease that kills 0.3% with a median age of death around mid eighties does not seem like something that is having a proportionate response. Maybe it's worse than is being said I'd don't know but a plan linked to vaccination percentages sounds good.
    The plan at the moment is to keep level 5 restrictions in place until daily cases fall below a certain level.

When cases fall below that level we know that restrictions are working and so continue with level 5 restrictions.

Seriously though, I think the there's an unacknowledged zero-covid strategy where any level of daily cases warrants some form of restriction regardless of deaths or hospitalizations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56475807

People may need to wear face coverings and socially distance for several years until we return to normality, a leading epidemiologist has predicted.

Mary Ramsay, the head of immunisation at Public Health England, said basic measures could be in place until other countries successfully roll out jabs.

She also said a return of big spectator events required careful monitoring and clear instructions about staying safe.

Instead of forcing everyone in the UK to wear a mask and socially distance, why not have PCR testing (as they allready do) for anyone coming in from these unvaccinated countries.
    Do they expect people to continue to wear masks when 100% of the population have been vaccinated just because southern yemen has only 10% vaccinated ?

These people aren't good people, they are drunk on power and are loving this adulation this pandemic is giving them.

Instead of forcing everyone in the UK to wear a mask and socially distance, why not have PCR testing (as they allready do) for anyone coming in from these unvaccinated countries.
    Do they expect people to continue to wear masks when 100% of the population have been vaccinated just because southern yemen has only 10% vaccinated ?

These people aren't good people, they are drunk on power and are loving this adulation this pandemic is giving them.
    I think again you can see the zero-covid delusion at work in this expert's thinking. The wrong problem is being solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

This is why they need to be punished with the utmost severity. They are Treasonous, pure and simple.

What we are made to believe we need to go back to normal: mass testing, qurantining, anal swabs, mass vaccinations and more masks. What we actually need to go back to normal: Just go back to normal. It is simple all that needs to happen is someone in government to right from today all businesses can reopen, masks no longer nessecary and no more social distancing. Just like Florida where surprise surprise everyone is not dead.

Unfortunately too many people too many people buy into this sh1t and think adhering to the government mantra is the right thing to do. The problem is not people failing to adhere to the restrictions the problem is people adhering to the restrictions. If everyone stopped obeying the restrictions the restrictions would be over by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think again you can see the zero-covid delusion at work in this expert's thinking. The wrong problem is being solved.

She is a f*cking epidemiologist too, can't she see case numbers won't be so worrisome when 100% of the f*cking country is vaccinated!!!! ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

What we are made to believe we need to go back to normal: mass testing, qurantining, anal swabs, mass vaccinations and more masks. What we actually need to go back to normal: Just go back to normal. It is simple all that needs to happen is someone in government to right from today all businesses can reopen, masks no longer nessecary and no more social distancing. Just like Florida where surprise surprise everyone is not dead.

You must mean a normal with no hospitals and loads of dead people.

It's not particularly normal

• Advertisement

You must mean a normal with no hospitals and loads of dead people.

It's not particularly normal

Well one thing in life is certain and that's death hospitals could manage if they properly triaged patients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Going to be very interesting to see what NPHET.. I mean the government do for the next deadline in April. Not a hope the status quo will remain. People will just give up. So, what are they going to give us?

Faint rumours of the 5km being extended to 20km. Still not enough, IMO. Does nothing for many in rural Ireland. Also, cannot envisage county travel, too much of a jump for NPHET's liking.

Outdoor sports will probably return but not all. Maybe for certain age groups, young kids? Will the Intercounty GAA season be given the go ahead? 50/50 at this stage.

Not much else will be offered up, IMO. Click and Collect perhaps?

Needless to say the country has come to a critical point in terms of what the people will put up with. We have heard of slight rumblings in goverment in recent days with some cabinet members starting to reject MM and Leo's lockdown love in with NPHET. While I don't believe a collapse in government is what we need right now but it's hard to believe that ALL believe lockdown is the only way. It's time for those to stand up and be counted and not be silenced by MM and Leo.

It's hard to believe our generation is living through something like this, don't think I or any of us are appreciating the craziness of the times we are living through right now.

The next 3 weeks will be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What's the latest news on the 5km restrictions, are they still ending on the 5th of April?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

What's the latest news on the 5km restrictions, are they still ending on the 5th of April?

It's down to a best of three coin toss.

Let's hope it's not a one sided coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Well one thing in life is certain and that's death hospitals could manage if they properly triaged patients

Is that your expert opinion? How do you triage patients who need to be isolated when there are no beds in the hospital?

She is a f*cking epidemiologist too, can't she see case numbers won't be so worrisome when 100% of the f*cking country is vaccinated!!!! ???
    She is probably a good epidemiologist but she is applying here expertise, as far as I can tell, to the problem of eradication of the virus (which may not be possible) rather than the problem of living with the virus, containing the worst aspects of it and so forth.

Military leaders have a lot of expertise in their field however they need clear objectives set for them by those responsible for the country. The same is true of medical experts. They need to be told what the problem is they are to solve and if get ideas above their station, need to be sanctioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Who cares?

Valid points raised, reaching a certain of threshold of immunity is key. Once the vulnerable are vaccinated there is simply no credible argument to prolong lockdown. A tsunami of cases might sweep the countryside thereafter, provided this doesn't translate into hospitalisations & ICU admissions then the daily tallies become redundant. And building up natural resistance within the wider population, perhaps rendering Covid no more dangerous than a seasonal flu by 2022. Vaccines developed and refined to keep pace with stubborn mutations. Meanwhile, reopening business and letting us resume our normal everyday lives. And finally dragging ourselves out of enormous national debt as a bonus, as the rate of borrowing at present is simply not sustainable.

Of course there is an element of risk involved, sensible compromises are made but a healthy and vibrant workforce should not be squandered. Essential workers have been burdened from day one with a degree of risk, and an unfortunate fact of life is that doctors/nurses cannot protect every ill patient from death. Fatalities are simply unavoidable, look at the numbers pre-2020 in hospital & nursing home care. There is a certain threshold annually, and when the pandemic becomes a footnote in history this will continue unabated. A rational and proportionate balance must be adopted, after the most vulnerable cohorts have received their second jab the government cannot delay reopening all sectors of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,811 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I agree with the BBC article. I think mask wearing and social distancing are here for quite a time to come and I've been 100% consistent since the start on the long term nature of those types of relatively minor disease suppression issues.

On the positive side the restrictions will end but the lower level stuff above is going to remain. It's just an inevitable consequence.

People are already use to mask wearing and distance measures so it won't make any difference to them.

The main thing is to come out of the restrictions on movement as quickly as possible and get society opened up.

• Advertisement

Of course there is an element of risk involved, sensible compromises are made but a healthy and vibrant workforce should not be squandered. Essential workers have been burdened from day one with a degree of risk, and an unfortunate fact of life is that doctors/nurses cannot protect every ill patient from death. Fatalities are simply unavoidable, look at the numbers pre-2020 in hospital & nursing home care. There is a certain threshold annually, and when the pandemic becomes a footnote in history this will continue unabated. A rational and proportionate balance must be adopted, after the most vulnerable cohorts have received their second jab the government cannot delay reopening all sectors of society.
    I think the hard thing will be the return to individual responsibility. For example a lot of people are worried that some people aren't coming forward for vaccinations when called. I think society should just move forward regardless. We should not keep things closed because some people don't want the vaccine.

Just like zero-covid is a delusional goal. 100% vaccination is also delusional. Get a certain number, say, 30% vaccinated, which is probably achievable even in a vaccine-sceptical country, and then open things up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement