Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

LameBeaver wrote: »
    More is the pity. That might change yet.

Variability in Humans is one of the reasons we might eventually be replaced by AI. We're too subjective and prone to emotion which I agree is a weakness but it's reality nonetheless. Failure to take this into account while implementing nationwide restrictions is just incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This is a cheerful BBC article /s

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56475807
    Dr Ramsay said restrictions such as face coverings in crowded places and social distancing had become accepted by many and still allowed the economy to function.

She said "people have got used to those lower-level restrictions now, and people can live with them, and the economy can still go on with those less severe restrictions in place".

"So I think certainly for a few years, at least until other parts of the world are as well vaccinated as we are, and the numbers have come down everywhere, that is when we may be able to go very gradually back to a more normal situation," she added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Inquitus wrote: »
    This is a cheerful BBC article /s

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56475807

I’m sorry but how is this cheerful at all? This is more or less saying the status quo will go on indefinitely. Very sneaky way of moving the goalposts yet AGAIN.

People are enraptured with this ‘new normal’ I guess life is easier for some now. It’s easy to hide away behind four walls and watch RTE health propaganda for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

More is the pity. That might change yet.

The mask has slipped. The Branch Covidians are anti human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Parachutes wrote: »
    I’m sorry but how is this cheerful at all? This is more or less saying the status quo will go on indefinitely. Very sneaky way of moving the goalposts yet AGAIN.

People are enraptured with this ‘new normal’ I guess life is easier for some now. It’s easy to hide away behind four walls and watch RTE health propaganda for the rest of your life.

/s means sarcasm, obviously it's not cheerful, if true, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah you've got to hand it to the UK. I knew they'd take this blitz mentality- everyone lined up, army involved, everyone qualified rowing in.

Here we are farting about why not use local GAA halls sitting idle since january? Or local school halls? An abysmal failure. When this does look like its easing, we will all be trapped in this island longer than we need to.

Stop talking sense.

A GP in Artane wanted to use the local Church Hall, where he could vaccinate 500 people a week compared to 100 per week in his surgery. A sensible and practical solution not according to the HSE who told him no as the hall was not a clinical setting.

That's the mentality wee are dealing with in this crisis.

We as a people want the HSE to "JUST GET JABS IN ARMS"
    They appear to look for reasons not to get jabs in arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,834 ✭✭✭hynesie08

RGS wrote: »
    Stop talking sense.

A GP in Artane wanted to use the local Church Hall, where he could vaccinate 500 people a week compared to 100 per week in his surgery. A sensible and practical solution not according to the HSE who told him no as the hall was not a clinical setting.

That's the mentality wee are dealing with in this crisis.

We as a people want the HSE to "JUST GET JABS IN ARMS"
    They appear to look for reasons not to get jabs in arms.

Then how do you explain over 90% of vaccines in arms before the AZ pause?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Then how do you explain over 90% of vaccines in arms before the AZ pause?

Do you feel confident that Ireland will be able to administer 300k vaccines a week if given the supply? I'd bet the farm on some 'unforseen' issues that arise which will mean it'll take months to ramp up to that level.

The public's faith in the Government and HSE at this stage is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I completely agree in the justification of using a church hall - big airy buildings easy to keep people apart buut...if it were to happen I can guarantee people will refuse to enter a church if it's not of their own faith against their own religion etc etc. It could end causing more problems than it sorts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

11521323 wrote: »

The public's faith in the Government and HSE at this stage is baffling.

Some of the public, majority prehaps but certainly not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭quinnd6

The point is that many are not. So whose fcuking fault is that? The government? I don`t think so chief.

That's why I also brought that up.
    There's always going to be some f*cker that isn't going to obey the rules.
    That one f*cker interacts with other selfish f*ckers has a f*cking party or whatever so all of a sudden that spreads through multiple cases of stupidity and not caring about anyone and multiplys and hundreds of idiots have covid and the numbers are sky high.
    It doesn't work this lockdown crap just doesn't work.
    There'll always be someone to screw everything up.
    We'll never get out of the bloody lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

quinnd6 wrote: »
    That's why I also brought that up.
    There's always going to be some f*cker that isn't going to obey the rules.
    That one f*cker interacts with other selfish f*ckers has a f*cking party or whatever so all of a sudden that spreads through multiple cases of stupidity and not caring about anyone and hundreds of idiots have covid and the numbers are sky high.
    It doesn't work this lockdown crap just doesn't work.
    There'll always be someone to screw everything up.
    We'll never get out of the bloody lockdown.
    However getting out of the lockdown has very little to do with people following the rules since, even if everyone was following the rules, as soon as those rules are removed, cases would rise and the lockdown would have to be reimposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭quinnd6

However getting out of the lockdown has very little to do with people following the rules since, even if everyone was following the rules, as soon as those rules are removed, cases would rise and the lockdown would have to be reimposed.

They're talking of a 4th wave happening while we're all still in lockdown.
    So the lockdown isn't working.
    Maybe it slowed things down for a while but it has stopped working.
    So what's next then do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

One way ticket outta here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

More lockdowns of course. NPHET and the pro lockdown crowd advocate "doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results". Einstein's definition of insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

0 cases of the flu reported in Ireland this Winter. 0.

Strange that, you might say. Boards.ie pretend doctors would reply.. "That's because people are wearing masks and social distancing."

Then why are Covid cases rising?.."Because people aren't wearing masks and are not social distancing."

A strange bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ingo1984 wrote: »
    One way ticket outta here.

Where?

I guess curfews, UV lamps all over. Selected areas complete closedowns could all happen which we roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

This guy has some very interesting statistics and facts on COVID https://twitter.com/GrahamNeary

Here's an open letter he wrote to TDs to tackle the misleading COVID death numbers: https://grahamneary.wordpress.com/2021/03/21/letter-to-tds-covid-19-statistics-are-grossly-misleading-it-is-time-to-speak-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Lundstram wrote: »

Strange that, you might say. Boards.ie pretend doctors would reply.. "That's because people are wearing masks and social distancing."

Then why are Covid cases rising?.."Because people aren't wearing masks and are not social distancing."

A strange bunch.

One is a coronavirus and one is influenza. The flu isn't near as contagious.

What are you getting at anyway, do you think the flu is a big conspiracy or there isn't really any Covid cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭aziz

GooglePlus wrote: »
    One is a coronavirus and one is influenza. The flu isn't near as contagious.

What are you getting at anyway, do you think the flu is a big conspiracy or there isn't really any Covid cases?

I say something if flu cases were lower, but none at all?

• Advertisement

aziz wrote: »
    I say something if flu cases were lower, but none at all?

So what do you think is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Lundstram wrote: »

A strange bunch.

Real doctors would reply that, with a uncontrolled Covid 19 R0 of 4.5, and a seasonal flu R0 of 1.5, the measures being taken in mask wearing and social distancing are more than ample to wipe out seasonal flu, yet not sufficient for Covid. So you might rightly say, no cases of seasonal flu, is not strange at all.

But no flu at at, how unlikely is that

And the “REAL” doctors were warning us at the end of last summer that we be royally ****ed if we get a surge of COVID with the flu in the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well we're fecked now altogether when the flu comes back as it'll be a Novel virus, we've lot our immunity.

But no flu at at, how unlikely is that

But that's the case, so it's as likely as it being an absolute fact. What do you think is happening exactly?

What do you think is happening exactly?

If I knew I would say so but like most of the experts,I am “ clueless “

If I knew I would say so but like most of the experts,I am “ clueless “

I'm just asking because you've made a point of shedding light on something potentially sinister behind the fact that there are no flu cases this year, what are you basing this on, if anything. What is your point exactly, do you think there is something at play here, someone cooking the flu books?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Restrictions do reduce transmission and therefore hospitalizations, ICU occupancy and deaths (at least in the short term) but a severe lockdown does not, as far as I can see, equate to shortening the overall period lockdowns are necessary. Only immunity does that or drugs that render the virus less severe that it can be better lived with.

I think the reason people think otherwise is that they've still got the unexamined idea of eradication in the back of their minds. No lockdown will ever be severe enough to eradicate the virus since this has to happen worldwide.

• Advertisement

I'm just asking because you've made a point of shedding light on something potentially sinister behind the fact that there are no flu cases this year, what are you basing this on, if anything. What is your point exactly, do you think there is something at play here, someone cooking the flu books?

As I said,I’ve no idea why there hasn’t been any flu,I’m not a conspiracy theorist so I wouldn’t think of anything sinister happening but I just find it strange that a virus that cripples our hospitals every winter is nowhere to be found this year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement