Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

VG31 wrote: »
    If Harvey Norman, Currys, DID etc. are closed, what are you supposed to do if your oven, washing machine, kettle, microwave and so on breaks?

Buy them online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

mandrake04 wrote: »
    That was in Melbourne, no one really cares about them. The other 80% of the country was living a fairly normal life.

Good friend living in Melbourne. The whole city was locked up with curfews in place etc. She said she was losing her mind.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54686812

Nearly 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Good friend living in Melbourne. The whole city was locked up with curfews in place etc. She said she was losing her mind.

Nearly 4 months.

I could live with that now, but the new talk of no travel at all this year is really getting to me. Leo & Martin, both told us, that if we sat tight for Christmas it would enable us to travel in 2021, and now both of them are backtracking on that almost instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

uli84 wrote: »
    When it gets accepted that old and ill health people die

https://youtu.be/l9CO65EmNGs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Quazzie wrote: »
    I could live with that now, but the new talk of no travel at all this year is really getting to me. Leo & Martin, both told us, that if we sat tight for Christmas it would enable us to travel in 2021, and now both of them are backtracking on that almost instantly.

It's almost as if they haven't a clue what they're doing one day to the next...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Circumstances were different back then. There's a new strain now which is more easily transmissible. Have you thought about what that actually means? It means that the lockdown measures that were in place last year, won't be as effective this year because the virus is more transmissible. It's disappointing, but it's just common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I wonder what we will be arguing, on the internet, about when all this is finally over

Trump will be back in politics by then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

That will be out the window the minute Martin steps on a plane to DC to meet Joe Biden to celebrate a holiday that he already cancelled here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've taken the view this isn't going to end as such, just be accommodated like other virus.

A vax shot as and when deemed appropriate, possibly restrictions on international travel esp to parts of world where Covid 19 is less well controlled or restrictions and protection measures required while in those countries.

I've taken the view this isn't going to end as such, just be accommodated like other virus.

A vax shot as and when deemed appropriate, possibly restrictions on international travel esp to parts of world where Covid 19 is less well controlled or restrictions and protection measures required while in those countries.

Yeah that seems realistic. I read an article that suggested the poorer parts of the world wont be able to organise a complete vaccine programme until 2024. So the virus isn't going to go away completely. Probably add to your list: Masks, distancing, routine testing, tracing and quarantining, and more work from home options too.

I wonder how long it will take until we have things like packed pubs, nightclubs, concerts or sports events. Routine casual hugging and handshakes as greetings might never return. People touching and kissing babies and old people might never return either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

But the collective we didn't sit tight! That's why we are in this fix. Anyhow where would you be going? Inter county travel will do fine. Even intracounty for a big place like Cork or Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yeah that seems realistic. I read an article that suggested the poorer parts of the world wont be able to organise a complete vaccine programme until 2024. So the virus isn't going to go away completely. Probably add to your list: Masks, distancing, routine testing, tracing and quarantining, and more work from home options too.

I wonder how long it will take until we have things like packed pubs, nightclubs, concerts or sports events. Routine casual hugging and handshakes as greetings might never return. People touching and kissing babies and old people might never return either.

So it's not all bad then! :pac:

Seriously though new borns is an interesting one, pre-covid we were probably a bit too hands on given infants are not born with fully functioning protection but we always say things like "it'll make them stronger, didn't hurt me when I was a child" from here on it really might hurt unless cheap one-shot vaccines, which will be what the world needs after the initial "fix" can defeat transmission to a very high level.

Seriously though new borns is an interesting one, pre-covid we were probably a bit too hands on given infants are not born with fully functioning protection but we always say things like "it'll make them stronger, didn't hurt me when I was a child" from here on it really might hurt unless cheap one-shot vaccines, which will be what the world needs after the initial "fix" can defeat transmission to a very high level.

Yeah absolutely people were way too touchy-feely with newborns (no nefarious intentions implied). Likewise old people with compromised immune systems.

Hopefully they can develop a one-shot vaccine and things can go back to properly normal. But do you wonder what other side benefits will come from all the medical research? Surely the huge push to fix this problem will spawn other research and medicines. I wonder what they’ll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Read an article a while back that there was very serious concern amongst scientists that a prolonged lockdown could create serious long term problems as children would not be exposed to various bugs the way they should be.

Can't find the article I read at the time, but from memory it was fairly weighted to scientific opinion, but here's something simular along that lines from NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/parenting/children-immunity-staying-home-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Read an article a while back that there was very serious concern amongst scientists that a prolonged lockdown could create serious long term problems as children would not be exposed to various bugs the way they should be.

Can't find the article I read at the time, but from memory it was fairly weighted to scientific opinion, but here's something simular along that lines from NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/parenting/children-immunity-staying-home-coronavirus.html

That's been obvious to everyone since the start. Except for the idiots running the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mcsean2163 wrote: »

Nearly 4 months.

I live in Sydney and I wasn’t locked up, we closed the borders and got on with our near normal lives. Even in April/May when they closed stuff like pubs and cinemas etc it was a breeze.

Victoria is like a different country, different government, different laws, different news etc. you can’t say Australia was under lockdown when it was only one state that’s just dumb. Melbourne took the European model and went full retard, Scott Morrison told their Premier to sort it out...whatever it takes.

I think that attitude has been out the window for a while now. We know that pregnant and breastfeeding women and newborns are more vulnerable to diseases, have for a long time. I "shielded" both of mine for 8 weeks after they were born because that was the advice even pre Covid. IMO stupid people just want to show them off and have the big christening.

I was walking through a market with the eldest in my arms when about 3/4 months old and a total stranger reached out to touch the baby's cheek. Every fibre of my body wanted to throw that person into a vat of acid but I instead politely but firmly told her it's rude and risky to try to touch a very small baby without even making eye contact with the parent. She looked around to the person that she was with to laugh at me for what I'd said, but didn't get much support from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lola40

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I think that attitude has been out the window for a while now. We know that pregnant and breastfeeding women and newborns are more vulnerable to diseases, have for a long time. I "shielded" both of mine for 8 weeks after they were born because that was the advice even pre Covid. IMO stupid people just want to show them off and have the big christening.

I was walking through a market with the eldest in my arms when about 3/4 months old and a total stranger reached out to touch the baby's cheek. Every fibre of my body wanted to throw that person into a vat of acid but I instead politely but firmly told her it's rude and risky to try to touch a very small baby without even making eye contact with the parent. She looked around to the person that she was with to laugh at me for what I'd said, but didn't get much support from them.

Jaysus, you sound lovely !

Lola40 wrote: »
    Jaysus, you sound lovely !

I am seriously lovely. The vat of acid instinct was definitely as a result of hormones. But equally seriously, I don't know where a stranger's hands have been and it's safer for my newborn if they aren't all over their face.

Wouldnt listen to them two. They havent got a clue whats going on. Changing there minds every few weeks. I am sure we will get to travel sometime this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wouldnt listen to them two. They havent got a clue whats going on. Changing there minds every few weeks. I am sure we will get to travel sometime this year

Or maybe this is a highly unusual situation which is highly dynamic, causing changes regularly, id say our politicians are doing their best

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Or maybe this is a highly unusual situation which is highly dynamic, causing changes regularly, id say our politicians are doing their best
    Highly dynamic you say... does that mean they should have made a strategy back in last February and never deviated from that decision, lest they be accused of “changing their minds” every few weeks?

Of course they should change their minds when new information comes to light. The new variations are more transmissible and that changes the calculations. If our leaders didn’t change their minds based on the evidence, then we’d really be in trouble.

People’s expectations should also change along with the new information. The poster telling people they’re sure we’ll be able to travel (presumably they mean for holidays or recreation) is not helping. If you look around, the only people encouraging anyone to book a holiday is the holiday companies like TUI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Lillyfae wrote: »

Seriously lily, you need to send this kid out to play with the dirt so they can build an immune system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

And they will keep doing that, Next January they will be saying no travel for 2022 ... the following january for 2023 etc.

When will people realise this ? and for the lockdown larrys in here, when will you say enough is enough ???

Will you be happy in 2024 when you still can't take a holiday abroad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I heard a statement a few days ago on a radio programme that I think is a very true reflection of our politicians.

( The leaders and politicians we have are no good at leading,But there are very good at following)

Thought this summed up our government to a tee.

Highly dynamic you say... does that mean they should have made a strategy back in last February and never deviated from that decision, lest they be accused of “changing their minds” every few weeks?

Of course they should change their minds when new information comes to light. The new variations are more transmissible and that changes the calculations. If our leaders didn’t change their minds based on the evidence, then we’d really be in trouble.

People’s expectations should also change along with the new information. The poster telling people they’re sure we’ll be able to travel (presumably they mean for holidays or recreation) is not helping. If you look around, the only people encouraging anyone to book a holiday is the holiday companies like TUI...

if the government put better protective measures in place for businesses, maybe companies wouldnt be doing so

I heard a statement a few days ago on a radio programme that I think is a very true reflection of our politicians.

( The leaders and politicians we have are no good at leading,But there are very good at following)

Thought this summed up our government to a tee.

who has truly gotten this right? we ve never experienced this before, all countries are pretty much winging it, all governments are leading and following at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

who has truly gotten this right? we ve never experienced this before, all countries are pretty much winging it, all governments are leading and following at the same time

A small island surrounded by water. I think a good leader with good politicians could of had this island in as good a place as new Zealand.

if the government put better protective measures in place for businesses, maybe companies wouldnt be doing so

TUI is a German company?

• Advertisement

A small island surrounded by water. I think a good leader with good politicians could of had this island in as good a place as new Zealand.

...with deep connections with its neighbors that are ultimately opposed to barriers that prevent the free movement of people, im not so sure about that!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement