Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

You shouldn't worry guys there is quite rumblings of the deepening damage to the economy. Economic reality will open stuff up long before everyone is vaccinated. Although it will be interesting to see where the tax and cuts will manifest themselves when the bill starts to be repaid.

ECB will get the money printers rolling , every nation on earth is living on expanded debt until the inevitable collapse of our monetary system

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

How does a vaccine passport work for the over 50s work in Denmark with regards to hospitality. I presume the unavccinated hospitality workers would be allowed work?

How long will this system stay in place? We are closer to living in 1984 every day and I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    How long will this system stay in place?

For a long time I'd imagine, and rightly so. The anti-vaxxers deserve to be left out in the cold while the rest of us get on with life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,618 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How does a vaccine passport work for the over 50s work in Denmark with regards to hospitality. I presume the unavccinated hospitality workers would be allowed work?

How long will this system stay in place? We are closer to living in 1984 every day and I hate it.

If you really believe this then you either haven't read 1984 or you did read it and didn't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LameBeaver

Vaccines passports will very soon be everywhere and will be permanent. It`s the new normal chief. Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As I said, not just covid patients. If the hospitals are at capacity due to covid patients then it gets messy. Covid deaths increase and critical patients are prioritised, mistakes are made. Conditions aren't ideal. Non covid patient treatment then suffers. Hospitals were almost pushed to capacity at xmas. There's knock on effects you have to take into account when it comes to these things. You can't just think of it in terms of Covid.

And to be honest I don't feel like catching Covid and suffering some of the long term effects that are being reported.

LameBeaver wrote: »
    Vaccines passports will very soon be everywhere and will be permanent. It`s the new normal chief. Deal with it.

I'm sure certain people will love it but I hate it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People need to learn the difference between inconvenience and oppression.

I very much doubt a vaccine passport will be introduced. It will make things a whole lot easier but will be challenged in court and there's no hope in hell it will stand up in court as it will violate a lot of personal rights laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

And who exactly is going to fill up all these body bags?!

There's a complete willful dishonesty as regards to who is actually dying in this country from Covid.

The vast majority of deaths is form people in their 80s, which whatever way you want to dress it is end-stage life. These people have to die from something in roughly this timeframe. Life expectancy in Ireland is roughly 82. The majority of deaths in the first wave were nursing home deaths - why do people go to nursing homes?

When are people going to realise that people die, it cannot be stopped.

We'll see in 10-15 years the true impact in terms of excess deaths and whether our response has been in any way proportionate or appropriate.

Very flippant attitude, you are willing to sacrifice your elders and vulnerable putting them through a horrible drawn out battle for their last breaths? No-one is in denial that people die, but you would have different priorities if you or a loved one had an underlying illness which would make catching covid a significant risk to them. Perhaps you can understand that if the health system is overwhelmed and collapses, people who need treatment for other things are also going to suffer, whatever their age.

Why exactly is that? Explain yourself.

• Advertisement

Why exactly is that? Explain yourself.

I don't know why they love it, maybe you can explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As I said, not just covid patients. If the hospitals are at capacity due to covid patients then it gets messy. Covid deaths increase and critical patients are prioritised, mistakes are made. Conditions aren't ideal. Non covid patient treatment then suffers. Hospitals were almost pushed to capacity at xmas. There's knock on effects you have to take into account when it comes to these things. You can't just think of it in terms of Covid.

And to be honest I don't feel like catching Covid and suffering some of the long term effects that are being reported.

In the past year the hospitals were at their lowest capacity than in any of the five preceeding years.

People need to learn the difference between inconvenience and oppression.

I very much doubt a vaccine passport will be introduced. It will make things a whole lot easier but will be challenged in court and there's no hope in hell it will stand up in court as it will violate a lot of personal rights laws.

Is that a fact? I seem to recall John Waters and that loon Gemma O`Doherty went to the High Court with similar claims. That turned out well for them didn`t it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If we come out of lockdown or ease lockdown with the current numbers it will be a less than 2 months before the hospitals are overwhelmed and the bodybags are building up outside the morgue.

March 2020 called, says you stole its line.

ingo1984 wrote: »
    In the past year the hospitals were at their lowest capacity than in any of the five preceeding years.

Did you read this on social media or have you official reports to verify this?

Or maybe it's culminative affect over the year. We had the hospitals at dangerously high capacities but during lockdown it was low.... which proves lockdowns work.

I don't know why they love it, maybe you can explain?

I`m asking why do you hate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Is that a fact? I seem to recall John Waters and that loon Gemma O`Doherty went to the High Court with similar claims. That turned out well for them didn`t it?

Gemma and John challenged a vaccine passport? When did this happen?
    You seem a tad passive aggressive, everything ok?

Figure it out yourself

It's not fact until tested in court. John and Gemma went to the court over absolute nonsense and were always going to fail. Gob****es. I can see a case being made though that vaccine passports prejudice against the vaccinated and unvaccinated or something like that and there's a chance that might hold up.
    March 2020 called, says you stole its line.

What's this March 2020 nonsense? When the pandemic started and numbers were low? How is that comparable to now when we are deep in it with numbers way above what we had then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

There are already several tropical countries that to go to or come from you need vaccines. Vaccine passports are nothing new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Sure look if it gets us moving again in the short term it might be worth it, people might get to see families abroad again sooner than later.

Scotty # wrote: »
    There are already several tropical countries that to go to or come from you need vaccines. Vaccine passports are nothing new.

Going to a different country is completely different to going to a local restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

For a long time I'd imagine, and rightly so. The anti-vaxxers deserve to be left out in the cold while the rest of us get on with life.

They've completely undermined the process so blame the Govt and media for that. Before we started vaccinating they were on about variations [they're even making up ones] and how the vaccines wont work against them so we'll still have to wear face masks, social distance and occasionally have lockdowns and other restrictions.

Why wouldn't a rational person ask themselves "Why bother getting it?" They're making it seem worthless before they can administer it to enough people.

Gemma and John challenged a vaccine passport? When did this happen?

I never said they did chief. I stated similar claims regarding Covid measures which were laughed out of court. A challenge by anyone to vaccine passports after they are introduced will go the same way.

Going to a different country is completely different to going to a local restaurant

They are right though, and it's something I didn't take into account. It sets a legal precedence.

Figure it out yourself

So no explanation then. Right so chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They've completely undermined the process so blame the Govt and media for that. Before we started vaccinating they were on about variations B]they're even making up ones[/B and how the vaccines wont work against them so we'll still have to wear face masks, social distance and occasionally have lockdowns and other restrictions.

Why wouldn't a rational person ask themselves "Why bother getting it?" They're making it seem worthless before they can administer it to enough people.

Any evidence for this claim?

Scotty # wrote: »

There are some countries that require travelers to be vaccinated against Yellow Fever, a disease (at least) seven times more deadly than Covid-19, usually only if they are returning from a location where the disease is prevalent. In people under forty, it's a hundred (at least) times more deadly. Vaccine certification for other diseases is extremely rare.

And that's to enter the country, not Starbucks.

They are right though, and it's something I didn't take into account. It sets a legal precedence.

It doesn't. The law in other countries has no effect on Irish law.

• Advertisement

I can't answer for that poster, but I am very much opposed to setting a precedent that the state effectively creates "tiers" where the most compliant can most fully participate in public life while others are excluded. Something very China about it.

Chief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement