Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

It’s very difficult to predict a return to some sort of normality when you have a government that have advocated their responsibility aided and abetted by the national broadcaster, it is the government’s job to govern, and it is also important that they listen to expert advice and opinion when making these major decisions. They should listen to Nphet on viral projections and how to minimise its impact, they should listen to the central bank on financial projections and how to minimise economic damage, listen to ibec and major employers on keeping jobs viable, they should listen to groups like the construction industry federation, hospitality, tourism, mental health, social wellbeing etc, and using all the data and information the government should then make balanced and progressive plans using all that information and data.
    Instead they have stopped governing and handed the country over to nphet without any thoughts to society as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

MadYaker wrote: »
    This post is hilarious on many levels. Good to see this forum is still the bottom of the barrel.

Ah here your comment is relevant to all the threads, my favourite on the main thread was the musings of one of the more hysteria prone posters asking 'what if Ebola and Covid had a baby'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »

Leaky Leo can go shove his numbers and his messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,729 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

corkonion wrote:
    It’s very difficult to predict a return to some sort of normality when you have a government that have advocated their responsibility aided and abetted by the national broadcaster, it is the government’s job to govern, and it is also important that they listen to expert advice and opinion when making these major decisions. They should listen to Nphet on viral projections and how to minimise its impact, they should listen to the central bank on financial projections and how to minimise economic damage, listen to ibec and major employers on keeping jobs viable, they should listen to groups like the construction industry federation, hospitality, tourism, mental health, social wellbeing etc, and using all the data and information the government should then make balanced and progressive plans using all that information and data. Instead they have stopped governing and handed the country over to nphet without any thoughts to society as a whole.

No they haven't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Rodin wrote: »
    Will be another 3 months before any meaningful change in restrictions.

And it will only be a respite at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

At poll on NT this morning

Should we re open when the vulnerable are vaccinated?

80% yes
    12% no
    8% no opinion

When do those 20% think we should re open.

The year long scare mongering has really got to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When do they expect the vulnerable to have had their 1st jab?

Ciara Kelly is going to be screaming from the beaches when it happens...

I’m getting a very weird vibe from all my friends and family lately. Nobody cares anymore. Desensitised by the numbers, not bothered with the news anymore, sick of the lectures from NPHET, don’t even seem to care if lockdown continues or not.

Essentially, it’s like a nationwide depression at this point.

People are starting to break the rules out of necessity for their own sanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think it's clear we can all sense how fed up people are with life at present, and the fact that there doesn't seem to be light at the end of the tunnel..

I'd say back in the 1st few months of this in April to June 2020, everyone thought the gov was handling it really well, and Leo was everyone's hero. Now I think the gov are being held up as failures to sort out this mess, and I honestly think if most of 2021 is a write off, the gov parties will suffer big time come the next election. I can see all this being SFs best source of new voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The UK are now looking to bring into law mandatory vaccination of all care home staff. If you refuse the jab you’re essentially fired. Once that is passed then all bets are off.

This thing of a mandatory vaccine for health care workers is spreading all over the continet, and I don't understand it.
    They say that it would be just absurd if someone of the staff in charge for taking care of fragile patients should pass the virus on to a patient.
    The vaccine will protect the patients because the staff is vaccinated.

But they said that the vaccine is not sterilising, so why would a vaccinated HCW be safer to the patients than a non-vaccinated HCW?

• Advertisement

Leo is just playing along, if he can get this garda enquiry out of the way and the at risk are vaccinated he'll defy Tony again, MM hasn't the spine for it.
    The North will be serving pints in 20 days, we already know the Irish Government can't control the border, I can see us all having meaningful holidays up north if MM's plan doesn't cut it next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

This thing of a mandatory vaccine for health care workers is spreading all over the continet, and I don't understand it.
    They say that it would be just absurd if someone of the staff in charge for taking care of fragile patients should pass the virus on to a patient.
    The vaccine will protect the patients because the staff is vaccinated.

But they said that the vaccine is not sterilising, so why would a vaccinated HCW be safer to the patients than a non-vaccinated HCW?

The HCW's employer bad a duty to uphold the health and safety of the employee themselves. That includes protecting them from the virus' most severe effects. By way of vaccine

The HCW's employer bad a duty to uphold the health and safety of the employee themselves. That includes protecting them from the virus' most severe effects. By way of vaccine

We don't know ADE isn't a thing for another 12mts or longer, scientist claim it's not but we're still in the test phase, it didn't appear to be in mice, this could go terribly wrong if we force a Trojan Horse into all health care workers.
    Vaccines should be your own choice especially an emergency use one if your not at risk of severe disease.

Alright, but then they shouldn't sell this duty as a way to protect the patients from the staff, because we all know it is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

This year and most of next will be a write-off. 2023 things will be back to somewhat normal. Come October we will see a huge increase in cases once again. The vaccine rollout is well underway but will hit many hurdles and problems before the majority aref vaccinated.

We don't know ADE isn't a thing for another 12mts or longer, scientist claim it's not but we're still in the test phase, it didn't appear to be in mice, this could go terribly wrong if we force a Trojan Horse into all health care workers.
    Vaccines should be your own choice especially an emergency use one if your not at risk of severe disease.

Then go and work in a different job.
    If say if people were banned from getting on a plane if unvaccinated that their staunch resistance would soon wither.
    They'd be booking in for the jab on the way to buying the suncream.

Alright, but then they shouldn't sell this duty as a way to protect the patients from the staff, because we all know it is not true.

The other way to look at that aspect is to maximise the chances of the staff being fit for work.
    One major issue in January was staff out sick.
    This will reduce sick leave due to Covid.

The other way to look at that aspect is to maximise the chances of the staff being fit for work.
    One major issue in January was staff out sick.
    This will reduce sick leave due to Covid.

I'm fine and fully agree with it. But patients will be still at risk of getting the virus from the staff :)

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    This year and most of next will be a write-off. 2023 things will be back to somewhat normal. Come October we will see a huge increase in cases once again. The vaccine rollout is well underway but will hit many hurdles and problems before the majority aref vaccinated.

Doesn’t matter how many cases there are once everyone is vaccinated.

Unless we are prepared to continue locking down and borrowing billions while we wait on a 100% immunity vaccine.

What is ADE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I’m getting a very weird vibe from all my friends and family lately. Nobody cares anymore. Desensitised by the numbers, not bothered with the news anymore, sick of the lectures from NPHET, don’t even seem to care if lockdown continues or not.

I know a lot of people who have decided that they're returning to work at the start of April regardless of what the Government/NPHET come out with.

People have had enough. Lots of people are feeling financial pressure and/or mental pressure too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,799 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

GazzaL wrote: »
    I know a lot of people who have decided that they're returning to work at the start of April regardless of what the Government/NPHET come out with.

People have had enough. Lots of people are feeling financial pressure and/or mental pressure too.

I have had a letter from my employer since the start of all this stating I should be allowed to travel to work.

However, the option to WFH was there and I've done it for nearly a year now.

I am seriously considering going back into my work in the next couple of months, now that the dark winter mornings have passed.

I need to get back to some sort of normality soon, having your home and your work in the same place and nothing else is really draining. Would be nice to actually meet people again who aren't my family.

What is ADE?

Antibody-dependent enhancement

Basically your dependent on vaccine antibodies so you body doesn't know it needs to trigger your immune system (t-cells), it could give a variant or reinfection an easy way in to do a lot of damage.
    As I said it's not a thing but it's way too early to tell but it's probably the main thing they're watching for with these vaccines. It's 1-5yrs before we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,834 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Leo is just playing along, if he can get this garda enquiry out of the way and the at risk are vaccinated he'll defy Tony again, MM hasn't the spine for it.
    The North will be serving pints in 20 days, we already know the Irish Government can't control the border, I can see us all having meaningful holidays up north if MM's plan doesn't cut it next week.

Sure about that?

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Sure about that?

No, I was chatting to one of my mates in the UK since then, says they're hyping the Euro 4th Wave over there so he can't see it happening now.

I'm fine and fully agree with it. But patients will be still at risk of getting the virus from the staff :)

And vice versa but every person vaccinated is a step closer to us getting to open up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Most people just see the restrictions as an inconvience now whereas before they thought they were nessecary evil.

There are also people who are engaging into anti-social behaviors, like not respecting some everyday rules, parking across two spaces, not recycling the waste, littering the streets, wasting resources like water, electricity, polluting more, and so on.
    I, myself, am doing a few of the above. Kind of a vent to ease the pressure I feel on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Is there any source to check how many vaccines Ireland gets weekly? I’ve googled it without any luck.

• Advertisement

There are also people who are engaging into anti-social behaviors, like not respecting some everyday rules, parking across two spaces, not recycling the waste, littering the streets, wasting resources like water, electricity, polluting more, and so on.
    I, myself, am doing a few of the above. Kind of a vent to ease the pressure I feel on me.

and to ease the pressure I feel rather than complaining all the time, I have been litter picking every day for the last month in my area. Coffee cups, take away meal trays, face masks, drink cans, wine bottles, milk cartons............... yesterday alone I picked up 6 large black sacks of this rubbish. I am doing this for my local county council who supply the picker and the sacks. Its really soul destroying, as soon as its cleaned, the next day the same culprits have thrown their filth all over the place again.

You should be ashamed of yourself if you are part of this problem :mad::mad::mad::mad:

What has littering got to do with Covid restrictions??
    Do you never think of the people who have to clean up after you? Where do you think your rubbish ends up? In rivers, fields, forests, ditches, streams and seas. Destroying wildlife.

I am completely anti restrictions and have been from the beginning. I suffer from depression a lot. I don't agree with anything this Government have done! But by doing something positive I feel I am helping rather than causing trouble. Maybe you should do the same and you would feel less resentful and more useful! Rubbish bags, gloves, pickers, high vis vests all available for FREE from your local county council, just email them!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement