Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Great to see hairdressers open again and some retail get some life in the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Lundstram wrote: »
    And just to reiterate the wastage of money.

1500 people with no symptoms walked in for PCR tests today across the 5 new test centres.
    1500 x €150 = €225,000 before any staff are paid a cent.

That is just for one day.

What a disgusting waste of money to ease the insecurities of people scared sh!tless by MSM over the past year.

Would be much easier to go into schools and to an anti body test.
    Then you get an idea of how many have had the virus all along that we didnt know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Then you get an idea of how many have had the virus all along that we didnt know about.

Requires a blood draw, taking blood from school age kids not worth the surveillance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I don't think it would be unreasonable to say we've only captured 1 in 10 cases.
    That's nearly half the country. Anti body tests don't tell you about t-cells, they haven't invented a test for that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bit of a tangent here, but I listened to Philip Nolan during yesterday's NPHET presser, and all I could think of was Colin Robinson.

Fans of What We Do In The Shadows will understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It cost every man, woman and child in the country €0.03 each today so

scandalous

I know, right. They should have tested everybody twice or three times just to be sure, its only another couple of hundred grand. Not like we are paying for it.

I see Paul Reid is concerned about children playing together after school, but still insists that they are perfectly fine being together when actually at school.

Who exactly do these clowns think think they are fooling?

I see Paul Reid is concerned about children playing together after school, but still insists that they are perfectly fine being together when actually at school.

This one I can’t understand. It’s the same as the “non essential items” in the supermarket being blocked off. I’m already there, what’s the difference in me picking it up? Absolute madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,800 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This one I can’t understand. It’s the same as the “non essential items” in the supermarket being blocked off. I’m already there, what’s the difference in me picking it up? Absolute madness.

I guess the logic might be that some people will go shop only for the non-essential items, and make an extra trip to get them.

Are non-essential items still blocked off? I know in my local Aldi/Lidl those isles are open again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You do realise they're not the same thing don't you? Or do you? Do you understand any of this?

One has strict protocols to be followed and is shown to be relatively safe. The other is more or less a free for all.

Can you see the difference??? Go on, admit it, you can't can you!!!?!

• Advertisement

Children in our local school got positive results on St Patricks day. One was sick in school on the monday and sent home. Each of them was out on.
    All other kids in those classes went in for the rest of the week until another parent told someone and it filtered through.
    School werent even told of the postive results.
    Principal rang the HSE when they found out about it. HSE said carry on as normal, it wasnt a school outbreak. Principals hands were tied, even though they said that that class and the brothers and sisters of the kids in that class were all in school together the week before and the days before paddys day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,019 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kids going to school is essential, and they will mix between a set number of easily traced people.

Kids going to the park to "hang around" is not essential, and they will mix from a different more widely variable set of very hard to trace people.

Common* sense really.

*not actually common

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

No one is really concerned about kids welfare or education, society in general is more interested in facilitating people going off on holidays than educating their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

NIMAN wrote: »
    I guess the logic might be that some people will go shop only for the non-essential items, and make an extra trip to get them.

Are non-essential items still blocked off? I know in my local Aldi/Lidl those isles are open again.
    In Drogheda, some of the town is in Louth and some is in Meath.

The Louth side shops tend to have non-essential blocked off at the guards direction. The Meath side doesn't.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Kids going to school is essential, and they will mix between a set number of easily traced people.

I am perfectly aware that school is essential and would have no problem whatsoever if Reid just said that schools were too important to close and so the risk was judged to be acceptable.

My problem is the insult to our intelligence when they pretend that the virus doesn't spread in schools, made worse by immediately crying about those same kids when they are outside of schools.

The tracing argument is redundant to me, the test and trace systems aren't worth a poodles fart, they aren't tracing them whether it is in school or not.

I am perfectly aware that school is essential and would have no problem whatsoever if Reid just said that schools were too important to close and so the risk was judged to be acceptable.

My problem is the insult to our intelligence when they pretend that the virus doesn't spread in schools, made worse by immediately crying about those same kids when they are outside of schools.

The tracing argument is redundant to me, the test and trace systems aren't worth a poodles fart, they aren't tracing them whether it is in school or not.
    CASE 1

Child A goes to school. Mixes with Children B-M.

Child gets COVID-19. Children B-M all go home for testing and/or quarantining.

Outcome: 1 child gets Covid and potentially gives it to a few isolated cases who were made aware of it and therefore isolated the incident.

Or

CASE 2.

Child A goes to the park. Mixes with Children N-Z.

Child gets COVID-19. Children N-Z never get to know about it, and spread to to all of the N-Z families.

Outcome: 1 child gets Covid, and due to the "need to let 'em out and play" there are potentially hundreds of people infected in a small village/town.

CASE 1

Child A goes to school. Mixes with Children B-M.

Child gets COVID-19. Children B-M all go home for testing and/or quarantining.

Outcome: 1 child gets Covid and potentially gives it to a few isolated cases who were made aware of it and therefore isolated the incident.

Or

CASE 2.

Child A goes to the park. Mixes with Children N-Z.

Child gets COVID-19. Children N-Z never get to know about it, and spread to to all of the N-Z families.

Outcome: 1 child gets Covid, and due to the "need to let 'em out and play" there are potentially hundreds of people infected in a small village/town.

I think you are missing the fact that children A-M all go home and spread it to their brothers and sisters, along with A-M all going back to school next day, plus all the other children and their families that they passed it on to at home, will be going into their own different classes and schools for the days afterwards, repeating the process. Then after thats been going on a few days, child A shows symptoms, but it has spread far and wide by that point. Then they get tested and told to stay home. Meanwhile B-M and god knows how many more are still in school until they show symptoms, or they might never show symptoms.

The virus doesnt just transmit on the day you are tested positive.

I think you are missing the fact that children A-M all go home and spread it to their brothers and sisters, along with A-M all going back to school next day,
    Not to mention that for the vast majority of children, the kids they are having on play dates are their friends from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bit of a tangent here, but I listened to Philip Nolan during yesterday's NPHET presser, and all I could think of was Colin Robinson.

Fans of What We Do In The Shadows will understand.

One of the best ways To drain people’s energy nowadays is via long drawn out NPHET briefings! :)

Not to mention that for the vast majority of children, the kids they are having on play dates are their friends from school.

And a lot of people are taking the view, well if I have to go out to bring the kids to scholl and bring them home when they are all so close together all day, sure im already exposed. Why bother holding back anymore myself.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile B-M and god knows how many more are still in school until they show symptoms, or they might never show symptoms.

No.

If a student tests positive the whole class is dismissed, to either quarantine, and/or be tested, or at least that is the case in any school in my locality.

No.

If a student tests positive the whole class is dismissed, to either quarantine, and/or be tested, or at least that is the case in any school in my locality.

I know 100% for a fact that that is not true.
    And I have first hand experience of it. As recently as last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/two-more-months-of-lockdownand-easter-play-dates-on-banned-list-as-toll-on-children-revealed-40241248.html

Indo reporting 2 more months of lock down. So that's the June bank holiday at this stage ruled out. I have a house booked for the first week July in Donegal - even looking doubtful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/two-more-months-of-lockdownand-easter-play-dates-on-banned-list-as-toll-on-children-revealed-40241248.html

Indo reporting 2 more months of lock down. So that's the June bank holiday at this stage ruled out. I have a house booked for the first week July in Donegal - even looking doubtful now.
    The important thing is you clicked on the link as was the point of the headline .

The important thing is you clicked on the link as was the point of the headline .

Yes it's indicating 2 more months of level 5. have I missed something?

Click bait. Nothing behind it at all.
    Anyway not a chance of them not lifting travel restrictions. The natives wont have it, and they know it.

Click bait. Nothing behind it at all.
    Anyway not a chance of them not lifting travel restrictions. The natives wont have it, and they know it.

We'll know Tuesday. I can't see country wide travel being relaxed with the level of spread currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Media needs to generate advertising income, since social media is now where people get most of there information online Newspapers need to demonstrate to potential advertiser's that they have a high volume of traffic to their site. I wonder how they do this?.......

Media needs to generate advertising income, since social media is now where people get most of there information online Newspapers need to demonstrate to potential advertiser's that they have a high volume of traffic to their site. I wonder how they do this?.......

I always find the weekly Daily Mirror story about apocalyptic weather next week entertaining.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/met-eireann-forecast-snowy-spells-23780137

• Advertisement

As I said above, we'll find out Tuesday. I'm guessing at least 4 weeks, if not 6 of Level 5. What's your own opinion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement