Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Parachutes wrote: »
    And the world kept spinning.

Guess what, it's still spinning and will be spinning long after you and I are mere dust particles. Meanwhile I will protect myself from inconsiderate people so I don't end up with flu/cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'm not suggesting they won't be scrapped. I'm saying that there's no evidence by way of a statement or a definitive end date for all measures, or at least, as is the case in Switzerland, a possible end date, that they will be. And there's no level 0 in the 'living with covid plan'.

Well, herd immunity hasn’t been reached by anyone yet. So how can they say when SD and masks will end?

It's clickbait rubbish using the opinion of an 'expert'. I didn't click as I have no interest in generating ad revenue to the paper you linked.

Sam Roberts is a journalist for the Irish Mirror. He's not an expert. He describes what level 1 looks like. The description is taken from gov.ie. The article suggests that level 1 in Ireland is comparable with life in Australia and New Zealand, where life is normal apart from the border being closed. Of the two, life is more normal in Australia, apart from Victoria to some extent, although masks are more and more becoming a thing of the past there, because masks are currently mandatory on public transport in New Zealand.

Level 1 in Ireland still includes masks and social distancing. Nothing clickbait about the article. It describes level 1 in Ireland accurately.

Well, herd immunity hasn’t been reached by anyone yet. So how can they say when SD and masks will end?

The point is that in Switzerland they are saying that the plan is to lift all measures. So a person in Switzerland has public statements to back up their belief that lie will go back to normal. There is nothing to back up that belief in Ireland. I'm not saying that all measures will definitely be lifted in Switzerland by summer, but that is the intention, and it has been stated publicly that that is the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

We did, and yet we still all caught colds/flu because other people would get on buses/trains knowing they were sick, they would then cough their guts up for the whole journey infecting anyone they ame into contact with.

What's "dangerous" about me making the conscious decision to try protect myself from inconsiderate people?

Ye we caught a cold once a year and got over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,450 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

it's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that these will become the norm, and its kind of scary that so many of you keep trotting out this line.

And yet here we are, over a full year later and you cant tell when I will allowed to get a haircut or meet my friends.

It was supposed to be 2 weeks to flatten the curve, not 52. If 2 can turn into 52 so easily then what else is possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The point is that in Switzerland they are saying that the plan is to lift all measures. So a person in Switzerland has public statements to back up their belief that lie will go back to normal. There is nothing to back up that belief in Ireland. I'm not saying that all measures will definitely be lifted in Switzerland by summer, but that is the intention, and it has been stated publicly that that is the intention.

It’s the intention in the uk to drop all restrictions in June too. They’re also not ruling down lockdown - because they can’t.

Herd immunity will make the question more simple and going through a winter without restrictions would be the test. I don’t know what you want me to say. Until we have herd immunity (nobody has yet) then we can’t even make educated or optimistic guesses as the uk has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Ye we caught a cold once a year and got over it

Yup, and felt like **** for a week, passed it on to family/friends etc. I'd rather not get it, feel free to be covered in other people's germs if that's what floats your boat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

No. I mean why do you think the gov want to make these restrictions permanent?

What do they have to gain?

Power and Control. Its no accident that these restrictions reek of Communism

Govt controlled economy ["You're business isn't essential. Shut it down until we say otherwise.", "You're not an essential worker. Stay home until we say otherwise"]

Controlling where we can go, who we can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Hospital cases close to dipping below 300 for the first time since before Christmas. Critical cases heading to the level where Varadkar said things would start opening up. Those figures are all that matter. Forget the hundreds of cases a day. They are obviously not serious, just mild or asymptomatic. The vaccination of the elderly and vulnerable is not far from complete. There is no excuse not to open up. The only thing I would keep is the quarantine of people incoming. Basically we should go Australian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

RGS wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/government-air-shocking-grim-tv-23805165

I will accept this is from the Irish mirror, so caution is needed.

I see the fear and scare mongering is been built up just before the announcement on restrictions.

As usual the messaging is always on the negatives.

I now really do believe the government dont want to ease restrictions.

They know they're losing more and more people everyday so they're desperately trying to scare people back to the plantation.

The only people who will fall for this are the one already clutching their pearls and wetting their beds over this. Everybody will change the channel because they're ready to get on with life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

January - almost 2,000 in ICU = level 5 lockdown.

Today - 66 in ICU = level 5 lockdown.

Ease restrictions? Nooooo.. All about case numbers now.

Lundstram wrote: »

And most of them cases are asymptomatic. Daily cases should not be reported anymore. Hospital numbers and deaths from covid should be reported daily.

The longer this nonsense drags on the longer the after-affects will be.
    We're not going to get to zero Covid or to complete herd immunity anytime soon. So. ****ing. What? The virus is endemic but will just be another illness once those who need vaccines have them. Meanwhile waiting lists for everything (which were already at ludicrous lengths) have shot up. I've experience with waiting for "elective" (because it's not important to choose to be able to breathe through your nose :P ) procedures in the public system and it was not fit for purpose.
    We're missing cancers, heart disease, diabetic and blood clinics aren't running as they were before. People will be waiting an extra couple of years to get knees and hips sorted, likely losing more healthy life expectancy than most of the people dying from Covid (median age of death is above normal life expectancy).

The amount of money it will already cost just to get back to the disgraceful level we were at before all this will be massive. In a few years we'll get back to what was previously considered an unacceptable level and there'll be back-slapping about what a great job's been done.

And most of them cases are asymptomatic. Daily cases should not be reported anymore. Hospital numbers and deaths from covid should be reported daily.

Even Ray Charles could see through the case numbers. Leo can also stop being belligerent about "deadly" variants, about time to liberate us or hit the high road jackeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Yup, and felt like **** for a week, passed it on to family/friends etc. I'd rather not get it, feel free to be covered in other people's germs if that's what floats your boat though.

Love being covered in other people's germs

I believe over half of those 66 in ICU are in Dublin hospitals so that means there's about 4 million people in 25 counties on full lockdown for the sake of about 30 ICU beds.

Insanity.

I reckon we will be at level 2 or 3 for June.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's reasonable to compare Ireland with its closest neighbour.

I'm not asking for a time machine. I'm asking for a statement or a pronouncement. Or a roadmap. I agree with you when you say 'why the feck wouldn't they be scrapped', but it would put a lot of people's minds at ease if there was evidence that they will be scrapped.

Is it? They're a country of approx 70 million. We've approx 5 million. They're not part of the EU etc etc. We are.

I can't give you a definitive "statement or a pronouncement". No one can because that's the future. Someone might take a guess or reasonably believe that when everyone's vaccinated and the virus managdd by annual vaccinatios - things will simply go back to what they were - but that's as about as good as it gets. You're effectively asking people to speculate and using media stories on what some other people allegedly said in another country to hang your hat on.

Real life doesn't work like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Proof, if ever it were needed, that lockdowns are effective!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Scotty # wrote: »

For a short time before we reach the point of diminishing returns, which we have right now.

I believe over half of those 66 in ICU are in Dublin hospitals so that means there's about 4 million people in 25 counties on full lockdown for the sake of about 30 ICU beds.

Insanity.

Well the assumptions there are a bit insane to be sure.

Good news it looks like increasing vaccinations and / or restrictions maybe helping reduce hospital numbers ie people who might of gotten sick and been hospitalisdd are now being vaccinated.

But its not just about todays hospital numbers - there's also other factors such as new case numbers which act as a predictor of hospitalisations going forward. Especially considering that approx 75% of those with covid in hospital atm have no underlying conditions

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40237760.html

And the problem with the current case numbers is that they are remaining stubbornly high.

53bpz0.jpg

Why are case numbers staying high? - I don't have an answer for that. Other than we've a huge number yet to be vaccinated and the UK varient is highly transmissible.

And thats the thing with this virus - its not a straight line.

Good man, Scotty, so in one post you’re saying lockdown is working then your buddy a few minutes later posts referring to the high case numbers which show lockdown is not working.

I’d laugh at ye if you weren’t so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Or a respiratory virus following the natural curve of most other respiratory viruses - massive numbers in mid winter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Typo there I'm afraid.

We never had 2000 in ICU.
    In hospital maybe, but not intensive care.
    We only have 550 icu beds iirc.

Good man, Scotty, so in one post you’re saying lockdown is working then your buddy a few minutes later posts referring to the high case numbers which show lockdown is not working.

I didn't refer to high case numbers. I referred to rising case numbers. There's a massive difference and this is a huge part of the problem - many of the people calling for the end to lockdowns and restriction simply don't understand them and what they're for. Luckily for them, we have well paid professionals in place to manage it.

Nope and incorrect. Read that again. Restrictions / vaccinatiins do seem to be working with regard to hospital numbers in the here and now.

However there's the problem that new case numbers are still high. Does that mean Restrictions / lockdown are "not working"? No it doesn't. Because because its evident that those case numbers have been brought right down to their present level - though they remain "higher" than last Decembers figures. And that's still a problem.

And that's where the increased transmissibility of the UK strain now comes into the picture.

Its not just black and white optics as you seem to oddly believe.

gary550 wrote: »
    Or a respiratory virus following the natural curve of most other respiratory viruses - massive numbers in mid winter

so why are cases rising all over Europe?

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope and incorrect. Read that again. Restrictions do seem to be working with regard to hospital numbers in the here and now.

However there's the problem that new case numbers are still high. Does that mean Restrictions / lockdown are "not working"? No it doesn't. Because because its evident that those case numbers have been brought right down to their present level - though they remain "higher" than last Decembers figures. And that's still a problem.

And that's where the increased transmissibility of the UK strain now comes into the picture.

Its not just black and white optics as you seem to oddly believe.

So you're saying restrictions are the main reason for these numbers.

Have you missed the news about the vaccines?

• Advertisement

so why are cases rising all over Europe?

Again you're missing the point. Park the condescening attitude for a moment and have a think about why case numbers are a pointless metric of this virus right now.

Go do a little research.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement