Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Lundstram wrote: »
    So you're saying restrictions are the main reason for these numbers. Have you missed the news about the vaccines?

Nope you're the one who was calling out only lockdown / restrictions and I replied to that.

But I guess you really didn't read my first comment then. No worries.

"Good news it looks like increasing vaccinations and / or restrictions maybe helping reduce hospital numbers ie people who might of gotten sick and been hospitalised are now being vaccinated"

But fgs before replying go read all of that comment this time ok ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So you're saying restrictions are the main reason for these numbers.

Have you missed the news about the vaccines?

EU countries that are now imposing/increaasing restrictions have around the same proportion of their populations vaccinated.
    Go do a little research.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Scotty # wrote: »
    so why are cases rising all over Europe?

Maybe because we are all in week 22 of our 2 week circuit breaker and we've had enough?

It’s the intention in the uk to drop all restrictions in June too. They’re also not ruling down lockdown - because they can’t.

Herd immunity will make the question more simple and going through a winter without restrictions would be the test. I don’t know what you want me to say. Until we have herd immunity (nobody has yet) then we can’t even make educated or optimistic guesses as the uk has done.

Not really. Mask-wearing and social distancing are to be reviewed in June. No guarantee either will be scrapped. In fact, it is increasingly being suggested and hinted at that those, low level, according to Dr Mary Ramsay, restrictions will be kept in place. I would say that they are very high level restrictions.

I don't want you to say anything. What is required is for NPHET or the Government, like the Health Minister of Switzerland Virginie Masserey, head of the infection control section at the Federal Office of Public Health in Switzerland, to say that the intention is for all measures to be scrapped on such and such a date, or in such and such a period. The lowest level in the plan, i.e. level 1, is still heavily restricted.

But the big difference in Switzerland is that there is opposition to Government power: https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/15/switss-to-vote-in-referendum-on-government-s-covid-19-measures

"Swiss campaigners have triggered a referendum on ending the government's COVID-19 restrictions.

The association Freunden der Verfassung (Friends of the Constitution) has filed a petition to the Federal Chancellery with 90,000 signatures.

Swiss law means any petition that is backed by more than 50,000 people will go to a national referendum.

The association has argued the government's legislation, passed by parliament in September 2020, is "dangerous, unethical, and unnecessary"."

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Scotty # wrote: »
    so why are cases rising all over Europe?

I'm not sure if you noticed but case numbers have only been going one way for nearly a whole year now

My point was it was hardly a revelation that case numbers were bound to be at their highest in winter

Out of curiosity have any of the pro lockdown posters in this thread actually tested positive?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Is it? They're a country of approx 70 million. We've approx 5 million. They're not part of the EU etc etc. We are.

I can't give you a definitive "statement or a pronouncement". No one can because that's the future. Someone might take a guess or reasonably believe that when everyone's vaccinated and the virus managdd by annual vaccinatios - things will simply go back to what they were - but that's as about as good as it gets. You're effectively asking people to speculate and using media stories on what some other people allegedly said in another country to hang your hat on.

Real life doesn't work like that

In Switzerland the Government has said when they hope, and intend to, lift all restrictions. No talk of 'a semblance of normality' or 'a degree of normality' as in Ireland.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't speculate as to when restrictions will be lifted. I'm saying that a person in Switzerland can be more confident in speculating as to when normal life will resume because of what the Minister for Health and Virginie Masserey, head of the infection control section at the Federal Office of Public Health, have said.

But it's not just Switzerland. We can look at Russia as well: https://www.rt.com/russia/514381-face-masks-ban-possible-lift/

"As more people develop antibodies to Covid-19, Russia has begun relaxing pandemic restrictions. Now, as experts say that the number of cases are unlikely to fall to zero, the country is contemplating a return to near normality.
    In comments to Radio Sputnik on Tuesday, immunologist Vladislav Zhemchugov said that the end was in sight for the wearing of face masks in public places. “It is already possible to take off masks on the street,” he argued, “on walks, in nature, there is little chance of infection.”

In future, he claimed, “it will be possible to completely get rid of masks when we have a layer of immunity in society approaching 60 percent in any one particular region. This will probably begin with Moscow, because there, I think, is closest to this figure.” In November, the Mayor of the Russian capital Sergey Sobyanin said that around 50 percent of those living in the city appeared to have immunity to Covid-19."

Yes, I know a lot people don't like RT, but the article includes quotes.

gary550 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you noticed but case numbers have only been going one way for nearly a whole year now

Daily / Weekly / Monthly case numbers haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Graham wrote: »
    EU countries that are now imposing/increaasing restrictions have around the same proportion of their populations vaccinated.

"now imposing/increasing restrcitions"

Funny that because Ireland has been on full lockdown for over 3 months now and some EU countries are only reaching our level of strcitness in the last few weeks. Regions in certain countries are experiencing this, the WHOLE of Ireland has been on full lockdown for 3 months.

Arguements for Dublin being on a level 5 (weak ones) could be made but no way in hell should the rest of the country be subjected to this level.

A lot of these "well-paid professionals" as Scotty calls them think life doesn't exist beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Not really. Mask-wearing and social distancing are to be reviewed in June. No guarantee either will be scrapped.

Screw that. Once I'm fully vaccinated I'm binning the masks.

Time to force normality to return.

"now imposing/increasing restrcitions"

Funny that because Ireland has been on full lockdown for over 3 months now and some EU countries are only reaching our level of strcitness in the last few weeks

You think that might be why our case numbers aren't shooting up now while they are in other EU countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In Switzerland the Government has said when they hope, and intend to, lift all restrictions. No talk of 'a semblance of normality' or 'a degree of normality' as in Ireland.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't speculate as to when restrictions will be lifted. I'm saying that a person in Switzerland can be more confident in speculating as to when normal life will resume because of what the Minister for Health and Virginie Masserey, head of the infection control section at the Federal Office of Public Health, have said.

But it's not just Switzerland. We can look at Russia as well: https://www.rt.com/russia/514381-face-masks-ban-possible-lift/

"As more people develop antibodies to Covid-19, Russia has begun relaxing pandemic restrictions. Now, as experts say that the number of cases are unlikely to fall to zero, the country is contemplating a return to near normality.
    In comments to Radio Sputnik on Tuesday, immunologist Vladislav Zhemchugov said that the end was in sight for the wearing of face masks in public places. “It is already possible to take off masks on the street,” he argued, “on walks, in nature, there is little chance of infection.”

In future, he claimed, “it will be possible to completely get rid of masks when we have a layer of immunity in society approaching 60 percent in any one particular region. This will probably begin with Moscow, because there, I think, is closest to this figure.” In November, the Mayor of the Russian capital Sergey Sobyanin said that around 50 percent of those living in the city appeared to have immunity to Covid-19."

Yes, I know a lot people don't like RT, but the article includes quotes.

Yeah guess Switzerland must have that crystal ball which went missing a while back

But JC you're digging deep there.

There's all kind of opinions out there - we can take it that when vaccinations have been rolled out well be in a hell of a better place.

Graham wrote: »
    You think that might be why our case numbers aren't shooting up now while they are in other EU countries?

Lockdown to keep case numbers low? Again a useless metric with most vulnerable vaccinated.

ICU numbers on the floor. Sure wasn't that the point of lockdown? Stop our health service from being everwhelmed?

The narrative changes every day to suit you, Graham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Lockdown to keep case numbers low? Again a useless metric with most vulnerable vaccinated.

ICU numbers on the floor. Sure wasn't that the point of lockdown? Stop our health service from being everwhelmed?

The narrative changes every day to suit you, Graham.

His posts are morally and constitutionally repugnant - as are all restrictions and pseudo-laws.

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah guess Switzerland must have that crystal ball which went missing a while back

But JC you're digging deep there.

There's all kind of opinions out there - we can take it that when vaccinations have been rolled out well be in a hell of a better place.

Would you agree that it would be a big boost for morale if a statement was made regarding the lifting of all measures? Not a statement about 'a degree of normality', or 'a semblance of normality', a statement about all restrictions being lifted. The worry is that the 'semblance of normality' is the missing level 0 and that that level includes mask-wearing and social distancing.

The Government wouldn't even have to stick to the timeline. Just a public pronouncement about the lifting of all restrictions.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    His posts are morally and constitutionally repugnant - as are all restrictions and pseudo-laws.

Loves comparing case numbers against other EU states but comparing length and strictness of lockdowns against other EU states must not be discussed.

Hypocritical nonsense to suit his agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Risteard81 wrote: »

There's a number of posters on this and other threads who seemingly sit on here all day every day regurgitating the same pro-lockdown position, whilst ignoring any evidence or logic pointing to the contrary. It's very strange.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Screw that. Once I'm fully vaccinated I'm binning the masks.

Time to force normality to return.

But if there are 'mask required' signs everywhere (in shops, banks, on public transport etc) then going maskless wouldn't really be an option. Okay, public transport can be avoided by walking, driving, or cycling, but the others can't be avoided.

There's no level 0 in the Government plan. That's the problem. Level 1 is heavily restricted.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

The masks and SD are a massive pain in the hole and a barrier to intimacy

However they cost the Exchequer nothing so will probably stick around

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Tredstone. wrote: »

Anyone who wants masks and social distancing once we are vaccinated is a weirdo end of!

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

Anyone who wants masks and social distancing once we are vaccinated is a weirdo end of!

Depends what we're told to do

Variants and all that don't you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Stadium about 1/4ish full in Amsterdam for the Holland v Latvia World Cup qualifier.

Fans not wearing masks and skulling pints like its mothers milk.

Oh yes the end is nigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

11521323 wrote: »
    There's a number of posters on this and other threads who seemingly sit on here all day every day regurgitating the same pro-lockdown position, whilst ignoring any evidence or logic pointing to the contrary. It's very strange.

There's also a number of posters on this and other threads who seemingly sit on here all day every day regurgitating the same pro-lockdown position, whilst ignoring any evidence or logic pointing to the contrary. Some of them talk about satan and the constitution and Padraig Pearse. It's very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

By the 1st August hopefully vaccines will reach critical mass.

I fear you may be right. The heavily restricted level 1 appears to be the 'semblance of normality' that's being talked about.

One thing's for sure: there won't be any opposition in the media or in Dáil Éireann.

strictness of lockdowns against other EU states must not be discussed.

I must have missed that post. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

By the 1st August hopefully vaccines will reach critical mass.

We have to have a mass for the vaccines now ffs?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

How do they cost the exchequer nothing? Capacity restrictions because of social distancing have made concerts, sporting events, conferences and other large events completely uneconomical/unviable to hold. Other areas like transportation, weddings and hospitality are also seriously impacted by capacity reductions.

Social distancing as a long-term measure would mean the events industry would be completely wiped out. There is no chance the majority of the population would stand for that. Particularly as they see large events resuming this summer throughout the EU, UK and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Loves comparing case numbers against other EU states but comparing length and strictness of lockdowns against other EU states must not be discussed.

Hypocritical nonsense to suit his agenda.

The government defence force never backs down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Probably makes sense if you're sick with a cold, the flu or whatever. Don't want to needlessly spread it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

VonLuck wrote: »
    Probably makes sense if you're sick with a cold, the flu or whatever. Don't want to needlessly spread it around.

It really doesn't make sense. Never in the history of mankind has it made sense. Never shall it make sense. Here endeth the lesson.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement