Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Yes, I read about that the other day. But we were told that all of this was temporary and to suggest otherwise was 'tin foil hat stuff'.

VG31 wrote: »
    How do they cost the exchequer nothing? Capacity restrictions because of social distancing have made concerts, sporting events, conferences and other large events completely uneconomical/unviable to hold. Other areas like transportation, weddings and hospitality are also seriously impacted by capacity reductions.

Social distancing as a long-term measure would mean the events industry would be completely wiped out. There is no chance the majority of the population would stand for that. Particularly as they see large events resuming this summer throughout the EU, UK and US.

I agree, but how would people express that they don't stand for it? There's no opposition. There's no avenue open to people to express their opposition to the covid measures. People can say that people won't accept certain things (the evidence of the past year suggests otherwise, however) but there's nothing to back that up. Similar to the scrapping of all restrictions. Logically if the country reaches herd immunity then all restrictions should go, but in the absence of a statement from the Government or from NPHET regarding the lifting of all restrictions, there's nothing to back up the belief that restrictions will be lifted. Ireland is unique in the West for having zero opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Yes, I read about that the other day. But we were told that all of this was temporary and to suggest otherwise was 'tin foil hat stuff'.

Temporary would be a 1 year contract. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

VG31 wrote: »
    How do they cost the exchequer nothing? Capacity restrictions because of social distancing have made concerts, sporting events, conferences and other large events completely uneconomical/unviable to hold. Other areas like transportation, weddings and hospitality are also seriously impacted by capacity reductions.

Social distancing as a long-term measure would mean the events industry would be completely wiped out. There is no chance the majority of the population would stand for that. Particularly as they see large events resuming this summer throughout the EU, UK and US.

The GAA will want Croke Park full for All-Ireland Sunday again at some point. That's why i'm amazed they haven't been demanding an end to this yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It really doesn't make sense. Never in the history of mankind has it made sense. Never shall it make sense. Here endeth the lesson.

Well that's certainly not true. If people want to wear a mask so that they don't spread any germs to anyone, fair play to them. I don't think you can judge them negatively for that.

Temporary would be a 1 year contract. No?

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. We were told that all of this was temporary and that to suggest otherwise was to 'tin foil hat stuff'. But now the 'tin foil hat stuff' doesn't look so 'tin foil'.

Did you see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gAETIoomY

Johnson casually lets slip that the test kits will be used in schools for years. Years is a very long temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

VonLuck wrote: »
    Well that's certainly not true. If people want to wear a mask so that they don't spread any germs to anyone, fair play to them. I don't think you can judge them negatively for that.
    I have every right to judge them whatever way I wish. My point wasn't about judgement, however, but about pretending that it is a good, noble or sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The longer this nonsense drags on the longer the after-affects will be.
    We're not going to get to zero Covid or to complete herd immunity anytime soon. So. ****ing. What?....

You ask “so what?” As if you don’t know what herd immunity means for us. Herd immunity will mean (barring some massive disaster) we can probably go back to normal life without need for restrictions or lockdowns.

You’re suggesting that’s not a big deal, but i think it is a big deal.

Is there an official or public statement to back up 'The lockdown is coming to end in the summer'? Or is it just what you believe will happen?

Just what I think will happen. I think we will come out of lockdown over the summer. Are you serious suggesting we might stay in lockdown throughout summer?

What do you think will happen.

• Advertisement

Just what I think will happen. I think we will come out of lockdown over the summer. Are you serious suggesting we might stay in lockdown throughout summer?

What do you think will happen.

I guess it depends what you mean by lockdown. Level 1 is out of lockdown, but is still heavily restricted. I'm talking more about complete normality. The absent level 0.

Would you feel more confident about all measures being lifted if you were in Switzerland, in the light of the public statements made, or in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I have every right to judge them whatever way I wish. My point wasn't about judgement, however, but about pretending that it is a good, noble or sensible thing to do.

Sorry, I should have said that I don't think any reasonable person could judge someone for doing a selfless act that has no negative bearing on anyone else.

Who's pretending that it's good, noble or sensible? It's not me anyways.

Not really. Mask-wearing and social distancing are to be reviewed in June. No guarantee either will be scrapped. In fact, it is increasingly being suggested and hinted at that those, low level, according to Dr Mary Ramsay, restrictions will be kept in place. I would say that they are very high level restrictions.
    The uk government plan is as follows
    “ Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:

It is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed.
    We hope to reopen nightclubs, and lift restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3.
    This will also guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.”

So they plan to drop social distancing in June. All part of the plan are subject to non-specified criteria. It’s not a guarantee but it’s evidence.

I think the uk is being very optimistic and chancing it’s arm which is exactly what it has done all along. People really want to believe it because it’s such good news but only time will tell if it will happen or not. I’d be surprised if it isn’t extended beyond June 21 but, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I think the uk is being very optimistic and chancing it’s arm which is exactly what it has done all along. People really want to believe it because it’s such good news but only time will tell if it will happen or not. I’d be surprised if it isn’t extended beyond June 21 but, who knows?

Why do you believe this? They will have a critical mass vaccinated by June. Their numbers make for fantastic reading at the moment in comparison to where they were and also will get considerably better over the next 3 months.

Why do you think it will be extended?

The uk government plan is as follows
    “ Step 4, no earlier than 21 June:

It is hoped all legal limits on social contact can be removed.
    We hope to reopen nightclubs, and lift restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3.
    This will also guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.”

So they plan to drop social distancing in June. All part of the plan are subject to non-specified criteria. It’s not a guarantee but it’s evidence.

Yes, it's evidence, but not a guarantee. I wonder why social distancing is set to be included in the review on masks and other measures if it's to be scrapped.

The fact that the Coronavirus Act has been extended until September suggests that another lockdown is a possibility.

I guess it depends what you mean by lockdown. Level 1 is out of lockdown, but is still heavily restricted. I'm talking more about complete normality. The absent level 0.

Would you feel more confident about all measures being lifted if you were in Switzerland, in the light of the public statements made, or in Ireland?

I’m using the completely normal meaning of “lockdown” and “restrictions”, like the absolutely normal meaning. So read the statement with that in mind.

I don’t have a clue about the Swiss Government. Couldn’t comment. I’ve been paying attention to the Irish and UK governments. I know not to believe the UK government just because they say something. They’ve been insensibly optimistic at every step of the covid process. See their handling of schools as and example.

They have been very successful at securing vaccines though so they might get away with the June end to SD but I’d be surprised if we can get away with a winter without SD until we have herd immunity.

I’m using the completely normal meaning of “lockdown” and “restrictions”, like the absolutely normal meaning. So read the statement with that in mind.

I don’t have a clue about the Swiss Government. Couldn’t comment. I’ve been paying attention to the Irish and UK governments. I know not to believe the UK government just because they say something. They’ve been insensibly optimistic at every step of the covid process. See their handling of schools as and example.

They have been very successful at securing vaccines though so they might get away with the June end to SD but I’d be surprised if we can get away with a winter without SD until we have herd immunity.

Sorry, maybe it's more what I mean by lockdown. For me level 1 is similar to lockdown like conditions. I consider restrictions to be lockdown conditions, but not a lockdown. If places are open then they're clearly not locked down. It would be reassuring if there was a level 0 in that plan. I read about level 1 earlier today and I think the maximum number of people allowed at a football match is 500 or 1,000. So that would rule out Croke Park.

Yes, it's evidence, but not a guarantee. I wonder why social distancing is set to be included in the review on masks and other measures if it's to be scrapped.

The fact that the Coronavirus Act has been extended until September suggests that another lockdown is a possibility.

They’ve already said further lockdowns can’t be ruled out. I’d say good evidence that lockdowns are possible was when they were asked “can you rule out further lockdowns” and they replied “no”.

Of course lockdowns are possible. Only a fool would suggest there couldn’t be more lockdowns. Without herd immunity next winter, we will quite possibly have restrictions. Lockdowns are much less likely but not impossible.

Sorry, maybe it's more what I mean by lockdown. For me level 1 is similar to lockdown like conditions. I consider restrictions to be lockdown conditions, but not a lockdown. If places are open then they're clearly not locked down. It would be reassuring if there was a level 0 in that plan. I read about level 1 earlier today and I think the maximum number of people allowed at a football match is 500 or 1,000. So that would rule out Croke Park.

Ah yeah but in reality level 1 isn’t like level 5. You’re conflating lockdown and restrictions. That’s not sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Ah yeah but in reality level 1 isn’t like level 5. You’re conflating lockdown and restrictions. That’s not sensible.
    It's very sensible. "Lockdown" isn't a real concept in law anyway - it's more makey-uppey crap like all the Treasonous and totalitarian stuff done in the name of "COVID".

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    Why do you believe this? They will have a critical mass vaccinated by June. Their numbers make for fantastic reading at the moment in comparison to where they were and also will get considerably better over the next 3 months.

Why do you think it will be extended?

What exactly is critical mass and what’s the difference between critical mass and herd immunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Until we're in a position to confidently say cases won't spike like they did at Christmas, which resulted in a jump in ICU/Hospital/Death figures, lockdowns are what we'll see. Sufficient vaccination Immunity, or a track/trace beyond our capability right now, are the only other ways back to some form of normality. So with the latter not possible, we're pretty much going to be like this until we reach immunity through vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marksetgo

Just a hunch, but I suspect the hundreds of thousands of people out of work, those struggling to pay debts and the millions of people who lost their social lives would indeed know that something was up even without reading or watching the news.

I'm one of those hundreds of thousands you refer to, I've lost 6 months pay in the last 12 months, I consider myself lucky compared to others who's lives have been decimated by government decisions

My point was if we didn't have this daily broadcasting of covid all day on the hour every hour

Would you know there is a so called deadly virus just waiting to get you as soon as you step outside your front door

It's very sensible. "Lockdown" isn't a real concept in law anyway - it's more makey-uppey crap like all the Treasonous and totalitarian stuff done in the name of "COVID".

Yeah but the poster is using the term lockdown to mean restrictions. That’s not sensible as they’re understood to have different practical meanings. Right now we’re in lockdown, if the only restrictions remaining were a limit on mass gatherings and masks, then we wouldn’t be in lockdown but we would have restrictions.

Pretending the two things are the same not sensible. You’re free to do it but people won’t generally know what you’re talking about.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Until we're in a position to confidently say cases won't spike like they did at Christmas, which resulted in a jump in ICU/Hospital/Death figures, lockdowns are what we'll see. Sufficient vaccination Immunity, or a track/trace beyond our capability right now, are the only other ways back to some form of normality. So with the latter not possible, we're pretty much going to be like this until we reach immunity through vaccination.

What is 'some form of normality' for you? Does it include mask=wearing and social distancing?

Why do you put Covid in quotations, out of curiosity?

Lundstram wrote: »
    Can you answer my post. You're on here posting garbage predictions every day with zero evidence. Don't keep replying with questions when your challenged on your baseless assumptions.

You're clearly deflecting so you won't actually have to explain your nonsensical posts.

What’s your question?

If you’re asking why I think the uk restrictions will be extended, the answer was in the post you quoted “ I think the uk is being very optimistic and chancing it’s arm which is exactly what it has done all along. People really want to believe it because it’s such good news but only time will tell if it will happen or not. I’d be surprised if it isn’t extended beyond June 21 but, who knows?”

I think the uk government has been insensibly optimistic at every step in the whole covid process. See schools opening and closing as an example. I think this is probably a continuation of the same thing and people want to believe it because it’s such great news. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

What is 'some form of normality' for you? Does it include mask=wearing and social distancing?

I doubt immunity would require that but the transition to it may, how are countries at high levels of vaccination fairing out. We have real life play outs happening right now, so no need to even ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

What’s your question?

You know exacly what my question is. You were asked twice in the same post. You're fooling no one

On the ignore list you go.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the poster is using the term lockdown to mean restrictions. That’s not sensible as they’re understood to have different practical meanings. Right now we’re in lockdown, if the only restrictions remaining were a limit on mass gatherings and masks, then we wouldn’t be in lockdown but we would have restrictions.

Pretending the two things are the same not sensible. You’re free to do it but people won’t generally know what you’re talking about.

But I'm not saying they're the same. I'm saying that level 1 is heavily restricted, so much so that it has the feel of a lockdown. Because I associate restrictions with a lockdown, any remaining restrictions still means lockdown conditions. But I said that it wouldn't actually be a lockdown. But it would have the feel of a lockdown. Lockdown isn't just businesses being shut down. It's also restrictions.

And those two restrictions are huge. Mask wearing is a big problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement