Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

mightyreds wrote: »
    The green eyed monster is appearing here with all my UK friends posting competitions for entry into pubs beer gardens and free cocktails on the 12th of april.

My local has a MASSIVE beer garden, band already booked for live music too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

My local has a MASSIVE beer garden, band already booked for live music too :D

Are you in the north/UK?

Are you in the north/UK?

Cheshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Cheshire.

Ah so jealous, miss the buzz of live music even the 2 weeks we got here no music or tv noise allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

john4321 wrote: »
    Did you get vaccinated yet up there? I am concerned hyperbole is a side effect based on your posts.

I have neither need nor desire for their poison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I have neither need nor desire for their poison.

Who is "their" in this context?

Ah so jealous, miss the buzz of live music even the 2 weeks we got here no music or tv noise allowed.

They have built a huge marquee outside, an outside bar and a weatherproof stage for big screen, outdoors seats about 200 so should be a decent first weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nice to see the UK will offer excess vaccines to Ireland. Makes sense on two levels cements a relationship and you don't want a well of infection on your doorstep.
    On a personal level I like the British my wife is from London. She can actually head to NI now to get a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Because there are poisonous snakes imposing Treasonous totalitarian restrictions on the populous everywhere. Not only does this happen throughout Ireland, but has happened throughout the world. I personally trust and pray that their punishment will be swift, severe and brutal.

Mod: Risteard81, Timberrrrrrrr - don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nice to see the UK will offer excess vaccines to Ireland. Makes sense on two levels cements a relationship and you don't want a well of infection on your doorstep.
    On a personal level I like the British my wife is from London. She can actually head to NI now to get a vaccine.

Is that happening? I see Arlene Foster saying she thinks I should happen and she recommended it to Johnson, but I haven’t seen it confirmed by Downing St.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0328/1206604-coronavirus-vaccines/

It would be a massive stroke of luck if we got lots of doses in July or august. It would mean we could definitely have the adult population as vaccinated as possible before winter arrives. Maybe 80-90% of the adult population and that would be 60-68% of total population.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's been mentioned in a few places:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/uk-plans-to-offer-3-7-million-covid-19-vaccine-jabs-to-republic-report-1.4522144

There's another article somewhere that quotes the British Ambassador along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The whole thing has become a joke in Ireland at this stage.

Elderly and vulnerable people being overlooked and forgotten about when it comes to our painfully slow vaccine roll out.

The only country in the world that tried to shut construction. Instead of building houses, tradespeople moved onto building shebeens.

Mandatory hotel quarantine lasting about a day and a half before falling apart.

Far more serious illnesses than COVID are going undiagnosed and untreated.

Our nearest neighbours are driving on with reopening while our lot have no plan and are telling anyone that's still listening to them that we're all very naughty boys and girls.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Elderly and vulnerable people being overlooked and forgotten about when it comes to our painfully slow vaccine roll out.

You'd make a much better point if it weren't for the prioritisation of vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Graham wrote: »
    You'd make a much better point if it weren't for the prioritisation of vaccinating the elderly and vulnerable.

Did you miss what happened at the Beacon Hospital?

Did you miss what happened at the Beacon Hospital?

Those 20 doses must have set the program back by several minutes :rolleyes:

The whole thing has become a joke in Ireland at this stage.

The only country in the world that tried to shut construction. Instead of building houses, tradespeople moved onto building shebeens.

Mandatory hotel quarantine lasting about a day and a half before falling apart.

Far more serious illnesses than COVID are going undiagnosed and untreated.

Our nearest neighbours are driving on with reopening while our lot have no plan and are telling anyone that's still listening to them that we're all very naughty boys and girls.

I agree, but I wouldn't be so confident about the UK reopening:

A two year contract to continue to deliver an advertising campaign on COVID-19: https://www.find-tender.service.gov....T3mhGQKihMI340

And Johnson said a few days ago that test kits would be used in schools for years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gAETIoomY

I'm not sure what that advertising campaign is about. And the measures in schools were said to be temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Those 20 doses must have set the program back by several minutes :rolleyes:

Or saved a life or two of a vulnerable person.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Or saved a life or two of a vulnerable person.

It's not right that it happened but it hardly negates the reality that the elderly and vulnerable are being prioritised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

It's not right that it happened but it hardly negates the reality that the elderly and vulnerable are being prioritised.

That's exactly what happened. Why do you think it's a story?

Lundstram wrote: »
    That's exactly what happened. Why do you think it's a story?

You might want to read the post I was replying to. You're obviously missing the context.

• Advertisement

It's been mentioned in a few places:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/uk-plans-to-offer-3-7-million-covid-19-vaccine-jabs-to-republic-report-1.4522144

There's another article somewhere that quotes the British Ambassador along the same lines.
    That says they’re considering it, not that it’s happening.

I imagine we would be first in line to get surplus vaccines as we share a land border with the uk. We’ll have to see what happens.

I agree, but I wouldn't be so confident about the UK reopening:

A two year contract to continue to deliver an advertising campaign on COVID-19: https://www.find-tender.service.gov....T3mhGQKihMI340

And Johnson said a few days ago that test kits would be used in schools for years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0gAETIoomY

I'm not sure what that advertising campaign is about. And the measures in schools were said to be temporary.

I presume minimising outbreaks will be an important issue into the future. Identifying and isolating cases quickly before they become a big problem.

People keep saying that we’re not going to get to zero covid, but what do they think that means? It means getting on top outbreaks quickly to stop them becoming a big problem requiring widespread restrictions. Using herd immunity (or as close as we can get to herd immunity) to our advantage and encouraging the vaccine hesitant to get the fcuking vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

How many people have actually died of Covid 19? The Irish Times reported that 85% of the deaths had at least one serious underlying condition the other day. In a country like Ireland with a high standard of living the chances of you dying of just Covid has to be very close to zero.

I’d say the political class are pinching themselves at what they have been able to get away with. It seems all people are aiming at is changing the 5km rule to 10km.... what a sad state of affairs. Being able to go 10km from home is the benchmark for freedom these days, it just boggles the mind.

I don’t know where that stereotype of the fighting Irish comes from but it couldn’t be any farther than the truth.. we’ve rolled over big time.

This horror show can’t go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The green eyed monster is appearing here with all my UK friends posting competitions for entry into pubs beer gardens and free cocktails on the 12th of april.

Good. Let the Irish keep getting more and more jealous. They might eventually demand that the Country re open.

That says they’re considering it, not that it’s happening.

Yup.

Make of it what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I’m SO jealous of the UK right now. The roll out here has been a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

All these people who advocate severe lockdowns as a containment measure for a virus, when will enough be enough? You can’t eradicate it completely by hiding inside and wearing masks so where do we draw the line? Until everyone is vaccinated? What about variants? At what stage do we admit this will be endemic and just get on with things? For the sake of this virus we have destroyed pretty much all that is good about life. Job, social life, hobbies etc I’m at my wits end I’ve never felt so terrible in my life.

The longer this drags on the more ridiculous it gets. Covid is such a harmless virus I guarantee if we opened everything up tomorrow and had the vulnerable shield absolutely nothing would happen. The sky wouldn’t fall down, the hospitals wouldn’t be overflowing with bodies etc Sweden have been at it the better part of the year.

I get the sense, from talking to some people that they can hardly remember things before this. I’m only half joking when I go on about the Covidian religion. It’s like this new normal is a preferable situation for them and they would do anything to protect this prison lockdown experiment. The amount of talk you are hearing already about wearing masks and socially distancing forever even after covid becomes old news.I genuinely feel like the anomaly lab rat who isn’t doing well in the experiment.

Yup.

Make of it what you will.

I’d m make of it that it’s good that they’re considering it. And I’d presume we’ll be most likely to get some surplus as we share a land border with the UK - exactly what I said in the rest of the post you quoted.

I’d m make of it that it’s good that they’re considering it. And I’d presume we’ll be most likely to get some surplus as we share a land border with the UK - exactly what I said in the rest of the post you quoted.

That would be my thinking too.

• Advertisement

I presume minimising outbreaks will be an important issue into the future. Identifying and isolating cases quickly before they become a big problem.

People keep saying that we’re not going to get to zero covid, but what do they think that means? It means getting on top outbreaks quickly to stop them becoming a big problem requiring widespread restrictions. Using herd immunity (or as close as we can get to herd immunity) to our advantage and encouraging the vaccine hesitant to get the fcuking vaccine.

But the British people were told again and again that the vaccine meant a return to normality. Now it seems that masks and social distancing, at least if Dr Mary Ramsay of PHE gets her way, will be necessary for years to come.

And Johnson is now saying that those horrible tests will be a feature of school life for years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement