Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Because some freaks on here actually love lockdowns and get some sort of joy out of it.

I've seen people call for the army to be patrolling the streets with water canons!!!

I mean....soaking people with water during freezing temperatures will go a long way to suppressing a flu like virus!!!!

What's that saying, the beatings will continue until morale improves!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

From what I have read and heard, the vaccine lies somewhere between the measles vaccine which rarely needs to be altered and the flu vaccine which is altered annually. Very unlikely it will need to be altered this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

snowcat wrote: »
    So when did these people get infected? 80% of care home residents were vaccinated by the end of december in the UK. There should be no care home residents dying in the uk at the moment with covid. The mortality figures should be going down not up. Something is not tallying.

Care home residents have been half vaccinated for a start and how do you know that it’s these people that have died?

1.9% of the U.K. population have been half vaccinated so far, that leaves 98.1% of the population to make up the death stats.

I take it you’re not a vaccine fan from what you’re posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Anyone hoping the death rate will fall rapidly with vaccines are in for a shock surprise. It wont happen. The people who die with Covid are 90 % on the way out already. UK have been vaccinating for a month allready and there is still the same death rate. Israel no real reduction in death rate with 15% of population vacinated

I have copied the information below from Daniel Beary's Post in Lockdown Ireland Updates and Banter. Daniel produces a lot of excellent stats. But the figures are shocking:

"With deaths data for Northern Ireland for 2020 complete, excess deaths for the year (deaths as a % of previous 5 year avg) were the highest since the 1918 flu pandemic. In England & Wales 2020 excess deaths (15.7%) were comparable with 1940, the worst year of the Blitz (16.4%)."

Figures should drop. Even if the disease is precipitating rather than causing some deaths, we will still have lost many of our more vulnerable members of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Beasty wrote: »
    There is a limit. We cannot go beyond LXXXVII. It will all end before then....

:P

87? Is that some secret code for the chosen or ? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What a load of bull. If it took 3 weeks for the vaccine to kick in there would have been a hell of lot more covid infected in the vaccine trials.

Actually now that i think of it the trials would have been pointless. The trials showed a 95% reduction in infection from when the first injection was administered as compared to the placebo. Someone may confirm but i doubt they started analysis 2 or 3 weeks after the second dose

Any time I've been given a flu jab, the nurse has told me that it doesn't become fully effective for 3 weeks. I see no reason why this would be any different with a COVID vaccine. I'll trust what medical professionals say over some punter on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭snowcat

Care home residents have been half vaccinated for a start and how do you know that it’s these people that have died?

1.9% of the U.K. population have been half vaccinated so far, that leaves 98.1% of the population to make up the death stats.

I take it you’re not a vaccine fan from what you’re posting?

Im an Engineer. I ask questions. I have been vaccinated. Im certainly not anti Vax. Im not a fan of big pharma and a pill for everything. I prefer to live a healthy organic lifestyle and use pharma drugs only when necessary.

Im an Engineer. I ask questions. I have been vaccinated. Im certainly not anti Vax. Im not a fan of big pharma and a pill for everything. I prefer to live a healthy organic lifestyle and use pharma drugs only when necessary.

To be fair I haven’t seen questions just aggressive talk to most posters on the thread.

Maybe you should have waited for the Oxford/AZ vaccine then as that’s being sold at cost rather than a huge profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭snowcat

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Any time I've been given a flu jab, the nurse has told me that it doesn't become fully effective for 3 weeks. I see no reason why this would be any different with a COVID vaccine. I'll trust what medical professionals say over some punter on the Internet.

Cant comment on the flu jab. If the Covid has an immune response in victims of 4-5 days up to 12 I would assume the vaccine will evoke a similiar response from the immune system. IE Most people will have produced antibodies within 4-5 days but it may be up to 14 days in rare cases. The vaccine ultimately is only provoking the same response as the virus with less lethal consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We seem to be very slow to wheel out the vaccine.
    Hopefully we’ll all have had it by June.

I’d murder a few pints in a nice pub with a bit of atmosphere. I miss that.

• Advertisement

There will still be enough people dieing in care home that have covid at the time, that will keep Tony and nphet in a job and scare the Jesus out of people.

We seem to be very slow to wheel out the vaccine.
    Hopefully we’ll all have had it by June.

I’d murder a few pints in a nice pub with a bit of atmosphere. I miss that.

Can’t see even half of us being after having it by June, not being negative just how I see it. Likely only a million by June I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Could be variant after variant developing and thus forever lockdowns...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Could be variant after variant developing and thus forever lockdowns...

I admire your optimism!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Gerard McSorley

A mix between his John Gilligan and the judge character he played in Inside i'm dancing
    Look at that syringe work, effortless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Welcome to your new normal

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

niallo27 wrote: »
    There will still be enough people dieing in care home that have covid at the time, that will keep Tony and nphet in a job and scare the Jesus out of people.
    I really don't get this idea that Holohan is some control freak closing pubs for fun. Look at the state of the country after they were pressured into a partial opening of hospitality for a few weeks. As for keeping him in a job, him and NPHET I'd say haven't have hardly had a day off in 10 months. They'd give anything to be rid of it and the idiots they have to convince it's serious.

1st heard this in March 2020

We didn't have vaccines then.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Timistry

LordBasil wrote: »
    I think the vaccine rollout will accelerate significantly both here and across Europe in the coming months, especially when the Oxford vaccine is approved and many of the current problems have been resolved. There will be growing pressure from the media, business groups and the public to get it going much more efficiently, this has already started to happen.

If I had to guess on the timescales for re-opening of Ireland;

Mid Feb: Schools and Construction.

March: Non-Essential retail, Golf, Tennis

April: Outdoor Dining, Gyms, Larger attendance at weddings and funerals.

May: Indoor dining.

June: Wet pubs, Theatres, Bingo Halls, Cinemas. Family gatherings.

July: Non-essential foreign travel allowed without having to isolate for 2 weeks if you have been vaccinated or get negative Covid test.

August: Work from home recommendations gradually lifted. Capacity limits on public transport increases.Crowds can attend sports events outdoors but not full capacity.

September: On campus attendance for 3rd students. All staff can return to offices. Conferences and exhibitions can take place.

October/ November: Most restrictions lifted as concerts can go ahead and nightclubs open. Full attendance at sporting events.

Christmas as normal. Hopefully....

You have nailed it. My thoughts exactly

I have no idea why people think we still be in lockdown in the summer...am I missing something here? Why are we vaccinating the vulnerable, elderly and HCW in January and February which will lead to a dramatic fall in deaths? What is it all for if we don't get back to some normality?
    Also...the money is gonna run out sometime!

You're on to something there horse, once the key demographics are vaccinated the economic imperative takes over and excuses run out. You can be sure most people will be fit to be tied by March, after the numbers fall off a lockdown cannot be sustainable. Whether Holohan likes it or not. His dour outlook and abstinence agenda will fall on deaf ears, human nature winning out. Before he shuffles off the stage proper, being held to account for a certain scandal and raked over the hot coals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Welcome to your new normal

Why? We have a fantastic researchers working hard and I trust them.

We didn't have vaccines then.

We don’t have vaccines now, not 10 million doses of it.

The point being, as per the March comment is that normal is still a LONG way off.

You're on to something there horse, once the key demographics are vaccinated the economic imperative takes over and excuses run out. You can be sure most people will be fit to be tied by March, after the numbers fall off a lockdown cannot be sustainable. Whether Holohan likes it or not. His dour outlook and abstinence agenda will fall on deaf ears, human nature winning out. Before he shuffles off the stage proper, being held to account for a certain scandal and raked over the hot coals.

So you’re saying they’ll be a mass revolt against restrictions if we’re not allowed to do what we want again.....by March?

We don’t have vaccines now, not 10 million doses or it.

The point being, as per the March comment is that normal is still a LONG way off.

We have vaccines now. Astra Zeneca and Moderna will arrive. Maybe Johnson & Johnson as well. Delivery will ramp up. 3 million of our most vulnerable will be vaccinated and then watch the hospital figures fall.

I'm not an epidemiologist or virologist but that is the stance I choose to take. Others may take a different one. The truth is that we don't actually know.

We have vaccines now. Astra Zeneca and Moderna will arrive. Maybe Johnson & Johnson as well. Delivery will ramp up. 3 million of our most vulnerable will be vaccinated and then watch the hospital figures fall.

We’ve enough vaccines for 70 odd thousand people NOW!

As I said, we were taking about when it will be normal again, and that won’t be in a few months just because we’ve got enough vaccines for 1.5% of the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The vaccines will be a very quick game changer, the economy will get going again. Hospitality will be back open Easter and these wet pubs as they call them for the summer. The misery and depression is putrid here.
    Is it long term corona recipients that are mainly posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

It'll all end for the elderly by the summer, they'll be skulling pints, going to festivals and going at it like rabbits, all while pointing and laughing hysterically at the healthy young and middle aged.

Cerveza wrote: »
    The vaccines will be a very quick game changer, the economy will get going again. Hospitality will be back open Easter and these wet pubs as they call them for the summer. The misery and depression is putrid here.
    Is it long term corona recipients that are mainly posting here?

And your basis for these timing are what exactly?

You’re view that people being a bit realistic are PUP recipients and inferring they’re happy to be doing so is just offensive! Back up your timings or admit you’re just making it up.
    And no, I’ve worked full time as normal throughout, before you throw that at me!

These are the only FACTS we’ve had so far:

About 40,000 doses a week of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine will be administered to priority groups in January and February, after which volumes will scaled up, according to a Health Service Executive briefing on the programme.

• Advertisement

We’ve enough vaccines for 70 odd thousand people NOW!

As I said, we were taking about when it will be normal again, and that won’t be in a few months just because we’ve got enough vaccines for 1.5% of the population.

Let us wait and see how the rest of the year unfolds :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement