Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

john4321 wrote: »
    What difference does it make to you even if they were wearing 10? Do you comment if you see someone 2 tee-shirts or a second jumper?

It's wasteful? Bad for the environment? Denies other people a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's wasteful? Bad for the environment? Denies other people a mask?

I don’t think there are mask shortages, so I guess nobody would be denied ... I’ve bought some online, also in supermarkets and had been gifted handmade ones £7.00 for a box of 50 online of the disposable ... girl in residence association who makes handmade rewash-able is doing them free, she just researched and found the way to make them properly. She is a fashion designer by trade.. had a shît load of material and went at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They're just a virtue signalling tool at this stage. "Look how I'M trying to keep YOU safe. Aren't I great?"

This is part of the reason why I expect people to still wear them even after we're told we don't have to wear them anymore.

The CDC studies have shown that wearing a cloth mask in conjunction with a disposable medical mask increase your protection by 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Parachutes wrote: »
    All these people who advocate severe lockdowns as a containment measure for a virus, when will enough be enough? You can’t eradicate it completely by hiding inside and wearing masks so where do we draw the line? Until everyone is vaccinated? What about variants? At what stage do we admit this will be endemic and just get on with things? For the sake of this virus we have destroyed pretty much all that is good about life. Job, social life, hobbies etc I’m at my wits end I’ve never felt so terrible in my life.

The longer this drags on the more ridiculous it gets. Covid is such a harmless virus I guarantee if we opened everything up tomorrow and had the vulnerable shield absolutely nothing would happen. The sky wouldn’t fall down, the hospitals wouldn’t be overflowing with bodies etc Sweden have been at it the better part of the year.

I get the sense, from talking to some people that they can hardly remember things before this. I’m only half joking when I go on about the Covidian religion. It’s like this new normal is a preferable situation for them and they would do anything to protect this prison lockdown experiment. The amount of talk you are hearing already about wearing masks and socially distancing forever even after covid becomes old news.I genuinely feel like the anomaly lab rat who isn’t doing well in the experiment.

You sound like someone whose not known anyone who has died from the virus. Or friends who have extended symptoms - long covid - from this "harmless virus".

Lockdowns/restrictions should be evidence based, and updated as the evidence or situation changes. The problem is that too many people are not adhering the restrictions, and that is plain to see. If people stayed home for the first 3 weeks of the first lockdown a year ago, the virus would be effectively eliminated.

And I will not place the blame solely on people. Governments have acted poorly too. It took more than a year for a quarantine hotel to be set up and just days for it to be broken out from. It should have been in planning from January 2020 and enacted from March. From what I hear, track and trace has broken down in many countries.

Vaccine rollout has been slow too. This should have been where we were a well oiled machine. Vaccinate front line staff, then vulnerable population fast. Train and recruit as many people as makes sense to be able to administer vaccinations. Target hotspots of infection and surround them with vaccines.

You're right, this has dragged on far longer than expected but it's the situation we are in for electing an incompetent government and generally not being the best country at obeying rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Paul Rand is a board certified doctor.
    Yes.
    But he is only certified by the board that he set up himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Scotty # wrote: »
    The CDC studies have shown that wearing a cloth mask in conjunction with a disposable medical mask increase your protection by 90%.

5 masks increase it to 120%

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    5 masks increase it to 120%

If you really want to stay safe from Covid 19 get a nosy, it's a mask that goes under your mask for when you want to take your mask off.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaktainPicard

I never said a country had a 3 mask policy, but they have leaders "advise" to wear more than one mask, look at Biden in the US always double masked, and as that screenshot from the NBC news shows they were saying 3 masks are even better.

I myself wear 11 masks as that pretty much tends to 100% protection ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Tomorrow he will say 5km remains. He understands how difficult it has been for businesses. He is concerned about variants. Cases are still high and ofcourse Europe is experiencing surge (just not our closest neighbors though...)

He ll highlight schools are opened and what a great achievement it is.

Thats about it.

With 800k vaccinated.

We ll reconvene mid May, where maybe you ll be allowed to invite 1 other household to your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaktainPicard

Do you get as frustrated when you see people wearing gloves in winter to keep their hands warm or have you saw another Info Wars article that has led you to believe masks are evil?

Yeah thats not a disingenous comparison or anything ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Tomorrow he will say 5km remains. He understands how difficult it has been for businesses. He is concerned about variants. Cases are still high and ofcourse Europe is experiencing surge (just not our closest neighbors though...)

He ll highlight schools are opened and what a great achievement it is.

Thats about it.

With 800k vaccinated.

We ll reconvene mid May, where maybe you ll be allowed to invite 1 other household to your home.

After 3 months of a lockdown this is all we can expect I doubt it. The 5km will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

according to Michael Lehane of RTE they are going to allow inter county training resume but golf and tennis may not be re opened.

Suggesting that the elite in GAA can return but golf and tennis and other outdoor non contact sports for the ordinary person are staying closed suggests all the talk about caring for the health(including mental health) of the people was just the usual political bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

After 3 months of a lockdown this is all we can expect I doubt it. The 5km will be gone.
    Will they chance 7KM.?Seriously there is a fact not being highlighted.With the new 6 week gap between "reviews" you are looking at possibly a "cautious" move to 10 k on april 5 ,20 k on may 17.county on june 28 which leaves maybe right to travel in ireland on AUGUST 3.This is fkn madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

Will they chance 7KM.?Seriously there is a fact not being highlighted.With the new 6 week gap between "reviews" you are looking at possibly a "cautious" move to 10 k on april 5 ,20 k on may 17.county on june 28 which leaves maybe right to travel in ireland on AUGUST 3.This is fkn madness

Well put. UTTER MADNESS!

What's worse, is that we as a country are putting up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

My expectation is an extension of travel for exercise to 25km, click and collect to be allowed and limited construction (housing) to recommence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Will they chance 7KM.?

They wouldn't, would they?

Anything less than 20k would be pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

With 800k vaccinated.

We've 800k vaccinated and so does the north we've also had 250k catch the virus,, that's ok, 1.8 million out of 6.8 with immunity and they're the most at risk. We also see from the walk in testing asymptomatic spread is rampant so there's a lot of underlying immunity out there. We're at herd immunity already when you add it all up.

I think we can scrap the 5km altogether and open the pubs in 4 weeks. Health system can cope, crisis averted.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

At the moment you are technically not allowed to sit by a canal and drink a coffee (have seen Gardai on both Dublin canals moving people on). If the new rules allow you to go 10km but still only for exercise, will that mean coffee (or cans) by a canal, or in a park is still prohibited? Obviously it depends on Gardai attitudes. Have seen Gardai ignoring groups of drinkers on the Royal Canal, while the public order unit fairly agressively moving on drinkers at Grand Canal Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

The problem is that too many people are not adhering the restrictions, and that is plain to see. If people stayed home for the first 3 weeks of the first lockdown a year ago, the virus would be effectively eliminated.
    Do you have any evidence to support that? And what does "effectively eliminated" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I've an awful feeling they are only going to increase it to 10km.

They know the 5km isn't been adhered to especially outside Dublin so have to be shown to not be losing touch and doing something.

We are lucky we are near two big parks in our 5km but increasing it 10km won't really benefit us at all and will do even less for people living outside Dublin.

20km would be ideal or to be able to travel in your own county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Do you have any evidence to support that? And what does "effectively eliminated" mean?

Yes. If people had no contact with each other for a few weeks, the virus would run out of hosts.

Effectively eliminated because there are (for some f'in reason) still flights coming in and an open border to the North.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Yes. If people had no contact with each other for a few weeks, the virus would run out of hosts.

Effectively eliminated because there are (for some f'in reason) still flights coming in and an open border to the North.

This is too much common sense and must stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We've 800k vaccinated and so does the north we've also had 250k catch the virus,, that's ok, 1.8 million out of 6.8 with immunity and they're the most at risk. We also see from the walk in testing asymptomatic spread is rampant so there's a lot of underlying immunity out there. We're at herd immunity already when you add it all up.

Re the bit in bold, Can I assume you’ve turned a wish into a statement of fact?

How exactly do you “add it all up” and can you show your workings?

Starter for 10, what exactly is the threshold for herd immunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

This may seem like common sense but it's anything but.

It doesn't matter what outcome hypothetical restrictions carried out in a vacuum would achieve.

What matters is if the restrictions can be adhered to in the real world, if they can't, they don't work!

Now, that's common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

In a conversation yesterday the following analogy came up, a most appropriate one!

Essentially, the government wanted to protect the economy by dealing in half-measures. The perfect example being airports.

However, not only have they not protected the economy, they also didn't get rid of the disease. Brilliant.

The analogy:
    Your house is on fire, blazing away. Fire brigade turn up and are just about to turn on the hoses when you jump in front of them. "No! You can't do that, the water might damage something". Meanwhile everything is destroyed ANYWAY.

We're a year into this bullshyt and airports are still open. Its an exemplary of why I don't trust the "vision" of any of these fools to sort this out. Its half-arsed, half-baked, wish-upon-a-vaccine, all while ignoring the very simple, easy, practical steps that could have been taken yonks ago.

Vested interests that are ultimately self-destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

NPHET meeting this morning to give recommendations to the Cabinet Covid sub committee who will give recommendations to the Cabinet.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0328/1206625-coronavirus-restrictions/

Seems likely they will ease 5km limit and allow safe construction to resume and more outdoor activity.

"The focus of the recommendations is likely to be on what can safely be done outdoors. Public health officials do not want people to visit each other's houses and they do not want people travelling to other counties, particularly where they may be travelling from counties with a high incidence of the disease to those with a low incidence."

Moving in the right direction. R number seems to be stuck at about 1. Pity we haven't get he R number going in the right direction to give NPHET less reason for caution but he we are. Will be interesting to see what comes from the meeting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Gradius wrote: »
    In a conversation yesterday the following analogy came up, a most appropriate one!

Essentially, the government wanted to protect the economy by dealing in half-measures. The perfect example being airports.

However, not only have they not protected the economy, they also didn't get rid of the disease. Brilliant.

The analogy:
    Your house is on fire, blazing away. Fire brigade turn up and are just about to turn on the hoses when you jump in front of them. "No! You can't do that, the water might damage something". Meanwhile everything is destroyed ANYWAY.

We're a year into this bullshyt and airports are still open. Its an exemplary of why I don't trust the "vision" of any of these fools to sort this out. Its half-arsed, half-baked, wish-upon-a-vaccine, all while ignoring the very simple, easy, practical steps that could have been taken yonks ago.

Vested interests that are ultimately self-destroying.

Indeed, The simple steps may not have been known inititally but surely by the end of last summer there should have been a robust plan in place to deal with monitoring/detection, surge procedure, vacc centres and general guidelines.

Plan, plan and plan again.. Really they have failed terribly.

So "effectively eliminated" = "not eliminated"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So "effectively eliminated" = "not eliminated"?

effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/

adverb: effectively
    in such a manner as to achieve a desired result.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/

adverb: effectively
    in such a manner as to achieve a desired result.
    I know what the word means. That's why I enclosed "effectively eliminate" and "not eliminated" in quotes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement