Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Tomorrow he will say 5km remains. He understands how difficult it has been for businesses. He is concerned about variants. Cases are still high and ofcourse Europe is experiencing surge (just not our closest neighbors though...)

He ll highlight schools are opened and what a great achievement it is.

Thats about it.

With 800k vaccinated.

We ll reconvene mid May, where maybe you ll be allowed to invite 1 other household to your home.

567k people received vaccines

The rest are second doses

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

Graham wrote: »
    effectively
    /ɪˈfɛktɪvli/

adverb: effectively
    in such a manner as to achieve a desired result.

Any person arriving in Ireland from another country via Northern Ireland also has to quarantine. How exactly are we monitoring or enforcing this? We're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Any person arriving in Ireland from another country via Northern Ireland also has to quarantine. How exactly are we monitoring or enforcing this? We're not.

Yah that would be impractical to ever enforce, unfortunately. Manpower would be impossible.

Do we know if they are doing token checks at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Thousands cross the border every day for work and essential journeys. They do not quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,935 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tazz T wrote: »
    Thousands cross the border every day for work and essential journeys. They do not quarantine.

Did you miss the part about "from another country"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Indeed, The simple steps may not have been known inititally but surely by the end of last summer there should have been a robust plan in place to deal with monitoring/detection, surge procedure, vacc centres and general guidelines.

Plan, plan and plan again.. Really they have failed terribly.

Its even worse when you consider that we've known for almost a year now the exact demographics that are most at risk.

Imagine if we had managed to cut the deaths of people over 65 by even 25% just by focusing right in on protecting that demographic. We would have cut the deaths for the entire country by 25% in the process.

We've known who it kills in most cases and the locations most likely to have outbreaks for a year and still are looking around in complete confusion.

Even the "essential" retail is a farce. You can pop out for a McDonald's and a coffee and maybe a donut or an ice cream but if you need a new jacket during January and February (maybe your current one was torn or lost or stolen) you can't just click and collect.

Jump on the LUAS and you'll see plenty of people not wearing masks. Go to the local convenience store and see the same. Driving on your own in your own car to drop some tools off for a family member? We can't have that now!

What's the point of even considering a lockdown when, despite months of knowledge and experience, there is no nuance whatsoever and there is only selective enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0329/1206691-coronavirus-ireland-latest/
    The Health Service Executive's National Lead for Testing and Tracing has said an increase in social interaction is leading to the rise in positive Covid-19 cases.

Niamh O'Beirne said extended family interactions are growing and the number of social settings has also increased over the last couple of weeks.

Let the next (latest) round of shaming commence ... Yes how dare humans be human ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Let the next (latest) round of shaming commence ... Yes how dare humans be human ...

:confused:

better to pretend we've no idea how the virus is spreading?

Yah that would be impractical to ever enforce, unfortunately. Manpower would be impossible.

Do we know if they are doing token checks at all?

Correct, which means the rule is bull****, so what is the point in having it.

I know people who come and go to the UK on a regular basis. They're now going via Belfast to avoid the new restrictions in Dublin. I'd imagine there are people doing the same thing, from much more exotic locations

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Graham wrote: »
    :confused:

better to pretend we've no idea how the virus is spreading?

No Graham, but no need to shame, the tone of all these articles for the last year is to make people feel guilty to justify further restrictions on our 'bad behaviour.'

We have never been shamed before for any virus transmission, people shouldn't be shamed for basic social contact, it's not like people are running up to others and coughing in their face..

• Advertisement

The only thing to look at now is vaccination numbers.......... 2m to be administered over April and May along with the guts of 1m that will have been done to the end of March.

That'll put us in a great spot for June and there surely can't be much reason not be to at level 3 at worst for June 01st.

I don't care if I need to wear a mask getting a hair cut etc etc etc tbh.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0329/1206691-coronavirus-ireland-latest/

Are you cross with covid for tending to spread through people interacting or cross with people for interacting?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

No Graham, but no need to shame, the tone of all these articles for the last year is to make people feel guilty to justify further restrictions on our 'bad behaviour.'

If people are embarrassed/ashamed of their behaviour, that's probably down to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Re the bit in bold, Can I assume you’ve turned a wish into a statement of fact?

How exactly do you “add it all up” and can you show your workings?

Starter for 10, what exactly is the threshold for herd immunity?

Population of 6.8 million people.
    1.6 million vaccinated.
    355k pcr confirmed infections.
    Average R number of 1 = close to 4 million infections out of a population of 6.8 million.

Now do you see how we could already be at herd immunity, don't think there's any holes you could point out in those calculations.

*I've allowed for us missing 1 in 3 cases, it's probably way more than that.

Population of 6.8 million people.
    1.6 million vaccinated.
    355k pcr confirmed infections.
    Average R number of 1 = close to 4 million infections out of a population of 6.8 million.

Now do you see how we could already be at herd immunity, don't think there's any holes you could point out in those calculations.

*I've allowed for us missing 1 in 3 cases, it's probably way more than that.

Depends on what the immunity rate is for herd immunity is. What is the immunity rate required for herd immunity?

I know people who come and go to the UK on a regular basis. They're now going via Belfast to avoid the new restrictions in Dublin. I'd imagine there are people doing the same thing, from much more exotic locations

No the rule is sound. The fact that it's not enforceable does not make the rule a bad rule.

We have had loads of people saying we should just allow people to assess the risks for themselves and they will behave well. So how would you say people are behaving in this instance? Are they behaving well in the absence of enforcement or are they taking the p1ss in the absence of enforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Depends on what the immunity rate is for herd immunity is. What is the immunity rate required for herd immunity?

With this i'm not so sure, if you were to believe Mr Two Masks Fauci around 60%.
    We also need to let the other coronaviruses start running wild again as they'll help keep the levels low as they're dominant strains.

With this i'm not so sure, if you were to believe Mr Two Masks Fauci around 60%.
    We also need to let the other coronaviruses start running wild again as they'll help keep the levels low as they're dominant strains.

If you don't know what the threshold for herd immunity is, then how can you assert that we have reached it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So where do we all emigrate to?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

timmyntc wrote: »

Narnia

• Advertisement

No the rule is sound. The fact that it's not enforceable does not make the rule a bad rule.

We have had loads of people saying we should just allow people to assess the risks for themselves and they will behave well. So how would you say people are behaving in this instance? Are they behaving well in the absence of enforcement or are they taking the p1ss in the absence of enforcement?

Yes it does. There is absolutely no point in announcing a rule which very obviously doesn't work, other than optics. It's like building a house with 3 walls and a really good alarm system, while hoping no one notices there's a wall missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Yes it does. It absolutely does. If you cant enforce a rule, it is totally and utterly worthless.

By your logic, the government should just make a rule whereby you can't transmit covid to anyone else. That will surely stop transmission of the virus.

Who cares if its an unenforceable rule (or un-adherable) - sure the rule is sound. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I know people who come and go to the UK on a regular basis.
    And I know lots that don't... because of the rules in place.

Yes it does. It absolutely does. If you cant enforce a rule, it is totally and utterly worthless.

By your logic, the government should just make a rule whereby you can't transmit covid to anyone else. That will surely stop transmission of the virus.

Who cares if its an unenforceable rule (or un-adherable) - sure the rule is sound. :rolleyes:

It would be remis of them to ignore the entire topic of people coming from other countries through Norther Ireland, just because they don' have the manpower to enforce it. Not sure about your analogy for making covid spread illegal, but they make drugs illegal even though they only have resources to stop a fraction of the drugs that people attempt to import. It's a good rule whether they have the manpower to enforce it or not.

What happened to people taking personal responsibility in the absence of enforcement? Every few pages there are calls to allow people to make these assessments for themselves without enforcement. Does this issue suggest that people need enforcement to make good decisions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Dalkey.

That's an interesting question. I would say certain states in America such as Florida and South Dakota could be an option. Australia and New Zealand would be good as well, I think. The only thing I'd worry about when it comes to Australia and New Zealand is the locking down of the country or parts of the country over a single case or a handful of cases. But the approach would surely change post-vaccination because locking down over a case, however short the lockdown is, is not sustainable. And I also think Russia might be an option because of the Russian avos'.

I think it's probably easier to rule out countries. I can't think of a single country in Europe that a person might consider emigrating to apart from Sweden, and possibly Norway. But ultimately it depends on the person's individual circumstances. I'm thinking solely in terms of being able to live a restriction free life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We have never been shamed before for any virus transmission, people shouldn't be shamed for basic social contact, it's not like people are running up to others and coughing in their face..

No I honestly believe that's your own conjecture. No one is deliberately being made to 'feel guilty'. Most of the reporting is simply a statement of fact. And its acknowledged that the UK B.1.1.K strain with significantly higher transmissibility is the cause of much of the present situation.

And there's no 'shame' involved in knowing and understanding the very real risks of transmission through close proximity and close contact and acknowledging that.

gozunda wrote: »
    No I honestly believe that's your own conjecture. No one is deliberately being made to 'feel guilty'. Most of the reporting is simply a statement of fact. And its acknowledged that the UK B.1.1.K strain with significantly higher transmissibility is the cause of much of the present situation.

And there's no 'shame' involved in knowing and understanding the very real risks of transmission through close proximity and close contact and acknowledging that.

It's kind of like the people who give out about fat shaming. Taking offense at telling people that the virus spreads through human interaction is like suggesting that having nutritional information on food is fat shaming.

People should have the relevant information. Getting cross at the virus for spreading through human interaction is not sensible. Neither is getting cross when you're reminded it spreads through human interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How come the UK variant isn't rampant over in the actual UK ?

Did they export it all

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How come the UK variant isn't rampant over in the actual UK ?

Did they export it all

They've had higher cases per population than us, higher deaths and so on. The are miles ahead of the world in vaccines so they can relax their rules a bit starting today. Up to 6 people in a garden from today in the UK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement