Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's really becoming a joke now. I was pro lockdown initially but it's getting ridiculous now. Our restrictions are so severe because our health system is so weak. We are all going to pay for the economic damage too.

Remember next time the government "gives" you something, it's not their money to begin with.

That's the bottom line really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Graham wrote: »
    I hope you're right, perhaps we've developed some sort of collective immunity to b117 in the last few weeks.

We'll find out over the coming weeks.

I'm not particularly optimistic tbh.

So Graham how should they handle this ?

Since "variants" will always be about - even vaccine resistant ones, so we could be back to square 1 even when population is vaccinated.

How about a learn to live with strategy like they are doing around europe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

the kelt wrote: »
    The problem is once people have a simple view of cases numbers being their bible and getting their daily fix from the overlords the idea of case numbers playing a significantly lesser role in how we assess this virus is hard to take.

You’re right though, the idea of a spike following the opening of new test centres where we actively went looking for people is significant, that and the amount of testing also.

But more importantly a year later cases are no longer the ultimate barometer for hospitalisations. Take a look at last May when we were opening up compared to last week. (Found this in another thread this morning thought it was interesting when obsessing with case numbers)

On the week leading to May 19th (13-19):
    932 positive swabs
    36818 swabs in total
    2.5% 7 days positivity rate
    786 new cases confirmed (1009 actually, but on the 14th of May 223 extra cases where added that were not notified before)
    81 deaths
    56 people in ICU (up to the 16th, it’s a pain to find historical data)
    688 people in hospital - 390 confirmed, 298 suspected
    No vaccines (of course)

This week (24-30):
    4,249 positive swabs
    125,846 swabs in total
    3.4% 7 days positivity rate
    4,065 new cases confirmed
    81 deaths
    70 people in ICU
    331 people in hospital
    ~800k vaccines

So roughly 4 times the amount of testing, roughly 4 times the amount of swabs, roughly 4 times the amount of cases and a higher positivity rate (obviously)

Yet a few more in icu but HALF the amount of people in hospitals!

The obsession with case numbers needs to stop, as you can see. We have a better understanding of the virus and vaccine yet people still obsessing like it’s March 2020.

GREAT POST!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So Graham how should they handle this ?

Since "variants" will always be about - even vaccine resistant ones, so we could be back to square 1 even when population is vaccinated.

How about a learn to live with strategy like they are doing around europe ?

Would very much depend on the nature of the variants and the resistance to the vaccines I would have thought.

If you want to frighten yourself with ghost stories about future unknown variants, knock yourself out.

At this point in time it looks like the vaccination program is going to have sufficient impact that life can start and return to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Interestingly enough last few pages discuss cases. Not a single word about whether vaccines dont work. Which they do work.

So 800,000 vaccinated already, nearly 20% of population.

But 600 cases yesterday, you know, gotta keep level 5 because Christmas.

Absolute shambles.

Israel, Russia, Georgia, Netherlands, Belarus have all had fans in their stadiums last week for WCQ. Imagine countries have 10,000 + people go to events while you cant even get a haircut. But shure, 600 cases, Christmas. D'variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Interestingly enough last few pages discuss cases. Not a single word about whether vaccines dont work. Which they do work.

Absolute shambles.

Israel, Russia, Georgia, Netherlands, Belarus have all had fans in their stadiums last week for WCQ. Imagine countries have 10,000 + people go to events while you cant even get a haircut. But shure, 600 cases, Christmas. D'variants.

They're not all fully vaccinated.

accensi0n wrote: »

Unless you want to say that first jab is useless and does nothing?

leahyl wrote: »
    They're not all fully vaccinated.

They dont need to be fully vaccinated.

UK have less than 4m people with 2nd jab. Did their deaths fall? Yes. Did their cases fall? yes. Are they reopening their economy within weeks, started this Monday? yes.

What a silly comment.

So what's the need for a 2nd jab so? You're making it sound like it gives you full protection.

What you said is incorrect - 800,000 doses have been given out, not 800,000 people fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Vaccinated means vaccinated, 2 doses for the vaccines we're currently using.

Unless you're saying we shouldn't give second doses as proposed?

They dont need to be fully vaccinated.

UK have less than 4m people with 2nd jab. Did their deaths fall? Yes. Did their cases fall? yes. Are they reopening their economy within weeks, started this Monday? yes.

What a silly comment.

Mine was a silly comment? Right back at ya.

So what's the need for a 2nd jab so? You're making it sound like it gives you full protection.

What you said is incorrect - 800,000 doses have been given out, not 800,000 people fully vaccinated.

Over 80% protection with first jab.

I never said fully vaccinated - are you just dishonest or your eyesight is not very good?

Over 60% protection with first jab.

I never said fully vaccinated - are you just dishonest or your eyesight is not very good?

You did say fully vaccinated, as that's what 'vaccinated' means.

You could have said doses administered, which you know.

Over 60% protection with first jab.

I'm dishonest? :D

So you're saying only one dose is needed then, cool, that's fine if that's your opinion. You said 20% of the population is vaccinated, so we should be opening up - implying that one dose is enough. That's fine, I just wanted to clarify that 800,000 doses being administered does not mean fully vaccinated for everyone.

(Reuters) - COVID-19 vaccines developed by Pfizer Inc with BioNTech SE and Moderna Inc reduced risk of infection by 80% two weeks or more after the first of two shots, according to data from a real-world U.S. study released on Monday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-vaccines-int-idUSKBN2BL2UW

I rest my case.

Published 12 hours ago. Instead of spending your lifetime on boards - do some research.

People are so desperate to downplay vaccines, laughable. And pathetic.

(Reuters) - COVID-19 vaccines developed by Pfizer Inc with BioNTech SE and Moderna Inc reduced risk of infection by 80% two weeks or more after the first of two shots, according to data from a real-world U.S. study released on Monday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-vaccines-int-idUSKBN2BL2UW

I rest my case.

Published 12 hours ago. Instead of spending your lifetime on boards - do some research.

Where did I disagree with you on the effectiveness of vaccines??? The pfizer and astrazeneca vaccines are 2 DOSE vaccines - yes, of course you have a level of protection after your first dose but you are NOT FULLY PROTECTED after one dose. I'm simply stating facts and once again you are twisting it around and attempting to make others look foolish and calling people out for being silly. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

That's 800k doses, a lot of those are second doses to the same people. Only 560k have received a first shot minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

the kelt wrote: »
    ~800k vaccines
    Again, you don't understand the figures. It's becoming an ever more common trend.

565K first jab, 220k OF THAT 565k on second jab, for total jabs of almost 800k. This does not equal 800k vaccinated.

Lundstram wrote: »
    “Hey, you over there with no job since March 2020, be patient, just a little longer”
    Yes, agree fully. The real reason posters like yourself don't accept any of the actual facts. No matter what facts you are faced with you'll disregard them. Thank you for finally being honest about it.

Kind of makes discussing it pointless though so I'm out.

Hopefully we'll all get back to normal as soon as possible. GL.

It's good that you're now seeing the reasoning rather than pretending it's not relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The second dose is for longevity of protection. For the purpose of planning the end to lockdowns and assessing the general populations immunity to this, first doses are what's important. Hence the UK's approach.

I can't help but think that's largely in your imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

So you're saying only one dose is needed then, cool, that's fine if that's your opinion. You said 20% of the population is vaccinated, so we should be opening up - implying that one dose is enough. That's fine, I just wanted to clarify that 800,000 doses being administered does not mean fully vaccinated for everyone.

Have you actually looked at the UK’s vaccine strategy? If you haven’t, do. Then go look at the drop in their hospitalisations and ICU numbers. Maybe that’ll change your mind. Second dose is a booster, first dose gives the vast majority of protection.

Some folk look at the UK in disdain and it hurts them to praise their strategy. I admired them long before Covid and admire them even more now. They just get the job done with no fuss.

The Irish need their hands held while holding 5,000,000 in maximum lockdown.

Suspending AZ vaccine while the UK laughed was just embarrassing as an Irish person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Scotty # wrote: »
    Again, you don't understand the figures. It's becoming an ever more common trend.

565K first jab, 220k OF THAT 565k on second jab, for total jabs of almost 800k. This does not equal 800k vaccinated.

Yes, agree fully. The real reason posters like yourself don't accept any of the actual facts. No matter what facts you are faced with you'll disregard them. Thank you for finally being honest about it.

Didnt say it was 800k vaccinated!! When your quoting facts and people not understanding things it might serve ye better to read what's actually written!

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-03-03/single-shot-of-two-dose-covid-19-vaccine-can-prevent-serious-illness-and-death

One jab dramatically reduces the likelihood of severe illness and death from Covid. End of!

Have you actually looked at the UK’s vaccine strategy? If you haven’t, do. Then go look at the drop in their hospitalisations and ICU numbers. Maybe that’ll change your mind. Second dose is a booster, first dose gives the vast majority of protection.

Some folk look at the UK in disdain and it hurts them to praise their strategy. I admired them long before Covid and admire them even more now. They just get the job done with no fuss.

The Irish need their hands held while holding 5,000,000 in maximum lockdown.

Suspending AZ vaccine while the UK laughed was just embarrassing as an Irish person.

When did we mention the UK? What have they got to do with anything? I'm not in favour of level 5 lockdown by the way; I'm just stating the fact that 800,000 people haven't been vaccinated (which means fully vaccinated), it's 800,000 doses. And now we are talking about the UK? :confused:

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-03-03/single-shot-of-two-dose-covid-19-vaccine-can-prevent-serious-illness-and-death

One jab dramatically reduces the likelihood of severe illness and death from Covid. End of!

Never said it didnt. but it still doesn't change the fact that you aren't vaccinated until you have had the 2 doses.

Scotty # wrote: »

I haven’t lost my job, though. In fact we’ve gotten busier. However, that doesn’t make me ignorant to the plight of others who are suffering serious financial hardship as a result of an overblown reaction to this virus.

I’ve no skin in the game here financially but I can see the bigger picture.

GL, Scotty.

When did we mention the UK? What have they got to do with anything? I'm not in favour of level 5 lockdown by the way; I'm just stating the fact that 800,000 people haven't been vaccinated (which means fully vaccinated), it's 800,000 doses. And now we are talking about the UK? :confused:

Graham seems intent on comparing the “surge” in Europe with us but I’m not allowed compare vaccine strategies with other nations?

Ok.

• Advertisement

Graham seems intent on comparing the “surge” in Europe with us but I’m not allowed compare vaccine strategies with other nations?

Ok.

I don't remember suggesting you couldn't compare vaccination strategies.

Perhaps you could quote that post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement