Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Graham wrote: »
    I don't remember suggesting you couldn't compare vaccination strategies.

Perhaps you could quote that post

Are you the famous Graham from the restrictions thread?

Only a matter of hours before M Martin says

"I understand how difficult it has been for the great people of this country.

We have to be cautious.

The variants.

We have got our children going back to school and that is a great achievement.

Unfortunately as can be seen on the continent there is another wave coming of this deadly disease, and levels of covid transmission in our country are still too high. We have little choice but to extend the lockdown until 5th of May where we hope to see the hospitality start to reopen, and some sort of normality returning."

I write scripts for him. Funny thing is a lot of people eat up above garbage... and disappointing. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Worth recalling that according to Oxford we've had the strictest lockdown regulations in Europe over the last year.

On paper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lundstram wrote: »
    Graham seems intent on comparing the “surge” in Europe with us but I’m not allowed compare vaccine strategies with other nations?

Ok.

Are Graham and myself one person now? :confused: I wasn't even looking at your conversation with him. What are you on about??? That's your comeback, seriously??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Only a matter of hours before M Martin says

"I understand how difficult it has been for the great people of this country.

We have to be cautious.

The variants.

We have got our children going back to school and that is a great achievement.

Unfortunately as can be seen on the continent there is another wave coming of this deadly disease, and levels of covid transmission in our country are still too high. We have little choice but to extend the lockdown until 5th of May where we hope to see the hospitality start to reopen, and some sort of normality returning."

I write scripts for him. Funny thing is a lot of people eat up above garbage... and disappointing. :mad:

"We have hope, we have vaccines on the way"

Worth recalling that according to Oxford we've had the strictest lockdown regulations in Europe over the last year.

https://seanmcm.medium.com/how-strict-have-the-covid-19-lockdown-restrictions-been-in-ireland-22c80ea06222

Maybe that is what kept the numbers low and saved lives but I hope at some point in the not too distant future we'll be allowed to play a game of football or go to the beach. There probably needs to be a different balance coming into summer.

"If we look at restrictions in Ireland since the 12th March 2020 to 22nd March 2021, then we note that Ireland has had the strictest restrictions in Europe over this time frame."

When we look at the fact that Ireland has the least amount of people over 65 in the EU and has spent the most in the EU in 2020, we might have hoped to have had a lesser lockdown.

Pure anger. And rage. Reading that. Fkin NPHET. Useless single issue zealots.

On paper

It is you!

Wow. Like a celebrity here :)

You are the one who insists our lockdown is not that severe right? Its all just a bit of gibberish on paper right?

You are the one who insists our lockdown is not that severe right?

I'm quite sure that's not something I've ever said.

I'm quite sure that's not something I've ever said.

Didnt you post 10 mins ago that our lockdown is most severe in Europe - only on paper?

Why would you say something like that? Are you implying our lockdown is not as severe as Oxford research suggests? Oxford researchers are exaggerating?

• Advertisement

Delivery of fresh food directly to employees’ desks or homes, the opening of coffee hubs to attract staff into the office to experience the “buzz”, and pre-booked time slots for the staff canteen are all on the menu for workplace catering in the post-pandemic world, according to one of the sector’s largest operators in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/offices-may-use-perks-of-food-and-coffee-to-tempt-home-workers-back-1.4523234

If you are just reading this, stumbled upon this post, do not be under any illusion that there is justice or fairness in this world. 25% of the workforce is on life support from social welfare dept. And here we have offices tempting office workers with free food to get back in the office.

Remember, we are NOT all in this together.

Seriously this IT article gives me a laugh. Fruit delivery to your desk wtf

Didnt you post 10 mins ago that our lockdown is most severe in Europe - only on paper?

Why would you say something like that? Are you implying our lockdown is not as severe as Oxford research suggests? Oxford researchers are exaggerating?

He's right, there's a lot of caveats in the data that another poster highlighted as it for example if 5th year is closed but all the rest of schools open it's counted as schools open. So not a perfect metric at all.

"If we look at restrictions in Ireland since the 12th March 2020 to 22nd March 2021, then we note that Ireland has had the strictest restrictions in Europe over this time frame."

When we look at the fact that Ireland has the least amount of people over 65 in the EU and has spent the most in the EU in 2020, we might have hoped to have had a lesser lockdown.

Pure anger. And rage. Reading that. Fkin NPHET. Useless single issue zealots.

Ok, this wasn't the outcome I was hoping for. Deleted post. It's not a perfect metric and not meant to incite people to rage. Fwiw, I'm not a journalist, just a person made unemployed by the Pandemic. Hopefully things will improve. Nobody has cross checked my analysis etc.

Last time you were talking about rioting and encouraging people to riot in Dublin and you went on holiday instead despite saying you were going.

Calm down to. Don't incite more people to violence.

He's right, there's a lot of caveats in the data that another poster highlighted as it for example if 5th year is closed but all the rest of schools open it's counted as schools open. So not a perfect metric at all.

But same metrics being applied to all of European countries?

Like there is no doubt that schools in Ireland were closed in

April 2020
    May 2020

January 2021
    February 2021
    half of March 2021. (entire March for 5th year students in secondary school)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

https://seanmcm.medium.com/how-strict-have-the-covid-19-lockdown-restrictions-been-in-ireland-22c80ea06222

Maybe that is what kept the numbers low and saved lives but I hope at some point in the not too distant future we'll be allowed to play a game of football or go to the beach. There probably needs to be a different balance coming into summer.

The guy who wrote that article literally admits that Ireland had the third most stringent lockdown, but he decided to cut Oxford's data down to only the period of Ireland's lockdowns, and then it was most stringent. What a shock. If you cut the data down to the period of any other country's lockdowns they'd look more stringent too.

And of course the key takeaway there is that fewer people in Ireland have lost their lives or lost family members than most other countries. Which anyone with an ounce of empathy would recognise as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Delivery of fresh food directly to employees’ desks or homes, the opening of coffee hubs to attract staff into the office to experience the “buzz”, and pre-booked time slots for the staff canteen are all on the menu for workplace catering in the post-pandemic world, according to one of the sector’s largest operators in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/offices-may-use-perks-of-food-and-coffee-to-tempt-home-workers-back-1.4523234

If you are just reading this, stumbled upon this post, do not be under any illusion that there is justice or fairness in this world. 25% of the workforce is on life support from social welfare dept. And here we have offices tempting office workers with free food to get back in the office.

Remember, we are NOT all in this together.

Seriously this IT article gives me a laugh. Fruit delivery to your desk wtf

Bananas.

Are you implying our lockdown is not as severe as Oxford research suggests?

I'm implying nothing.

I'm stating as fact that while restrictions in general here may appear to be particularly harsh the reality is quite different given the cohort that demonstrate they can be ignored with impunity.

tigerboon wrote: »
    Bananas.

:D:D:D:D:D

You made my day.

I almost dont care about Mehole letting us down at 6.01 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'm implying nothing.

I'm stating as fact that while restrictions in general here may appear to be particularly harsh the reality is quite different given the cohort that demonstrate they can be ignored with impunity.

Ah would you ever give it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

(Reuters) - COVID-19 vaccines developed by Pfizer Inc with BioNTech SE and Moderna Inc reduced risk of infection by 80% two weeks or more after the first of two shots, according to data from a real-world U.S. study released on Monday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-vaccines-int-idUSKBN2BL2UW

I rest my case.

Published 12 hours ago. Instead of spending your lifetime on boards - do some research.

People are so desperate to downplay vaccines, laughable. And pathetic.

of course, they want an excuse for this to keep going, they are dreading the day this will be over, I guess they'll spend the time trawling obscure Chinese message boards for rumours of a new virus then ...

• Advertisement

Ok, this wasn't the outcome I was hoping for. Deleted post. It's not a perfect metric and not meant to incite people to rage. Fwiw, I'm not a journalist, just a person made unemployed by the Pandemic. Hopefully things will improve. Nobody has cross checked my analysis etc.

I am sorry to hear that.

You should keep your post.

Unfortunate reality is it doesnt matter what Oxford research or your article states, reality is there outside of our doors. 25% of workforce on life support from social welfare dept. Thousands of SME's liquidated in last 12 months. Billions of debt added. Consequences of this will be far more severe, and last far longer.

I'm implying nothing.

I am almost lost for words. Its rare that I read a post that suggests our lockdown is not severe.

Like in reality - I go to Dublin city center today and I see over 80% of shops closed. How can that be "quite different" to reality of harsh lockdown? They ve been closed for 3 months straight now btw. and were closed for better part of 5 months last year.

8 months in last 12 months Graham. 80% of shops closed. This is not harsh lockdown?

of course, they want an excuse for this to keep going, they are dreading the day this will be over

That just sounds a bit conspiracy theory to be honest.

quokula wrote: »
    The guy who wrote that article literally admits that Ireland had the third most stringent lockdown, but he decided to cut Oxford's data down to only the period of Ireland's lockdowns, and then it was most stringent. What a shock. If you cut the data down to the period of any other country's lockdowns they'd look more stringent too.

And of course the key takeaway there is that fewer people in Ireland have lost their lives or lost family members than most other countries. Which anyone with an ounce of empathy would recognise as a good thing.

I don't admit anything. I state third in Europe overall but first over the last year. I use that to explain why some might be feeling lockdown fatigue.

I conclude by saying it would be better if we had an outcome like Finland, I'm jealous but that maybe our lockdown saved lives. Note, less people died in Finland with a much less strict lockdown. I think we could have done a lot better by shutting down borders

That's it. It's like you read something different to what I wrote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

That just sounds a bit conspiracy theory to be honest.

Like anyone mentioning vaccine passports 6 months ago? They were labelled as conspiracy theorists too and look at us now.

I am almost lost for words. Its rare that I read a post that suggests our lockdown is not severe.

I think you're just reading what you want to read into my posts to be honest because again that's not what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

quokula wrote: »

The reason for that is that Irelands lockdown started later than the others. We didnt lock down till March, other countries started in February. When you're looking at moving averages then yes, you have to start when lockdown starts - otherwise data is skewed.

Fact remains that since last March up to now, we have had most strict restrictions in Europe. We havent had the least deaths per capita in Europe - so by that metric our lockdown has been a failure and we have hit diminshing returns.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Like anyone mentioning vaccine passports 6 months ago? They were labelled as conspiracy theorists too and look at us now.

I can't speak to vaccine passport opinions, I don't think it's ever something I've posted about.

That doesn't change my opinion on the post I responded to.

I'm implying nothing.

I think you're just reading what you want to read into my posts to be honest because again that's not what I posted.

Graham. I mean. Like. What s going on : )

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    The reason for that is that Irelands lockdown started later than the others. We didnt lock down till March, other countries started in February. When you're looking at moving averages then yes, you have to start when lockdown starts - otherwise data is skewed.

Fact remains that since last March up to now, we have had most strict restrictions in Europe. We havent had the least deaths per capita in Europe - so by that metric our lockdown has been a failure and we have hit diminishing returns.

Unfortunately true. Harshest lockdown does not mean lowest deaths or infections. Thats why you really want your govt engaging their neurons when it comes to deciding on restrictions. Unfortunately ours chose to delegate that to single issue zealots who actually believe that society can go months on end staying at home, isolated, getting obese while waiting for a vaccine. Flawed strategy tbf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement