Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,148 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GazzaL wrote: »
    The vast majority of people don't care about restrictions. I know loads of people heading off to their holiday homes for the Easter weekend.

What is the legality with second homes...can you be fined or turned around..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SilentGreenx32

Lundstram wrote: »
    This is what passes as investigative journalism in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/McConnellDaniel/status/1377016828858359809

Waterford Whsiper wouldnt have a patch on these headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Hooked

What is the legality with second homes...can you be fined or turned around..

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#travel-restrictions

Take your pic! :D

RIP.ie or Local graveyard to the area?

etc...

Just have your "story" straight...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

There is very few that want everything open, although have you given any thought to the outcomes for people in the future due to cutbacks caused by the present situation. You do I trust realise the billions we have borrowed to keep 'safe' sections of society closed will have to be paid back by tax increases and service cuts.
    I really find the emotive replies pathetic to be honest, mainly driven by selfishness for one's own situation.

I too find the emotive responses pathetic - protect your granny type responses, its harsh, but most granny's will die when they get old - regardless of whether or not covid is eradicated.

I think i am quite balanced in my own life regarding COVID - I am working from home, but household income is way down on normal still

On the other hand, i know people that have died from Covid, my Dad has a condition that makes him very vulnerable..

I think the millions that have been thrown at COVID via PUP etc could have be used better.

My mum left her job, and they stopped any visitors to their house and got groceries delivered - they protected themselves.. they were able to do this as they had pension income ..many other vulnerable people weren't financially able to this .. any household with a vulnerable resident should have been given money & resources to enable them to stay safe if these choose to, to protect themselves, yes, you cannot entirely protect people, but as the main aim was to flatten the curve and protect the HSE, then enabling the vulnerable to be protected should have been able to succeed..
    Obviously, you can't completely eliminate contact, as many vulnerable need care etc, but precautions could be taken to ensure they are as safe as possible..the lateral flow tests mean it is now reasonably straight forward to keep the vulnerable safe - regular testing for carers etc..

The rest of society should have been opened with whatever precautions in place - businesses have spent a fortune on safety measures - they should have the opportunity to open..

There is no reason for society still to be closed - we need to be looking at alternatives, and get society open asap..what happens if we get a new strain and the vaccines aren't effective..do we stay in lockdown forever..or do we take a risk based approach and allow living again..

Imagine if we didn't have a vaccine - what would be the plan then..

COVID is a chance for us to see how we have reacted to a reasonably minor pandemic (as in risk wise, the risk of dying is extremely low compared to other diseases), and to learn from it, so when the next pandemic comes round we can react quicker and better..

The most important thing we should have learnt from this is how under-prepared the HSE is, and how underfunded it is.it needs funding, we need a health service that can withstand winter pressures, it needs to have spare capacity, not run at over capacity ever winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

A nation of curtain twitchers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Dr. Bre wrote: »

You'll find that most of the nation is getting on with it, regardless of what internet forums of a few thousand might be telling us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

GooglePlus wrote: »
    You'll find that most of the nation is getting on with it, regardless of what internet forums of a few thousand might be telling us.

That's strange because posters were on here not so long ago claiming opinion polls carried out by certain companies were to be trusted and are correct.

Now you're saying the majority of Boards.ie is wrong.

So what ever platform agrees with you is to be trusted but whatever platform doesn't agree with you is not to be trusted.

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Dr. Bre wrote: »

I'm a firm believer that the opinions of anyone that resorts to childish labelling should be disregarded, whatever side of the discussion they're only. Just undermines any argument they're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

That's strange because posters were on here not so long ago claiming opinion polls carried out by certain companies were to be trusted and are correct.

So what ever platform agrees with you is to be trusted but whatever platform doesn't agree with you is not to be trusted.

Odd.

Not sure what you're talking about, I don't recall ever talking about opinion polls on boards and if I did, I've lost any recollection of that. I'm not sure what you mean by platforms that agree with me etc., are you sure you're talking to the right person?

The majority of boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Odd.

No just a rather small subset ...

And it has little to do with the platform. The same can be found everywhere unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,634 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

France introducing new nationwide lockdown measures for at least one month. The price for countries that don't keep control of the spread are tougher brake measures rather than softer long term measures.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/mar/31/coronavirus-live-news-who-lab-leak-theory-investigation-quito-hospitals-overwhelmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

France introducing new nationwide lockdown measures for at least one month. The price for countries that don't keep control of the spread are tougher brake measures rather than softer long term measures.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/mar/31/coronavirus-live-news-who-lab-leak-theory-investigation-quito-hospitals-overwhelmed

I'm in France and have been since the start of the year. The measures here are far more relaxed than in Ireland. The heavier restrictions that were introduced tonight have been in place for a few departments for the past 2 weeks, including the one I'm in. In short
    * Don't travel outside your department (county)
    * You are encouraged to spend time outdoors.
    * 10km restriction for exercise
    * Easter school holidays being brought forward with one additional week of school from home. All back to school 26 April
    * Only certain shops open but it seems a lot of shops fall under the allowed list, including hairdressers

Even now, the restrictions are more relaxed that what Irish people have been pretty much living with since October.

ICUs are heavily loaded but reproductive rate is just below 1. The French are against a strict lockdown and Macron is sticking to his guns

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I'm in France and have been since the start of the year. The measures here are far more relaxed than in Ireland. The heavier restrictions that were introduced tonight have been in place for a few departments for the past 2 weeks, including the one I'm in. In short
    * Easter school holidays being brought forward with one additional week of school from home. All back to school 26 April
    * Only certain shops open but it seems a lot of shops fall under the allowed list, including hairdressers

Even now, the restrictions are more relaxed that what Irish people have been pretty much living with since October.

ICUs are heavily loaded but reproductive rate is just below 1. The French are against a strict lockdown and Macron is sticking to his guns

Did you leave out the curfew on purpose from your list?

“We’re going to close nursery, elementary and high schools for three weeks,” he said, adding that a nationwide 7pm-6am curfew will be kept in place.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40255808.html

Did you leave out the curfew on purpose from your list?

“We’re going to close nursery, elementary and high schools for three weeks,” he said, adding that a nationwide 7pm-6am curfew will be kept in place.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40255808.html

No, curfew has been in place for weeks.

No, curfew has been in place for weeks.

To me personally that would be one of the toughest restrictions, not being able to leave the house after 7pm for 2 months especially coming into summer with the longer evenings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Go away with your actual eyewitness accounts.

The narrative we're going for here is that we have it easy in Ireland and they're being welded into their apartments in France/Germany. Keep up.

To me personally that would be one of the toughest restrictions, not being able to leave the house after 7pm for 2 months especially coming into summer with the longer evenings etc.

Fortunately we're not in summer. The evening curfew was relaxed from 6 to 7 as the days got longer and I expect the same will happen in a few weeks. With no restaurants or bars open, there's not a lot going out after 7. And with a [URL="file:///Users/diarmuid/Downloads/20-03-2021-attestation-deplacement-couvre-feu.pdf"]self-certified form[/URL] you can go out after 7pm

Fortunately we're not in summer. The evening curfew was relaxed from 6 to 7 as the days got longer and I expect the same will happen in a few weeks. With no restaurants or bars open, there's not a lot going out after 7. And with a [URL="file:///Users/diarmuid/Downloads/20-03-2021-attestation-deplacement-couvre-feu.pdf"]self-certified form[/URL] you can go out after 7pm

Imagine the outrage here in Ireland if you had to fill out a form to leave your house after 7pm. I think the whole CV19 forum could explode.

Imagine the outrage here in Ireland if you had to fill out a form to leave your house after 7pm. I think the whole CV19 forum could explode.
    I doubt it considering the length and depth of the restrictions that have been accepted with barely a peep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

quokula wrote: »
    The ones who want to open everything up are the ones who assume it's just other people who'll die, and don't care who has to die and how many people would be left mourning loved ones as long as they get what they want.

Turn off Fake News RTE already. Florida hasn't had a lockdown since last year. No masks, social distancing or anything. Guess what. The apocalypse didn't happen. The streets aren't littered with bodies. The hospitals aren't overwhelmed. They're in better shape both physically, mentally and economically than the eternal lockdown states of Ny and Ca.

We can open everything in the morning and we'll be fine too.

• Advertisement

The amount of people posting videos on Twitter moaning about mostly young people out enjoying themselves in parks is hilarious.

Park in Milltown, Dublin thronged, along the Dodder soaking up the sun and Salthill Prom having a drink and a dip. Great to see them out and about because we all know these people have as much a chance of dying by a lightening strike than they do of Covid19.

The young have been treated like sh1t for over a year now, it's nice to see them sticking two fingers up to the government. You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Turn off Fake News RTE already. Florida hasn't had a lockdown since last year. No masks, social distancing or anything. Guess what. The apocalypse didn't happen. The streets aren't littered with bodies. The hospitals aren't overwhelmed. They're in better shape both physically, mentally and economically than the eternal lockdown states of Ny and Ca.

Yes, 5000+ news cases per day and a total of 34000 deaths (widely accepted as under reported) is something we should all aspire to.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Yes, 5000+ news cases per day and a total of 34000 deaths (widely accepted as under reported) is something we should all aspire to.

Population: 22 million. Equivalent to about 1,100 cases per day in Ireland. We are averaging half that on full lockdown and lets not forget they are streets ahead with vaccines over there.

Florida is famously the retirement home capital of the US which explains their high death rate.

Doesn't seem so dramatic now does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mr. Karate wrote: »

Been keeping an eye on the b117 variant in florida. Just over 800 cases last week. 1200 a few days ago. 2351 today. Be interesting to see how this variant plays out there. Maybe their level of vaccination will work, maybe it wont

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/transmission/variant-cases.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Geuze wrote: »
    The evidence is building that the vaccines prevent transmission, as well as sickness.

The evidence is building that covid pretty much burned out itself. It already killed the most vulnerable people which our very competent government shipped out from hospitals to nursing homes. For the 90% of us, covid is non-issue and about 10% may have it a little worse but a majority of them survive anyway.

From what happened so far we see that covid was and still is far from the disaster we are being sold daily by people looking for their 2 minutes of fame and media who love a good drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

The amount of people posting videos on Twitter moaning about mostly young people out enjoying themselves in parks is hilarious.

Park in Milltown, Dublin thronged, along the Dodder soaking up the sun and Salthill Prom having a drink and a dip. Great to see them out and about because we all know these people have as much a chance of dying by a lightening strike than they do of Covid19.

The young have been treated like sh1t for over a year now, it's nice to see them sticking two fingers up to the government. You reap what you sow.

Yes young people are very unlikely to die of this disease however they can spread it to more vulnerable people.. They are the ones that could die

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Here in Maynooth the Harbour field was like Glastonbury the other night It looked like great craic altogether. Guess what the curtain twitchers have done now?

Contacted the Garda who are now putting on extra patrols and are going to actively break up gatherings of people.

Ridiculous stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Yes young people are very unlikely to die of this disease however they can spread it to more vulnerable people.. They are the ones that could die

Perhaps the government should have factored in compliance of young people when implementing restrictions then. I'm fed up seeing people be blamed for government failings. We've been under harsh restrictions for a good part of the last year. That feels like a lifetime when you're in your teens/early 20s.

So the French will have a 1 month lockdown that will be much less restrictive than what Ireland have had for the best part of half a year.

Strange argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It's been over a year and you still don't understand why young people (and everyone) are being asked to obey the restrictions? It's not about their health, it's about the health of the more vulnerable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement