Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

2024 i reckon is when we have vaccines that work for all strains and we are all vaccinated at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

2024 i reckon is when we have vaccines that work for all strains and we are all vaccinated at this rate.

Jaysus, I'll be 40 then but I suppose they do say life begins at 40. A life where I can go where I want when I want. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

agoodpunt wrote: »
    if there are other options people will move lockdown sucks

I can see people moving out eventually. Michael announced that there would be no easing of restrictions on March 5th [no comment on if he called off his trip though] People will want to get on with their lives at some point. And if they have to do it in a Country that's returning to normal they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

aido79 wrote: »
    Even the border with Northern Ireland?

So is there border or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

xhomelezz wrote: »
    So is there border or not?

I'm sure if you live in Ireland you know the answer to this. If not, I'm not going to be the one to educate you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Jaysus, I'll be 40 then but I suppose they do say life begins at 40. A life where I can go where I want when I want. :pac:
    honestly i never realized how much freedom meant to me before this.

I'm sure if you live in Ireland you know the answer to this. If not, I'm not going to be the one to educate you.

Yes I know, but still don't get it. And I'm not trying to be fighting. If there's the border, it should be closed by now. I know it's impossible to seal it, but it should be easy to make travel as uncomfortable as possible. If they (government) looking for buy in for restrictions, it needs to be done properly. Everything else is gonna fail, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i cant think of one reason for a restriction by july 1st. except of course emigration and travel but aside of that

Yes I know, but still don't get it. And I'm not trying to be fighting. If there's the border, it should be closed by now. I know it's impossible to seal it, but it should be easy to make travel as uncomfortable as possible. If they (government) looking for buy in for restrictions, it needs to be done properly. Everything else is gonna fail, imo.

This might help
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland%E2%80%93United_Kingdom_border

I'm really not sure what part you don't get. It's an open border. I assume you've never been near it. The only indication you've crossed is that the road signs and markings change because the UK use mph instead of kmph.
    Some people live in houses where their kitchen is in the Republic but their bedroom is in the North or where they have to cross the border to get to the other side of their garden.
    It isn't possible to close all of the almost 300 roads across the border. Some towns like Strabane and Lifford are so closely linked that they might as well be the same place even though one is in the North and one is in the Republic.

This might help
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland%E2%80%93United_Kingdom_border

I'm really not sure what part you don't get. It's an open border. I assume you've never been near it. The only indication you've crossed is that the road signs and markings change because the UK use mph instead of kmph.
    Some people live in houses where their kitchen is in the Republic but their bedroom is in the North or where they have to cross the border to get to the other side of their garden.
    It isn't possible to close all of the almost 300 roads across the border. Some towns like Strabane and Lifford are so closely linked that they might as well be the same place even though one is in the North and one is in the Republic.

Well thanks, but how other countries can make it happen in the middle of the Europe, with much more neighbors. That's the part I can't get.

• Advertisement

Well thanks, but how other countries can make it happen in the middle of the Europe, with much more neighbors. That's the part I can't get.

Which countries closed their borders in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Practically it's just not possible. People live (literally!) on it. They work and live either side if it.

Now in practice I heard they were doing checks either side to ensure trips are necessary. That's about as much as you can hope for. But tbh, I get the feeling that more of a deal is being made out of the north than is actually an issue.

Which countries closed their borders in Europe?

My home country did it back at the start of epidemic and I believe they back to it again, France is closing borders for non EU citizens.

https://www.praguemorning.cz/the-czech-republic-closes-its-borders-for-foreigners/

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Someone has been listening to too much of David Icke.

Not really. Even at the most surface level a lot of what happens in this country is controlled by E.U institutions on the continent, that's without even factoring in the likes of Davos, UN, big business, international banking interests etc that influence said institutions.

Again, just tarring the opposition as nutter conspiracy theorists seems the go to response for a lot of individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

As posted on some other threads - this will all end when 70% of the population is vaccinated (according to Philip Nolan)

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-mass-gatherings-until-70-of-the-population-vaccinated-says-nphet-member-1073452.html

Hopefully that's not as far off as we all fear. Certainly from the soundings by ministers, it should be in Q3. Also that's effectively lv. 0 he's talking about, once we get to lv. 3 life gets a whole lot more pleasant. Very hopeful it'll be lv. 4 on 5th March, Lv. 3 in April/May and lv. 2 by June, Lv. 1 in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

There's only a certain amount that the porous nature of the border can be reduced. There are too many roads to be patrolled and it would be very hard to set up a changeover system for lorries at all or even the most used crossing points.

Rapid testing and vaccination is the solution to all of this.
    New strains have to be dealt with as they arise. There's always a chance that it may get in with even the strictest measures in place. Look at Perth today. Western Australia went 10 months without a community transmissions with closed borders and mandatory quarantine and they now have a case. It's forced them into lockdown but it shows how even with all the measures in place it still possible for the virus to get in.

I don’t know, maybe I’m missing something. I’m not a virologist/immunologist/epidemiologist, but surely vaccination alone cannot be the answer while new strains continue to develop and circulate? The South African one is already of concern.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/29/1017033/the-south-african-covid-19-variant-is-proving-to-be-a-vaccine-challenge/

So if this gets into the country and spreads, are we not back to square one and revaccinating everyone?

The other alternative I suppose is to leave the new strains come in, and just hope that they are generally less virulent, lead toto less illness and/or are covered by current vaccine. But isn’t that an astonishing risk to take? Is it not more sensible to do everything in our power to prevent their importation. And we are nowhere near doing everything in our power to prevent that.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i cant think of one reason for a restriction by july 1st. except of course emigration and travel but aside of that

There's no excuse for any after March/April. If they're still in place it will only be about an ego and power trip by then.

As posted on some other threads - this will all end when 70% of the population is vaccinated (according to Philip Nolan)

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-mass-gatherings-until-70-of-the-population-vaccinated-says-nphet-member-1073452.html

Hopefully that's not as far off as we all fear. Certainly from the soundings by ministers, it should be in Q3. Also that's effectively lv. 0 he's talking about, once we get to lv. 3 life gets a whole lot more pleasant. Very hopeful it'll be lv. 4 on 5th March, Lv. 3 in April/May and lv. 2 by June, Lv. 1 in August!

They better cut the crap and get on with it then. People will only tolerate this for so much longer. Especially if they feel that these clowns are intentionally dragging their feet every step of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They better cut the crap and get on with it then. People will only tolerate this for so much longer. Especially if they feel that these clowns are intentionally dragging their feet every step of the way.
    The issue isn't with the rollout of vaccines though....it's with actually getting the supply...you do know that right?
    Who are the clowns in this? The EU? Astra Zeneca? Because when it comes to the vaccine rollout the issue isn't with the HSE or the irish government.

gmisk wrote: »
    The issue isn't with the rollout of vaccines though....it's with actually getting the supply...you do know that right?
    Who are the clowns in this? The EU? Astra Zeneca? Because when it comes to the vaccine rollout the issue isn't with the HSE or the irish government.

The Irish Govt should have gotten their own supply. Much like Uk and Hungary did. Ofcourse Michael and Leo wouldn't be able to show the world how subservient to the EU they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Irish Govt should have gotten their own supply. Much like Uk and Hungary did. Of course Michael and Leo wouldn't be able to show the world how subservient to the EU they are.
    The UK aren't in the EU so can do what they want.

Hungary....bought the Russian vaccine and a Chinese one both of which haven't been approved by the EMA....I would prefer they go through the appropriate checks personally.

You also need to bare in mind Orban likes to be seen to stick it to the EU anytime he possibly can, it plays well to his supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Can you give an estimate of what you would call mass deaths? It's a fairly heartless attitude and I'm actually worried that you have kids to be honest. You obviously have no family members who may be at risk of dying of covid.

Transferring containers should be looked into but it's not always possible.

I'm worried about your kids too but for different reasons than yours.
    What exactly do you mean by stupid politics?

? I am saying no to the first option obviously. Stupid politics = sectarian politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,229 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dickie10 wrote: »

What’s happening on July 1st?

Do you consider masks and distancing to be restrictions?

My home country did it back at the start of epidemic and I believe they back to it again, France is closing borders for non EU citizens.

https://www.praguemorning.cz/the-czech-republic-closes-its-borders-for-foreigners/

How many countries do it have an open border with? How many countries does France have an open border with?

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    ? I am saying no to the first option obviously. Stupid politics = sectarian politics.

You're saying no but you're still ok with having mass deaths just so the people who don't die can return to some kind of normality rather than open up slowly?

Sectarian politics is only a very small part of the problem. The main problem is the fact that Northern Ireland relies on funding from Westminster and can't afford to do their own thing without careful consideration.

I don’t know, maybe I’m missing something. I’m not a virologist/immunologist/epidemiologist, but surely vaccination alone cannot be the answer while new strains continue to develop and circulate? The South African one is already of concern.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/29/1017033/the-south-african-covid-19-variant-is-proving-to-be-a-vaccine-challenge/

So if this gets into the country and spreads, are we not back to square one and revaccinating everyone?

The other alternative I suppose is to leave the new strains come in, and just hope that they are generally less virulent, lead toto less illness and/or are covered by current vaccine. But isn’t that an astonishing risk to take? Is it not more sensible to do everything in our power to prevent their importation. And we are nowhere near doing everything in our power to prevent that.

The new strains are definitely a problem in terms of vaccines. There's a lot of positivity around research saying that some of the vaccines at least are effective against the new variants as they are a new variants rather than a completely new strain like what happens with the flu.

There's definitely more that can be done around border control but the idea of completely stopping the virus entering the country through controlling the borders is fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

There's no excuse for any after March/April. If they're still in place it will only be about an ego and power trip by then.

Once the over 70s are vaccinated I'm done living like a monk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Once the over 70s are vaccinated I'm done living like a monk.

Same here. Even if there are hundreds of cases a day, if no one is dying from covid then life must go on. My human rights can't be taken away if the virus is killing no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You're saying no but you're still ok with having mass deaths just so the people who don't die can return to some kind of normality rather than open up slowly?

Sectarian politics is only a very small part of the problem. The main problem is the fact that Northern Ireland relies on funding from Westminster and can't afford to do their own thing without careful consideration.

Sorry, I'm using language that even a 5 year old could understand but I'll try again.

Option 1 is mass deaths. I was saying no to option 1.

I said yes to option 2. One island or close border solution to eradicate covid19

I'm afraid I've been dealing with young children and assumed an adult might have a similar level of comprehension but that's an unfair assumption.

I hope this helps to explain my preferences.

• Advertisement

Things are normal now.

Just a new normal

Depressing. If this is normal then give me the disease. Can't be worse than this. At least than 1 per cent mortality I will take my chances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement