Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

People in the seal the border, one island approach fail to understand that by the latest May, the adult population of Northern Ireland will vaccinated!! Arlene will be wanting to seal the border from us!

The Australian federal government has control over all the borders in Australia. No single government has control over the borders in Ireland. That means there are international considerations in Ireland , which don't exist in Australia's borders. That's a huge difference.

A much more likely scenario is British isles common travel area. They are way ahead of us in the vaccination programme so they would be doing us a favour. Nne of these things are likely to happen though.

We don't need to close borders this year. We need to vaccinate people. By June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Absolutely agree, you can't close the border (NI one) and all of this guff and talk about North South cooperation and a single island policy is just talk. Nothing can and will happen. You can do a New Zealand on other travel into Ireland but with the open border it's pointless unless the UK does a NZ too.

If you want to continue with travel restrictions the only one that makes any sense is unifying with the UK and forming a bubble in the UK and Ireland so that regs are consistent with the entire UK and Ireland. The UK has consistently honoured the CTA through this entire process and this won't change.

I think O'Leary has it spot on. Vaccinate all the over 50's and vulnerable and then lift all restrictions entirely and get on with life and live with the virus. Anyone who wants to stay at home, well it will be free society once again so fire ahead.

You have to bear in mind we won't ever achieve 100% vaccine coverage as there will always be people who won't take the vaccine, people who can't take the vaccine etc etc people who don't respond well to the vaccine etc etc so the virus will happily continue to move around our populations just like influenza and the other endemic corona viruses. In time a combination of natural human immunity and vaccines will just push it into the background along with possible mutations that reduce it's lethality to the old and vulnerable. Perhaps though it will never mutate that much and we will just have to accept it's another very minor threat to our lives just life flu and a myriad of other infectious diseases and other health conditions.

This is an endemic virus now, people really don't seem to be grasping that this virus will be with humans for the foreseeable future. The vaccines are not golden bullets. It's really a case of living with it and with the vaccines the collateral damage from this virus will be nothing of unusual significance.

Luke O'neill has said similar to what O'Leary has said

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-coronavirus-figures-will-plummet-when-top-four-priority-groups-are-vaccinated-1143656

As long as everyone has access to medical treatment this is a very controllable disease so there is no need for full on lockdowns once vulnerable people are vaccinated and the vaccine does it's job.
    We don't need everyone vaccine to return to some kind of normality. You're right the virus will be around for a long time and there's a huge difference between lots of people sick at home in their own beds and hospitals at breakfast capacity because beds are full. Most younger people if they get covid don't require hospital treatment so as long as the case numbers for vulnerable people is reduced through vaccination life can slowly return to normal. Anything more than a gradual reopening would also be a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

It is far more likely that we will be looking over the border at them getting their vaccines and wishing we could do that.

Well that is already happening.......miles ahead in the UK and for anyone who just can't bring themselves to say anything positive about the UK the EU is also well behind the USA and let's not talk about Israel, the UAE etc.

It's hard to watch but the the reality is the EU has really dropped the ball here and for all the EU solidarity brigade I still can't understand how Germany has politically 'got away' with buying vaccines outside of the EU purchase agreement. Solidarity for the little people while Germany marches ahead. I don't blame the Germans by the way but why is Ireland not following suit ?

The Irish government has stubbornly stuck to the EU roleout and approvals pace (and continue to do so despite the delays) but the reality is we could have approved it ourselves before Xmas and also thrown some serious cash at the problem to secure vaccines outside the EU agreement too. Savings easily offset by getting the economy back faster.

It's unpalatable for many but getting on the blower to the UK and selling hard the CTA, common border in the North track will not fall on deaf ears as the UK won't want Ireland to be way behind on vaccinations due to the common border and CTA. Securing some stocks through the UK would Fast track things but I know many just won't be able to bring themselves to do this and this is a pity. Pride I suspect won't allow it especially after the Brexit wrangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

plodder wrote: »
    I think people are reading too much into the mutations.

Easy to do when the clowns in Govt and media are pulling the "No. We mean it this time. This variation will be the death of us" act to keep the fear mongering going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Ireland probably want to be able to blame the EU if any unforeseen health issues happen with the vaccines. Therefore do as EU says to do

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

bren2002 wrote: »
    Political reasoning is a different matter. All the arguments being put forward are ones that put the focus on the porous nature of the border, but if that's been solved elsewhere then the reason is purely political will to do it.

Yeah sure it’s just a matter of getting the Irish and British governments to agree and also the DUP and SF in NI. No bother....

Grand in principle and almost impossible in practice

aido79 wrote: »

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-coronavirus-figures-will-plummet-when-top-four-priority-groups-are-vaccinated-1143656

As long as everyone has access to medical treatment this is a very controllable disease so there is no need for full on lockdowns once vulnerable people are vaccinated and the vaccine does it's job.
    We don't need everyone vaccine to return to some kind of normality. You're right the virus will be around for a long time and there's a huge difference between lots of people sick at home in their own beds and hospitals at breakfast capacity because beds are full. Most younger people if they get covid don't require hospital treatment so as long as the case numbers for vulnerable people is reduced through vaccination life can slowly return to normal. Anything more than a gradual reopening would also be a recipe for disaster.

Good link and O'Neill is always worth listening to. I think you are right and while I know O'Leary is controversial and rubs people up the wrong way what in essence he is appealing for is a 'reasonable line in the sand'.

I think he is actually being over cautious - the stats to me suggest once the over 65's and vulnerable are vaccinated death rates will hugely drop but okay let's broaden it out to the over 50's and then get back to life and move on.

The zero covid brigade, no deaths at any cost, we can eradicate this virus lot I know are well intentioned but it just not reality. I'll say it again, this is now an endemic virus. People need to understand this and accept this or we can't have rational debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Vaccinate how many of which people?

The vaccine program has not ramped up according to plan. The uk might have vaccinated a large proportion of the population by June (they were at 12% at the weekend) but we’re miles behind hem at about 2-3%.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Easy to do when the clowns in Govt and media are pulling the "No. We mean it this time. This variation will be the death of us" act to keep the fear mongering going.

This isn't the conspiracy theory forum. Why do you keep going on about fear mongering? Do you actually think the government or some other authority is trying to control us?
    I am way more worried about people like you than any virus variations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People in the seal the border, one island approach fail to understand that by the latest May, the adult population of Northern Ireland will vaccinated!! Arlene will be wanting to seal the border from us!

Exactly, what is the point in trying to untangle a decades old political mess when any time and effort spent there could be rendered moot within a few months?

If we want to spend political capitol then spend it where it might actually do some good, in addressing the issue of vaccine supply and roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I have to say, I was full of hope at Christmas that 2021 would be a better year. I understood that we would have Level 4/5 restrictions for most of January and February, but I thought once the numbers came down, and the nursing home and HCW were vaccinated, we could at least open in March at a Level 3. I was also sincerely hoping that if vaccinations went at a reasonable pace we could open at Level 2, or even 1 in June.

Now it looks like we'll be at Level 4 for at least a couple of months and probably up to June. Everything about supply of the vaccines seems to be bad news. Pfizer reducing its capacity at it's plant and reducing its supply. The absolute farce between AZ and the EU. The clear inability for the HSE to pivot from it's plan to use the AZ for the majority of vaccinations to using Pfizer or Moderna. Promising that everyone would be vaccinated by September and then reneging on that promise because we seem to be unable or unwilling to buy vaccines outside of the EU program.

All this is making this lockdown so so SO much worse than the first or second one. All the good things that we tried to hang on to from the first lockdown "the kids are getting to spend so much time with us", "we're exploring our local area", "I'm cooking from scratch", "I'm saving money" - all of these benefits are gone. The kids are sick of the sight of us. I cannot bear another walk past the same houses and the same parks - even if I got to go out for a walk but it seems to be CONSTANTLY raining. I thought I was fed up with everything in October and November, but I didn't know how much further into a hole we were going to get.

I tell you one thing, when over 50's are vaccinated, whenever that may be, I'm going on holidays abroad - despite Mr Holohan's protests. And I'm going to see my parents and friends and I'm going to have people over to my house. If the government won't make a sensible decision to remove the restrictions as soon as older and more vulnerable are vaccinated then I'll make the decision myself. I've had enough.

JDD wrote: »
    I have to say, I was full of hope at Christmas that 2021 would be a better year. I understood that we would have Level 4/5 restrictions for most of January and February, but I thought once the numbers came down, and the nursing home and HCW were vaccinated, we could at least open in March at a Level 3. I was also sincerely hoping that if vaccinations went at a reasonable pace we could open at Level 2, or even 1 in June.

Now it looks like we'll be at Level 4 for at least a couple of months and probably up to June. Everything about supply of the vaccines seems to be bad news. Pfizer reducing its capacity at it's plant and reducing its supply. The absolute farce between AZ and the EU. The clear inability for the HSE to pivot from it's plan to use the AZ for the majority of vaccinations to using Pfizer or Moderna. Promising that everyone would be vaccinated by September and then reneging on that promise because we seem to be unable or unwilling to buy vaccines outside of the EU program.

All this is making this lockdown so so SO much worse than the first or second one. All the good things that we tried to hang on to from the first lockdown "the kids are getting to spend so much time with us", "we're exploring our local area", "I'm cooking from scratch", "I'm saving money" - all of these benefits are gone. The kids are sick of the sight of us. I cannot bear another walk past the same houses and the same parks - even if I got to go out for a walk but it seems to be CONSTANTLY raining. I thought I was fed up with everything in October and November, but I didn't know how much further into a hole we were going to get.

I tell you one thing, when over 50's are vaccinated, whenever that may be, I'm going on holidays abroad - despite Mr Holohan's protests. And I'm going to see my parents and friends and I'm going to have people over to my house. If the government won't make a sensible decision to remove the restrictions as soon as older and more vulnerable are vaccinated then I'll make the decision myself. I've had enough.

Well said and perfectly put. Nothing more to add really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Hooked

It's refreshing to read posts like this...

People able to draw their own conclusions and make up their own minds.

I'm back in the office this week after a 2 week isolation, having testing positive. And like the 99.91% of under 65s in this country who also caught the "dreaded" covid (183 deaths from 190k cases) - I'm absolutely fine.

Tony No-lohan, MeHole Martin and Leaky Leo are STEALING a living!!!

Vaccinate and protect the old/sick, but for Christ's sake - let the rest of us be!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

And yet sociopathic scumbag Pat Kenny still wants the restrictions to continue even after these figures plummet.

These are not good people, if it's one thing this pandemic has taught us, is we really have little authoritarian jackboots in our midst that are loving this and want it to go on and on and on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

And yet sociopathic scumbag Pat Kenny still wants the restrictions to continue even after these figures plummet.

These are not good people, if it's one thing this pandemic has taught us, is we really have little authoritarian jackboots in our midst that are loving this and want it to go on and on and on ...

Haha the attitudes on boards.ie is so fun - all extremes - its like a little dems v republicans battle

Some fun reading.

Carry on ye daft feckers.

Hooked wrote: »
    It's refreshing to read posts like this...

People able to draw their own conclusions and make up their own minds.

I'm back in the office this week after a 2 week isolation, having testing positive. And like the 99.91% of under 65s in this country who also caught the "dreaded" covid (183 deaths from 190k cases) - I'm absolutely fine.

Tony No-lohan, MeHole Martin and Leaky Leo are STEALING a living!!!

Vaccinate and protect the old/sick, but for Christ's sake - let the rest of us be!

Yup......have a rummage through all of the stats across Europe (where you can find them) and you will find pretty much the same thing. Miniscule risk for anyone under 65 without a serious relevant underlying health condition.

It hasn't changed since Day One of this entire crisis but due to the panic across the Western World changing tack now is politically impossible, we are stuck with this until the bitter end I am afraid as the politicians and public health people can then turn around and say it's 'okay now' as the vaccine has saved us. The alternative for them is admitting that they panicked and that they over reacted and the mess they created is entirely their fault. It's easy though with the protective group think (not some mad conspiracy folks just the dangers of endless backslapping group think) and always remember that the people making these decisions haven't suffered a single lost euro.......and won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I'm firmly in the camp of suppress this virus as aggressively as possible and open up carefully, but I wouldn't begrduge anyone throwing their hat at the restrictions once nearly all of the vulernable populations are protected. Any public health advice that comes after that should be merely guidance.

Honestly I don't listen to RTE. Everyone I have spoken to in my own age group (40's) feel the same way that I do. Pat Kenny is obviously in an older age group and may feel more vulnerable to the virus, which is fair enough. And if he is speaking mostly to the over-50's then I imagine they'll also be ready to restart their lives once they themselves are vaccinated - despite what Pat Kenny or George Lee or anyone else on RTE might say.

Why does Pat Kenny's opinion matter to anyone?

Who exactly is loving this in your opinion? I wouldn't trade places with anyone who has to make any real decisions in any of this for a million euro a year.

• Advertisement

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Yup......have a rummage through all of the stats across Europe (where you can find them) and you will find pretty much the same thing. Miniscule risk for anyone under 65 without a serious relevant underlying health condition.

It hasn't changed since Day One of this entire crisis but due to the panic across the Western World changing tack now is politically impossible, we are stuck with this until the bitter end I am afraid as the politicians and public health people can then turn around and say it's 'okay now' as the vaccine has saved us. The alternative for them is admitting that they panicked and that they over reacted and the mess they created is entirely their fault. It's easy though with the protective group think (not some mad conspiracy folks just the dangers of endless backslapping group think) and always remember that the people making these decisions haven't suffered a single lost euro.......and won't.

I'm not saying that the lockdowns up to now weren't necessary. We got a taste of what the situation would be if there was no lockdown with the hospitalisations after Christmas - and that was only two weeks of the restrictions being lifted. I'd be horrified to think what it would be like if the lockdowns hadn't been implemented at all.

So I don't think the politicians and public health people got it wrong. You can harp on about "but why didn't we just increase capacity" when it seems blindingly obvious to me why you can't increase capacity over the space of a year - trained staff can't be magicked up.

But I can't stand by and more and more months pass where my life is on hold, when there isn't a watertight reason for it. I was happy to adhere to the lockdown restrictions up to now, because I did not want to catch the virus and pass it on to someone vulnerable. If the vulnerable are vaccinated then the large majority of the reason I was adhering to the restrictions is gone.

I'm not saying that the lockdowns up to now weren't necessary. We got a taste of what the situation would be if there was no lockdown with the hospitalisations after Christmas - and that was only two weeks of the restrictions being lifted. I'd be horrified to think what it would be like if the lockdowns hadn't been implemented at all.

So I don't think the politicians and public health people got it wrong. You can harp on about "but why didn't we just increase capacity" when it seems blindingly obvious to me why you can't increase capacity over the space of a year - trained staff can't be magicked up.

But I can't stand by and more and more months pass where my life is on hold, when there isn't a watertight reason for it. I was happy to adhere to the lockdown restrictions up to now, because I did not want to catch the virus and pass it on to someone vulnerable. If the vulnerable are vaccinated then the large majority of the reason I was adhering to the restrictions is gone.

History is history now and we are were we are....regardless as to whether you are lockdown sceptic or a zero covid fan.....

That is why the O'Leary approach is vitally relevant and important. It is ultimately a pragmatic position drawing a line in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There are approximately 700k people over 65 in Ireland. At current rates of vaccination, that will mean we will be nearly at Christmas before even that minority group is vaccinated. 2021 looks to be a right off already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Remember during the first lockdown, when we were all walking around the parks and saying 'Thank God for the good weather, this lockdown business would be a different story in dark January'

Well, we were right!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Quazzie wrote: »
    There are approximately 700k people over 65 in Ireland. At current rates of vaccination, that will mean we will be nearly at Christmas before even that minority group is vaccinated. 2021 looks to be a right off already

Yes, but the 'current rates of vaccination' will increase greatly once AstraZenaca & J&J vaccines come on stream as they can be administered by Doctors, Nurses and Pharmacists locally rather than having vaccination centres. Also others like vaccine makers such as Pfizer & Moderna will resolve production issues and supplies will increase enormously throughout the Spring/Summer.

So there is hope by Autumn 2021 the worst will be behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

I don't see border control as a long term solution to any of this. Even countries which have been successful in keeping covid out by closing their borders like Australia and New Zealand will have to open up eventually.

Antigen testing and vaccination is the best way to control it. I would definitely be in favour of slowly opening things up once hospital numbers drop even if it means that the virus will spread among healthy people because it will give some immunity to that part of the population. Once the vulnerable have been vaccinated and it's proven to be effective there is no reason to keep everything closed but it would be a very bad idea to open up before this.

In Perth currently they are in a 5 day lockdown over one case. They had been living more or less as normal up until then for the last 10 months. All it took was one case and straight away they locked down. They have kept borders closed and have the advantage of being the most isolated city in the world. Ireland can't do this because we can't control the border in the same way. This is my logic for saying we can't live normally even with the best measures in place if we rely on border control and testing alone.

I think they will open only to other countries who have it under control. Any country that gets it under control, and gets to herd immunity (85% for the new uk variant now I believe.... tricky/impossible without vaccinating u16?... another question!) will protect that status. People here saying the UK will be closing their borders to us (for all but essential) could well be right.

Without border controls, how do we exit the cycle of endless revaccination? And if we do go for revaccination after revaccination, it’s not the same as the flu. Every time we have to revaccinate, presumably we have to protect the health service from being overwhelmed while we roll out new vaccine I.e. masks, social distancing etc.

I’d love to believe the world can go back to normal. Came on here hoping someone could convince me, but the new variants question (essentially new diseases) keeps stumping me... it always lands back at the world split into COVID free/ not COVID free.

Or can someone who knows something about virology tell me something to cheer me up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Or can someone who knows something about virology tell me something to cheer me up?!

Pretty much nobody that got vaccinated in any of the trials was hospitalised, including the one in South Africa

*Not saying I'm someone that knows about virology. I'm absolutely not

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I'm firmly in the camp of suppress this virus as aggressively as possible and open up carefully, but I wouldn't begrduge anyone throwing their hat at the restrictions once nearly all of the vulernable populations are protected. Any public health advice that comes after that should be merely guidance.

Yes. That sounds great in theory. But therein lies another question. Say 30% are vaccinated, that is all vulnerable people. Ok great. Now we don’t have nearly enough people vaccinated for it to die out, so it circulates freely in the young. They don’t get sick. Hospitals are grand. But, because we’ve vaccinated against the current strain, that strain finds it harder to replicate because it encounters vaccinated people one time in three. Does this not then put pressure on the virus to mutate into a strain that can evade the vaccine?

In other words, is half a vaccination program a recipe for disaster?

I don’t know the answer by the way and everything I’ve written here could be total nonsense.

Anyone actually know the answer?

El Sueño wrote: »
    Pretty much nobody that got vaccinated in any of the trials was hospitalised, including the one in South Africa

*Not saying I'm someone that knows about virology. I'm absolutely not

That is good but there seems to be mixed reports all the same on vaccine efficacy.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/29/1017033/the-south-african-covid-19-variant-is-proving-to-be-a-vaccine-challenge/

• Advertisement

I think they will open only to other countries who have it under control. Any country that gets it under control, and gets to herd immunity (85% for the new uk variant now I believe.... tricky/impossible without vaccinating u16?... another question!) will protect that status. People here saying the UK will be closing their borders to us (for all but essential) could well be right.

Without border controls, how do we exit the cycle of endless revaccination? And if we do go for revaccination after revaccination, it’s not the same as the flu. Every time we have to revaccinate, presumably we have to protect the health service from being overwhelmed while we roll out new vaccine I.e. masks, social distancing etc.

I’d love to believe the world can go back to normal. Came on here hoping someone could convince me, but the new variants question (essentially new diseases) keeps stumping me... it always lands back at the world split into COVID free/ not COVID free.

How do we exit to cycle of endless cycle of border control would be more like it. Border controls can only be temporary and are not even a realistic solution in most countries including Ireland.

What new variants are resistant to vaccines? Where is the evidence that future strains will be resistant to vaccines?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement