Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Multipass wrote: »
    They might be sorry when they discover that workers in India can do their job ‘from home’ for a quarter of the cost.

Agree 100%. I expect mass starvation is a lot worse than a disease that primarily affects elderly pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Parachutes wrote: »
    Vulnerable groups continue how they are now, rest of us go back to normality albeit with some social distancing rules. Not rocket science like.

Grand so, are they allowed leave the house? Have visitors? Go the shop for the paper? Will we open the pubs but refuse over 65s? Will aldi require a note from your doctor saying you have no respiratory issues before you are allowed buy the super six mango?

If it's not rocket science then you should have it all mapped out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Grand so, are they allowed leave the house? Have visitors? Go the shop for the paper? Will we open the pubs but refuse over 65s? Will aldi require a note from your doctor saying you have no respiratory issues before you are allowed buy the super six mango?

Just advise them to stay at home. There has been far too much telling people what they can or cannot do. We even have posters on here who feel that they have the right to dictate what their parents do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They might be sorry when they discover that workers in India can do their job ‘from home’ for a quarter of the cost.

If businesses could get workers in India to do the job at a quarter of the cost they would already be doing it. They don't employ people because it's nice to see them in the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

hynesie08 wrote: »

Simple, government health advice is for over 65's to restrict movements.

End of. Move on.

• Advertisement

If businesses could get workers in India to do the job at a quarter of the cost they would already be doing it. They don't employ people because it's nice to see them in the workplace.

Prior to the pandemic a lot of businesses were not aware that they could have so much of their workforce working remotely and still be as productive. There will be some serious re-evaluation going on after this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It's hilarious how this always comes up. Aside from the fact that highly skilled people from India are happy to travel all over the world to take up employment, don't you think companies would already be underpaying people in India if it was possible to do so?

polesheep wrote: »
    Prior to the pandemic a lot of businesses were not aware that they could have so much of their workforce working remotely and still be as productive. There will be some serious re-evaluation going on after this is over.

They will most likely re-evaluate is the need for a physical workspace.

You're over-estimating the number of businesses who never considered outsourcing the work to reduce staff costs. Businesses absolutely know what skills they need in their workforce. A well-run business will have considered the pros and cons of outsourcing work long before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

You're over-estimating the number of businesses who never considered outsourcing the work to reduce staff costs. Businesses absolutely know what skills they need in their workforce. A well-run business will have considered the pros and cons of outsourcing work long before now.
    I'd say most businesses like the staff onsite so they can crack the whip etc.

Hmob wrote: »

"I'd say most businesses" sounds like baseless speculation.

A business that prefers cracking the whip etc over reducing overheads falls outside the scope of a well-run business.

• Advertisement

True, but now they have new data. I'm not suggesting huge change but there will be changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

"I'd say most businesses" sounds like baseless speculation.

A business that prefers cracking the whip etc over reducing overheads falls outside the scope of a well-run business.

I think it's both - middle management definitely falls into the former category, and for a lot of desk workers this is as senior a management level as they'll routinely deal with so they may not realise that further up the corporate ladder people are all about reducing overheads.

The end of mass office working is an existential threat to middle management so of course they oppose. They are not, however, ultimately the ones who will make the decisions as to how much money the company should spend building or buying office blocks, etc.

Do they prefer cracking the whip etc over reducing overheads?

If so, that falls outside the scope of a well-run business.

Don't disagree but WFH is in the early stages here

Did de-centrelization ever take off here, was the big buzzword years ago

Companies still seemingly centralizing in urban locations

True, but now they have new data. I'm not suggesting huge change but there will be changes.

I would suggest maybe some minor changes but there isn't going to be a lot of change to staff just because they know the staff they have employed with articular skillsets can now work remotely.

They don't employ people as part of a CSR drive.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make.

It's gone over your head, that's alright

Ask the public sector, it was their buzzword.

It's gone over your head, that's alright

You could just explain your point given you haven't really made it that well. You referenced decentralisation, which was a public sector initiative that didn't have sufficient buy-in from public sector staff, so why do you think that it's relevant to private businesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I just find it hilarious that Tony Holohan is making calls that impact us all without question.

Its almost scary how much power Holohan has at this point. He's running the Country making Michael Martin a Taosieach in name only.

And you can bet that Holohan won't give up this power so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Its almost scary how much power Holohan has at this point. He's running the Country making Michael Martin a Taosieach in name only.

And you can bet that Holohan won't give up this power so easily.

Don't normally agree with these type of posts, but having listened to Martin earlier on today, it might as well have been holohan speaking. Let's face it, we are going to be essentially in level five till hospital numbers are in single figures and the government has no more money to pay pup and twss. 2021 is looking very bleak IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭hynesie08

My favourite thing about the great and powerful tony holohan is how he pulls the strings. Convincing the government to keep wet pubs closed while he was on sabbatical so that he would come back like the all conquering hero, then in October pretending the government were ignoring his advice, and pulling the same trick in December........ Absolutely diabolical.....

Good thing the detectives of boards see through him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It's hilarious how this always comes up. Aside from the fact that highly skilled people from India are happy to travel all over the world to take up employment, don't you think companies would already be underpaying people in India if it was possible to do so?

They already are, and it’s increasing. How often do you reach a call centre in India for tech support?

The world has changed hugely in the last 20 years. We lost our electronics manufacturing to the far East, the same can easily happen to social i.e. Google etc India has come on massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Agreed, bottom line is many businesses if they are profitable never really question much of their core outlay (I know I see it all the time in companies) and just continue as they have done.

For years people have avoided it mass teleworking for lots of fuzzy reasons about office based productivity and building working relations etc. Covid for some businesses will have shown them that all that was nonsense and your admin and routine work can be done by people on an Internet connection anywhere.....

While yes some businesses will go unchanged this is a tipping point for other businesses where they will question what they have been doing.

Let's take a large insurance company for example....prior to this had 500/600 staff in offices. Over the last year 500/600 staff work remotely and they see productivity maintained. Questions start getting asked.....

If you don't think that firstly they will be looking to downsize.office space and secondly beginning to question not sub contracting out some of their workforce or teleworking some of their workforce I think honestly it is a naive viewpoint.

It was happening already but this ain't exactly going to help.

Of course many jobs will be unaffected but I just can't see it not having a substantial impact over the next decade.

They already are, and it’s increasing. How often do you reach a call centre in India for tech support?

Seriously, never.

Edit: I think that it’s probably down to the fact that anything I would be put through to Indian tech support for, I would be more likely to work out myself. These are not highly skilled workers. Those jobs are gone years, WFH will have no impact.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    The world has changed hugely in the last 20 years. We lost our electronics manufacturing to the far East, the same can easily happen to social i.e. Google etc India has come on massively.

Perhaps that will happen.

But it won't happen as a result of business owners realising that they can now outsource because WFH

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Seriously, never.

Edit: I think that it’s probably down to the fact that anything I would be put through to Indian tech support for, I would be more likely to work out myself. These are not highly skilled workers. Those jobs are gone years, WFH will have no impact.

I think that's extremely stupid bordering on racist.

Laravel framework developed in India by an Indian for fun

https://laravel.com/

Daimler partnering with Infosys.

https://www.infosys.com/

Tata are massive. I could go on for ages. We are at the very top of the food chain. If we get knocked off where to next? We can't even get manufacturing back as it's been replaced by machines.

We're the third most indebted nation in the world per capita. I'm fine, I've lived my life for better or worse and have worked across multiple sectors but it's the next generation still in school.

If you think we can continue to support our standard of living through working from home i would say definitely not, maybe the public sector as they don't work on a scale similar to the private sector.

Anyway, I hope reality sees a ray of light soon as we are currently destroying our industries.

Perhaps that will happen.

But it won't happen as a result of business owners realising that they can now outsource because WFH

WFH in my experience has massive inefficiencies for companies developing and manufacturing products. The majority of the companies with this policy are not thriving and will fail if it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0209/1196048-govt-announces-160m-in-supports-for-covid-hit-firms/

Me thinks this new scheme is secretly telling us lockdown level 5/4 is not ending anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

Have to dispute that everything goes along dandily with WFH.

Most companies are getting through, but it's not more efficient or productive. It's kind of OK when everyone does it because there's no competitive advantage being gained, but I'm very sure that whenever things do go back to normal, companies will need people back in the office.

Companies that try to skimp on office space will end up worse off.

Certain tasks can be done from home perfectly, so we will see more WFH as a option maybe 2 days a week for lots of employees - but not as a permeant feature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement