Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

Things will improve by summer. Big events towards the end of the year.
    Once the old and sick are vaccinated by June we need to loosen things up. Saw last summer that the weather helped. So long as we don't run out of ICU space we need to get things going.
    I'm fine with another few months of isolation on balance. Both of my parents are high-risk and should be vaccinated soon, I still won't be counting chickens until I've been vaccinated as well. Based on 90% protection the chances of myself and one of them both being vulnerable should be 1-2% so I'll be going more or less back to normal with them once I'm vaccinated.
    This time next year we'll be completely back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Things will improve by summer. Big events towards the end of the year.
    Once the old and sick are vaccinated by June we need to loosen things up. Saw last summer that the weather helped. So long as we don't run out of ICU space we need to get things going.
    I'm fine with another few months of isolation on balance. Both of my parents are high-risk and should be vaccinated soon, I still won't be counting chickens until I've been vaccinated as well. Based on 90% protection the chances of myself and one of them both being vulnerable should be 1-2% so I'll be going more or less back to normal with them once I'm vaccinated.
    This time next year we'll be completely back to normal.

Both my parents are high risk, 70’s both with heart conditions. They can’t wait to get vaccinated in the next couple of months so they can go out shopping again ( i currently do it for them). That’s normality beginning right there for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

LordBasil wrote: »
    I think the vaccine rollout will accelerate significantly both here and across Europe in the coming months, especially when the Oxford vaccine is approved and many of the current problems have been resolved. There will be growing pressure from the media, business groups and the public to get it going much more efficiently, this has already started to happen.

If I had to guess on the timescales for re-opening of Ireland;

Mid Feb: Schools and Construction.

March: Non-Essential retail, Golf, Tennis

April: Outdoor Dining, Gyms, Larger attendance at weddings and funerals.

May: Indoor dining.

June: Wet pubs, Theatres, Bingo Halls, Cinemas. Family gatherings.

July: Non-essential foreign travel allowed without having to isolate for 2 weeks if you have been vaccinated or get negative Covid test.

August: Work from home recommendations gradually lifted. Capacity limits on public transport increases.Crowds can attend sports events outdoors but not full capacity.

September: On campus attendance for 3rd students. All staff can return to offices. Conferences and exhibitions can take place.

October/ November: Most restrictions lifted as concerts can go ahead and nightclubs open. Full attendance at sporting events.

Christmas as normal. Hopefully....

That would very similar to what I believe and hope for as well. Assuming cases fall Government should look to moving to Level 4 in mid February then Level 3 after Paddys day.

Schools will definitely go on past the 31st, though I reckon they'll try again to bring LC students back at the beginning of February with potential for exams to start a bit later as well.

Gyms should definitely be allowed open sooner or at the same time as "non essential retail". They are imo a more controled environment, as was evident with the chaos seen in shops over the Xmas.

With the non food pubs it's a hard one to call, if Nphet/tony have their way, which they seem to, it could be after the summer at the very least I think.

I'm sort of over the whole pubs/shops being closed at this stage but the 5km/county limit is what I'm struggling with and disagree with the most. I'd like to think this will to be the last time it's imposed. Think we got a week of nation wide travel since the October lockdown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,642 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In some ways it doesn't really "end" OP.

The virus will never be eliminated in our lifetimes.

Some changes will be permanent like mask wearing in certain indoor environments, cultural changes in dining out, in my opinion "wet pubs" will never reopen, social distancing measures in shopping venues (although I see this being relaxed in 2022), distancing in work places, those plastic barriers separating customers from till operators etc etc etc...

Yearly vaccinations for everybody is a real possibility already flagged in the UK and other countries.

People won't notice the changes as much as they would have last year because they are now so use to it.

The world has changed in many ways from January 2020.

Although it is important to point out that many things haven't changed. When we can do away with tough restrictions the above are just irritants for most people but inconsequential overall.

Some changes will be permanent like mask wearing in certain indoor environments, cultural changes in dining out, "wet pubs" will never reopen, social distancing measures in shopping venues (although I see this being relaxed in 2022), distancing in work places, those plastic barriers separating customers from till operators etc etc etc...

People won't notice the changes as much as they would have last year because they are now so use to it.

Complete nonsense.
    Sounds more like a wish list than anything else.

Masks will come off or eventually people will just stop using them. Wet pubs will open and be busier than ever. Social distancing will be forgotten about.

Most of us will be delighted to get on with it again.
    Some will clearly need some level of counselling to accept reality has returned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

Complete nonsense.
    Sounds more like a wish list than anything else.

Masks will come off or eventually people will just stop using them. Wet pubs will open and be busier than ever. Social distancing will be forgotten about.

Most of us will be delighted to get on with it again.
    Some will clearly need some level of counselling to accept reality has returned.
    I'm beginning to think a fair amount will continue the mask wearing now,cuts down on flu and other stuff

I won't be one of them but it's getting ingrained with a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wesekn. wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think a fair amount will continue the mask wearing now,cuts down on flu and other stuff

I won't be one of them but it's getting ingrained with a lot of people

It's was always the case in Aisa, I remember travelling through Hong Kong airport in 2018 and many people were using them. Same with some Asians in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

snowcat wrote: »
    Cases are but we were not testing a year ago.

You can dispute this surely.
    But hospitalisations are way higher and rising sharply so it’s definitely more covid about.

It's was always the case in Aisa, I remember travelling through Hong Kong airport in 2018 and many people were using them. Same with some Asians in Australia.

The masks are a weird one

They mostly protect others

So will be interesting will people bother

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The masks are a weird one

They mostly protect others

So will be interesting will people bother

In Asia particularly masks are often worn to protect from pollution. Last time I was in Beijing I could feel the smog ripping the throat of me, if I’d had a mask I’d have worn it.

• Advertisement

Some changes will be permanent like mask wearing in certain indoor environments, cultural changes in dining out, in my opinion "wet pubs" will never reopen, social distancing measures in shopping venues (although I see this being relaxed in 2022), distancing in work places, those plastic barriers separating customers from till operators etc etc etc...

Yearly vaccinations for everybody is a real possibility already flagged in the UK and other countries.

Although it is important to point out that many things haven't changed. When we can do away with tough restrictions the above are just irritants for most people but inconsequential overall.

Yeah no you're alright thanks.

If yearly vaccination turns out to be necessary then fair enough. Aside from that we're back to normal next year. People have put up with plenty already, most of it necessary IMO as it happens, but once we're all vaccinated we move on with our lives.

Masks in winter are a good idea overall. Obviously it's an abhorrent attack on liberty apparently so it won't be mandated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Haraldkare

What we see as normal will only be seen on 'Reeling In The Years'.

There will be different variants every year and we will be swinging between levels (probably renamed into colours)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,222 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

With vaccines now available will we be here In January 2022 with covid dominating the news headlines? I would love to know.

We 'll probably be talking about covid for the rest of our lives, so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Depends on whether or not there are no major side effects of the vaccines and if they are effective for long enough, but sometime in the autumn would be a good bet I say.

I don't see why anyone would think "wet pubs" won't ever reopen, especially in a country like Ireland, where, like the GAA they are such a huge part of our culture, and are the lifeblood of many rural communities.

UI_Paddy wrote:
    I don't see why anyone would think "wet pubs" won't ever reopen, especially in a country like Ireland, where, like the GAA they are such a huge part of our culture, and are the lifeblood of many rural communities.

Oh they'll reopen alright, But being a 'huge part of our culture', isn't exactly something to be proud of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

It is expected there will be new variants similar to the flu but not quite as frequent (yearly). However, i somewhat disagree (having previously worked in a related field), i think the potential is there to eradicate but thus would depend on how fast we roll out a vaccine. The Oxford vaccine would be a huge game changer,fingers crossed it is approved and safe. When this occurs we(world) need to go 24/7 on aggressive roll out . I think europe will be in a good place by July, however from then the danger is with "3rd world" nations and potential mutations. The virus just wants to live and actually means no harm and will do everything it can to do so. Some viruses also falter and die out, i am hopeful of this scenario. Brighter days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

It is expected there will be new variants similar to the flu but not quite as frequent (yearly). However, i somewhat disagree (having previously worked in a related field), i think the potential is there to eradicate but thus would depend on how fast we roll out a vaccine. The Oxford vaccine would be a huge game changer,fingers crossed it is approved and safe. When this occurs we(world) need to go 24/7 on aggressive roll out . I think europe will be in a good place by July, however from then the danger is with "3rd world" nations and potential mutations. The virus just wants to live and actually means no harm and will do everything it can to do so. Some viruses also falter and die out, i am hopeful of this scenario. Brighter days ahead

Yeah, while we're sorting ourselves out the virus will continue to be rampant in poorer countries. New and deadlier mutations could very easily seep across the borders and **** us up all over again.

Tig98 wrote: »
    Yeah, while we're sorting ourselves out the virus will continue to be rampant in poorer countries. New and deadlier mutations could very easily seep across the borders and **** us up all over again.

Rolling travel restrictions will probably come into play when we achieve herd immunity here and life returns to normal

Blocking travel to and from poorer countries will be a feature as new strains arise

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

In the scenario where ireland is vaccinated, what is the risk / exposure allowing travel from less vaccinated countries?

Would it mean people in contact with covid positive people have a 10% chance of contracting it still?

If a vaccinated person does contract it does the vaccine allow them just be be a carrier but asymptotic and eliminates the side effects that required hospitalisation?

Basic questions but the communications on what protections the different vaccines will provide have been a bit lacking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Chivito550 wrote: »
    1.25 million people in the Republic of Ireland are obese. All these people are 'at risk' , as much as people like to ignore it.

I'll do my bit for old people. Obese people can **** off

carq wrote: »
    In the scenario where ireland is vaccinated, what is the risk / exposure allowing travel from less vaccinated countries?

Would it mean people in contact with covid positive people have a 10% chance of contracting it still?

If a vaccinated person does contract it does the vaccine allow them just be be a carrier but asymptotic and eliminates the side effects that required hospitalisation?

Basic questions but the communications on what protections the different vaccines will provide have been a bit lacking

News strains will proliferate in the poorer countries

We'll have to block them until we know more about the strains, economic cost of this is low

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I'll do my bit for old people. Obese people can **** off

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

What are you basing your opinion on that wet pubs will never reopen ever again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

News strains will proliferate in the poorer countries

We'll have to block them until we know more about the strains, economic cost of this is low

This virus isn't mutating much, it mutates and probably has done thousands if not 100's of thousands of times already. We see the UK variant as being a lot more transmissible but it looks like it makes people shed more virus and so this is the scenario. Remember the time of year, in general peoples immune system is weaker, you may feel fine but your body is working harder. Personally i think the new variants(in the spotlight)are not more deadly (there is an SA one). I think the main risk for a more deadly variant would come via a zoonotic transmission. Usually would occur on big farms, unhygienic markets or 3rd world - hygiene issues etc. Regardless , everybody needs to adhere to guidelines until we are out of this! Stay well

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Interesting question and I fear the answer is 2022. I say this because I've come to the conclusion we've lost the battle. Yesterday it was reported we now have the shocking distinction of having the highest levels of new Covid-19 cases in Europe.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-has-worst-coronavirus-infection-rate-in-europe-1062214.html

If we recall, for weeks before Christmas the narrative from Government was how wonderful we all were, no 1 in Europe for surpressing the virus, indeed if it was the eurovision, we'd have won hands down, even if Dustin had gone a second time. Of course Christmas shopping frenzy occurred and the rest is history.

Meanwhile the vaccine role out started, well perhaps stalled a better discription. Can it be true that almost a year into this the incompetence of the HSE is at an all time high? IT systems not only unable to report case numbers but now it seems vaccine dosage far to complicated and apparently recording being done manually (they we're warned in early 2019 this could be an issue), Paul Reid apparently blaming recent surges for their IT woes, just extraordinary how this spoofer has lasted in charge, this long. But wait, the new Secretary General of the department of health @ €292k PA will sort everything out? Just beyond disgusting.

Today the Irish Times reporting we could see 100 deaths a day.

The hospital admissions system has essentially collapsed, private hospitals (again) drafted in. Its simply beggers belief our hospital system can not cope with 1400 additional patients, let's not forget theirs NO flu epidemic this year.

To surmise, the grim reality is that even with a vaccine roll out, with shocking new case numbers, it's going to take months to catch up. This Virus has by all accounts become more transmissible and ironically we've actually to find out if the vaccines actual work. (let's hope they do)

2022 looking like a reasonable estimate, tragic as it seems.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 johnboy1298

Why?

If a person cant control their own eating and do a bit of exercise and actually take responsibility to look after their own health that's their problem not anyone else's.

If a person cant control their own eating and do a bit of exercise and actually take responsibility to look after their own health that's their problem not anyone else's.

obesity is actually a complex psychological issue, do you feel the same about people that have other complex psychological issues and disorders?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    obesity is actually a complex psychological issue, do you feel the same about people that have other complex psychological issues and disorders?

Similar opinions trotted out in relation to addictions and mental health

Lack of awareness

• Advertisement

Similar opinions trotted out in relation to addictions and mental health

Lack of awareness

more ignorance than anything, and unwillingness to accept their own ignorance's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement