Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

BiggJim wrote: »
    Honestly think 2025 before there's any semblance of normality.

True. For you. Everyone else will be back to normal long before that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

polesheep wrote: »
    True. For you. Everyone else will be back to normal long before that.

Won't affect me, I've Portugal booked for May. By the sounds of it we'll still be in level 5 here at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

There's a lot.of shock out there at the realization that vaccines are no panacea and this is going to be along drawn out affair

Tbh and it's cynical. I'm tired of the curtain twitchers and the long covid merchants.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a bit of unrest and riots even round Europe to shake up the system

There too many sheep out there and it's time they were put back into their pens

Hmob wrote: »
    There's a lot.of shock out there at the realization that vaccines are no panacea and this is going to be along drawn out affair

Tbh and it's cynical. I'm tired of the curtain twitchers and the long covid merchants.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing a bit of unrest and riots even round Europe to shake up the system

There too many sheep out there and it's time they were put back into their pens

Wish the vaccines did just work tbh but if the rest are anything like Astrozenca they're a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

it could go on til 2025 if people sit back and let it? people need to call out jornalists and tv media people on ott scaremnongering when risk has gone come june. like i say those personalities dont like being nailed on such things as they are always grasping and snivelling for moral high ground, they are off no moral standing at all and will get carried along with any woke/mental health/cancer and now covid stance they think will make them popular and keep there head in the news basically make themselves employable or worthy of being seen/heard.

when public opinion calls them out there like rats bailing off whatever bandwagon there on latest. tubridy, darcy,duffy ,george lee and rte news media in general would first on the hit list for this followed by matt cooper. call them out. even if it means ringing joe duffy to tell him to his face so sto speak same with tubridy and darcy, they will do some squirming then. to a lesser degree the government needs that treatment if they pprolong restrictions beyond reasonable risk, like the media they will squirm too particularly leo, harris and donnelly, they know they need this gravy train as a TD for another few years before getting the golden ticket and riding into sunshine. there the ones that need manners put on them if they act the maggot.

currently i actaullay agree with current restriction but after 70+ are done , all bets are off.

• Advertisement

Wish the vaccines did just work tbh but if the rest are anything like Astrozenca they're a waste of time.

They're not a waste and neither is Astra Zenica. They work. All of them stop people from getting seriously ill. Snap out of it!

polesheep wrote: »
    They're not a waste and neither is Astra Zenica. They work. All of them stop people from getting seriously ill. Snap out of it!

Tbh if I can get away on holidays and have a normalish holiday this year and next year (if level 5 goes that long) I'll be happy enough. I just need some decent weather for a week or two.

Aux barricades!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Tbh if I can get away on holidays and have a normalish holiday this year and next year (if level 5 goes that long) I'll be happy enough. I just need some decent weather for a week or two.

I'm booked for NY for two weeks in June. This is what we need to do.

Mr. Karate wrote: »

I hope they don't bring in this 2k fine in the meantime. Don't paying a token fee of 200 but 2k is another story altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is a lot of exaggeration and general nonsense in this thread and half baked nonsense is dangerous.
    Vaccine availability in the summer will be 4 times what it is now, not least because there will be 5 or 6 approved vaccines. The 60% of adults could be vaccinated from mid May to September and every adult by Halloween, but one quarter of people will already be done by May.
    There are a lot of statements like restrictions will continue until 2023 or whatever, then statements like there will no semblance of normality until then. The two things are not the same, there will be restrictions, you'll have to be vaccinated and/or have a test to fly in all probability. Some events will be restricted for some time. You'll be tested if visiting an old people's home. If there is an outbreak somewhere then that district might have more for a period. But most things will be usual enough most of the time if people behave responsibly.

There is a lot of exaggeration and general nonsense in this thread and half baked nonsense is dangerous.
    Vaccine availability in the summer will be 4 times what it is now, not least because there will be 5 or 6 approved vaccines. The 60% of adults could be vaccinated from mid May to September and every adult by Halloween, but one quarter of people will already be done by May.
    There are a lot of statements like restrictions will continue until 2023 or whatever, then statements like there will no semblance of normality until then. The two things are not the same, there will be restrictions, you'll have to be vaccinated and/or have a test to fly in all probability. Some events will be restricted for some time. You'll be tested if visiting an old people's home. If there is an outbreak somewhere then that district might have more for a period. But most things will be usual enough most of the time if people behave responsibly.

I wouldn't hold my breath on vaccines being the answer, they merely reduce symptoms and you can still transmit the virus. Not to mention the fact that one of them has been effectively ruled as useless against variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭SweetSand

I hope you do realise that unless US restrictions re anyone being in EU 2 weeks prior the flight are lifted - you won’t be let on that flight :( (unless you have US passport or green card of course). Those restrictions are in since last March and as much as I would love to see them lifted - I don’t see it happening until much later in the year at the very best :(((

Hmob wrote: »
    Most of them already getting on with life id say

They aren’t though. College students stuck at home with their parents, things like Arts, Accountancy, Law etc. no practical component so all classes online. There is no getting on with their lives awful for these poor kids. Hopefully things will open up for them and they’ll get back on campus.

And for kids in primary and secondary school same thing, no face to face classes, no social interaction, the fall out and loss of time for them.. Huge loss, need to get them back to education now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The only way this will end is when every tom, dick and harry stop running for a test with a runny nose, that's the only way out off all this BS!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its seems like the only way out. They just got word that the money is running out and they still want to continue this insanity. Maybe when the money runs dry and the EU can't give another bailout they'll cop on, but that seems unlikely at this stage.

The EU are not giving us a bailout. We are contributing to bailing out the other countries. To the tune of 16bn. We are giving them 19bn altogether and they will give us back 3bn with conditions on how to spend it. The deal of the century.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1317940/EU-news-Ireland-European-coronavirus-recovery-fund-budget-latest-update/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The situation is ****ed. The Government are talking about keeping us locked down until the summer. The opposition want to keep us more locked down for this zero covid folly. The media are trying to keep the panic going to keep the covid ad revenue flowing. The garda are trying to stop people leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

The situation is ****ed. The Government are talking about keeping us locked down until the summer. The opposition want to keep us more locked down for this zero covid folly. The media are trying to keep the panic going to keep the covid ad revenue flowing. The garda are trying to stop people leaving the country.

Government are so pro lockdown it is scary and then you have the opposition who want zero covid, you are absolutely correct.

It is really grim atm and not one person in the wider government circles, public health etc is showing any sign of drawing a line in the sand with vaccinations and then lifting all restrictions. Media just pumping put more fear, scare stories and Prime Time specials to scare the rear ends off all the sheep out there. It continues to work.

It is a nightmare to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

The problem is we won't be locked down with a goal in achieving "zero covid", because they'll still allow flights in,

So that's the part of the whole "plan" thats going to piss people off.

But I suppose when you think about it, we do have fianna fail in government, what else could we expect only gross negligence on their part.

gansi wrote: »
    They aren’t though. College students stuck at home with their parents, things like Arts, Accountancy, Law etc. no practical component so all classes online. There is no getting on with their lives awful for these poor kids. Hopefully things will open up for them and they’ll get back on campus.

And for kids in primary and secondary school same thing, no face to face classes, no social interaction, the fall out and loss of time for them.. Huge loss, need to get them back to education now

Depression, anger, frustration, more depression, irrational behaviour, weight gain, screen addiction, more anger and more frustration.

That is all I am seeing from teenagers, students and many younger kids. Some coping better than others but we living in a very sick and selfish society at the moment where we let's face are prepared to damage the well being of our kids to protect a very small section of society who have already had a good go at life and who could easily be protected and isolated.

• Advertisement

The problem is we won't be locked down with a goal in achieving "zero covid", because they'll still allow flights in,

So that's the part of the whole "plan" thats going to piss people off.

But I suppose when you think about it, we do have fianna fail in government, what else could we expect only gross negligence on their part.

Zero covid is now impossible bar never ending draconian restrictions and entirely closed and locked borders forever and anyone even talking about it is so off the wall I genuinely worry for them. It is so devoid of any shred of reality that it shows not only a lack of understanding but a total basic grasp of the meaning of two words, endemic virus....

Anyone even mentioning it as a realistic option needs to be taken to one side and have a basic lesson in virology and explained a few home truths. So incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Depression, anger, frustration, more depression, irrational behaviour, weight gain, screen addiction, more anger and more frustration.

That is all I am seeing from teenagers, students and many younger kids. Some coping better than others but we living in a very sick and selfish society at the moment where we let's face are prepared to damage the well being of our kids to protect a very small section of society who have already had a good go at life and who could easily be protected and isolated.

Depression in their parents too, those of us who see this farce for what it is. Helpless to do anything about the asylum we currently live in. Best I can do is buy the plane ticket out, I just wish I could go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

gansi wrote: »

Those with practical components have also been cancelled since the new year. A complete mockery of education, there should refunds of fees and the option to repeat the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Hmob

Government are so pro lockdown it is scary and then you have the opposition who want zero covid, you are absolutely correct.

It is really grim atm and not one person in the wider government circles, public health etc is showing any sign of drawing a line in the sand with vaccinations and then lifting all restrictions. Media just pumping put more fear, scare stories and Prime Time specials to scare the rear ends off all the sheep out there. It continues to work.

Not sure about all that

Media and government are definitely poor in all this

Government are waffling their way through this and buying time atm, don't know why they're even bothering with a plan as it's not going to be definitive

Irish media, hmm what can you say about them, no critical thinking whatsoever

SweetSand wrote: »
    I hope you do realise that unless US restrictions re anyone being in EU 2 weeks prior the flight are lifted - you won’t be let on that flight :( (unless you have US passport or green card of course). Those restrictions are in since last March and as much as I would love to see them lifted - I don’t see it happening until much later in the year at the very best :(((

My brother from New York rang last night. He thought he'd take a trip home at Easter to see my Mum who is very elderly. There are no restrictions to leaving the US. He couldn't believe what he heard about our restrictions here in Ireland for no end in sight at all. While I agree with inward flights restrictions I don't agree that Irish citizens cannot leave Ireland as long as they have a PCR test and quarantine for 14 days on return.

The uncertainty here is unbelievable. Listening to Michael Martin on Newstalk now and he is stuttering and and stammering his way through an interview. He sounds so unsure and so uncertain. No confidence in any of this. He is being allowed waffle on and on saying absolutely nothing at all.
    He says they''ll let us know more on 20th February..........................???

My brother from New York rang last night. He thought he'd take a trip home at Easter to see my Mum who is very elderly. There are no restrictions to leaving the US. He couldn't believe what he heard about our restrictions here in Ireland for no end in sight at all. While I agree with inward flights restrictions I don't agree that Irish citizens cannot leave Ireland as long as they have a PCR test and quarantine for 14 days on return.

The uncertainty here is unbelievable. Listening to Michael Martin on Newstalk now and he is stuttering and and stammering his way through an interview. He sounds so unsure and so uncertain. No confidence in any of this. He is being allowed waffle on and on saying absolutely nothing at all.
    He says they''ll let us know more on 20th February..........................???

There is no ban on anyone leaving the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

There is a massive gap in politics at the moment. No parties putting forward a counter lockdown strategy. I see space for a far-right party to grow in this environment. Government will only have themselves to blame.

bubblypop wrote: »
    There is no ban on anyone leaving the country

Can I go and see my sick sister in the UK without paying €2000 fine. To me that is a ban. I don't have an extra €2K/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I wouldn't hold my breath on vaccines being the answer, they merely reduce symptoms and you can still transmit the virus. Not to mention the fact that one of them has been effectively ruled as useless against variants.

they do reduce transmission of the virus, further research is needed to establish by exactly how much.

People getting the jab near the end may well be getting one tweaked to deal with the common variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mastroianni

ahha jeez they are playing with fire...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement