Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Absolute bollix talk about the vaccine.. The first part i agree but any decent human being would understand wanting to be with their families after a tough year, especially when the government threatened to shut up shop afterwards. People took the small window of opportunity. Human nature. That was the real reason.

BTW i am in no way condoning what happened at xmas.

Human nature is right, that is why we are in a 3rd lockdown and people already clammering to get out of it.

People saw vaccines being given out to some old people in the UK, and thought to themselves, 'Ah sure the pandemic is more or less over now'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

markodaly wrote: »
    Human nature is right, that is why we are in a 3rd lockdown and people already clammering to get out of it.

People saw vaccines being given out to some old people in the UK, and thought to themselves, 'Ah sure the pandemic is more or less over now'

Not really. I meet a lot of people every day as i deal with the public regarding my work. No , that isn’t the narrative about the vaccines. I don’t believe many people think that at all. They think it’s the beginning of the end and rightly so. But i think because of your arrogance you believe the former.

Yeah we had a third lockdown because we had no vaccines administered. Why do you find that hard to understand? Lets fast forward to the last quarter of the year. If the target is met there will be no 4th lockdown. You’re comparing apples to oranges , the past with no vaccines vs a future with vaccines. You seem to keep doing that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So what's the end game? If not mass vaccination, then what?

The ‘is there anything to be said for another Mass’ vaccination?

Dunno.

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I can sense a near disappointment in a large enough cohort that lockdowns look near over, so quick to point to reasons why it’s not the case.

Could you be anymore pessimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I can sense a near disappointment in a large enough cohort that lockdowns look near over, so quick to point to reasons why it’s not the case.

Could you be anymore pessimistic?

I know there’s loads of positive reinforcement for saying stuff like this, but it’s too cheap and too easy to dismiss other opinions as people who just like lockdowns.

Look back over the last few pages. You’ll find people who have been very selective about the information they have taken in about the situation. Some people have said they were told the vaccine would mean the whole thing would go back to normal when the vaccine was administered so the old and vulnerable. I’ve asked a few of them who told them that was the case and none have been able to remember specifically who told them and one has openly shown how he misrepresented something Leo said - they completely ignored the caveats in what was actually said and didn’t seem to notice until after they posted the quote.

Instead of only listening to things we want to hear (the most positive news) and dismissing anyone else for reasons like you’ve done in the post above, we should at least listen to what everyone is saying. Some things are just guff, but the actual experts have a range of opinions which is worth knowing about.

If you start dismissing people because they have opinions you don’t like, then you will end up with a skewed view of what’s happening and then have no idea why things didn’t work out as you hoped.

Believe it or not, after Leo’s interview with the IT this week, someone in this thread told me that Leo doesn’t know anything that we don’t know. That’s way too cheap to dismiss opinions we don’t like. Much more useful to know what’s being said and take on board the range of opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

When the public servants are good and ready

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

From what im hearing there will be periods of lowered restrictions and returns to level 5 (as needed) up untill 2025.

BiggJim wrote: »
    From what im hearing there will be periods of lowered restrictions and returns to level 5 (as needed) up untill 2025.

Lol, have you a link for that bolloxology,?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Lol, have you a link for that bolloxology,?

That chap is fixated on 2025

I have tackled your condescending arrogant replies but you deflect with your replies. Anyway we don’t agree but we can keep going in cirlcles if you like. You see once again you are saying i have something against lockdowns . I don’t. I know they are necessary. I was talking about SD. When people are vaccinated and they see it keeps disease low SD will go out the window so stop replying with an argument that i’m not even arguing about. We get it. We know you don’t want to see things open up or travelling for years to come.

I want everything to open as soon as possible, once it's safe to do so.
    The keyword is safe.

There are some who want to reject all the scientific advice, the advice from the likes of the WHO, ECDC, the CDC to name a few because they (a layman with no scientific training or qualifications) apparently know what's best... now THAT is arrogant.

• Advertisement

The keyword is safe.

There are some who want to reject all the scientific advice, the advice from the likes of the WHO, ECDC, the CDC to name a few because they (a layman with no scientific training or qualifications) apparently know what's best... now THAT is arrogant.

I agree with what you're saying. You'd swear we were relishing in the lockdowns just because we are cautious. It would be utter insanity to open back up with numbers as high as they are at the minute.

The keyword is safe.

I’m not disagreeing with that. I certainly don’t want opening up unless it‘s safe to do so.

Arrogance comes in a lot of different forms.

Not really. I meet a lot of people every day as i deal with the public regarding my work. No , that isn’t the narrative about the vaccines. I don’t believe many people think that at all. They think it’s the beginning of the end and rightly so. But i think because of your arrogance you believe the former.

Yeah we had a third lockdown because we had no vaccines administered. Why do you find that hard to understand? Lets fast forward to the last quarter of the year. If the target is met there will be no 4th lockdown. You’re comparing apples to oranges , the past with no vaccines vs a future with vaccines. You seem to keep doing that for some reason.

We had a third lockdown because people went mad over the Christmas period and flouted the rules in large numbers. That is the nub of it. Pictures on the BBC of old people getting vaccines made people lax and people took more risks.
    That has now come back to bite us.

So, what is the target?
    The target as per the WHO, ECDC and CDC are very low case numbers. Vaccines will help us get there, but it wont do it on its own.

I agree with what you're saying. You'd swear we were relishing in the lockdowns just because we are cautious. It would be utter insanity to open back up with numbers as high as they are at the minute.

Agree, but now the shift in focus from some is not about case numbers per day being X, but the number of old people vaccinated is Y.... so we should open it all up and hope for the best.... once Y is reached in the next few months

Been there, bought the t-shirt, twice! Didn't end well

We had a third lockdown because people went mad over the Christmas period and flouted the rules in large numbers. That is the nub of it. Pictures on the BBC of old people getting vaccines made people lax and people took more risks.
    That has now come back to bite us.

So, what is the target?
    The target as per the WHO, ECDC and CDC are very low case numbers. Vaccines will help us get there, but it wont do it on its own.

Where did i disagree about xmas? I already have said and agreed with the cause. So i’m not sure why you keep posting to me that argument.

However comparing xmas 2020 vs 2021 could be comparing apples to oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Not this year IMHO.

We have all lost a year of our lives but 1 thing we could do is let kids have that year of education back.
    So say kids who started 3rd class in Sept 2020, start 3rd class again in Sept 2021

Where did i disagree about xmas? I already have said and agreed with the cause. So i’m not sure why you keep posting to me that argument.

However comparing xmas 2020 vs 2021 could be comparing apples to oranges.

Could, could also be the same.

Could, could also be the same.

If the vaccines work we’ll know by then. I suspect things will be a lot different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I just want to experience normal life again

I want to be able to do things that give my life joy and pursue things I enjoy. I want to be able to look forward to tomorrow and have a plan. I want to maybe even try meet someone after breaking up with my ex back in August. I want to feel like I have hope. I want agency in my life. I want to feel something inside. Something truly cathartic.

This has become so desperately unfair. Life decisions have been taken away from us. We are being mollycoddled and worn down into submission. 1 year of a half existence. Life is precious. Valuable time is being lost and for what? There's huge problems coming. I really believe that. The inequality that will emerge after this pandemic will be the tipping point in Europe. Maybe not Ireland but big changes are coming.

The
    Road
    To
    Hell
    Is
    Paved
    With
    Good
    Intentions

Agree, but now the shift in focus from some is not about case numbers per day being X, but the number of old people vaccinated is Y.... so we should open it all up and hope for the best.... once Y is reached in the next few months

Been there, bought the t-shirt, twice! Didn't end well

Personally don't think there's any point coming out of level 5. It'll be near the end of summer by the time it's appropriate to do so and at that stage we'd be as well going back into tighter restrictions facing into the winter months. I think we'd be as well sticking with level 5 untill after next winter when everyone is vaccinated hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

In another few weeks the daily numbers wont matter whatsoever and we will get on with our lives. All that matters will be hospital numbers.

Once hospital numbers are around same number as the flu we will be back open which will look likely with the vaccine.

Another 8 weeks till this madness is over.

In another few weeks the daily numbers wont matter whatsoever and we will get on with our lives. All that matters will be hospital numbers.

Once hospital numbers are around same number as the flu we will be back open.

Another 8 weeks till this madness is over.

What planet are you living on? Daily numbers absolutely will matter, if we're lucky they might drop substantially in the next 2 months but if everyone goes out and takes the piss again like last time we'll end up with worse numbers than ever before on the 4th wave.

What planet are you living on? Daily numbers absolutely will matter, if we're lucky they might drop substantially in the next 2 months but if everyone goes out and takes the piss again like last time we'll end up with worse numbers than ever before on the 4th wave.

So we should shut up shop with high daily numbers even though the vunerable will be vaccinated and barely anyone in hospital?

That's not going to happen. When cases are high and hospital numbers low we are good.

I want to be able to do things that give my life joy and pursue things I enjoy. I want to be able to look forward to tomorrow and have a plan. I want to maybe even try meet someone after breaking up with my ex back in August. I want to feel like I have hope. I want agency in my life. I want to feel something inside. Something truly cathartic.

This has become so desperately unfair. Life decisions have been taken away from us. We are being mollycoddled and worn down into submission. 1 year of a half existence. Life is precious. Valuable time is being lost and for what? There's huge problems coming. I really believe that. The inequality that will emerge after this pandemic will be the tipping point in Europe. Maybe not Ireland but big changes are coming.

The
    Road
    To
    Hell
    Is
    Paved
    With
    Good
    Intentions

I was talking to a woman today. She is stuck in the house. She can’t see her friends. Her business shut down. You could tell she was anxious. Sad the whole situation. I do feel a lot of empathy for these people…

I have been very lucky. The lockdown has hardly affected my everyday life. Because of my work the 5km doesn’t apply to me and i can carry on with my work. I don’t feel like i’m in lockdown at all. I deal with the public and i meet a lot of people everyday you can see a lot of stress out there and people getting fed up.

Also i’m lucky enough that my partner lives on her own so she can support bubble with my household so i can visit her even though she lives 10km away.

The only problem i have is i can’t see my family abroad.

tupenny wrote: »
    Not this year IMHO.

We have all lost a year of our lives but 1 thing we could do is let kids have that year of education back.
    So say kids who started 3rd class in Sept 2020, start 3rd class again in Sept 2021

Not a hope that will happen. its only primary school.

Once you can read and do basic math your good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I know some don't want to hear it but this is a long term problem measured in years, not months.

Whilst restrictions will ease we will be dealing with this disease for a long time with on and off restrictions, annual vaccinations for everyone and all the side changes like social distancing, mask wearing etc which are part of the new normal going forward in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I was talking to a woman today. She is stuck in the house. She can’t see her friends. Her business shut down. You could tell she was anxious. Sad the whole situation. I do feel a lot of empathy for these people…

I have been very lucky. The lockdown has hardly affected my everyday life. Because of my work the 5km doesn’t apply to me and i can carry on with my work. I don’t feel like i’m in lockdown at all. I deal with the public and i meet a lot of people everyday you can see a lot of stress out there and people getting fed up.

Also i’m lucky enough that my partner lives on her own so she can support bubble with my household so i can visit her even though she lives 10km away.

The only problem i have is i can’t see my family abroad.

It's sad. Really sad. I see an anger developing. People are conflicted. We are all thinkers; I'd imagine people on Boards tend to reflect and ponder more. But everyday people they want to do what's best and support preserving lives but they're now facing a real internal divide about what is the end goal. When is the end goal. And what are the negative consequences.

Do 70 plus year olds really want kids out of school deprived of social interaction? I honestly feel so sorry for them. I normally feel more selfish but I find myself thinking of people younger than me and really feeling for what they're enduring. Of course I have my own needs and wants too but like you I've spoken to people from all walks of life and their spirits are crushed. We cannot continue like this. Its emotionally draining and damaging. Life is suffering. The Covid lockdowns are a testament and a test to how we deal with that, but there comes a time when we have to do what is best for the greater good.

Is there not a better solution especially in the midst of more and more vaccinations. Surely old people can just retreat safe in the knowledge a vaccine is coming. It's what they should be doing as it is but just make absolutely certain that everything is done so that swathes of elderly aren't exposing themselves to the risks.

It's like a sick game. I of course know it isn't. But it's hard at times not to think that sometimes this is all a ploy to see how far they can push us and dictate to us. This is what happens to your mind when you're living in a world where the main media outlet puts out programmes and news stories out thar continuously just reaffirm the sob stories. As if a deadly pandemic should need a narrative. It should be evident to us.

Why does it feel that people seem to nearly want their fears about Covid confirmed rather than embrace all evidence?

Again, this is an EU wide/global phenomenon, its not just Ireland but the communication has turned dreadful. The lack of agency is shocking.

The
    Road
    To
    Hell
    Is
    Paved
    With
    Good
    Intentions

Good post. Funny thing you’re not the first to say that inequality is coming down the line big time and with the inevitable fallout. Hope you are both wrong but tbh it’s not looking great, the sooner we open the better. But hey is anyone listening ??

I know some don't want to hear it but this is a long term problem measured in years, not months.

Whilst restrictions will ease we will be dealing with this disease for a long time.

Opinions are like assholes everone’s got one. Afterall they are all just opinions from some randon internet posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Look to forward to telling your kids how lucky they are not to have lived through the great "Stay at Home".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement