Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

markodaly wrote: »
    I want everything to open as soon as possible, once it's safe to do so.
    The keyword is safe.

There are some who want to reject all the scientific advice, the advice from the likes of the WHO, ECDC, the CDC to name a few because they (a layman with no scientific training or qualifications) apparently know what's best... now THAT is arrogant.

Safe. What the hell are you talking about? Life isn't safe. Living is a risky business.

Do you think you're going to live 'safely' forever?

It's unsafe to keep children home from school, to exclude them from sports. It's unsafe to isolate teenagers, young adults and twenty somethings.

For anyone under 45, traveling by road is 4 times more dangerous than covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I know some don't want to hear it but this is a long term problem measured in years, not months.

Whilst restrictions will ease we will be dealing with this disease for a long time with on and off restrictions, annual vaccinations for everyone and all the side changes like social distancing, mask wearing etc which are part of the new normal going forward in my view.
    While I don't believe the virus is going away any time soon, I do believe that a combination of vaccines and various treatments will reduce it in severity to something like flu or a bad cold.

The thing I'm worried about is that even if it reduced to levels below flu in both numbers and severity, those in positions of power will still use it to control the lives of people even though there's no rational basis for it. Once power is gained, it is slow to be given up. The government for example, coming up to election day can ease up restrictions, allow a concert to go ahead and so forth. On other days they can be "worried" about rising numbers and reimpose them. And for the most part the people will go along with it and accept it as reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I know some don't want to hear it but this is a long term problem measured in years, not months.

Whilst restrictions will ease we will be dealing with this disease for a long time with on and off restrictions, annual vaccinations for everyone and all the side changes like social distancing, mask wearing etc which are part of the new normal going forward in my view.

You’re clearly a WUM. Lol. Social distancing going forward part of the new normal? :pac:

So if we permanently have SD how are people able to form relationships and procreate?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

Covid has/will replace cancer as the second biggest killer in the US. Think about that for a second, a disease no one in the world had just 14 months ago has gotten to that level.
    Realistically the death toll is 2/3 times what is reported officially worldwide. Life, whether we like it or not, has changed irrevocably compared to 2019. We have just seen in Ireland what happens if you give any chance to this virus to spread.
    I know people are getting fed up (I am) but this disease is and will be unrelenting so we need to accept a diminished quality of life until vaccination is completed for a large enough percentage of the population. It’s not what anyone wants, but all we do know is that, with no restrictions, a lot of people (of all ages) will get very sick, very quickly.
    I could maybe understand the ‘**** it, I’ve had enough’ attitude if there were no vaccination roll out imminent, but not now when we are so close.
    There’s a cognitive bias present as people try to justify getting back to 2019 lives, which is understandable but is part of the reason why we can’t control the spread of Covid fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You’re clearly a WUM. Lol. Social distancing going forward part of the new normal? :pac:

So if we permanently have SD how are people able to form relationships and procreate?

He's only repeating the propaganda of his masters - 'new normal', 'social distancing is here to stay'.

It can no more be enforced than an order to hop on one foot from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Tellyium wrote: »
    I could maybe understand the ‘**** it, I’ve had enough’ attitude if there were no vaccination roll out imminent, but not now when we are so close.

Exactly. It's mind-blowing how exceptionally lucky we are to even have a vaccine at our disposal. There was no guarantee of that a year ago, not even close. We are at the point in every classic Hollywood film now where the main character has suffered setback after setback and is on the verge of giving up when he sees some sort of symbolic light at the end of the tunnel. There is a way out of this. We just need to wait for that day to come. The alternative (a world without a vaccine) is indescribably worse.

The amazing thing is if every particle of the virus in the world was rounded up they are so small they would all fit in to an empty can of coke!

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2021/0211/1196561-covid-maths/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The amazing thing is if every particle of the virus in the world was rounded up they are so small they would all fit in to an empty can of coke!

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2021/0211/1196561-covid-maths/

And zero COVID people would be telling people not to drink other fizzy drinks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Opinions are like assholes everone’s got one. Afterall they are all just opinions from some randon internet posters.

If every post on boards is just an opinion, then that sentiment applies to, pretty much, all posts. So why did you choose to dismiss the content of this post and tell them it’s only their opinion? Why not the numerous posts to the effect of “we need to open up sooner rather than later”?

The post you chose to do the “ Opinions are like assholes” joke for, was an opinion that you didn’t like. I doubt you feel the need to tell everyone who says the restrictions will be reduced and life will go back to normal in summer, that their opinion is like an asshole.

Lads, we can’t just listen to opinions that we like and dismiss those we don’t like. If you’ve been listening to the experts over the last year, and particularly since the new year, you’ll know that they are thinking about dealing with the effects of the pandemic in years (some even saying decades). The poster you quoted was reflecting the news at the moment, and you dismissed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Panrich

While I don't believe the virus is going away any time soon, I do believe that a combination of vaccines and various treatments will reduce it in severity to something like flu or a bad cold.

The thing I'm worried about is that even if it reduced to levels below flu in both numbers and severity, those in positions of power will still use it to control the lives of people even though there's no rational basis for it. Once power is gained, it is slow to be given up. The government for example, coming up to election day can ease up restrictions, allow a concert to go ahead and so forth. On other days they can be "worried" about rising numbers and reimpose them. And for the most part the people will go along with it and accept it as reasonable.

You’re surely right to say that there is no rational basis for continuing lockdown once the treatments and vaccines have been proven and delivered.
    From a purely economic perspective this is not a feasible long term policy solution. The government can’t continue to suppress economic activity once everyone has been vaccinated. They rely on tax income as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

If every post on boards is just an opinion, then that sentiment applies to, pretty much, all posts. So why did you choose to dismiss the content of this post and tell them it’s only their opinion? Why not the numerous posts to the effect of “we need to open up sooner rather than later”?

The post you chose to do the “ Opinions are like assholes” joke for, was an opinion that you didn’t like. I doubt you feel the need to tell everyone who says the restrictions will be reduced and life will go back to normal in summer, that their opinion is like an asshole.

Lads, we can’t just listen to opinions that we like and dismiss those we don’t like. If you’ve been listening to the experts over the last year, and particularly since the new year, you’ll know that they are thinking about dealing with the effects of the pandemic in years (some even saying decades). The poster you quoted was reflecting the news at the moment, and you dismissed them.

Has anyone denied we will be dealing with the after effects of the pandemic for years though ? Most people tend to agree that the virus will be in circulation for years and we will be repaying the enormous debt caused by restrictions for years. History does tend to repeat itself though and we weren’t dealing with decades of restrictions after far mor dangerous pandemics like Spanish flu.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Has anyone denied we will be dealing with the after effects of the pandemic for years though ? Most people tend to agree that the virus will be in circulation for years and we will be repaying the enormous debt caused by restrictions for years. History does tend to repeat itself though and we weren’t dealing with decades of restrictions after far mor dangerous pandemics like Spanish flu.

Yes. Read through this thread. Loads of people think we will vaccinate the vulnerable and go back to normal in the summer.

The poster i quoted, dismissed the notion that we will be dealing with it for years. How could you have quoted me and not read the quote embedded in that post?

Lots of people have been ignoring the news that it will go on for a long time and have only listened to opinions they want to hear - it’ll be over in a few months. Now it’s becoming clear that it won’t be over in a few months and those people are getting cross that the goalposts have shifted all of a sudden. The goalposts haven’t shifted all of a sudden, people are just now starting to hear opinions that they don’t want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Not a hope that will happen. its only primary school.

Once you can read and do basic math your good.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did anyone read the independent this morning, we won't have pubs open in Kerry until african villages are vaccinated. Restrictions are here to stay for the next 3/4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

BiggJim wrote: »
    Personally don't think there's any point coming out of level 5. It'll be near the end of summer by the time it's appropriate to do so and at that stage we'd be as well going back into tighter restrictions facing into the winter months. I think we'd be as well sticking with level 5 untill after next winter when everyone is vaccinated hopefully.

How do you plan on paying for this year long lockdown?

Lol, isn’t that exactly what my post said? Doesn’t it apply to every post “ everyone’s got one”. I did dismiss that particular post because there’s no way he could possibly know the outcome that far ahead especially when these very effective vaccines being rolled out. Further more those type post are so predictable from that particular poster because he’s a pessimist and a misery merchant. It’s what you’d expect. So i’d be more inclined to associate salt and a pinch in one sentence.

You do post such long waffle while dismissing posts that suit yourself too. My eyes hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

BiggJim wrote: »
    Personally don't think there's any point coming out of level 5. It'll be near the end of summer by the time it's appropriate to do so and at that stage we'd be as well going back into tighter restrictions facing into the winter months. I think we'd be as well sticking with level 5 untill after next winter when everyone is vaccinated hopefully.

You haven't really thought this one out, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'm at the stage now where I'm starting to think F the vulnerable. Who gives a F about me? This life is not worth living and no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

So we should shut up shop with high daily numbers even though the vunerable will be vaccinated and barely anyone in hospital?

That's not going to happen. When cases are high and hospital numbers low we are good.

Exactly. The metric the government are concerned with is numbers in hospitals and ICU. If you have 1,000 cases but zero hospital admissions, the government couldn't care less. 1,000 isolating at home makes no impact on the grand scheme of things. 1,000 cases with 150 of them being admitted to hospital does impact things.

The main concern of the government is not the number of cases, not the number of deaths, its that they don't get to a stage where hospitals are do over run that doctors have to make a choice between who gets a bed, a ventilator or treatment.

Once the elderly and infirm are vaccinated, this will lead to sharp decrease in hospitalizations and pressure on HSE, then you will see the restrictions being lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Uk narrative is now how soon can they open up rather than ours of how long we can lock down till.
    Be interesting when Ireland still has restrictions in winter, it'll be work Christmas party's up north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

ingo1984 wrote: »

Once the elderly and infirm are vaccinated, this will lead to sharp decrease in hospitalizations and pressure on HSE, then you will see the restrictions being lifted.

The worry is if the restrictions stay in place even with low infections. We could be in single figures and still have the gards at the airport doling out 2k fines.

mightyreds wrote: »
    Uk narrative is now how soon can they open up rather than ours of how long we can lock down till.
    Be interesting when Ireland still has restrictions in winter, it'll be work Christmas party's up north.

If that happened you’ll find a lot of young people emmigrating out of here looking for work in the UK. If the vaccines work and the UK opened up successfully Ireland would have no choice but to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Tazz T wrote: »

The worry is if the restrictions stay in place even with low infections. We could be in single figures and still have the gards at the airport doling out 2k fines.

Some one had it spot on earlier, power is very had given up and people are crazy suggesting in other threads that gards should be given power to enter houses to check for more than 6 people or 2 households or whatever.
    If that happened you’ll find a lot of young people emmigrating out of here looking for work in the UK. If the vaccines work and the UK opened up successfully Ireland would have no choice but to follow suit.

I see it already we work fully remote now, the amount of young people in the office that lived in greece most of last year. There's people of dual nationality already gone home as they have less restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Did anyone read the independent this morning, we won't have pubs open in Kerry until african villages are vaccinated. Restrictions are here to stay for the next 3/4 years.

The article is under premium content, but saw the headline. It’s correct to a point, in that this pandemic will continue globally for quite some time and it’s one of the main concerns the WHO have with fair vaccine distribution.

Still think we’ll be able to have relative domestic normality once we’ve vaccinated a critical mass, just might have to be stringent on border control, particularly from certain areas where the cases are still high.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tazz T wrote: »

Travel restrictions will be here for a long time only way to stop importing cases. Once we've gone down the quarantine road there isn't any way back until the world is vaccinated.

Travel restrictions will be here for a long time only way to stop importing cases. Once we've gone down the quarantine road there isn't any way back until the world is vaccinated.

To certain high risk countries quarantine will remain for sometime. Once we are all vaccinated you’ll find that travel corridors to other similiar vaccinated and low infection countries will begin. You’ll need proof of vaccination for sure etc.

The UK are planning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

The guys on here calling people misery merchants, lockdown champions, pessimists etc for simply suggesting they consider opinions other than ones they agree with remind me of Bertie back when we were about to have a soft landing....
    I find this thread fascinating.

W123-80's wrote: »
    The guys on here calling people misery merchants, lockdown champions, pessimists etc for simply suggesting they consider opinions other than ones they agree with remind me of Bertie back when we were about to have a soft landing....
    I find this thread fascinating.

It’s not surprising when you have posters with predictions of SD forever. A totally unsustainable feature of life and they know it.

You do post such long waffle while dismissing posts that suit yourself too. My eyes hurt!
    What do you think suits me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Some doom and gloom merchants acting like anyone who catches Covid will die and that there is no vacinne been rolled out.

We will 100% be back open this summer with pubs, restraunts, visiting friends and retail been open with the main emphasis been put on outdoor dining.

Once the vacinnes are been rolled to those who need it and hospital numbers remain low then we will back open fully.

It won't matter if there's 2,000 cases a day once the hospital numbers are low.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement