Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

We will 100% be back open this summer with pubs, restraunts, visiting friends and retail been open with the main emphasis been put on outdoor dining.

I’m not so sure 100% opening up that quick to be honest. But the ****e posts of forever restrictions are total poppycock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I've not heard the word poppycock in a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

on the verge of giving up when he sees some sort of symbolic light at the end of the tunnel. There is a way out of this. We just need to wait for that day to come. The alternative (a world without a vaccine) is indescribably worse.

Except we haven't gotten to that part yet. We thought the vaccines were the light at the end of the tunnel, but even with them the Govt seems to have no intention of ending the lockdowns. It makes you wonder why even getting it now if we're still going to have to suffer through lockdowns and other restrictions.

This is the stage where they should be offering us hope that lockdowns and restrictions will be done and over with. Instead they're already doling out the "Maybe next year" garbage. And then next year it will "Maybe Next year" again.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If that happened you’ll find a lot of young people emmigrating out of here looking for work in the UK. If the vaccines work and the UK opened up successfully Ireland would have no choice but to follow suit.

That's what's going to happen, we'll see how/what other countries do and copy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Miccoli wrote: »
    Has anyone denied we will be dealing with the after effects of the pandemic for years though ?

Correction, we will be dealing with the after effects of the lockdowns for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Did anyone read the independent this morning, we won't have pubs open in Kerry until african villages are vaccinated. Restrictions are here to stay for the next 3/4 years.

It would take seven years to vaccinate the whole world apparently, so that is just another way of saying restrictions are permanent and pubs are banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Exactly. The metric the government are concerned with is numbers in hospitals and ICU. If you have 1,000 cases but zero hospital admissions, the government couldn't care less. 1,000 isolating at home makes no impact on the grand scheme of things. 1,000 cases with 150 of them being admitted to hospital does impact things.

The main concern of the government is not the number of cases, not the number of deaths, its that they don't get to a stage where hospitals are do over run that doctors have to make a choice between who gets a bed, a ventilator or treatment.

Once the elderly and infirm are vaccinated, this will lead to sharp decrease in hospitalizations and pressure on HSE, then you will see the restrictions being lifted.

I’d expect you’re right. Reduced restrictions over the summer is almost bound to happen. And we’ll have to see why happens when then weather cools. But definitely reduced restrictions in the way few months. Beer gardens, garden parties with friends, finding the extension leads to get the tv out the window
    to watch the match in the garden with a few of the lads. It’ll definitely get better then it is now.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I've not heard the word poppycock in a while :)

Yes i’m running out of words to use on this forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

I wonder what happens when we get to the point where everyone who wants a vaccine (including children) has got it? And when is this likely to be? 12 months from now?

Regardless of the situation elsewhere in the world, we are vaccinated at that point and should we really care about new strains coming into the country? Up to that point we have to be careful about travel definitely, but anyone who is vulnerable can get a booster. I presume boosters tuned to the new strains will be available at that point.

So, while I think the world will be living with the virus for a few years to come, I still don't see why we can't get back to normal with travel, at some point, not too far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Except we haven't gotten to that part yet. We thought the vaccines were the light at the end of the tunnel, but even with them the Govt seems to have no intention of ending the lockdowns. It makes you wonder why even getting it now if we're still going to have to suffer through lockdowns and other restrictions.

This is the stage where they should be offering us hope that lockdowns and restrictions will be done and over with. Instead they're already doling out the "Maybe next year" garbage. And then next year it will "Maybe Next year" again.

Who is saying there is no end to the lockdowns. We have a tiny amount of vaccines at the moment, that's the problem. When the population is largely vaccinated, lockdown (as in actual lockdown) will be lifted, barring a few safety measures for the winter. This is doom mongering.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »

So, while I think the world will be living with the virus for a few years to come, I still don't see why we can't get back to normal with travel, at some point, not too far out.

As i mentioned earlier when we complete our vaccination program you could see travel corridors with countries that have completed their vaccination programs. Proof of vaccination maybe required also.

I’d say Ireland/UK might become a travel bubble first.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

How can it end. Covid is mainstream now and it'll be played to the benefit of people with vested interests in it. Life as we knew is is gone and anyone thinks we're going to back to how it was is delusional!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Who is saying there is no end to the lockdowns. We have a tiny amount of vaccines at the moment, that's the problem. When the population is largely vaccinated, lockdown (as in actual lockdown) will be lifted, barring a few safety measures for the winter. This is doom mongering.

Has anyone in government said that? That when the population is largely vaccinated that lockdown will be lifted.

kingbhome wrote: »
    How can it end. Covid is mainstream now and it'll be played to the benefit of people with vested interests in it. Life as we knew is is gone and anyone thinks we're going to back to how it was is delusional!

Life will find a way. Look at the devastation of the Spanish virus. The roaring 20’s quickly followed.

I wonder what happens when we get to the point where everyone who wants a vaccine (including children) has got it? And when is this likely to be? 12 months from now?

Regardless of the situation elsewhere in the world, we are vaccinated at that point and should we really care about new strains coming into the country? Up to that point we have to be careful about travel definitely, but anyone who is vulnerable can get a booster. I presume boosters tuned to the new strains will be available at that point.

How long will it take to:

1. Develop a booster?
    2. Roll it out to the entire vulnerable population considering it's taking the guts of 5 months at the moment?

There should be some form of travel restrictions in place until mass vaccinations can be done around the world. Likely sometime in 2022.

JMNolan wrote: »
    Has anyone in government said that? That when the population is largely vaccinated that lockdown will be lifted.

The government want to lift lockdowns and will do it as soon as they think it's viable without causing a hospitalisation surge.

There will likely be restrictions of some sort around travel and numbers in pubs and nightclubs for the year, but to call that "lockdown" is being extremely dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wonder what happens when we get to the point where everyone who wants a vaccine (including children) has got it?

When the covid worriers crawl away the homeless and mental health campaigners will crawl back out of hibernation, we will be bombarded again with calls to do something about the mental health of the nation, about all the suicides, depressions and anxieties that everybody will be crying about.

The fact that we will have created those suicides and complexes by the disgraceful treatment of our children here and now will be glossed over.

growleaves wrote: »
    It would take seven years to vaccinate the whole world apparently, so that is just another way of saying restrictions are permanent and pubs are banned.

Where are you pulling 7 years from? We will have multiple billions of doses this year and more next year if we want them. There is no reason to think the world couldn't be vaccinated by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

How long will it take to:

1. Develop a booster?
    2. Roll it out to the entire vulnerable population considering it's taking the guts of 5 months at the moment?

There should be some form of travel restrictions in place until mass vaccinations can be done around the world. Likely sometime in 2022.
    I think it's optimistic to think the whole world will be vaccinated by the end of 2022 and I wouldn't want to be relying on it. Developing a booster should be easy, and testing it so it would be available towards the end of this year. Hopefully, the "vulnerable population" will be smaller the second time around and we are better organised as regards vaccinating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Where are you pulling 7 years from? We will have multiple billions of doses this year and more next year if we want them. There is no reason to think the world couldn't be vaccinated by next year.

The 7 year figure was reported across multiple newspapers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Lemonzero

Ive a family member based in France hoping to get married in Ireland mid August. Wonder will the travel restrictions be lifted before that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Those articles and forecasts are based off current rate of vaccinations though. Clearly it will speed up (You'd hope) but it's too long already. When do the vulnerable become those affected by the non-health related aspects of Covid? That's a fair question imo. I am really struggling. The loss of agency is what kills me. I don't even mind lockdowns when viewed in isolation; I like drinking and partying and all the stuff like that but as an introvert it suits me. I am lucky with my setup and my financial situation, I have security but as a recent graduate my life is in limbo. My future looks bad. t it's this naval gazing social media empty platitudes about "if we just save one life" that is so blissfully unaware that it is unsettling. Real grown up conversations about death are needed. Less hysteria. I am not anti-Rte usually(again this is an EU/Global thing) but the way they have covered the pandemic has been absolutely flabbergasting to watch. It's so overtly aimed at the Joan's and Mary's who watch their coverage. That's not right when it's something that has important consequences. A pandemic shouldn't need to come with a narrative which is often what we see. Everytime RTE talk about the coronavirus it's always just the same thing. The base assumption is that we are all crippling with fear and anxiety because of the virus itself. It's never suggested that it's the intended cure, not the disease that is posing such harm to the majority of the population at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s not surprising when you have posters with predictions of SD forever. A totally unsustainable feature of life and they know it.

I haven't seen many posts, if any, in this forum predicting SD forever.
    There is a couple of posters on the thread who have a very calm & non emotive style of writing that seems to be winding up alot of people to the point that they are being accused of being condescending!
    I find them refreshing to be honest.
    As I say I'm finding the thread fascinating, the input from different perspectives is very interesting.
    I still maintain until more is known about the efficacy of vaccines in the medium term at least we are gonna be stuck with restrictions. That's not just Ireland, that's the entire planet.
    I am still hopeful mid 2022 is when we will begin to see shoots of normality return.
    Until then it's gonna be ranting/debating/arguing on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

W123-80's wrote: »
    The guys on here calling people misery merchants, lockdown champions, pessimists etc for simply suggesting they consider opinions other than ones they agree with remind me of Bertie back when we were about to have a soft landing....
    I find this thread fascinating.

I find the opposite side equally fascinating, so much for optimism.....what point will there be having heavy restrictions when the older / vunerable are vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Paying for lockdowns really won't be a problem when the ECB will be lending at negative rates. Things will be mostly kept closed (on and off) until 2021 I think. We will have a normal Christmas in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I find the opposite side equally fascinating, so much for optimism.....what point will there be having heavy restrictions when the older / vunerable are vaccinated?

Young people are dying from this virus as well

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Lockheed wrote: »

They’re not. But there will be plenty dying as a result of lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Lockheed wrote: »

Young people die from all sorts of things; we don't lockdown societies and deprive people of all the things that make life bearable and tolerable. We are playing with fire here. Covid we have some idea on the toll it has on people; we don't know what the measures imposed have on those whose minds aren't fully formed. We have the tools to deal with the challenges of lockdowns. I don't know if my 15 year old self would have.

I honestly think people underestimate just how fundamentally important to our wellbeing social interaction is. And I include real fluid interaction; not whatever we are forced to put up with now where every interaction, even last summer, feels tenuous somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Travel restrictions will be here for a long time only way to stop importing cases. Once we've gone down the quarantine road there isn't any way back until the world is vaccinated.

Maybe here, but I can guarantee you the UK and the EU, like last year, will be reducing travel restrictions to encourage travel this summer as soon as cases are low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Safe. What the hell are you talking about? Life isn't safe. Living is a risky business.

Do you think you're going to live 'safely' forever?

It's unsafe to keep children home from school, to exclude them from sports. It's unsafe to isolate teenagers, young adults and twenty somethings.

For anyone under 45, traveling by road is 4 times more dangerous than covid19.

You'll never be safe but I for one will oppose indefinite quarantine if people are going to insist on safety as an exit strategy.

Kinda surprised this post got so many thanks, which I think underlies a certain cohort of people who just want to open up ASAP and to hell with everyone else.

Life is not safe, but we do put in steps to mitigate risks, like that seat belt and airbag in that car of yours.

If you want to take the risk of opening up let the ICU's overflow, with nurses having to make a choice on who lives and dies, then advocate that publicly and don't hide behind an anonymous account.

I guess no one who thanked your post is a front line nurse of doctor either, which I think says a lot.

The rest of the post is a bit of a rant to be fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement