Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Tazz T wrote: »
    Maybe here, but I can guarantee you the UK and the EU, like last year, will be reducing travel restrictions to encourage travel this summer as soon as cases are low.

I'd imagine Spain would, they are so heavily titled towards tourism. Also it is a relatively large country with various gradations of wealth - a lot of the poorer people in Spain rely on tourist-related income streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

W123-80's wrote: »
    The guys on here calling people misery merchants, lockdown champions, pessimists etc for simply suggesting they consider opinions other than ones they agree with remind me of Bertie back when we were about to have a soft landing....
    I find this thread fascinating.

Ah yes, there is a lot of that going on. Bertie was a good example to use, the 'Go kill yourself remark' will follow him to the grave....
    Yet, as we have seen, and are seeing the 'pessimists' are correct.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0213/1196887-covid-vaccine-ecdc/

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s not surprising when you have posters with predictions of SD forever. A totally unsustainable feature of life and they know it.

I dont think anyone is actually saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

markodaly wrote: »
    Kinda surprised this post got so many thanks, which I think underlies a certain cohort of people who just want to open up ASAP and to hell with everyone else.

Life is not safe, but we do put in steps to mitigate risks, like that seat belt and airbag in that car of yours.

If you want to take the risk of opening up let the ICU's overflow, with nurses having to make a choice on who lives and dies, then advocate that publicly and don't hide behind an anonymous account.

I guess no one who thanked your post is a front line nurse of doctor either, which I think says a lot.

The rest of the post is a bit of a rant to be fair.

Yeah so people, especially vulnerable can:

Avoid public areas if they feel they are susceptible to the worst affects of catching the virus
    They can mask up. Double mask up.
    They can take responsibility and not see their family and loved ones who may have the virus. It's difficult but that's the price they pay for their risk aversion. Besides, is what we are all being told to do anyway.
    People can act more responsibility. That's what I did when I got back from abroad last summer. I didn't quarantine on return but I was smart about my movements. I avoided a domestic trip afterwards but went for outdoor pints one evening perhaps a week after returning I kept my interactions on the downlow. This is a bit restrictive but it is a pandemic so we have to make some sacrifices. Again, that's an arbritary judgement that I made but so is everything. The solution is to try establish what is best for society as a whole. One year on, lockdowns have to be seen as a health risk in and of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Young people die from all sorts of things; we don't lockdown societies and deprive people of all the things that make life bearable and tolerable. We are playing with fire here. Covid we have some idea on the toll it has on people; we don't know what the measures imposed have on those whose minds aren't fully formed. We have the tools to deal with the challenges of lockdowns. I don't know if my 15 year old self would have.

I honestly think people underestimate just how fundamentally important to our wellbeing social interaction is. And I include real fluid interaction; not whatever we are forced to put up with now where every interaction, even last summer, feels tenuous somehow

Social interaction is vastly overrated. I did a year of the college experience going out all the time and I don't think I had one memorable night or enjoyable club or bar or whatever. I'd happily go on like this until I graduate really. Commuting is a nightmare and I don't have to do it anymore, either.

• Advertisement

Yeah so people, especially vulnerable can:

Avoid public areas if they feel they are susceptible to the worst affects of catching the virus
    They can mask up. Double mask up.
    They can take responsibility and not see their family and loved ones who may have the virus. It's difficult but that's the price they pay for their risk aversion. Besides, is what we are all being told to do anyway.
    People can act more responsibility. That's what I did when I got back from abroad last summer. I didn't quarantine on return but I was smart about my movements. I avoided a trip afterwards but went for outdoor pints, perhaps a week after return g. . I kept my interactions on the downlow. This is a bit restrictive but it is a pandemic so we have to make some sacrifices. Again, that's an arbritary judgement but so is everything. The solution is trying to find what is best for society as a whole.

I don't think you are a good example to follow in fairness, in fact, you may be a good example of not what to do.

Preach more responsibility, when you don't even do the basics yourself?
    That is why we are in this mess. People think the rules are for other people, not them.

We all know in reality that having some sort of caste system in place where the young and healthy can go about their daily lives and the old and vulnerable are expected to hide away in basements, is a fantasy told by people who want to kid themselves that there is some magical middle way out of this pandemic when all we have seen of human behaviour over the last year indicates it would never work in the first place.

Imagine lockdowns as a virus with all the harmful affects that they cause(depression, anxiety, Loneliness, alienation, growing inequality) We would be calling this a health emergency. Yet somehow this doesn't feature into discussions.

We need to start treating lockdowns as a matter of public health.

I don't think you are a good example to follow in fairness, in fact, you may be a good example of not what to do.

Preach more responsibility, when you don't even do the basics yourself?
    That is why we are in this mess. People think the rules are for other people, not them.

We all know in reality that having some sort of caste system in place where the young and healthy can go about their daily lives and the old and vulnerable are expected to hide away in basements, is a fantasy told by people who want to kid themselves that there is some magical middle way out of this pandemic when all we have seen of human behaviour over the last year indicates it would never work in the first place.

It clearly did work. The EU were encouraging travel last summer. Society had opened up. It wasnt perfect but it wasn't level 5 level of restrictions either. Things were fine. Ireland was more restrictive than anywhere else. Health systems didn't crumble.

Imagine lockdowns as a virus with all the harmful affects that they cause(depression, anxiety, Loneliness, alienation, growing inequality) We would be calling this a health emergency. Yet somehow this doesn't feature into discussions.

We need to start treating lockdowns as a matter of public health.

What happens when all these harmful effects are actually a product of our regular society, even before lockdowns? Feeling no more lonely and alienated then when I was sitting my leaving cert

It clearly did work. The EU were encouraging travel last summer. Society had opened up. It wasnt perfect but it wasn't level 5 level of restrictions either. Things were fine. Ireland was more restrictive than anywhere else. Health systems didn't crumble.

Em... you are telling like 1/4 of the story. What happened after the summer? :D
    Especially from December onwards...:cool:

Yea, not sure it went to plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

annual vaccinations for everyone and all the side changes like social distancing, mask wearing etc which are part of the new normal going forward in my view.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Be careful you don't fall off that high horse Mark, you'll do yourself an injury ;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Be careful you don't fall off that high horse Mark, you'll do yourself an injury ;)

Nice edit, but that poster mentioned 'years' not 'forever'.

Nice edit, but that poster mentioned 'years' not 'forever'.

Even years is laughable. Lets see how many will comply with SD if the vaccines work in the next year. "new normal going forward" sounds a bit permanent to me...

But i'm sure if i'm wrong the poster will come on and clarify and if not we know it's what he meant. Same poster claims the pubs will never open again.

I'm just asking this because I don't know, even if things get better what is wrong with social distancing? I love the fact that you don't have clueless gob****es breathing down your neck all the time when queuing or waiting for something. Why do people want to stand closer to other people? Isn't that all SD is..

Em... you are telling like 1/4 of the story. What happened after the summer? :D
    Especially from December onwards...:cool:

Yea, not sure it went to plan.

It got a bit out of hand for a few weeks in January. I concede that. People wilfully chose to forget that the elderly continued to be at risk to the effects of the virus, it being Christmas didn't change that. Older people really should have been avoided at Christmas(if life preservation is the goal of our existence) and this should have been communicated in the weeks leading up to family gatherings. What's happening is that people are conflating all social interaction with the health care surge, rather than the reality, which was old people most susceptible to the virus meeting up with family and friends. I know at this stage a lot of old people are fed up and imo should be able to calculate their own risk but they are the most liable to end up in ICU and jeopardise the health care system.

Lockheed wrote: »
    I'm just asking this because I don't know, even if things get better what is wrong with social distancing? I love the fact that you don't have clueless gob****es breathing down your neck all the time when queuing or waiting for something. Why do people want to stand closer to other people? Isn't that all SD is..

No it means you're not allowed to be within 2 metres of people that aren't in the same household or in your support bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It ends some day in the not too distant future probably in a bed, in pain and with unfathomable anguish.

Ah yes, there is a lot of that going on. Bertie was a good example to use, the 'Go kill yourself remark' will follow him to the grave....
    Yet, as we have seen, and are seeing the 'pessimists' are correct.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0213/1196887-covid-vaccine-ecdc/

Based on the current situation. It's more of a warning to get our skates on. However things could change drastically once the momentum builds up...

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1360514307180670978?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No. Nobody has actually said forever lockdown or forever social distancing. But some posters still misremember others advocating for it. Similarly, lots of posters remember being told that vaccines would lead to a swift return to normality, but when challenged they can’t actually remember who told them.

It’s mostly just sloppy misremembering and sometimes it’s genuine misrepresentation. The misrepresentation is just old-school straw-maning. But in any case, it’s designed to dismiss an opinion they they don’t want to have to consider - the fact that they’re being told that restrictions will go on longer than they had hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Life will find a way. Look at the devastation of the Spanish virus. The roaring 20’s quickly followed.

Nobody mentions what came after that. Let's hope dear leaders are gracious with the stimmy checks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Life will find a way. Look at the devastation of the Spanish virus. The roaring 20’s quickly followed.

Not sure, healthy people weren't quarantined back then. It might be harder to get out of this mess, hopefully not...

No. Nobody has actually said forever lockdown or forever social distancing.

You musn't be on these forums much. I mean we had a claim pubs will never open again :P:P

Nobody mentions what came after that. Let's hope dear leaders are gracious with the stimmy checks.

You know what the funny thing is. People come out with the empty slogans about 'those who forget history are doomed to repeat it' but it's always said reactively to events, never proactively. There has to be at least an awareness that lockdowns and the subsequent economic and social damage may come with incredible long-term impacts that will make Covid look like a minor issue.

We can see the iceberg in the distance but stepped on the accelerator.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Not sure, healthy people weren't quarantined back then. It might be harder to get out of this mess, hopefully not...

Things are looking up. Nearly a 50% drop in worlwide cases in the last few weeks and vaccines rolling out.

mcsean2163 wrote: »

When you detain healthy people it's not called quarantine.

You musn't be on these forums much. I mean we had a claim pubs will never open again :P:P

Well, if someone said it, it’s not a commonly held opinion. If a few head-the-balls have a wild opinions, it doesn’t mean much.

I’m sure everyone knows will get the rough this eventually, but it will take longer then those who buried in heir head in the sand, will have hoped.

Well, if someone said it, it’s not a commonly held opinion. If a few head-the-balls have a wild opinions, it doesn’t mean much.

I know that but i was merely pointing out that these moronic posts like this do exist.

Things are looking up. Nearly a 50% drop in worlwide cases in the last few weeks and vaccines rolling out.

WHO changed the PCR cycle advice the day Biden got in, numbers had to drop.

Vaccines... And in lockdown. We already knew lockdowns reduce cases.

Shouldn’t we just wait for the actual research instead of finger in the air statements like the above? The vaccines are great and the news will be good when it comes, let’s not make things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Yeahyeah42

What are peoples views on a new virus “disease x” popping up after Covid? Just wondering - have read of a few scientists who believe an unheard of one is round the corner not sars or mers related ? Does anyone think that could be a possibility or likelihood once we get out of this one? Curious of peoples opinion on this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement