Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yeahyeah42 wrote: »
    What are peoples views on a new virus “disease x” popping up after Covid? Just wondering - have read of a few scientists who believe an unheard of one is round the corner not sars or mers related ? Does anyone think that could be a possibility or likelihood once we get out of this one? Curious of peoples opinion on this

No so worried about new ones, if any of the current 20 active pandemics reached us we'd be in big trouble.
    Have a watch of 93 days and ask yourself would we be as alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

What are peoples views on a new virus “disease x” popping up after Covid? Just wondering - have read of a few scientists who believe an unheard of one is round the corner not sars or mers related ? Does anyone think that could be a possibility or likelihood once we get out of this one? Curious of peoples opinion on this

Without any doubt there will eventually be another - most likely another flu will jump species. Intensive animal farming is the perfect environment for quick viral evolution as it jumps from animal to animal. Factory farming will be the end of us, and as a species we deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Lockheed wrote: »
    Social interaction is vastly overrated. I did a year of the college experience going out all the time and I don't think I had one memorable night or enjoyable club or bar or whatever. I'd happily go on like this until I graduate really. Commuting is a nightmare and I don't have to do it anymore, either.

Totally disagree college for me and anyone I know was entirely about social interaction. It was brilliant and any students I talk to are hating the isolation.

There may be some students it suits but I would.wager a large sum if you had a poll tomorrow you would struggle to find many students who don't want the full college experience.

Diseases pop up all the time, yes as the world gets more and more populated it is more likely statistically to spread and go global.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

markodaly wrote: »
    Kinda surprised this post got so many thanks, which I think underlies a certain cohort of people who just want to open up ASAP and to hell with everyone else.

Life is not safe, but we do put in steps to mitigate risks, like that seat belt and airbag in that car of yours.

If you want to take the risk of opening up let the ICU's overflow, with nurses having to make a choice on who lives and dies, then advocate that publicly and don't hide behind an anonymous account.

I guess no one who thanked your post is a front line nurse of doctor either, which I think says a lot.

The rest of the post is a bit of a rant to be fair.

Agree, I went a bit OTT at the end but at the same time I think it's unacceptable to have safety as a lockdown exit criteria.

As for the facts that you dismiss as a rant.

In 2017, 87 under 45 died on the roads and that's with seatbelts.

In 2020, 25 under 45 died with covid19.

I have close family as frontline healthcare worker and am acutely aware of how they have suffered. They have bravely worked in an unknown perilous environment especially at the start of lockdown when so little was known. They put their lives and the lives of their family in it jeopardy to do their jobs.

Safety to some seems to mean zero covid19 and travel restrictions for 5 years. Safety to others is vaccination >70% and hospitalisations at a manageable rate.

Locking up the young indefinitely is not safe to me.

So again, having an opaque undefined exit criteria of safety is not good enough. Like most, I am looking forward to the easing of restrictions but if this is something with which the government wishes to persist after vaccination, they need to outline very clearly their reasons as restrictions are not without societal consequences, at least IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Yeahyeah42

Multipass wrote: »
    Without any doubt there will eventually be another - most likely another flu will jump species. Intensive animal farming is the perfect environment for quick viral evolution as it jumps from animal to animal. Factory farming will be the end of us, and as a species we deserve it.

Interesting view - I think a lot more resources should be put into studying this - man tinkering with things and what the ramifications of that could be

Young people are dying from this virus as well

Not in any significant numbers. This virus is only a significant risk for the very elderly. Please read the CSO stats and if clearly shows that.

Lots of young people die every year from a multitude of problems and illnesses, Covid is not a significant issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

We're looking to move out the city into country side and "live off the land". Being part of this dysfunctional society provides very little benefits.

Social interaction is vastly overrated. I did a year of the college experience going out all the time and I don't think I had one memorable night or enjoyable club or bar or whatever. I'd happily go on like this until I graduate really. Commuting is a nightmare and I don't have to do it anymore, either.

Then you’re doing it wrong. It was the best 4 years of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Vaccines... And in lockdown. We already knew lockdowns reduce cases.

Shouldn’t we just wait for the actual research instead of finger in the air statements like the above? The vaccines are great and the news will be good when it comes, let’s not make things up.

Who is making things up? Yes lockdowns have certainly helped reduce cases worldwide. However it doesn’t fully explain the rate of drop. WHO have also passed comment on the “phenomena “.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Totally disagree college for me and anyone I know was entirely about social interaction. It was brilliant and any students I talk to are hating the isolation.

There may be some students it suits but I would.wager a large sum if you had a poll tomorrow you would struggle to find many students who don't want the full college experience.

I just know I'll never talk to any of the people in my course again after I graduate. Maybe I'm a toxic or negative person because I don't get any enjoyment out of the 'experience'. Being forced to sit in jam packed lecture halls while very very ill for attendance was something I don't ever want to do again. Looking back it was no wonder people got sick all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Not one good night, it was the best few years of my life, surviving on nothing, meeting new people, having no worries in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I genuinely feel sorry for you that you feel this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Paying for lockdowns really won't be a problem when the ECB will be lending at negative rates. Things will be mostly kept closed (on and off) until 2021 I think. We will have a normal Christmas in 2022

Fine until the interest rates are increased which will occur in the not so distant future to curb post pandemic inflation.

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Fine until the interest rates are increased which will occur in the not so distant future to curb post pandemic inflation.

People worrying about interest rates but forget about the actual capital that has to be repaid. Think we're around €30 billion now, and counting.

Talk about burying heads in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Who is making things up? Yes lockdowns have certainly helped reduce cases worldwide. However it doesn’t fully explain the rate of drop. WHO have also passed comment on the “phenomena “.

Apologies. I thought you were attributing the drop in cases to the vaccine rollout. The lockdown has been very effective and the numbers are well down.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Have 2020 deaths been categorised yet? If so then we can compare to other years and make some sense of the died 'with' vs 'of' Covid. The data is very disingenuous.

Lundstram wrote: »
    People worrying about interest rates but forget about the actual capital that has to be repaid. Think we're around €30 billion now, and counting.

When the global national debt is 30 trillion this is a drop in the ocean. Every government will be attempting to repay their national debts, just like any year in any decade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Have 2020 deaths been categorised yet? If so then we can compare to other years and make some sense of the died 'with' vs 'of' Covid. The data is very disingenuous.

I posted a link on another thread which I can't seem to find.

According to the CSO up to the end of October we registered 22,500 deaths, from what I can see, we registered 3,000 for Nov/Dec, if those figures are right we are looking at a death figure total of approx 26,000.

We average a rate of 30,000.

IF those figure's turn out to be accurate, there will be a lot of red faces all over!!!!

As long as interest rates are zero it won't make a difference. Cost you nothing yo rollover the debt. Its when the interest rates go up that problems occur.

But can look forward to the Covid recovery tax in the next budget.

• Advertisement

When the global national debt is 30 trillion this is a drop in the ocean. Every government will be attempting to repay their national debts, just like any year in any decade

Who cares about the global debt? I'm worried about ours which has been in a healthy state for a while now but the over reaction to this virus has set us back years and decimated businesses future profitability as a result.

Be grand, though. What's a few billion when there's a virus with a 99.7% survival rate to tackle. :rolleyes:

I posted a link on another thread which I can't seem to find.

According to the CSO up to the end of October we registered 22,500 deaths, from what I can see, we registered 3,000 for Nov/Dec, if those figures are right we are looking at a death figure total of approx 26,000.

We average a rate of 30,000.

IF those figure's turn out to be accurate, there will be a lot of red faces all over!!!!

Yes, there were no excess deaths. Total deaths in 2020 were lower than previous year.

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Yes, there were no excess deaths. Total deaths in 2020 were lower than previous year.

Because there's only a small amount if any dying of Covid19, plenty dying with it.

Massive difference. This is why we have seen no excess deaths.

Who cares about the global debt? I'm worried about ours which has been in a healthy state for a while now but the over reaction to this virus has set us back years and decimated businesses future profitability as a result.

Be grand, though. What's a few billion when there's a virus with a 99.7% survival rate to tackle. :rolleyes:

My point is that nobody cares about the national debt either. We were always paying something back and always will be. How is this in any way different to 2008, except this time every other government in the world is also in a cash negative position?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My point is that nobody cares about the national debt either. We were always paying something back and always will be. How is this in any way different to 2008, except this time every other government in the world is also in a cash negative position?

That logic is a bit silly tbh.

Because its a lot easier to pay back €50bill debt than €230bill debt.

The less debt you have the more you can spend on trying to improve your country.

Its not rocket science.

Every other nation hasn't seen harsher restrictions than Ireland. They're also not handing out €350 to sit at home. Our debt is growing a lot faster than the majority of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Essentially you don't have to sweat the debt if you're institutionally sound.

If I was Ireland I'd be careful about zero Covid strategies and cutting ourselves off from the globalised world. Could really have catastrophic implications for our credit ratings if it was a signal of us detaching from globalisation. Short term gain vs long-term pain.

NIMAN wrote: »
    That logic is a bit silly tbh.

Because its a lot easier to pay back €50bill debt than €230bill debt.

The less debt you have the more you can spend on trying to improve your country.

Its not rocket science.

Do you really believe that our two party government would spend any surplus on improving the country?
    Most capital investment is based on borrowed money anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

First of all, the debt servicing will increase - meaning you will be paying more of your income towards paying off debt.

Secondly, since money that goes towards debt could have gone towards productive economic activity the fact that whole world is on the hook for repayment means that the whole world is going to get poorer. Except for those at the very top who benefit from asset inflation.

Without debt cancellation, we'll eventually have a tiny mega-rich elite and a huge global underclass. And we're already in the habit of accepting that our movements, whether we see our own families, is someone else's decision. Wait til you are a peasant to see how bad things will get then.

But yes this is just a continuation and intensification of problems that began in 2008 when the amount of debt exceeded the demand for debt for the first time.

Debt forgiveness would solve this problem.

No one knows the future for sure, but a continuation of present trends is looking very bad imo. I don't take any joy from being pessimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

growleaves wrote: »
    First of all, the debt servicing will increase - meaning you will be paying more of your income towards paying off debt.

Secondly, since money that goes towards debt could have gone towards productive economic activity the fact that whole world is on the hook for repayment means that the whole world is going to get poorer. Except for those at the very top who benefit from asset inflation.

Without debt cancellation, we'll eventually have a tiny mega-rich elite and a huge global underclass. And we're already in the habit of accepting that our movements, whether we see our own families, is someone else's decision. Wait til you are a peasant to see how bad things will get then.

But yes this is just a continuation and intensification of problems that began in 2008 when the amount of debt exceeded the demand for debt for the first time.

Debt forgiveness would solve this problem.

No one knows the future for sure, but a continuation of present trends is looking very bad imo. I don't take any joy from being pessimistic.

Feudalism 2.0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement