Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

Lockheed wrote: »
    My point is that nobody cares about the national debt either. We were always paying something back and always will be. How is this in any way different to 2008, except this time every other government in the world is also in a cash negative position?

Post 2008 the financial supports went into the capitalisation of the banks. Money never really went into the economy. This time all supports are gone into the economy, which will ultimately lead to inflation, which in turn will ultimately lead to interest rate increases to curb spending and inflation, and that's when the fun begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I posted a link on another thread which I can't seem to find.

According to the CSO up to the end of October we registered 22,500 deaths, from what I can see, we registered 3,000 for Nov/Dec, if those figures are right we are looking at a death figure total of approx 26,000.

We average a rate of 30,000.

IF those figure's turn out to be accurate, there will be a lot of red faces all over!!!!

No, they will just move the goalposts again. Remember, this is very much like a religion to a lot of people, no matter what happens they will consider themselves to have been correct.

Excess deaths rise, "See, we were right all along". Excess deaths fall, "See, we were right all along".

Its a virus that doesn't kill the vast, vast majority of people that catch it, and it is a pandemic that will see excess deaths fall. Such a scenario should have required a measured, proportional approach that considered more factors than just the virus itself, but instead we got a media driven hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

There will be new strains appearing for years. The people's anger and resentment will be redirected towards the unvaccinated, no matter how negligible they are statistically. There is no envisioned end of this in the short term, if there was, the Government would give us some sense of the plan. On the contrary, look out for policy changes which have long term outlook..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

14.5 million people have now got their covid jab in the UK.

We are still hostages to our utterly inept HSE

You would sooner get a heroin dose than your vaccination fron these clowns.

I would sooner give the Kinahans the job to distribute the vaccine

Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales now have the highest and best vaccination numbers in Europe! Scotland with its horrendous weather and multitude of islands...............is light years ahead of Ireland................and so is Northern Ireland. https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-daily-data-for-scotland/ This is beyond depressing!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

What can the HSE do? We do not have vaccines to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

PCeeeee wrote: »

The Irish mentality in a nutshell, "But its hard, sure what can we do".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The HSE is distributing the vaccines it gets. The manufacturers are making it as best they can, the EU is distributing it as best they can. It’s frustrating, but we’re much better as part of the EU programme than if we were in our own. We’d likely have to wait for all the bigger, more powerful countries to vaccinate their populations before we would get a look in.

It’s frustrating that it doesn’t all happen overnight, but that’s not realistic. The good news is that it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭brickster69

Well you do, but you are just refusing to give it to the people that need it.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

The Irish mentality in a nutshell, "But its hard, sure what can we do".

Excuse me? That's not what I'm saying at all. The HSE are not sitting on a stock of vaccines. We simply do not have them to distribute.

The HSE are not in charge of procurement

• Advertisement

Well you do, but you are just refusing to give it to the people that need it.

The HSE are sitting on a stock of vaccines?

The HSE are sitting on a stock of vaccines?

Is this a new conspiracy theory or what?

Is this a new conspiracy theory or what?

I don't know. I'm waiting for Brickster to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

is light years ahead of Ireland................and so is Northern Ireland.
    The north is part of Ireland, so can't be ahead of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I posted a link on another thread which I can't seem to find.

According to the CSO up to the end of October we registered 22,500 deaths, from what I can see, we registered 3,000 for Nov/Dec, if those figures are right we are looking at a death figure total of approx 26,000.

We average a rate of 30,000.

IF those figure's turn out to be accurate, there will be a lot of red faces all over!!!!
    There's no chance that this is accurate. All cause mortality can't drop 4000 in one year unless someone comes up with some miraculous new treatment for heart disease etc.

Given the delays in registering deaths, we can't rely on the CSO/registered deaths for timely statistics on the number of deaths in a particular year. The best source of figures has turned out to be rip.ie which Seamus Coffey uses. I thought the CSO were starting to use it now too but it isn't "registered" deaths.

CSO stats on principal causes of death are generally slower again.

Has anyone got Coffey's rip.ie figures on for all cause mortality for 2020

The HSE is distributing the vaccines it gets. The manufacturers are making it as best they can, the EU is distributing it as best they can. It’s frustrating, but we’re much better as part of the EU programme than if we were in our own. We’d likely have to wait for all the bigger, more powerful countries to vaccinate their populations before we would get a look in.

It’s frustrating that it doesn’t all happen overnight, but that’s not realistic. The good news is that it is happening.

70 people arrested in Longford for enjoying themselves on Friday night
    We are living in tyranny.
    The Irish people can't wait.
    This summer once the warm weather arrives there will be no stopping big gatherings barbecues packed beaches kids getting together having fun etc

Why did you quote my post to tell us this?

This summer once the warm weather arrives there will be no stopping big gatherings barbecues packed beaches kids getting together having fun etc

Roll on the summer so

Why did you quote my post to tell us this?

You are making excuses that's why.
    We are supposed to put our lives on permanent hold while a bunch of inept HSE clowns with gold plated salaries and gold plated pensions drive the country over an economic cliff?
    Our lives are being destroyed.
    Daily life is utterly criminalized.

You are making excuses that's why.
    We are supposed to put our lives on permanent hold while a bunch of inept HSE clowns with gold plated salaries and gold plated pensions drive the country over an economic cliff?
    Our lives are being destroyed.
    Daily life is utterly criminalized.

Ok. But you have t addressed anything in the post you quoted.

What should the HSE do differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, but not really.....
    A man in his mid-30s was arrested, with gardaí insisting all individuals present “will be dealt with” under the State’s Covid-19 legislation

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, but not really.....

Ok fined or whatever. Still criminalized. For enioying a Friday night. Total insanity. This country has completely lost the plot. Billions in debt. The economy destroyed.
    For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

BrianD3 wrote: »
    There's no chance that this is accurate. All cause mortality can't drop 4000 in one year unless someone comes up with some miraculous new treatment for heart disease etc.

Given the delays in registering deaths, we can't rely on the CSO/registered deaths for timely statistics on the number of deaths in a particular year. The best source of figures has turned out to be rip.ie which Seamus Coffey uses. I thought the CSO were starting to use it now too but it isn't "registered" deaths.

You need to adjust for the near zero deaths from flue this year.
    In any event what's the focus on the dead/deaths: its the living you need to focus on.
    To Gunter Theresa May: Dead is Dead

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Ok fined or whatever. Still criminalized. For enioying a Friday night. Total insanity. This country has completely lost the plot. Billions in debt. The economy destroyed.
    For what?

For what? Asking that question kinda shows how far off the point the conversation has gone. As if you can’t think of any reasons on your own.

Any clues about what you think the HSE should be doing differently?

For what? Asking that question kinda shows how far off the point the conversation has gone. As if you can’t think of any reasons on your own.

Any clues about what you think the HSE should be doing differently?

Open everything up right now. Stop this utter lunacy

Open everything up right now. Stop this utter lunacy

That’s what the HSE should do? Ah, you’ve stopped trying to be serious about the issue then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

BrianD3 wrote: »

Regardless of the final total, I find it mind boggling that in a year when our closest neighbour suffered 100 thousand excess deaths and places as wealthy and advanced as New York resorted to filling mass graves with bodies, some people are so utterly devoid of intelligence that they think the fact that Irish policy may have kept our own excess deaths down to a minimal level is some kind of indictment of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

quokula wrote: »
    Regardless of the final total, I find it mind boggling that in a year when our closest neighbour suffered 100 thousand excess deaths and places as wealthy and advanced as New York resorted to filling mass graves with bodies, some people are so utterly devoid of intelligence that they think the fact that Irish policy may have kept our own excess deaths down to a minimal level is some kind of indictment of the government.

Indeed!!!!

There are many variables to be considered, which differ slightly from country to country, and the differences increase from Continent to Continent....from climate to population density, to leadership at regional/national level...to past flu seasons and a myriad of others no doubt.

But IF (and I stress the word "if") we record a year where our death rate fell by 10% that should of course be a cause of celebration, however, we know from the demographic that are most affected that we are merely buying people in that demographic another year or two max.

For that we have destroyed our economy, placed our entire population on lockdown for much of that year at a cost that nobody has even considered.

There is no doubt we now have a mental health crisis the likes of which we have never seen before...which will impact on our death rates in the coming years.

There is no doubt we have missed cancer and heart disease diagnosis which WILL start to impact our death rate (of all ages) in the coming years.

There is no doubt that taking children out of their class and sport for the best part of a year is going to have an adverse impact on their education and social skills.

There is no doubt pumping fear into the elderly is going to have a negative impact on their quality of lives for their remaining years.

There is no doubt this is going to have a massive negative impact on the local owned SME sector which will take years to recover if ever.

The question many will justifiably ask themselves, was the cure worse than the disease...we won't know that for some time to come...not everyone has bought into the Covid hysteria you know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

And, IF the figures are any way accurate, what we do know, is that we will record that excess death on top of our annual average death rate in the very near future but will have created a social mess of a magnitude never seen before...

You cannot simply put a stop to people's lives indefinitely and expect no consequences, that is infantile.

Would much softer restrictions have delivered the same result at much less cost, only time will tell!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We're starting to see the beginnings of civil disobedience. 5km becomes 10km, house visits are increasing, teenagers back out hanging around in groups again (not today obviously).

My neighbour has 7 children and they are at the house every day. 2-3 times a day in some cases. One of the neighbours does hair and nails and it looks like she has been doing appointments over the last couple of days at the house. I know a local barber that is now doing house call haircuts. I see him walking around the area with his case. My friend went to a cafe this morning and had a sit down breakfast. One of the pubs is doing Takeaway pints again.

I know a couple of girls that are in Malaga right now on holiday.

These are things I have noticed over the last few days and that's before we get to the Tenerife Dentists.

The Garda and Media seem to be getting increasingly desperate. RTE hanging around Dublin Airport every day and ringing up Dentists. The Garda have given up dispensing youths and are trying to get dental records in Tenerife.

The more rules they bring in, the more they feel they are losing. We didn't need rules last year. Now they need the extra rules because we are not ****ed anymore.

Civil disobedience is where it all ends. We will be lucky to get 60-70% vaccinated. The enthusiastic will get vaccinated but then it will get to the vaccine resistant and those who won't be arsed. That leaves 30-40% not vaccinated. Thats around 1.5-2million people.

It's the beginning of the end. And it's not the end that a lot of people hoped for. Society will chose how it ends and it is beginning to chose the "Can't be f**ked anymore" option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement