Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Would much softer restrictions have delivered the same result at much less cost, only time will tell!!!

It won't though. We'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hatrick Patrick the festival lover like myself, here's a little light relief from all the news, Body & Soul are live streaming an event tonight at 8 PM. http://bodyandsoul.ie/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

We're starting to see the beginnings of civil disobedience. 5km becomes 10km, house visits are increasing, teenagers back out hanging around in groups again (not today obviously).

My neighbour has 7 children and they are at the house every day. 2-3 times a day in some cases. One of the neighbours does hair and nails and it looks like she has been doing appointments over the last couple of days at the house. I know a local barber that is now doing house call haircuts. I see him walking around the area with his case. My friend went to a cafe this morning and had a sit down breakfast. One of the pubs is doing Takeaway pints again.

I know a couple of girls that are in Malaga right now on holiday.

These are things I have noticed over the last few days and that's before we get to the Tenerife Dentists.

The Garda and Media seem to be getting increasingly desperate. RTE hanging around Dublin Airport every day and ringing up Dentists. The Garda have given up dispensing youths and are trying to get dental records in Tenerife.

The more rules they bring in, the more they feel they are losing. We didn't need rules last year. Now they need the extra rules because we are not ****ed anymore.

Civil disobedience is where it all ends. We will be lucky to get 60-70% vaccinated. The enthusiastic will get vaccinated but then it will get to the vaccine resistant and those who won't be arsed. That leaves 30-40% not vaccinated. Thats around 1.5-2million people.

It's the beginning of the end. And it's not the end that a lot of people hoped for. Society will chose how it ends and it is beginning to chose the "Can't be f**ked anymore" option.

It's really mad to watch it all unfold.

I have met quiet a number of people this week, from just meeting them on the street or at a funeral I had to go to...every one of them have had enough and are concerned for their kids and themselves, but everyone I see posting on social media are the opposite they are like solders of the government/christ, shaming all and sundry for simple things....but then, those on social media are always shaming people, it's part of the appeal I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have met quiet a number of people this week, from just meeting them on the street or at a funeral I had to go to...every one of them have had enough and are concerned for their kids and themselves, but everyone I see posting on social media are the opposite they are like solders of the government/christ, shaming all and sundry for simple things....but then, those on social media are always shaming people, it's part of the appeal I think!

This! When I speak to the neighbors: "oh kids miss their grandma so much!", yet their grandma's car is parked outside their house at least twice a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im for restrictions easing as much as the next man, but were in aserious place still, level 5 lockdown is key to getting vaccines out quick, when we get 70+ vaccinated , id say most level 3 in May then level 2 for june, everythung open by july. there should be very few hositalisations after 70+ are vaccinated and 0 deaths. we need people to stop going for tests when we get 70 pluses vaccinated. cases wont matter and just prolong it.

• Advertisement

GAA this week putting pressure on for their games to get back now, there will be massive pressure once vulnerale are vaccinated by groups like sports/airlines/hotels once risk is gone very low. id say all pubs /hotels/restaurunts will be open in june. sure they want us to holiday in ireland this summer , not everyone has a tent or caravan they can stay in if hotels and pubs are shut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Dickie10 wrote: »
    GAA this week putting pressure on for their games to get back now, there will be massive pressure once vulnerale are vaccinated by groups like sports/airlines/hotels once risk is gone very low. id say all pubs /hotels/restaurunts will be open in june. sure they want us to holiday in ireland this summer , not everyone has a tent or caravan they can stay in if hotels and pubs are shut

obviously hotels will be open in June, its only February now.

people need to grow up and stop convincing themselves the government are just making restrictions to annoy everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

pgj2015 wrote: »
    people need to grow up and stop convincing themselves the government are just making restrictions to annoy everyone.

Maybe the Govt should stop giving us reasons to think that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The more rules they bring in, the more they feel they are losing.
    Yeah once the authorities are jacking up the fines and prison sentences it's an indication theyre losing control

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Yeah once the authorities are jacking up the fines and prison sentences it's an indication theyre losing control

Ya it's funny, I thought the same when Hancock proposed 10 year prison terms for covid restriction offenders...they've lost it...

Their difficulty is they have used fear and not reason to communicate with people, when the fear levels don't match anywhere near the ordinary persons experience where do they go from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think good will lasts until Easter at the very latest...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What? First ive heard of this, any links?

Ya it's funny, I thought the same when Hancock proposed 10 year prison terms for covid restriction offenders...they've lost it...

Their difficulty is they have used fear and not reason to communicate with people, when the fear levels don't match anywhere near the ordinary persons experience where do they go from there?

Their actions have continually betrayed their words throughout all of this. The people who have been telling us to live in mortal fear of this virus haven't been doing so themselves.

If this virus was truly that deadly there wouldn't be any selective enforcement of restrictions and there would be absolutely no feet dragging in the rollout of the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We know full well that those €500-€2000 Fines won't hold up in court. And if they do, you won't do a day in Prison for non payment.

The Garda have issued 5000 Fines for non essential travel and 132 at the airport. What are they going to do if nobody pays, inprison all of them? If people wanted to appeal the fine in court too, the Garda will have to show up to court. And now they want to start going after the people who booked appointments and didn't show up.

I have been in court before for urinating in public. The Garda didn't show up and I was free to go. If the offence is ****ty, the garda rarely shows up and it gets thrown out.

Are the garda that are at the airport going to sit through case, after case, after case of fine appeals? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Look its like health and safety and wokeness and political correctness, you have to be seen to be saying one thing in your public feeds even if you think or believe something entirely different......covid hysteria is just an extension of all of this......and heaven forbid if you stray from the accepted thought line.

Covid has been like this since day one.......

lol its not like the GAA can do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

We know full well that those €500-€2000 Fines won't hold up in court. And if they do, you won't do a day in Prison for non payment.

The Garda have issued 5000 Fines for non essential travel and 132 at the airport. What are they going to do if nobody pays, inprison all of them? If people wanted to appeal the fine in court too, the Garda will have to show up to court. And now they want to start going after the people who booked appointments and didn't show up.

I have been in court before for urinating in public. The Garda didn't show up and I was free to go. If the offence is ****ty, the garda rarely shows up and it gets thrown out.

Are the garda that are at the airport going to sit through case, after case, after case of fine appeals? Not a chance.

Don't disagree with you in principal but they are going to make examples of some so Plastic Sheeting can do a piece to camera outside some district court about this nefarious dangerous individual who drove 10km to a beach and put people's lives at risk by walking on a beach outside his 5km zone.....

Couple of years back if you had told me people would be banned from working, have their businesses destroyed, be banned from traveling, have freedom of movement in their own country removed and have the right to protest removed and even be banned from meeting other people I would said you were clinically insane and had no understanding as to how vital liberatarian values are to the very fundamentals of what we call western democracy........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Maybe the Govt should stop giving us reasons to think that way.

Ah yeah, but be serious. This isn’t a trivial issue. It’s as though it’s a teenager wanting to go to the pub and thinking their parents hate them for not letting them.

But this is a serious issue. You can play the petulant teenager, asking why the government hates you, but that’s trivialising a genuinely serious issue.

Ah yeah, but be serious. This isn’t a trivial issue. It’s as though it’s a teenager wanting to go to the pub and thinking their parents hate them for not letting them.

But this is a serious issue. You can play the petulant teenager, asking why the government hates you, but that’s trivialising a genuinely serious issue.

The way a lot of people were delighted michael martin didnt get invited to washington for paddys day was pathetic, like little kids being so petty, I cant go to Tenerife so I dont want him leaving the country either. such childish behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Don't disagree with you in principal but they are going to make examples of some so Plastic Sheeting can do a piece to camera outside some district court about this nefarious dangerous individual who drove 10km to a beach and put people's lives at risk by walking on a beach outside his 5km zone.....

Couple of years back if you had told me people would be banned from working, have their businesses destroyed, be banned from traveling, have freedom of movement in their own country removed and have the right to protest removed and even be banned from meeting other people I would said you were clinically insane and had no understanding as to how vital liberatarian values are to the very fundamentals of what we call western democracy........

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Making a criminal out of somebody travelling to the UK to see their family, for the foreseeable future is frankly mental. They've brought in some quite dystopian laws and we get lumped in with the Gemma brigade for pointing it out.

its illegal for me to go more than 5km from my home. Am I going mad here or is that not incredible? I can now see how authoritarian regimes happen, it seems a certain % of people actually want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

:confused:

Pascal Sheehy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

El Sueño wrote: »
    Pascal Sheehy

MeHole Martin
    Leo Leek

I don’t know any adults who speak this way. Tabloid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Also take into account that the larger the fine the more people will take their chance in court. It's not worth hiring a solicitor for a €100 fine. A €2000 fine is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

AdamD wrote: »
    Making a criminal out of somebody travelling to the UK to see their family, for the foreseeable future is frankly mental. They've brought in some quite dystopian laws and we get lumped in with the Gemma brigade for pointing it out.

its illegal for me to go more than 5km from my home. Am I going mad here or is that not incredible? I can now see how authoritarian regimes happen, it seems a certain % of people actually want it.

I think the enthusiasm for these measures are even worse than the measures. People I never thought capable of it are now watching what everyone else is doing - discussing which clothes are essential and can be sold in Dunnes. I feel like I’m in an asylum.

Multipass wrote: »
    I think the enthusiasm for these measures are even worse than the measures. People I never thought capable of it are now watching what everyone else is doing - discussing which clothes are essential and can be sold in Dunnes. I feel like I’m in an asylum.

i said a few weeks ago its very easy to see why the ordinary irish people were probably the most to blame for what happened in the mother and baby holmes. so easy to see that hysterical thinking being played out everyday all around us, "oh look so and so is gone to work and shouldnt be, should i phone the gardai? " " i think theres more than 3 people in number 24 down the street , i better just let the guards know" . "did you hear so and so went 15 miles to go to a fish shop last week, there badly off, i should report them "

this sort of thing, very easy to see how we would talk about girls if we were back in 50s and 60s now with our attitude in this place.

AdamD wrote: »
    its illegal for me to go more than 5km from my home. Am I going mad here or is that not incredible?

if you're going to complain about the law, it's better if you actually know the law!
    Your statement is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

bubblypop wrote: »
    if you're going to complain about the law, it's better if you actually know the law!
    Your statement is wrong.

You know exactly what he meant by that, and it’s still crazy not being allowed to go for a run more than 5km. You’ll be back now to tell me that you can run in a 5km circle around your house....

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The way a lot of people were delighted michael martin didnt get invited to washington for paddys day was pathetic, like little kids being so petty, I cant go to Tenerife so I dont want him leaving the country either. such childish behavior.

Yes, how dare we expect the people lecturing us to sacrifice actually sacrifice themselves. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

the backlash from gaa media pundits is all over papers all week. like i said our politicans will crumble if any sort of pressure is applied by media , look at christmas, no need for opening up at all with online shopping people would have got anything they needed, but media kept pressure on to open. they will hold firm til after easter all right this time, but all going well on vaccinations by may we should be into level 3. from what i have heard from leo and micheal is that the summer will see things very different and i take that to be hotels/pubs/restaurnts open. defintley think VFI need to be strong on opening all or nothing though. perhaps diageo or some of those big companies should put pressure to get rid of that stupid food rule, all pubs /hotels and restauraunts should be open the same day. at 50% capacity if needs be , wouldnt be a probelem once all open, plenty of room and choice for all.

id love for someone to tell me what risk thier would be when all vulvneravble and over 70s are vaccinated on doing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement