Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

MeHole Martin
    Leo Leek

I don’t know any adults who speak this way. Tabloid stuff.

Shows the mentality of the people we are delaing with i suppose. Infantile though it is i can kinda get mehole and leak to an extent but plastic sheeting? ffs what kind of mind thinks of that and then posts it?:confused:

Multipass wrote: »
    You know exactly what he meant by that, and it’s still crazy not being allowed to go for a run more than 5km. You’ll be back now to tell me that you can run in a 5km circle around your house....

Did he mean something other then he said?
    I think it's amazing the amount of people who don't know the laws they complain about!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Yes, how dare we expect the people lecturing us to sacrifice actually sacrifice themselves. :rolleyes:

Government diplomacy work isn’t the same as a holiday. It makes little difference because Biden is very interested in his Irish roots, so he’ll reinstate the Patrick’s day tradition. I don’t think people realise how fortunate we are that we get our leader to the White House annually. Most countries, of our small size and influence, don’t get to meet world leaders in an official one-to-one visit each year.

Some things are more important than the pettiness being displayed here. The more you read, the less seriously I think some people are taking the whole thing.

[QUOTE=Dickie10;116273292]i said a few weeks ago its very easy to see why the ordinary irish people were probably the most to blame for what happened in the mother and baby holmes. so easy to see that hysterical thinking being played out everyday all around us, "oh look so and so is gone to work and shouldnt be, should i phone the gardai? " " i think theres more than 3 people in number 24 down the street , i better just let the guards know" . "did you hear so and so went 15 miles to go to a fish shop last week, there badly off, i should report them "

this sort of thing, very easy to see how we would talk about girls if we were back in 50s and 60s now with our attitude in this place.[/QUOTE]

Did you? So you blame 'ordinary people' for that disgraceful situation do you? Right so, we know where you are coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Government diplomacy work isn’t the same as a holiday.

Yes, those 15 whole minutes with Biden is really urgent. Or it could be the two dinners followed by a piss up with Congress that he's more interested in.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    the backlash from gaa media pundits is all over papers all week. like i said our politicans will crumble if any sort of pressure is applied by media , look at christmas, no need for opening up at all with online shopping people would have got anything they needed, but media kept pressure on to open. they will hold firm til after easter all right this time, but all going well on vaccinations by may we should be into level 3. from what i have heard from leo and micheal is that the summer will see things very different and i take that to be hotels/pubs/restaurnts open. defintley think VFI need to be strong on opening all or nothing though. perhaps diageo or some of those big companies should put pressure to get rid of that stupid food rule, all pubs /hotels and restauraunts should be open the same day. at 50% capacity if needs be , wouldnt be a probelem once all open, plenty of room and choice for all.

id love for someone to tell me what risk thier would be when all vulvneravble and over 70s are vaccinated on doing this.

I presume you are replying to me? Would you not use the Quote function? Anyway, as i asked any links? From the GAA, not pundits, you must have missed the GAA President's response as well i take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Did you? So you blame 'ordinary people' for that disgraceful situation do you? Right so, we know where you are coming from

Naturally yes they didnt stop it or complain or even suport the girls and mothers , the ordinary people of ireland have blood on their hands. it wont sit well with people but plenty knew what was going on apart from medics,social workers and the church. None of those girls would have been put into them with out the consent and sometimes direction of their mothers and fathers, the ordinary people of ireland. Do you think people in Ireland were all gombeens woundering where these women were and thinking they were having a great time? they knew and most were happy about it and presumed because they authorities said it was the right thing for them, then that was ok. sounds a bit like now .

Yes, those 15 whole minutes with Biden is really urgent. Or it could be the two dinners followed by a piss up with Congress that he's more interested in.

Here’s not the place to discuss government with someone who doesn’t know how government works.

Naturally yes they didnt stop it or complain or even suport the girls and mothers , the ordinary people of ireland have blood on their hands. it wont sit well with people but plenty knew what was going on apart from medics,social workers and the church. None of those girls would have been put into them with out the consent and sometimes direction of their mothers and fathers, the ordinary people of ireland. Do you think people in Ireland were all gombeens woundering where these women were and thinking they were having a great time? they knew and most were happy about it and presumed because they authorities said it was the right thing for them, then that was ok. sounds a bit like now .

Sounds to me like you are providing a cop out for our authoritarian state and church establishments here, kind of ironic really considering

Oh and would people ever please look up 'gombeen'

Ya cos MM really is the kind of guy that likes a piss up isnt he? Do you even have the slightest notion of how diplomacy and international relations work??

• Advertisement

Ya cos MM really is the kind of guy that likes a piss up isnt he? Do you even have the slightest notion of how diplomacy and international relations work??

No they don't. And they haven't asked to be told or given an indication that they're keen to learn. Some people think that they know how it works from reading The Sun.

They can work over zoom for now.

There is a virus killing millions upon millions and has destroyed countless more lives. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Edz87 wrote: »
    They can work over zoom for now.

There is a virus killing millions upon millions and has destroyed countless more lives. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Not hard to grasp at all, i was replying to the Professor of International Relations, i didnt offer any opinion on whether MM should go to USA

Wouldn’t go so far as to say they were happy about it maybe it was just easier to go along with as the power of the church was so great and people just acquiesced I’d say. Terrible times though and so much wrong done.

GAA this week putting pressure on for their games to get back now, there will be massive pressure once vulnerale are vaccinated by groups like sports/airlines/hotels once risk is gone very low. id say all pubs /hotels/restaurunts will be open in june. sure they want us to holiday in ireland this summer , not everyone has a tent or caravan they can stay in if hotels and pubs are shut

Really?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0211/1196537-horan-lack-of-bubbles-the-reason-gaa-cant-come-back/
    "We have an appetite to go back and play the games but we feel, as both a management committee and the covid advisory committee, that it's not safe and it wouldn't be responsible to go back at the moment such is the level of the virus within society."

Here’s not the place to discuss government with someone who doesn’t know how government works.

Meeting Biden is a 15 minute photo op. Anybody who thinks this is the only time the Taoiseach [Martin or otherwise] gets to meet and speak with the US President then they are sadly mistaken. Its a photo op followed by dinner with Congress. Its as much of a weekend holiday for him [which he personally no-no'ed] as a weekend in Lanzarote for someone who get away for a weekend.

I have a feeling you need alot more than 15 minutes. This is an overglorified photo op, followed by dinner with congress. This is just as much of a weekend holiday for him as the weekends in Lanzarote he personally banned for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Why are small business's shut whereas all the mega corporations can stay open? Why is professional sport deemed 'essential' while its a criminal offence to play a game of five a side soccer with your friends?

All of these big companies have made millions and millions out of these lockdowns and also have been able to cut salary costs massively by laying off 'non essential' people and forcing people to work from home. These are the same corporations which haven't been paying a penny of tax in this country for years and have the Irish government in their back pocket. The people who think lockdowns are purely to save lives are unbelievably naïve. The global elite owned 90% of everything before this pandemic and after they'll own closer to 99%. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. We're getting screwed and some people are begging for more.

Meeting Biden is a 15 minute photo op. Anybody who thinks this is the only time the Taoiseach [Martin or otherwise] gets to meet and speak with the US President then they are sadly mistaken. Its a photo op followed by dinner with Congress. Its as much of a weekend holiday for him [which he personally no-no'ed] as a weekend in Lanzarote for someone who get away for a weekend.

Yeah. You don’t understand how it works. That’s ok.

As I said,it’s appropriate that it isn’t going ahead this year as Biden will ensure the tradition is continued in the future. That’s the main thing.

Here’s not the place to chat about how diplomacy works and you haven’t suggested you want to learn how it works. So no point going on about something you don’t know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Parachutes wrote: »
    Why are small business's shut whereas all the mega corporations can stay open? Why is professional sport deemed 'essential' while its a criminal offence to play a game of five a side soccer with your friends?

All of these big companies have made millions and millions out of these lockdowns and also have been able to cut salary costs massively by laying off 'non essential' people and forcing people to work from home. These are the same corporations which haven't been paying a penny of tax in this country for years and have the Irish government in their back pocket. The people who think lockdowns are purely to save lives are unbelievably naïve. The global elite owned 90% of everything before this pandemic and after they'll own closer to 99%. The rich get richer while the poor get poorer. We're getting screwed and some people are begging for more.

I would have lost the plot and I'm sure there 10s of thousands just like me if I didn't have a bit of sport to keep me going during the week. As for major corporations staying open, do you want a few more 100 thousand on the pup, plus what is wrong with forcing them to work from home. I'm not aware of mass layoffs either in this country. Have you examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

We are a tiny country on the edge of Europe, if our leader 8f you wanna call him that gets an invite to meet one of the most important figures in the world right now, then yes dam right he should go.

Yeah. You don’t understand how it works. That’s ok.

As I said,it’s appropriate that it isn’t going ahead this year as Biden will ensure the tradition is continued in the future. That’s the main thing.

Here’s not the place to chat about how diplomacy works and you haven’t suggested you want to learn how it works. So no point going on about something you don’t know about.

LOL. I grew up in the States. You're not telling me anything that isn't common knowledge.

This is an overglorified holiday for him. If you really believe this is the only time he can meet and talk to the US President then you need to learn how diplomacy works before telling others to.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

niallo27 wrote: »
    I would have lost the plot and I'm sure there 10s of thousands just like me if I didn't have a bit of sport to keep me going during the week. As for major corporations staying open, do you want a few more 100 thousand on the pup, plus what is wrong with forcing them to work from home. I'm not aware of mass layoffs either in this country. Have you examples.

It's grand sure, keep us locked up forever once Liverpool are playing in front of an empty stadium every weekend :rolleyes:

Do you really need a source for the amount of people who have lost their livelihoods due to lockdowns? Come on now, look around you. The pup is great until the bubble bursts and we're in austerity for the next 100 years and us saps and future generations will pay for it of course :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Take any discussion of Paddies Day and Michael Martin meeting (or indeed not meeting) Joe Biden to the dedicated thread in CA

I have a feeling you need alot more than 15 minutes. This is an overglorified photo op, followed by dinner with congress. This is just as much of a weekend holiday for him as the weekends in Lanzarote he personally banned for the year.

Seriously wtf?? Oh forget it, im outta here

It's grand sure, keep us locked up forever once Liverpool are playing in front of an empty stadium every weekend :rolleyes:

Do you really need a source for the amount of people who have lost their livelihoods due to lockdowns? Come on now, look around you. The pup is great until the bubble bursts and we're in austerity for the next 100 years and us saps and future generations will pay for it of course :rolleyes:

But thats not what you posted is it?
    All of these big companies have made millions and millions out of these lockdowns and also have been able to cut salary costs massively by laying off 'non essential' people and forcing people to work from home. These are the same corporations which haven't been paying a penny of tax in this country for years and have the Irish government in their back pocket.

So what companies in particular are laying off non essential workers while at the same time not paying any tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Shows the mentality of the people we are delaing with i suppose. Infantile though it is i can kinda get mehole and leak to an extent but plastic sheeting? ffs what kind of mind thinks of that and then posts it?:confused:

Plastic Sheeting is a nickname for Paschal Sheehy which he gained affectionately as he was being known to be happy reporting in any weather conditions.....it is quite commonly used for him and one I happen to like, it's a bit of Irish humour, something I think the Irish are pretty good at.

Does any nickname on a forum being used mean the person using it is infantile or would you prefer if we only ever used someone's proper name in full ?

What amazes me is some other poster even explained it to you but you still feel it necessary to question my mentality.

Have you ever used a nickname for anyone ? If so was that infantile ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Rugby players, who I see swan around south Dublin ordering coffee, are currently playing international matches while us plebs are deprived of the opportunity to play some football or tennis.:rolleyes:

Complete and utter bull****. The vested interests group will always have their sway. It's like everything; the interests of the few get listened to because they have the coordination and clout to be able to lobby successfully for their agenda.

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Plastic Sheeting is a nickname for Paschal Sheehy which he gained affectionately as he was being known to be happy reporting in any weather conditions.....it is quite commonly used for him and one I happen to like, it's a bit of Irish humour, something I think the Irish are pretty good at.

Does any nickname on a forum being used mean the person using it is infantile or would you prefer if we only ever used someone's proper name in full ?

What amazes me is some other poster even explained it to you but you still feel it necessary to question my mentality.

Have you ever used a nickname for anyone ? If so was that infantile ?

Fair enough, never heard that nickname of his tbh. LOl town i live in 90% of people have nicknames but most of them are quite witty and clever anyway point taken

• Advertisement

Hi everyone
    This is my first post but I’ve actually been following this thread since it started and I have a few observations I’d like to share.
    I’ve been struck by the varying opinions on both sides of this argument, and I have to say I find some are very surprising.
    Personally, I can see validity on both sides. I think we can all accept that restrictions were/are necessary in order to bring the levels of infections down, which is happening, but very slowly, creating a real sense of “what’s the point of it all” for many. I think there needs to be a real discourse on the fact that it is simply not possible to save every single life. People die everyday, it’s not pleasant and it’s not pretty but it’s life. One thing I can thank this pandemic for is that I am actually no longer afraid of dying, because living as we are, is not a decent life. We’re alive, but we are certainly not living.
    The reality is, that the death rate as a result of covid is so very low, and high only among the vulnerable.
    I really resonated with the poster talking about how they had become bitter lately, as I have too. I am 30, single, I live alone and work from home. I have no social life, no chance of finding a partner, creating a family, advancing my career and travelling outside Ireland which is a real bugbear for me. I am growing an attitude of “to hell with the vulnerable” lately, and I don’t like it, but I think a lot of people are starting to think the same. Not all lives are equal, and putting my life on pause to ensure an older person gets what, 2/3 more years of life is not an equitable trade. I don’t know, maybe being alone all the time is seriously starting to affect me mentally but this isn’t a good attitude to have. Im not so sure people will be able to tolerate much more of this and to be quite honest, I’m thinking civil disobedience will be a guarantee after Easter. Normally I wouldn’t be an advocate of that either, but I’m not so sure anymore.
    The reality is these rolling lockdowns are going to create many more problems than anyone in government can anticipate.
    I think that once the over 70s and those with underlying conditions are vaccinated we should absolutely open everything. We have an economy to support and it’s the only way to sensibly get back to some semblance of normality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement