Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

Can we set-up a consent system where everyone with this attitude waivers the right to an ICU bed?

Sure.

Red wristband: no restrictions apply to you, blue wristband wearers have absolute medical priority over you.

Blue wristband: you must follow all restrictions to the letter, you have absolute priority over red wristband holders in the allocation of medical resources for the duration of restrictions, and all COVID-related expenditure will be recouped from your income and wealth over the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

So many people in government flying kites that they’ve all got tangled up. Add in NPHET and radio virologists throwing in their two cents and we have a right mess

According to some here it will be clearer in 2 weeks time.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭quokula

Nermal wrote: »
    Sure.

Red wristband: no restrictions apply to you, blue wristband wearers have absolute medical priority over you.

Blue wristband: you must follow all restrictions to the letter, you have absolute priority over red wristband holders in the allocation of medical resources for the duration of restrictions, and all COVID-related expenditure will be recouped from your income and wealth over the next decade.

If they could come up with a system where they could ensure that it's only the red wristband wearers and their families who can die or suffer severe illness then I'd sign up for a blue wristband and that deal no problem.

Unfortunately we have no way to stop the completely selfish red wristband wearers from putting everyone else's lives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

France has schools opened since January.

UK has 15,000,000 + with first vaccine jab received already.

Large parts of Italy already re opened restaurants etc.

I mean to answer in short - yes rest of Europe is getting back to normal

France also has a curfew of 6pm.
    Their restaurants and bars are all closed.
    I can't see a 6pm curfew going down well here, regardless if the schools are open or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

W123-80's wrote: »
    France also has a curfew of 6pm.
    Their restaurants and bars are all closed.
    I can't see a 6pm curfew going down well here, regardless if the schools are open or not.

I would gladly trade a curfew for schools being open TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I did mention UK and Italy but you chose not to discuss that.

You are right, reality means nothing in this discussion.

PS schools re opening is very big. Dont know if you are a parent or not but for parents that would be highest priority / benefit.

I don’t know about Italy and I do know about the uk - it’s in full lockdown, similar to Ireland. The uk has about 4times the %population vaccinated compared to Ireland and it is still in full lockdown. They are announcing something on Thursday about a plan to reopen. So at the moment but is most certainly in full lockdown and most certainly not “opening up”.

So can I take it you’d be ok with curfew in Ireland if the schools since you cited France as “opening up”?

France has schools opened since January.

UK has 15,000,000 + with first vaccine jab received already.

Large parts of Italy already re opened restaurants etc.

I mean to answer in short - yes rest of Europe is getting back to normal

Schools are not even open in England
    Things are not nearly back to normal.
    Europe is not nearly back to normal!

Oh here. This is just “grass is greener on the other side” nonsense. No, people would not be happier if the schools were open and there was a government enforced curfew for 12 hours a day. There are enough nazi references as it is.

People would just be roughly equally unhappy, for different reasons if we had schools and curfews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

I think I would too tbh.
    I'd miss my midweek evening out rambling around Lidl though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Oh here. This is just “grass is greener on the other side” nonsense. No, people would not be happier if the schools were open and there was a government enforced curfew for 12 hours a day. There are enough nazi references as it is.

People would just be roughly equally unhappy, for different reasons if we had schools and curfews.

I’d be happier

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Schools are not even open in England
    Things are not nearly back to normal.
    Europe is not nearly back to normal!

Ah, I presume they said it without really thinking it through and expected a few thanks. I doubt they expected to have to defend the idea that Europe is opening up.

It’s a ridiculous thing to have said. But it shows how far this discusses strayed from reality. Nobody knows when things will get back to normal. I think the last week has been a big wake-up call for lots of people. I think there were probably more people with a lot more certainty that things would get back to normal over the summer.

Now the reality that it won’t go back to normal over the summer is setting in. And the result is anger and confusion. The statement the Europe is opening up and citing a country with open schools and curfew as an example of a country which is opening up, sums up the anger and lack of informed thinking.

The reality is, we don’t know when this will end. Time will tell.

If you had a reasonable curfew say 7pm then yes personally i would take that to have schools open - personally i have no reason to be out past 7pm.

It'd be a simple sacrifice for the benefit of my children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

If you had a reasonable curfew say 7pm then yes personally i would take that to have schools open - personally i have no reason to be out past 7pm.

Do France for example have a 5k limit on non essential travel?

And for every one of you, there would be load of people who would be more upset and making nazi and North Korea references.

Just look at how many nazi references you see around now, imagine they were asking for government sanctioned documentation after 6pm.

A curfew would make little difference to me either - I only have to go outside for shopping and exercise. The notion that a country with a curfew for half the day is an example of a country which is “opening up” is just silly.

In any case, we don’t have curfew and the weather will get warmer and more people are getting vaccinated. Things are moving in the right direction.

the kelt wrote: »

Haven't a clue

But that's just you, there will be thousands of others who don't have kids and don't fancy being under house arrest at 7pm

You just can't please everyone

Not sure about the distance but you can be asked for documentation of your reason for being out of the house at any time. E.g a printed doctor appointment.
    With a curfew from 6pm-6am

Different countries have different rules. The uk doesn’t have a 5km limit either, but I don’t think anyone pips suggests they’re not in lockdown similar to Ireland.

Not sure about the distance but you can be asked for documentation of your reason for being out of the house at any time. E.g a printed doctor appointment.
    With a curfew from 6am-6pm

Different countries have different rules. The uk doesn’t have a 5km limit either, but I don’t think anyone pips suggests they’re not in lockdown similar to Ireland.

Sure you can be asked for documentation here too, have been numerous times. Same as France you can’t move during curfew unless valid reason, here you can’t move more than 5k without valid reason.

It’s a time curfew versus a distance curfew. You’re still limited in your movements!

Except the have their schools open which of course is a positive and makes people’s lives easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

In any case, we don’t have curfew and the weather will gwtbwaemwr and more people are getting vaccinated. Things are moving in the right direction.

Yes, this weather condition would be a step forward:confused:

Sure you can be asked for documentation here too, have been numerous times. Same as France you can’t move during curfew unless valid reason, here you can’t move more than 5k without valid reason.

It’s a time curfew versus a distance curfew.

You talk too much sense, stop.

• Advertisement

Except the have their schools open which of course is a positive and makes people’s lives easier.
    Sure both Ireland and France are in similar lockdowns. France is not “opening up” as the poster said earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not sure a curfew Vs distance would work, virus spreads as much before 6pm as after but because it's an infections disease if I catch it I can't directly spread it to somebody over 5kms away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

bubblypop wrote: »
    But that's just you, there will be thousands of others who don't have kids and don't fancy being under house arrest at 7pm

You just can't please everyone

Exactly, could be 6 or 7 before i’d finish up with my work some evenings. So how would that work travelling to my ‘support bubble’ house after 7pm :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

And what about the vast majority of the population who don’t have school going children? I’m not willing to be subjected to a draconian curfew for the sake of your and other peoples children.

I want to see schools back but no way in hell would I agree to a curfew for that to happen.

Harsh maybe, but I don’t care enough about yours or anyone else’s offspring.

Sure both Ireland and France are in similar lockdowns. France is not “opening up” as the poster said earlier.

It is.

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210129-resistance-in-the-kitchen-french-restaurateurs-strap-on-aprons-in-defiance-of-covid-19-closures

Resistance in the kitchen: French restaurateurs strap on aprons in defiance of Covid-19 closures

I know its difficult for you to understand, but things re open when people re open them. Not much to do with government.

Here is also some news from Italy for you to read

Italy on Monday relaxed coronavirus restrictions in most of its regions, allowing greater freedom to travel and the daytime reopening of bars, restaurants and museums.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210201-restaurants-and-museums-reopen-as-italy-relaxes-coronavirus-curbs

I am sorry but this is the reality...

Actually that’s not what he said at all, he said France had schools opened since January which you took to be saying France is opening up and ran with it. He never said that, did mention large parts of Italy opened restaurants.

So we do have a curfew really just not by official title, same as France and don’t even have schools open for example to give people a bit of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I

France had a 2km limit,and the police in every city/town and village where actively patrolling the streets and handing out fines like confetti.
    They also have a curfew https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55669172
    Mate of mine is there 25 years and we talk on Skype weekly.

I genuinely dont understand whats the obsession with posting "Europe is not returning to normal"? have people placed bets or do we really think that Ireland is in line with Europe on lockdowns, have been, is and will be? come on

I

France had a 2km limit,and the police in every city/town and village where actively patrolling the streets and handing out fines like confetti.
    They also have a curfew https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55669172
    Mate of mine is there 25 years and we talk on Skype weekly.

Do they have that any more or just a curfew?

• Advertisement

Actually that’s not what he said at all, he said France had schools opened since January which you took to be saying France is opening up and ran with it. He never said that, did mention large parts of Italy opened restaurants.

So we do have a curfew really just not by official title, same as France and don’t even have schools open for example to give people a bit of relief.

You have the order the wrong way around. They said Europe is opening up, I said it wasn't. They said France has schools open, I said France also has curfews. France and Ireland are both in lockdowns of slightly different kinds. The original point that "Europe i opening up" is not true, French schools (and curfews and a some restaurants opening) not withstanding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement