Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-covid-plan-ban-to-remain-on-indoor-house-visits-and-hospitality-1081139.html

“ Indoor house visits and the opening of the hospitality sector are set to remain banned under the Government’s new strategy for “Living with Covid-19.”
    ” for how long isn’t mentioned.

Government being cautiously optimistic gatherings more than 50 come September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

France has schools opened since January.

UK has 15,000,000 + with first vaccine jab received already.

Large parts of Italy already re opened restaurants etc.

I mean to answer in short - yes rest of Europe is getting back to normal
    You have the order the wrong way around. They said Europe is opening up, I said it wasn't. They said France has schools open, I said France also has curfews. France and Ireland are both in lockdowns of slightly different kinds. The original point that "Europe i opening up" is not true, French schools (and curfews and a some restaurants opening) not withstanding.

Youre the only one mentioning Europe is opening up in all honesty.

People did mention about getting back to normal as per italy for example.

I genuinely dont understand whats the obsession with posting "Europe is not returning to normal"? have people placed bets or do we really think that Ireland is in line with Europe on lockdowns, have been, is and will be? come on

Yes I think Ireland is on par with many European countries.
    Why would people think it isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Micky 32 wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-covid-plan-ban-to-remain-on-indoor-house-visits-and-hospitality-1081139.html

“ Indoor house visits and the opening of the hospitality sector are set to remain banned under the Government’s new strategy for “Living with Covid-19.”

Government being cautiously optimistic gatherings up to 50 come September.

So Italy is opening restaurants and we cant even visit someones house for the next 2 and a half months

but

"Yes I think Ireland is on par with many European countries.
    Why would people think it isn't?"

And

"We're ahead of most European countries in terms of the % of the population vaccinated so I'd say we'll probably get back to normal at about the same rate as most of Europe"

Cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

And then a couple of weeks later they throw us back into Level 5 again for the Winter "Just to be on the safe side"

They're undermining the vaccination process with this nonsense. What's the point of getting vaccinated if we still have to wear masks and we're subjected to lockdowns? If you're a Healthy individual its not worth it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

When will be able to travel outside 5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

bubblypop wrote: »

It never has, it was slower all of last year at least in dublin, been here 10 months getting out in 2 weeks

France hair salons and other business open today

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-52623495

as someone has said maybe their virus is different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    When will be able to travel outside 5k?

This will be the interesting one, as it's the one preventing people from heading to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

Austria started reopening last week: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria/austria-to-loosen-lockdown-allowing-shops-and-schools-to-reopen-idINKBN2A1340

Italy also easing restrictions.

We will be paddy last regarding opening up, as we were last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    And then a couple of weeks later they throw us back into Level 5 again for the Winter "Just to be on the safe side"

They're undermining the vaccination process with this nonsense. What's the point of getting vaccinated if we still have to wear masks and we're subjected to lockdowns? If you're a Healthy individual its not worth it at all.

Over 70's will have both doses by May.

Lockdown will heavily be lifted then when hospitals are at flu like numbers.

Should be back open then but cautiously and outdoor dining and beer gardens will be open and staycation s possible.

I'm just hoping they'll reopen sooner though.

• Advertisement

Over 70's will have both doses by May.

Lockdown will heavily be lifted then when hospitals are at flu like numbers.

Should be back open then but cautiously and outdoor dining and beer gardens will be open and staycation s possible.

I'm just hoping they'll reopen sooner though.

Varadkar already claimed that there will be a lockdown during the Winter. So given how long they're dragging this one out for, the snail's pace reopening over Summer. We'll get a few weeks of "freedom" before they lock us down again for Winter. And there's no guarantee that will end in March 2022 when Spring officially begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

agoodpunt wrote: »
    It never has, it was slower all of last year at least in dublin, been here 10 months getting out in 2 weeks

France hair salons and other business open today

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-52623495

as someone has said maybe their virus is different
    BTownB wrote: »
    Austria started reopening last week: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-austria/austria-to-loosen-lockdown-allowing-shops-and-schools-to-reopen-idINKBN2A1340

Fantastic news. Predictable? yes.

It just amazes me at how acceptable some are of Irish govt and current "plan". This whole "lets wait and see" is akin to mad person repeating same thing to themselves.

How about lets slowly start to re open things next week and see?? Starting with schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Varadkar already claimed that there will be a lockdown during the Winter. So given how long they're dragging this one out for, the snail's pace reopening over Summer. We'll get a few weeks of "freedom" before they lock us down again for Winter. And there's no guarantee that will end in March 2022 when Spring officially begins.

No he didn't.

BTownB wrote: »

“Epidemiologically the issue is clear. The safest course would be to remain in lockdown,” Chancellor Sebastian Kurz told a news conference after discussions with scientific experts, influential provincial governors and opposition parties.

“But we know there is also children’s need to go back to school, there is the necessity of doing everything to keep unemployment as low as possible and there are of course also the social and psychological aspects that must also be taken into account,” he said, adding that the easing will start on Feb. 8.

Is this too much to ask from M Martin and Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I just can't see the opening being as slow as its being rumoured to be. Once it comes to may and other countries are opening people will start to go mad here. The vulnerable will be vaccinated and the cases will be low.

They are certainly Conservative with their timeliness for good reason.

Pubs reopen in September, now if there are any further vaccine supply chain issues like the astra zenaca one, that time line now seems a reality.

Now assume supply of vaccines ramps up as expected in the coming weeks and they can reopen pubs in June. They will then start the oh look we did such a great job easing restrictions earlier.

People are far more tolerant if expectations are met earlier as opposed to saying pubs will open in June, then you encounter delays, and change in to September only increasing the resentment and anger in the public.

“Epidemiologically the issue is clear. The safest course would be to remain in lockdown,” Chancellor Sebastian Kurz told a news conference after discussions with scientific experts, influential provincial governors and opposition parties.

“But we know there is also children’s need to go back to school, there is the necessity of doing everything to keep unemployment as low as possible and there are of course also the social and psychological aspects that must also be taken into account,” he said, adding that the easing will start on Feb. 8.

Is this too much to ask from M Martin and Leo?

It is becuase they [and the rest of the Dail] are sociopaths and only care about themselves. They would have been over their love affair of lockdowns if they were struggling to stay above water trying to pay bills and put food on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I read it as cautiously optimistic of having mass gatherings of MORE than 50 come September, rather than just up to 50. Really hopeful of that, as my business relies on decent sized indoor gatherings!!

It is becuase they [and the rest of the Dail] are sociopaths and only care about themselves. They would have been over their love affair of lockdowns if they were struggling to stay above water trying to pay bills and put food on the table.

I do agree that its absolutely bizarre we have public servants with 200,000 per year salary, 150,000 per year salary etc. while average Joe is on 350 euros per week.

Is M Martin and Leo doing anything truly spectacular on day to day basis? Or even remotely spectacular? For the last 6 months all I saw on the news is "Northern Ireland is entering lockdown, a statement from M Martin will follow today"

and ofcourse

"I am actually surprised some of the pubs are still closed in our country" Leo in August 2020.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Clinical trial to begin to test Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine efficacy among children
    Researchers will use 300 volunteers to assess whether the jab - known as the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine - will produce a strong immune response in children aged between six and 17.

It doesn't say exactly how long the trial is expected to last but they did say "Professor Jonathan Van-Tam told ITV News: "It is perfectly possible that we will have some licensed children's vaccines for Covid-19 by the end of the year.""

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0213/1196918-covid-19-vaccine/

This is good news. Moving towards vaccinating everyone into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I read it as cautiously optimistic of having mass gatherings of MORE than 50 come September, rather than just up to 50. Really hopeful of that, as my business relies on decent sized indoor gatherings!!

Apologies, i’m in no way pessimistic, just a typo :pac: going to edit it now.

• Advertisement

All non essential businesses in Southern Spain are open till 6pm. Since last summer there has only been one full lockdown which lasted just over 2 weeks .

Bars and restaurants in Madrid are currently open till 9pm and this has been the case for a months, apart from a few weeks around the end of 2020 when restrictions came into place.

There is a night-time curfew in most regions from 10pm - 6am and one has to stay in their municipalities. From conversations, this hasn't been the biggest issue for most residents as they are happy to be still living somewhat normal lives during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Apologies, i’m in no way pessimistic, just a typo :pac: going to edit it now.

No worries at all. I'm actually delighted with even a 'cautious optimism'....as it was all doom and gloom last week with regard to gatherings!

I hear in UK they are looking to re open sooner.

MPs particularly want at least restricted weddings to be resumed and, get this, restriction free weddings starting in May.

Ambitious? Maybe. But then they got 15 m + people vaccinated already... incredible progress.

Good day today with good news coming from just about everywhere in Europe.

He said there will be a lockdown next winter? What exactly did he say?

It's such a shame to have to play this "what exactly did he say?" game, in response to so many of these claims.

For anyone who cares about what he actually said, he did not claim there will be a lockdown next winter.

He said "My best guess ... is that we’ll have a relatively normal summer in that the shops will be open, personal services will be open and domestic tourism will be a real possibility. And potentially outdoor gatherings of 10 to 15 people, maybe even 50 but nothing beyond that until we have a critical mass vaccinated of 70 to 80 per cent; we’re aiming for September for that.

“There is still a worry about next winter because it does seem there’s a seasonal element to this virus. People are indoors more and you’re 20 times more likely to get it indoors than out. So there will be a concern about a fourth wave of some sort next winter and there will be huge caution about allowing mass gatherings until we get through another winter."
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/leo-varadkar-i-want-to-make-sure-this-pandemic-is-a-lost-year-not-a-lost-decade-1.4480399

He said there's a concern about next winter - not that there will be a lockdown next winter.

People are terrible at remembering what people actually said. I think part of it is just sloppy interpretation and misremembering, but some of it is deliberate misrepresentation.

Could you show where he said there will be lockdowns or at least admit you misrepresented what he said?

kian163 wrote: »
    All non essential businesses in Southern Spain are open till 6pm. Since last summer there has only been one full lockdown which lasted just over 2 weeks .

Bars and restaurants in Madrid are currently open till 9pm and this has been the case for a months, apart from a few weeks around the end of 2020 when restrictions came into place.

There is a night-time curfew in most regions from 10pm - 6am and one has to stay in their municipalities. From conversations, this hasn't been the biggest issue for most residents as they are happy to be still living somewhat normal lives during the day.

OMG so jealous. Please us. please us.

Its that time of the year, thankfully earlier than bloody May, where we look abroad for positive news and wonder how in the gods name are all those EU countries killing their grannies with this reckless early re opening :rolleyes:

To calm ourselves down we keep repeating "Rest of Europe are in line with Ireland" "Rest of Europe are in line with Ireland" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I'm supposed to be getting married at the end of July - our third time rearranging. We're hoping for 50 guests to be allowed.

Not going to lie, the anxiety around it all has sucked a lot of the joy out of it.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be getting married at the end of July - our third time rearranging. We're hoping for 50 guests to be allowed.

Not going to lie, the anxiety around it all has sucked a lot of the joy out of it.

You'd imagine that's possible with a gathering of p to 50 people in July. If things go to plan then that could well happen.

So everyone would be happy if we open up next week with a curfew from 7pm to 7am?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

BigMo1 wrote: »

Unfortunately crystal balls are in short supply, but I wish you the best of luck and hope that you get to enjoy your day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

So everyone would be happy if we open up next week with a curfew from 7pm to 7am?

Yes - a curfew with open businesses and travel beyond 5k is much better than what we have now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement