Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

What is the critical mass? And to what is it critical?

From the article "It is still possible to have a critical mass of the adult population vaccinated against Covid-19 by September" ... “With regard to September, can I caveat it again, as I've tried to do many, many times by saying it's all highly provisional". ... “It got construed publicly as making promises,” he said. “These are not promises".

“But I can say that, based on the highly conditional forecast we have, it would still be possible to meet the September date".

“But again, it is highly, highly dependent on supply.”

I would like to know what a "critical mass" is, but if it's 80% of the population then I really wouldn't bet on them getting close to it.

Do you know what the critical mass is?

There are negligible numbers of people below the age of 70 getting sick and dying.

Perfectly healthy people who had no worries prior to March 2020 have lost their jobs are in danger of losing their homes and becoming homeless by the end of 2021.

It's like having your head held underwater or being suffocated with a pillow.

The country is going to go bust and there is going to be unrest because there is nowhere for these people to escape to.

This is utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

What is the critical mass? And to what is it critical?

From the article "It is still possible to have a critical mass of the adult population vaccinated against Covid-19 by September" ... “With regard to September, can I caveat it again, as I've tried to do many, many times by saying it's all highly provisional". ... “It got construed publicly as making promises,” he said. “These are not promises".

“But I can say that, based on the highly conditional forecast we have, it would still be possible to meet the September date".

“But again, it is highly, highly dependent on supply.”

I would like to know what a "critical mass" is, but if it's 80% of the population then I really wouldn't bet on them getting close to it.

Do you know what the critical mass is?

Leo has said critical mass is 70-80% of the population vaccinated, to be done by September (Irish Times interview).

Donnelly has said that a critical mass of the adult population to be vaccinated by September but no percentages are mentioned (the independent article I linked above).

All caveated by things going well and according to plan.

So the wording changes on what exactly constitutes 'critical mass' but, irrespective of the numbers/percentages of population, my reading is that it's the point in which we can assume herd immunity and lift all restrictions.....September being the target.

It remains to be seen if we meet it (but I'm confident we will).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There are negligible numbers of people below the age of 70 getting sick and dying.

Perfectly healthy people who had no worries prior to March 2020 have lost their jobs are in danger of losing their homes and becoming homeless by the end of 2021.

It's like having your head held underwater or being suffocated with a pillow.

The country is going to go bust and there is going to be unrest because there is nowhere for these people to escape to.

This is utterly stupid.

Do you know what the critical mass referred to in the article, is?

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Leo has said critical mass is 70-80% of the population vaccinated, to be done by September (Irish Times interview).

Donnelly has said that a critical mass of the adult population to be vaccinated by September but no percentages are mentioned (the independent article I linked above).

All caveated by things going well and according to plan.

So the wording changes on what exactly constitutes 'critical mass' but, irrespective of the numbers/percentages of population, my reading is that it's the point in which we can assume herd immunity and lift all restrictions.....September being the target.

It remains to be seen if we meet it (but I'm confident we will).

So critical mass might be 70-80% of the population or it might be something else and we don't know exactly what it is. Is that a fair assessment?

Where did you get that critical mass (whatever it is) will mean lifting all restrictions? Who said that would happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I couldn't care less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Are they? What has been found?
    Where did it say that?

Maybe that will happen and if it does then, great.

Where did you get that critical mass (whatever it is) will mean lifting all restrictions? Who said that would happen?

Interrogation :pac:

Are you in favour of lifting restrictions? I have this strange feeling I am alright Jack attitude here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gestureapo

My observations

I'm thinking these people involved in the decision making are largely unaffected by restrictions themselves

There's also a large "I'm alright jack" / unsociable cohort of the population to whom mask wearing and SD and restrictions is immaterial

Also the PUP and lockdown is building up a crisis with drug and alcohol addiction

Gestureapo wrote: »
    My observations

I'm thinking these people involved in the decision making are largely unaffected by restrictions themselves

There's also a large "I'm alright jack" / unsociable cohort of the population to whom mask wearing and SD and restrictions is immaterial

Also the PUP and lockdown is building up a crisis with drug and alcohol addiction

You are unfortunately correct on all of these.

Last 1 is most worrying.

In general I dont think people realize yet just how horrifying it is to have 15% unemployment base. For the next year or two or more. These people will eventually go to 200 euros a week and when they do its not going to be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Le bruise, circa 30 minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dalyboy wrote: »
    Considering that the vulnerable and elderly will be vaccinated by end of May or beginning of June we need to send a clear and precise message to NPHET, the government , pro downers and potty zero loon professor.

Pick a date , advertise it and cameras on the ready.

National HUGS day.
    Human behaviour liberty party

Hug a granny , hug a granddad , hug a stranger , hug a vulnerable person etc.

Then send these photos to the RTE dooms day machine , NPHET, all the political parties , looney left etc

It’ll end when we say it ends. This could be could be the spark.

That's the best suggestion I've seen yet. Well done dalyboy!

I believe the Italians instigated something similar in the early days of the Pandemic there.

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1224661041495212032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1224661041495212032%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-3984218153418800642.ampproject.net%2F2101300534005%2Fframe.html
    https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-02-05/People-in-Italy-encourage-China-in-fight-against-novel-coronavirus-NPqNkY17e8/index.html

I mean what could possibly go wrong :pac:

• Advertisement

Interrogation :pac:

Are you in favour of lifting restrictions? I have this strange feeling I am alright Jack attitude here :pac:

I think it's fair to ask questions in a discussion forum. It's easy to get opinions from people, it has proven much harder to get people to articulate the reasoning behind them. Yer man from The Streets had a lyric " it's hard enough to remember my opinions, let alone the reasons for them". It's pretty apt to this situation.

But since you asked a question, which is a very reasonable thing to do in a discussion forum, I'll answer it.
    I think your question is very broad so if you are asking if they should lift all restrictions now, then no, If you're asking if they should lift some restrictions soon, then yes. And i think it will come time to lift them soon. I imagine they will begin lifting restriction in the next while.

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Le bruise, circa 30 minutes ago

Ah, well as long as you're not expecting it to happen, then it's no bother.

As far as I know, nobody has said that we will be rid of restrictions if they hit the 70-80% target in September or the Critical mass" target - whatever that is.

So is it fair to say that neither of us are expecting them to lift all restrictions even if they hit the September target?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

gozunda wrote: »

Oh ?
    Did the Italians have a fully working vaccine back in the early days of the pandemic?

Please read my post again and read your reply.

Detail is lost on you yeah ?

Actually I presume that task may be too difficult so I’ll point out the detail for you.

“ Considering that the vulnerable and elderly will be vaccinated by end of May or beginning of June”
    Duh ?

Oh ? Did the Italians have a fully working vaccine back in the early days of the pandemic? Please read my post again and read your reply. Detail is lost on you yeah ?
    Protection from COVID-19

After having both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, most people will be protected against the virus.

There is a small chance you might still get COVID-19 after vaccination. Even if you do get COVID-19, being vaccinated can reduce how serious your symptoms will be.

We do not know yet if being vaccinated stops you from spreading COVID-19 to other people.

The HSE, Department of Health and the World Health Organization recommends that you get your COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered to you.

Even after you are vaccinated, continue to follow public health advice on how to stop the spread of COVID-19. For example, social distancing, wearing a face covering and washing your hands properly and often.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/immunity-covid-19-vaccine.html
    There's no evidence that any of the current Covid-19 vaccines can completely stop people from being infected – and this has implications for our prospects of achieving herd immunity.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210203-why-vaccinated-people-may-still-be-able-to-spread-covid-19

"Detail lost on you yeah ?"

I am off to UK.

:pac:

With so many vaccinated the pressure to re open is just well unbearable now. Boris needs to get a haircut and re open the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I agree we can't open up as normal without many people vaccinated.

What I don't understand is why all indications from Government at the moment are that this summer will be more restricted than last summer, when we had no vaccines at all.

I guess its called learning lessons from history.

LOL What kind of woke PC BS is this?

Feel free to add more cliches to your snowflakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's actually the exact opposite of learning from history!!!

• Advertisement

It’s not me the detail is lost on.
    Fact. Who gives a dam if we have 50k + per day infections once the vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated. The deaths and serious effects of infection will be next to NOTHING
    This underlined detail cuts apart your weak / feeble position at the knees.

It’s not me the detail is lost on.
    NOT A Fact. Who gives a dam if we have 50k + per day infections once the vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated. The deaths and serious effects of infection will be next to NOTHING. This underlined detail cuts apart your weak / feeble position at the knees.

FYP ;)

Not my "position" btw. I dont write the health advice for the HSE. Here it is again - just in case you missed it.
    Protection from COVID-19

After having both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, most people will be protected against the virus.

There is a small chance you might still get COVID-19 after vaccination. Even if you do get COVID-19, being vaccinated can reduce how serious your symptoms will be.

We do not know yet if being vaccinated stops you from spreading COVID-19 to other people.

The HSE, Department of Health and the World Health Organization recommends that you get your COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered to you.

Even after you are vaccinated, continue to follow public health advice on how to stop the spread of COVID-19. For example, social distancing, wearing a face covering and washing your hands properly and often.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/immunity-covid-19-vaccine.html

And yet oddly you wish to risk the elderly and vulnerable by suggesting those yet to be vaccinated go hug them?
    dalyboy wrote:
    Hug a granny , hug a granddad , hug a stranger , hug a vulnerable person etc.

Then send these photos to the RTE dooms day machine , NPHET, all the political parties , looney left etc

It’ll end when we say it ends. This could be could be the spark.

I'd say any of those who remain at risk no matter how small that risk is - plus their families and relatives would give a significant "Dam" if you try to hug someone just to get some stupid point scoring in.

It's actually the exact opposite of learning from history!!!

I think you might need to learn what the word opposite means.

I think you might need to learn what the word opposite means.

Was there a single week, let alone month...no day, I'll take one day where a hospital in Ireland was swamped by Covid patients in Ireland between June -Sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

There are huge numbers of people who are ignoring restrictions at this stage. Any slight doubts I had about full normality resuming (e.g. the continued wearing of face masks) were quashed today by what I encountered.

As I said before, there are two parallel worlds in Ireland at the moment. If you think everyone is sat at home twidling their thumbs, think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Our case numbers were low all summer despite the easing of restrictions.

Was there a single week, let alone month...no day, I'll take one day where a hospital in Ireland was swamped by Covid patients in Ireland between June -Sept?

Was there not?

Our case numbers were low all summer despite the easing of restrictions.

and this time they'll be even lower ;) Learning is fun.

and this time they'll be even lower ;) Learning is fun.

Ah ok.. you are on a wind up, best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

GazzaL wrote: »
    There are huge numbers of people who are ignoring restrictions at this stage. Any slight doubts I had about full normality resuming (e.g. the continued wearing of face masks)

Really? 100% of people are still wearing masks in my local Dunne's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement