Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

PTH2009 wrote: »
    With todays news of us been number 1 on the infection rates list I think the egos of NPHET/Dr Tony/Leo and MM will be badly hurt they will want further lockdowns now

How would it hurt their egos. NEPHET predicted this kind of escalation if restrictions weren't followed over christmas, and clearly a significant number of people did not follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,253 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

wiggle16 wrote: »
    How would it hurt their egos. NEPHET predicted this kind of escalation if restrictions weren't followed over christmas, and clearly a significant number of people did not follow them.

They will want to keep the restrictions cause of that reason

They will want to keep the restrictions cause of that reason

Yes but I'd imagine that's because they are necessary, not because of their hurt feelings.

14 million UK residents targeted to receive at least one dose by mid February. More than one fifth of their population, surely all but covering all their vulnerable, plus some.

In an Irish context that would be about 1 million people in the republic.

Our current target for late February is 135,000..............

We don't have access to the astrazenica vacccine until it is approved by the EU.

UK started lashing it out over a week ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes but I'd imagine that's because they are necessary, not because of their hurt feelings.

This moaning and whining by some who seem to think that these restrictions are being laid down because they just want to stop people having fun......... cop on!

There's a virus that needs to be contained! The restrictions are in place to facilitate this, not because Tony Holohan wants to block people going to Slimming World of a Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

With todays news of us been number 1 on the infection rates list I think the egos of NPHET/Dr Tony/Leo and MM will be badly hurt they will want further lockdowns now

NPHET weren't the ones advocating that everything be opened up as it was so their egos are probably not as hurt as you seem to think they should be.

They're probably too busy trying to get a handle on the fallout of the government's decisions to consider their egos.

Yeah Tony wanted restaurants not to open and when they did he was quoted in the media as saying just because they are open doesn't mean you have to / need to go to one.

He wasn't telling folk to not do their Christmas gift shopping but he was most certainly vocal that visiting restaurants was risky and of course unnecessary.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This moaning and whining by some who seem to think that these restrictions are being laid down because they just want to stop people having fun......... cop on!

There's a virus that needs to be contained! The restrictions are in place to facilitate this, not because Tony Holohan wants to block people going to Slimming World of a Tuesday evening.

This genuinely made me giggle - thank you! :)

It's maddening, some people are like children about this - it's like when a kid thinks their parents are just being mean to them by making them do their homework before going out to meet their friends.

The guy who owns the Bankers bar off Dame Lane (or least the person who runs their Twitter account) replied to one of Tony Holohan's account's tweets with the following just before christmas: https://twitter.com/thebankersbar/status/1340629431887532036

"You just hate the Hospitality industry" - like, I have every sympathy for publicans and restaurant owners, I really do, and that's not much good to them, but FFS how is it that some people are dense enough to think that the CMO/govt is on a crusade against fun and is out to get them??

There was no bother in Oct and Nov with Tesco, Dunnes and schools............. all the restaurants follow all the guidelines all of the time of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This genuinely made me giggle - thank you! :)

It's maddening, some people are like children about this - it's like when a kid thinks their parents are just being mean to them by making them do their homework before going out to meet their friends.

The guy who owns the Bankers bar off Dame Lane (or least the person who runs their Twitter account) replied to one of Tony Holohan's account's tweets with the following just before christmas: https://twitter.com/thebankersbar/status/1340629431887532036

"You just hate the Hospitality industry" - like, I have every sympathy for publicans and restaurant owners, I really do, and that's not much good to them, but FFS how is it that some people are dense enough to think that the CMO/govt is on a crusade against fun and is out to get them??

Hmmm, the bankers, let's remind ourselves, the MD (He's actually an employee) was caught out live on radio when he lamented the behaviour of crowds gathering outside his alledged closed premises, roll on a few minutes were he had to admit after a text sent to radio show "they had served regulars as he called them", this chap also a senior figure in tge Vitners lobbying group.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hmmm, the bankers, let's remind ourselves, the MD (He's actually an employee) was caught out live on radio when he lamented the behaviour of crowds gathering outside his alledged closed premises, roll on a few minutes were he had to admit after a text sent to radio show "they had served regulars as he called them", this chap also a senior figure in tge Vitners lobbying group.

What a f*ckin bell-end.

I didn't know that, thank you! Another strike on my list of reasons why I will never drink in certain pubs.

What a f*ckin bell-end.

I didn't know that, thank you! Another strike on my list of reasons why I will never drink in certain pubs.

Yes he's a complete T**L and it's been very telling how quite he's been since, he was once virgin media's go to interview set piece, you know the one we're someone in the back ground polishing glasses (that haven't been used in months), and wiping down counters (that also hadn't been used in months)

I feel for the hospitality sector but not the sanctimonious A******** interviewed who couldn't give a S*** about their staff, opened or closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

What a strange way to view things.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    What a strange way to view things.

Agreed, whilst I've no doubt MM and Leaky Leo have some serious questions to answer, I've never understood the viterol leveled at NPHET or Tony Houlihan. I've honestly believed the only consistent source of information has come from NPHET, particularly Philip Nolan. Government sadly have just been infighting, releasing mixed messages and have been utterly incoherent at times.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Agreed, whilst I've no doubt MM and Leaky Leo have some serious questions to answer, I've never understood the viterol leveled at NPHET or Tony Houlihan. I've honestly believed the only consistent source of information has come from NPHET, particularly Philip Nolan. Government sadly have just been infighting, releasing mixed messages and have been utterly incoherent at times.
    Couldn't agree more. I've got very annoyed at converstations in work where colleagues think that NPHET should be hung drawn and quartered for suggesting new restrictions - it seems to be very difficult for some people to understand that if NPHET didn't give its opinion, there would be no point in having them. Their job is not to worry about how the restrictions affect people: their function is to look at the numbers and tell the government what measures would bring those down, nothing more. It's up to the government then to make a call on it, which as you say they have done inconsistently and in a way which undermines confidence in both the govt and NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,019 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nphet had no objection to non essential shopping opening, or leaving schools open, choice between hospitality or visiting houses. Why did they not recommend a full lockdown harsher than ever before. Do people really think it was just hospitality that caused this, NPHET didn't see this coming. We are the worst in the world and they are just as much to blame.

Couldn't agree more. I've got very annoyed at converstations in work where colleagues think that NPHET should be hung drawn and quartered for suggesting new restrictions - it seems to be very difficult for some people to understand that if NPHET didn't give its opinion, there would be no point in having them. Their job is not to worry about how the restrictions affect people: their function is to look at the numbers and tell the government what measures would bring those down, nothing more. It's up to the government then to make a call on it, which as you say they have done inconsistently and in a way which undermines confidence in both the govt and NPHET.

If they only have one remit why is there such a backlash against the government for not taking their full advice and factoring in economic concerns in their choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

When will it all end?

For us here in Northern Europe, Britain & Ireland, best guess, late summer early autumn (this year).

niallo27 wrote: »
    Nphet had no objection to non essential shopping opening, or leaving schools open, choice between hospitality or visiting houses. Why did they not recommend a full lockdown harsher than ever before. Do people really think it was just hospitality that caused this, NPHET didn't see this coming. We are the worst in the world and they are just as much to blame.

NPHET weren't happy about hospitality opening but it is not their decision and it's not that relevant. Whats driven this spike is too many people visiting too many other people in their homes, which NPHET did rail against, and unfortunately it looks like too many people didn't listen or took too many chances and here we are.

This is exactly what NPHET said would happen. Can't fault them for calling it at all.

• Advertisement

If they only have one remit why is there such a backlash against the government for not taking their full advice and factoring in economic concerns in their choices.

I'm sorry but that question makes no sense, I don't know if it's the way you've phrased it or what but I can't follow it at all.

NPHET have one remit. The goverment has another. Both have got backlash for their decisions, but NPHET is only carrying out the functions it is designed to carry out, so the vitriol people have been directing at them is very unfair, imho

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Because the government made a balls of it and now we are where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Covid will be with us for a whole generation. That is because unfortunately the Irish are inherently stupid and think they know it all.

Until the Irish decide to pull their heads out of the arses nothing will change.

One of the worse infection rates in the world per capita all because people wanted a pint and to have Christmas with their mammies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

When all the vulnerable groups are vaccinated.

Because the government made a balls of it and now we are where we are.

But we had one of the longest and strictest lockdowns in the whole of Europe, our deaths from covid is actually really low. They way people are talking you would think we were on the piss for the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

When the wealth transfer from the working/middle class to the elites has been complete.

Covid will be with us for a whole generation. That is because unfortunately the Irish are inherently stupid and think they know it all.

Until the Irish decide to pull their heads out of the arses nothing will change.

One of the worse infection rates in the world per capita all because people wanted a pint and to have Christmas with their mammies.

Everything was open for much longer at the end of summer, why did we not go to number 1 in the world back then or was it just Christmas Dinner that caused it or was it because we were kept under such harsh restrictions for so long we all went mad. I genuinely can't understand why we are so bad.

Thing that worries me is that there will be a push to maintain restrictions for much longer than we think (and support from many on the main COVID thread to do so) since

1) we still don’t know if the vaccine stops transmission and
    2) it is likely to be required annually

Given that not every member of the population can possibly be vaccinated every single year and that, potentially, even those that are vaccinated can still spread it, I fear a long term focus on the case numbers and a complete failure to recognise that this will be endemic in our society, people will continue to catch it and die, but that we need to live with it like we live with the flu

I’d love to see a return to normality by late summer (and I mean proper normality) but I can just see NPHET pushing on and looking for permanent behavioural and societal changes (eg, restrictions on nightclubs and standing at the bar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I'm sorry but that question makes no sense, I don't know if it's the way you've phrased it or what but I can't follow it at all.

NPHET have one remit. The goverment has another. Both have got backlash for their decisions, but NPHET is only carrying out the functions it is designed to carry out, so the vitriol people have been directing at them is very unfair, imho

NPHET is an advisory body to the government.

Throughout much of this pandemic, NPHET has acted as if it were the government and Tony Holohan as de-facto taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Everything was open for much longer at the end of summer, why did we not go to number 1 in the world back then or was it just Christmas Dinner that caused it or was it because we were kept under such harsh restrictions for so long we all went mad. I genuinely can't understand why we are so bad.

Foreign travel, foreign travel and possibly foreign travel.

But Holohan blames the pubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement