Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

This lockdown is starting to get to me real bad. It's fúcking mental that it's against the law to go to a location outside my 5 kms. My local town is just over the limit away from me.

I've being sticking to the lock down rules but this constant extension is the kicker. All throughout January I was saying another 3 weeks left or 2 weeks now and then an extension was brought in. We are still not over that extension period and they are talking about another extension. I'm cracking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just stumbled upon this thread. Which is great!

Thank you to whoever started it and particularly to people who shared their experiences over the last few pages.

I WFH. I have a safe job. I am in a relationship.

Yet I absolutely hate my life. Absolutely nothing to do, at all. No end in sight. Last year we had summer to look forward to to travel, then we had xmas to look forward to. I spend 90% + in my home every week..

What have we got to look forward to this year?? getting 50-100 eur PCR tests per person prior to departure and then another 1 prior to arriving back? (hoping they are negative throughout)

As many here have posted already - we are not living.

Also am I the only 1 who finds Gardai at the airport asking citizens where they are going and whether their travel is essential absolutely bizarre? Are we actually being fined for leaving our country and or returning back? Speechless stuff.

Tbf eveyone has been asked not to engage in non essential travel. Its not personally directed at you. Perhaps best advice generally is to stay away from the airport / booking travel abroad - then there are no fines for travel there or back. Its not rocket science.

Tbf - a lot of criticism to the response been a non stop litany of groans from the start of the pandemic to present.

Whould we really prefer the UK system where it is currently Illegal to travel?

Just my two cents - but we are all in the same boat. Maybe for all of our peace of mind - take the time to learn a language. During the good weather spend time outside. During the summer pitch a tent in your garden if you have one. Take up a sport, activity and play some games with your oh. If you want to keep living life as best you can - it's up to you and no one else ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    weren't they mandatory over the Christmas period ?

Yes but only in crowded shopping areas.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

New Zealand is one example. Certain parts of Australia too.

Is this the same New Zealand which just had a large music festival?

This lockdown is starting to get to me real bad. It's fúcking mental that it's against the law to go to a location outside my 5 kms. My local town is just over the limit away from me.

I've being sticking to the lock down rules but this constant extension is the kicker. All throughout January I was saying another 3 weeks left or 2 weeks now and then an extension was brought in. We are still not over that extension period and they are talking about another extension. I'm cracking up.

It's not against the law. You can go to your local town for an essential reason. There's no law saying you can't go 5km away from your home.
    With the amount of complaining people do, you would think they would know the laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbf eveyone has been asked not to engage in non essential travel. Its not personally directed at you. Perhaps best advice generally is to stay away from the airport / booking travel abroad - then there are no fines for travel there or back. Its not rocket science.

Tbf - a lot of criticism to the response been a non stop litany of groans from the start of the pandemic to present.

Whould we really prefer the UK system where it is currently Illegal to travel?

Just my two cents - but we are all in the same boat. Maybe for all of our peace of mind - take the time to learn a language. During the good weather spend time outside. During the summer pitch a tent in your garden if you have one. Take up a sport, activity and play some games with your oh. If you want to keep living life as best you can - it's up to you and no one else ...

Thank you. You are right. I have plenty of money to afford PCR tests... Hopefully I get to go to atleast 3 European countries this year and them PCR tests drop down in price to 25-50 eur.

I wouldnt want to be setting up a tent in my back garden. It sounds fun and very much a life changing experience, but its not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gestureapo

Thankfully we're part of the EU and neighbor to UK

Government here will have to fall in line with what's happening elsewhere with easing.

They won't be able to maintain draconian restrictions unnecessarily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Gestureapo wrote: »

Government here will have to fall in line with what's happening elsewhere with easing.

This is my exact mindset at the moment

I’ve turned off all Ireland media 100% (Irish media is beyond palpable since day one)

Just targeting Euro news now . If things are changing positively and progressively in regards to travel/reopening etc it’ll change 1st anywhere but Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Correct, when cases are back in double digits, deaths down by a factor of 100 and the rest of Europe is on holidays, there's no way they can keep the tourist industry closed or prevent us going on holidays. I'd guess by July nearly everything will be open. Group 7 in the vaccination schedule is the key one here, once they make progress here then deaths attributable to covid should be less than one a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They didn't follow EU guidelines last year on travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Atm our restrictions are being brought into line with the UK CTA. (Overseas travel is currently illegal in the UK) We're falling into line with them with mandatory quarantine from specific countries plus testing etc to discourage non essential travel and try and reduce rate of infection.

I'd be fairly sure easing will come in time. But it would seem the UK government are not planning on changing their travel restrictions for this summer at least

gozunda wrote: »
    Atm our restrictions are being brought into line with the UK CTA. (Overseas travel is currently illegal in the UK) We're falling into line with them with mandatory quarantine from specific countries plus testing etc to discourage non essential travel and try and reduce rate of infection.

I'd be fairly sure easing will come in time. But it would seem the UK government are not planning on changing their travel restrictions for this summer at least

The UK is absolutely planning for travel for summer and are already planning a travel corridor with Greece.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14050907/vaccine-passports-brits-foreign-holidays-lift-lockdown/

I'd be happy if travel was illegal now until numbers are low and then open up for travel, but that's not going to happen. We'll have these restrictions still in place after the UK opens up.

I look forward to every day at home with the family
    We go for walks, cycles, have fun around the house
    We cook new meals, try out new recipes, teach the kids new skills
    I've never got to spend so much time with them, its great in that way
    And we WFH

Do you not have to work? What sort of "work" is this you do from home? We've never been so busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Tazz T wrote: »
    The UK is absolutely planning for travel for summer and are already planning a travel corridor with Greece.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14050907/vaccine-passports-brits-foreign-holidays-lift-lockdown/

I'd be happy if travel was illegal now until numbers are low and then open up for travel, but that's not going to happen. We'll have these restrictions still in place after the UK opens up.

The uk is miles ahead of almost everyone in terms of population vaccinated. So of course they will be in a position to open up before the rest. We’ll get there, the sooner the better, but these things can’t be done overnight

The uk is miles ahead of almost everyone in terms of population vaccinated. So of course they will be in a position to open up before the rest. We’ll get there, the sooner the better, but these things can’t be done overnight

I have family that got vaccines in the second week of January
    No date for the second dose yet though......

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

poisonated wrote: »
    Is this the same New Zealand which just had a large music festival?

Yep, and the same NZ that locked down certain places after ONE SINGLE CASE.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I have family that got vaccines in the second week of January
    No date for the second dose yet though......

That's great news for them. I expect there will be some difficulty with getting people the second dose within the 12 weeks. But it will get sorted out in time too.

The UK is on 24% while Ireland is reporting 5.4%. So not much point comparing them in terms of plans for reopening at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Imagine a starving Yemeni child reading this thread and seeing people moaning that they have nothing to look forward to, because they may not be able to go on 3 holidays this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Imagine a starving Yemeni child reading this thread and seeing people moaning that they have nothing to look forward to, because they may not be able to go on 3 holidays this year.

For real? How about you imagine a starving child seeing countries spending 10s of billions, twisting themselves into knots with fear of a mild disease, spending even more billions to get themselves vaccinated - while kids elsewhere starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'd rather the events that lead up to that child landing on the Covid page of boards.ie. Did some maniac in an NGO toss the child a laptop with the page open, or did the child hit random links before landing here? So many questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I'd rather the events that lead up to that child landing on the Covid page of boards.ie. Did some maniac in an NGO toss the child a laptop with the page open, or did the child hit random links before landing here? So many questions.

Surely they'd be on boards.ye?

Tazz T wrote: »
    They didn't follow EU guidelines last year on travel.

Broadly speaking they'll have to reflect EU restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'd wonder why their parents picked internet over food tbh.

My (intelligent normal) friend rang me to say she is isolating.
    Someone she worked with at the weekend tested positive, she herself is now waiting on her results, she has another test in ten days.
    So, as a good friend, I offered to do some shopping for her, drop it at her house, but there no need.
    Why?
    Because she went to the shops yesterday and stocked up, on her way home from her test.
    That's why the numbers don't go down quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Sounds more like a begrudging or you’re a Greta Thunderpants( whatever her name is, can’t remember) follower post. You have to love these hypocritical emotional blackmail posts. So you’ve never spent money on anything that you didn’t really need? You could have sent it to Yemen instead.

Imagine a rich right wing businessman/politician reading this thread and thinking 'look at those arguing plebs', who can't even afford to pay for PCRs/fines. I just have to say I'm on essential business and have a six month hol at my 6-star hotel in the Seychelles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

Someone she worked with at the weekend tested positive, she herself is now waiting on her results, she has another test in ten days.
    So, as a good friend, I offered to do some shopping for her, drop it at her house, but there no need.
    Why?
    Because she went to the shops yesterday and stocked up, on her way home from her test.

I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night from worrying if I had inadvertently put people at risk so I’m at a loss to explain going out of your way to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Multipass wrote: »
    For real? How about you imagine a starving child seeing countries spending 10s of billions, twisting themselves into knots with fear of a mild disease, spending even more billions to get themselves vaccinated - while kids elsewhere starve.

I ll never forget Irish govt paying part time workers 350 euro PUP March 2020 > June 2020, when those very same part time workers earned more like 150 euros pre covid.

What a bunch of idiots. And these people make decisions that direct our future....

I ll never forget Irish govt paying part time workers 350 euro PUP March 2020 > June 2020, when those very same part time workers earned more like 150 euros pre covid.

What a bunch of idiots. And these people make decisions that direct our future....
    Yeah it’s a tricky one. Anytime government needs to pay lots of people, they have choices which come into direct conflict around speed of payment vs checks and accuracy.

Established systems which have few changes in status and are very predictable, tend to work really well. State Pensions are predictable, have only one change in status when you reach pension age and have very high rates of accurate payments and low rate error and fraud.

Other programmes like unemployment benefits are less predictable and have much more changes in status as people move into and out of employment. So they need more checks and have lower rates of accuracy, higher rates of late payment and fraud.

They decided to prioritise getting the PUP payments out quickly which means minimal checks and results in more fraud and error and things like you outlined above (people actually getting more money than under normal circumstances). All in all it’s a good idea, but it has drawbacks.

• Advertisement

Why?

Stock Answer: This times a million, what a clown eh!

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement