Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tazz T wrote: »
    The UK is absolutely planning for travel for summer and are already planning a travel corridor with Greece.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14050907/vaccine-passports-brits-foreign-holidays-lift-lockdown/

I'd be happy if travel was illegal now until numbers are low and then open up for travel, but that's not going to happen. We'll have these restrictions still in place after the UK opens up.

Haha The Sun :pac:

OK I might stick with this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/02/11/uk-travel-brits-told-maybe-no-international-trips-for-rest-of-2021/?sh=5185cfc51383

I reckon the UK will not going be going on a holiday fest this year. Much the same as as ourselves and one reason why we are aligning travel restrictions in the CTA with the UK.

There's also the problem that travellers from the UK have been banned by a number of EU countries due to the risk of spreading one of the new strains. Thats still going to be a potential problem going forward even with vaccination imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

gozunda wrote: »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/02/11/uk-travel-brits-told-maybe-no-international-trips-for-rest-of-2021/?sh=5185cfc51383

I reckon the UK will not going be going on a holiday fest this year. Much the same as as ourselves and one reason why we are aligning travel restrictions in the CTA with the UK.

There's also the problem that travellers from the UK have been banned by a number of EU countries due to the risk of spreading one of the new strains. Thats still going to be a potential problem going forward even with vaccination imo.

You think 50+ million of people will be setting up tents in their back garden and learning a new language instead? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Personally I check twitter several times a day to see if social media have declared the Pandemic over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gestureapo

Daily Mail is doing a great job of winding up our neighbours

They're alternating between articles on scary new variants and draconian restrictions

From the comments there seems to be a lot of anti-restriction sentiment over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

How about the Telegraph then.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/17/travel-news-quarantine-hotels-summer-holidays-vaccine-passports/

Is that better? UK could be travelling by Easter.

And Boris Johnson 'optimistic' and will provide an outline of plans on 22nd Feb.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55890224

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bubblypop wrote: »
    My (intelligent normal) friend rang me to say she is isolating.
    Someone she worked with at the weekend tested positive, she herself is now waiting on her results, she has another test in ten days.
    So, as a good friend, I offered to do some shopping for her, drop it at her house, but there no need.
    Why?
    Because she went to the shops yesterday and stocked up, on her way home from her test.
    That's why the numbers don't go down quicker.

A good example of the inane hysteria surrounding this pandemic.

We have here a woman who isn't sick but who is going to self isolate for ten days anyway, simply due to the possibility that she might have some traces of the virus. On her way home to begin that she stopped to get supplies that would allow her to do all this, and I have little doubt that when getting those supplies she wore a mask and practised safe social distancing.

And she is held up as a problem. She stopped to get food to live so she is a problem. In a shop, a setting notoriously unconnected with any outbreaks, which is a problem. She didn't immediately crawl under her bed and starve for 10 days and so she is a problem.

What a pissant little country this is.

Gestureapo wrote: »
    Stock Answer: This times a million, what a clown eh!

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it

Who's worried? :)
    Just explaining why numbers don't go down as quick as people want.

You think 50+ million of people will be setting up tents in their back garden and learning a new language instead? :pac:

A Wigwam and a Zoom call to Spain !!!

A good example of the inane hysteria surrounding this pandemic.

We have here a woman who isn't sick but who is going to self isolate for ten days anyway, simply due to the possibility that she might have some traces of the virus. On her way home to begin that she stopped to get supplies that would allow her to do all this, and I have little doubt that when getting those supplies she wore a mask and practised safe social distancing.

And she is held up as a problem. She stopped to get food to live so she is a problem. In a shop, a setting notoriously unconnected with any outbreaks, which is a problem. She didn't immediately crawl under her bed and starve for 10 days and so she is a problem.

What a pissant little country this is.

Are you actually serious!!
    She did exactly what she should not do.
    She should have gone home and not to the shops.
    She can and does use the internet regularly, she also has plenty of people that can shop for her.
    Everyone thinks the rules don't apply to themselves, they are somehow different.
    And just because she isn't sick today, does not mean she doesn't have or can spread covid.

You're all in here moaning and complaint about the government rules and gardai enforcing them. Maybe if people just actually did what they are supposed to do, we wouldn't be in this stupid lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gestureapo

Who's worried? :)
    Just explaining why numbers don't go down as quick as people want.

You're making a big deal out of nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

She can and does use the internet regularly, she also has plenty of people that can shop for her.
    Everyone thinks the rules don't apply to themselves, they are somehow different.
    And just because she isn't sick today, does not mean she doesn't have or can spread covid.

You're all in here moaning and complaint about the government rules and gardai enforcing them. Maybe if people just actually did what they are supposed to do, we wouldn't be in this stupid lockdown

You sound like a terrible friend.

Tazz T wrote: »

"UK could be travelling by Easter" refers to internal UK based holidays

The first article linked details the possibility of UK holidays could be back on by Easter - with a "gradual loosening of lockdown could mean (uk) holiday lets and larger hotels will be able to reopen by Easter" 

As to Boris

"Asked about tourism in the UK, he said he did not want to give "concrete" dates for such trips but would set out more details on 22 February."

Meh. I dont see opening up international travel. At best a number of media sources are trying to put a pro travel summer 2021 spin on some fairly non committal comments from the UK government.
    The U.K.’s transport secretary Grant Schapps told the press that current travel restrictions might stay in place a long time. “We’ll need to wait for other countries to catch up as well, in order to do that wider international unlock,” Shapps said...

Shapps urged caution about travel plans for this year and advised people not to book holidays either within Britain or abroad. “I’m afraid I can’t give you a definitive ‘will there or will there not be’ the opportunity to take holidays,” Schapps said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/02/11/uk-travel-brits-told-maybe-no-international-trips-for-rest-of-2021/

I'm deadly serious, you are tut tutting and shaming a woman because she didn't get under the bed quickly enough. It illustrates the ridiculousness of this entire situation, a woman who isn't even sick but she is going to isolate anyway and that still isn't good enough.

Its petty crap like this that undermines the entire message.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

You should never talk to her again. Who knows how many grannies shes killed.

I'm deadly serious, you are tut tutting and shaming a woman because she didn't get under the bed quickly enough. It illustrates the ridiculousness of this entire situation, a woman who isn't even sick but she is going to isolate anyway and that still isn't good enough.

Its so desperate that you have to ask the OP whether they reported their "friend" to Gardai :(

actually, no, lets not ask, we had enough hysteria for 1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why is it that the ones who most vocally want the restrictions to end, are also supportive of, or at least not opposed to, things that will cause the restrictions to go on longer?

Good examples from this thread in the last few days would be supporting people going to the supermarket while waiting for a covid test result and showing absolutely no opposition to people who are anti (covid) vaccination.

It makes me wonder if they're just trying to be edgy or contrarian.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You sound like a terrible friend.

Don't be ridiculous, I'm a great friend, I offered to do her shopping, anything she wants I can do it.
    Not sure where you're getting the terrible friend from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It's not against the law. You can go to your local town for an essential reason. There's no law saying you can't go 5km away from your home.
    With the amount of complaining people do, you would think they would know the laws.

Ye know what you’re right, it’s mid term so I said god damn it your right.

Cmon kids we are off for the day, where are we going dad? I’m going to leave it up to you kids, heres where we can go.

Can we go to the beach, or the playgrounds, even one fo the forest parks, or down for a walk in hook head..... Ok we may very well get fined or sent back if we are further than 5k so kids it’s like this!

Well I’m working from home so can’t go to work with me obviously
    And schools are closed so no to school
    We are not attending a diasability day centre so can’t go there
    Not in court thank god, can’t go there.
    We are not caring for a family member so no can’t visit someone’s house
    We are not farmers so can’t go further than 5k for travel purposes
    No weddings and I know things are bad so ain’t bringing ye to a funeral

So the good news kids is we can go to a graveyard, or a chemist so I tell you what who wants to go to Tesco for the day eh?

Yeahhh oh. Ok well tesco it is.

Hey dad ye know when we go to tesco for the day do ye think maybe we could get a board game or something from our pocket money??

Sorry pet that’s a non essential item, can’t get toys or anything like that.

Oh ok, well maybe we could buy some clothes , a new t shirt, maybe some socks etc, might be nice to look around for a while.

Ehh sorry pet clothes are non essential so can’t do that.

Clothes are non essential? But we need clothes to wear, how can it be non essential? Yeah let’s not get into that pet!

Oh.

So kids load up the car, I’ll make the sandwiches, get the lead for the dog, we are heading to tesco, then boots and then the graveyard.

Yaaaaaayyyyyyy!

Hey dad is it like this in all the other countries dad? Emmmmm so wants hand sanitizer, it’s the one that doesn’t smell bad, ehhh, ehhh kids?

Its so desperate that you have to ask the OP whether they reported their "friend" to Gardai :(

Its the poor starving Yemeni girl I am worried about, imagine trying to explain to her the first world problem of a healthy woman stopping at the shop before going into isolation.

No.
    I'm explaining to you now why we are in the situation that we are.
    People can't just do what they are supposed to do in the beginning, if they did we wouldn't be in this situation

• Advertisement

You think 50+ million of people will be setting up tents in their back garden and learning a new language instead?

I dunno - do you have a tent? :D - Maybe just maybe like you've detailed they might all ignore the fact that travel for holiday or leisure purposes is illegal in the UK and for certain destinations risk fines of up to £10,000 and the possibility of having to quarantine?

Or maybe some could apply a little bit of imagination to doing something different rather than screaming about absolutely must have that tri annual trip to Toros del Tontos or wherever for sun sea sangria and an std?

I borrowed this lad :pac: as he looks better here ..

No.
    I'm explaining to you now need why we are in the situation that we are.
    People can't just do what they are supposed to do in the beginning, if they did we wouldn't be in this situation

Newsflash, we are not in this situation because of this sort of petty rubbish.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    You should never talk to her again. Who knows how many grannies shes killed.

Don't be so ridiculous.
    I'm not claiming she is killing anyone.
    If everybody observed the rules as we are supposed to, things would not be in a level 5 lockdown.
    Pretty obvious by posters on here that no-one seems to observe restrictions. Not much wonder we are stuck in this crap.

I dunno - do you have a tent? :D - Maybe just maybe like you've detailed they might all ignore the fact that travel for holiday or leisure purposes is illegal in the UK and for certain destinations risk fines of up to £10,000 and the possibility of having to quarantine?

Or maybe some could apply a little bit of imagination to doing something different rather than screaming about absolutely must have that tri annual trip to Toros del Tontos or wherever for sun sea sangria and an std?

I borrowed this lad :pac: as he looks better here ..

I dont think you understand that 2020 wasnt exactly great travel year. Now you are saying (or hoping?) 2021 wont be either.

ah sshure. its just 2 years of sitting at home. lets apply a bit of imagination :D:D:D

Not much need to report her to gardai, they already know.

Not much need to report her to gardai, they already know.

And how do they know?

(0_0)

And how do they know?

(0_0)

Use your investigation skills on that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭josip

You've got to try to imagine a little bit into the future gozunda.
    It won't be like the present.
    That will mean taking a bit of time to think things throughand getting away from the media sensationalism of the here and now and worst case scenarios. By the summer:
    • Most of the UK population will be vaccinated.
    • European destinations will be desperate for any tourist revenue they can get.
    • The UK will want to maximise their PR win of having their Brexited citizens vaccinated before the EU and will be doing their best to send them as envoys all around the EU.

I dont think you understand that 2020 wasnt exactly great travel year. Now you are saying (or hoping?) 2021 wont be either.

ah sshure. its just 2 years of sitting at home. lets apply a bit of imagination ...

Oh but I do understand! And don't think your 'hope' has nothing to do with it. But yes there's a global pandemic in case you missed that and feking loads of countries have restrictions on travel for holiday or leisure purposes.

But sure let's all imagine we can fek off wherever and whenever we want 'cos someone on boards says so.

:D:D:D (borrowed those lads again - thanks ;))

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    You've got to try to imagine a little bit into the future gozunda.
    It won't be like the present.
    That will mean taking a bit of time to think things throughand getting away from the media sensationalism of the here and now and worst case scenarios. By the summer:
    • Most of the UK population will be vaccinated.
    • European destinations will be desperate for any tourist revenue they can get.
    • The UK will want to maximise their PR win of having their Brexited citizens vaccinated before the EU and will be doing their best to send them as envoys all around the EU.

Haha you lads are gas. Yeah we're talking about the UK and summer 2021!

Just in case you missed it - detail from the U.K.’s transport secretary Grant Shapps and I quote
    Shapps said no one should be booking holidays right now “not domestically or internationally”, and that prime minister had said it was “just too early” to know anything about what the situation would be like in the coming months.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/02/11/uk-travel-brits-told-maybe-no-international-trips-for-rest-of-2021/

After that I really can't help ye ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement