Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

That was great new. I haven't see the bit about 1.2m vaccinated by the end or march, but the news about the vaccine supply increase is excellent. The doom and gloom merchants are clear to see. Making up bad news stories to whip each other up into a lather, inventing scenarios where people stay indoors for the rest of their lives. It's sad to see this is how they react to genuinely good news.

I think this is 1.2m doses rather than people so something like 500,000 with both doses and another 200,000 with one dose. The good news is that it will probably only take 6 weeks to do that number again and then every month after that. There is a temptation to impatience but loads of vaccines are on their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I dont know. It is a pessimistic prediction but its hardly off the charts pessimistic . I think this is a real worry. Its not like we dont have history on over-the-top and hysteria.

Just to confirm, you think it’s likely “they” will continue with lockdowns and people will stay indoors for the rest of their lives and they will demand other people stay indoors for the rest of their lives? That’s a realistic scenario in your opinion?

I get that some people have just copped on that the whole things won’t end in the next few months. I understand that some people have blocked out or ridiculed any news they didn’t want to hear about how the process of getting back to
    normal would take all of this year. But I don’t understand then hysteria around all these doom and gloom predictions.

Is it like the stages of grief? Denial comes before anger and later comes self pity. Because I’ve see these things on display in this thread in the last couple of weeks.

Some people are really only realising that the pandemic won’t end in the next few months and they feel robbed. Instead of questioning the news they’ve been getting (or the way they’ve blocked out the more realistic news) they are lashing out. Last week anyone who posted the Leo Irish Times interview was accused of “doom and gloom” by the people who had been in denial about how long it would take to lift restrictions. And this week we have the same posters posting nonsenses and catastrophising about being in lockdown for the rest of our lives.

I suppose it takes people different time to process the news. Only accepting news you want to believe is a big problem and slows the whole process down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Very giddy here too. We should probably re open on 1st of April if 1.2m prediction comes through - what do you think?

Or maybe another few months in L4/5 just to be on the safe side? :pac:

Depends on what the weather is like, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think this is 1.2m doses rather than people so something like 500,000 with both doses and another 200,000 with one dose. The good news is that it will probably only take 6 weeks to do that number again and then every month after that. There is a temptation to impatience but loads of vaccines are on their way.

I suppose the plan is that for every week we can be kept at Level 5 now, it's an extra week that we can go nuts during the summer.

This will be Tony and the rest of NPHET come June, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nol5l7YDOJc&t=20s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, you're right, it'll be half a million fully vaccinated give or take and 450k with the first dose of az......

Still good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think we need to pick up the pace a bit on vaccinations here in Ireland (or rather the EU since we are dependent on them for our vaccines).

Countries that are doing better than the EU on doses per 100K: Israel, UAE, UK, US, Bahrain, Serbia, Chile, Morocco, Switzerland, Turkey.

544123.png

I have excluded some small island nations in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

josip wrote: »
    I suppose the plan is that for every week we can be kept at Level 5 now, it's an extra week we can go nuts during the summer.

This will be Tony and the rest of NPHET come June, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nol5l7YDOJc&t=20s

Have the mental image of Dr tony doing that now ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just to confirm, you think it’s likely “they” will continue with lockdowns and people will stay indoors for the rest of their lives and they will demand other people stay indoors for the rest of their lives? That’s a realistic scenario in your opinion?

I get that some people have just copped on that the whole things won’t end in the next few months. I understand that some people have blocked out or ridiculed any news they didn’t want to hear about how the process of getting back to normal would take all of this year. But I don’t understand then hysteria around all these doom and gloom predictions.

Is it like the stages of grief? Denial comes before anger and later comes self pity. Because I’ve see these things on display in this thread in the last couple of weeks.

Some people are really only realising that the pandemic won’t end in the next few months and they feel robbed. Instead of questioning the news they’ve been getting (or the way they’ve blocked out the more realistic news) they are lashing out. Last week anyone who posted the Leo Irish Times interview was accused of “doom and gloom” by the people who had been in denial about how long it would take to lift restrictions. And this week we have the same posters posting nonsenses and catastrophising about being in lockdown for the rest of our lives.

I suppose it takes people different time to process the news. Only accepting news you want to believe is a big problem and slows the whole process down.

I think you're a bit over the top here. You're running off on a massive tangent about people and their believes and their inability to process bad news and whatnot.

It is a worry that some of the restrictions will hang around, yes, like masks for example. People have been talked into fear for a whole year. Not everyone will be able to let go. And then there is the health and safety brigade and the sh1t scared of any liability brigade.

I dont know. I'm not saying people will want to be in lockdown forever. But you know twenty years after 911 we still have to take our shoes off in the airport. People in the industry call it the 'security theatre'. Not that its that big a deal to take shoes off for a moment but what I mean is we have history of hanging on to bullsh1t.

I think you're a bit over the top here. You're running off on a massive tangent about people and their believes and their inability to process bad news and whatnot.

It is a worry that some of the restrictions will hang around, yes, like masks for example. People have been talked into fear for a whole year. Not everyone will be able to let go. And then there is the health and safety brigade and the sh1t scared of any liability brigade.

I dont know. I'm not saying people will want to be in lockdown forever. But you know twenty years after 911 we still have to take our shoes off in the airport. People in the industry call it the 'security theatre'. Not that its that big a deal to take shoes off for a moment but what I mean is we have history of hanging on to bullsh1t.

So just to confirm, you think the poster who said that people will stay inside for the rest of their lies and demand that others also stay inside for the rest of their lives, was reasonable, and I was over the top?

So just to confirm, you think the poster who said that people will stay inside for the rest of their lies and demand that others also stay inside for the rest of their lives, was reasonable, and I was over the top?

I think the OP used a bit of rhetoric hyperbole and you picked on the one thing (stay at home forever) that stands out.

But he's not wrong that some people will find it hard to let go with masks and super sanitising their lives and being mega cautious with anything that involves other people. And some will try to draw new lines. Like demanding vaccine passports to get onto a plane or into a match or concert. I dont think the OP has this completely wrong.

• Advertisement

There will still be cases and deaths and this will be used to continue restrictions and lockdowns.

A large portion of society will continue to wear masks use sanitizer and stay at home for the rest of their lives.

They will also demand that everyone else does.

You really need to change your attitude, I would suggest that you are making yourself feel a lot worse than you have to.
    Probably depressing a whole pile of posters on here also with your completely over the top negative view.
    Try to look forward, things will improve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think how it will end will be with government bond yields rising rapidly. Decision makers will be forced to act as their own salaries may be affected.

I think the OP used a bit of rhetoric hyperbole and you picked on the one thing (stay at home forever) that stands out.

But he's not wrong that some people will find it hard to let go with masks and super sanitising their lives and being mega cautious with anything that involves other people. And some will try to draw new lines. Like demanding vaccine passports to get onto a plane or into a match or concert. I don't think the OP has this completely wrong.

Sure. The doom and gloom is really taking hold of some people. Some things might need to change in the future. Handshakes and kisses on the cheek might as a normal greeting might not return. If vaccines are necessary then evidence of vaccination is a perfectly sensible precaution. We need evidence of vaccination to travel to lots of countries before the pandemic and it's not a big problem.

I don't see many people staying at home for the rest of their lives and demanding others do likewise. You might think that's a reasonable prediction, but i don't. I think it's just expressing doom and gloom because they've only recently discovered that covid disruption will continue beyond the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I personally dont see much of things lasting here if vaccine is as effective as studies show so far.

I mean imagine walking on the street of 500 people who are smiling and laughing and here you are by yourself with a mask on, drawing the looks.

As to people being afraid and staying at home continuously? Like what can we do? I have found that a lot of people are very afraid. Very. Cant change that.

I personally dont see much of things lasting here if vaccine is as effective as studies show so far.

I mean imagine walking on the street of 500 people who are smiling and laughing and here you are by yourself with a mask on, drawing the looks.

As to people being afraid and staying at home continuously? Like what can we do? I have found that a lot of people are very afraid. Very. Cant change that.

So what if someone chooses to be the only one in 500 to wear a mask? So what? What worries you about 0.2% of other people wearing a mask? Are you looking for things to worry about or what?

Likewise, if a few people choose to stay inside and not go out again, so what?

So what if someone chooses to be the only one in 500 to wear a mask? So what? What worries you about 0.2% of other people wearing a mask? Are you looking for things to worry about or what?

You would look different to other people.

And then, if you are one of those who enjoys looking different - do nothing.

But if you want to look similar to other people you ll probably make a leap and take off your mask, get past the fear.

And trust me, absolutely nothing worries me. There are people who are scared, permanently, this isnt gonna change. There are also people who love to sit at home, because of fears of virus or fears of the real world, this also isnt going to change. Travel, socializing, fine dinning is not for everyone.

True that. As fas as I'm concerned people can bunker up and walk around in space suits if they like.

You would look different to other people.

And then, if you are one of those who enjoys looking different - do nothing.

But if you want to look similar to other people you ll probably make a leap and take off your mask, get past the fear.

And trust me, absolutely nothing worries me. There are people who are scared, permanently, this isnt gonna change. There are also people who love to sit at home, because of fears of virus or fears of the real world, this also isnt going to change. Travel, socializing, fine dinning is not for everyone.

So there's no problem if some people choose to wear masks?

Lol, who, other then teenagers cares about looking different!

I have done a lot of travelling and met a lot, mostly asians, wearing masks, I have never laughed at them or suggested there was something wrong with them

bubblypop wrote: »

I have done a lot of travelling and met a lot, mostly asians, wearing masks, I have never laughed at them or suggested there was something wrong with them

No that would be rude. I was thinking it though.

• Advertisement

So there's no problem if some people choose to wear masks?

Absolutely none.

bubblypop wrote: »

Yeah i haven't been concerned about things like that since i was a teenager. But there's a bang of teenage angst off the thread since some posters figured out the restrictions aren't going to end in the next few months. Ver much like a national version of Kevin and Perry throwing their hands in the air and asking "why does the government hate me?". This phase will pass as the reality sinks in.

No that would be rude. I was thinking it though.

you thought there was something wrong with them?

you thought there was something wrong with them?

"something wrong with them" may be a little strong. I wouldnt quite phrase it like that. But essentially yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yeah i haven't been concerned about things like that since i was a teenager. But there's a bang of teenage angst off the thread since some posters figured out the restrictions aren't going to end in the next few months. Ver much like a national version of Kevin and Perry throwing their hands in the air and asking "why does the government hate me?". This phase will pass as the reality sinks in.

I think some of these people have a right to throw their toys from the pram some of these people have been on pup for nearly a year now with no end in sight and probably trying to pay a hefty mortgage too.

"something wrong with them" may be a little strong. I wouldnt quite phrase it like that. But essentially yes.

What did you think was wrong with them, however you would have phrased it?

mightyreds wrote: »
    I think some of these people have a right to throw their toys from the pram some of these people have been on pup for nearly a year now with no end in sight and probably trying to pay a hefty mortgage too.

Maybe that's why they're throwing their toys from their pram now. But I'm not sure it's a sensible thing to be doing. If they were listening to some reliable news for the last year then they would have known what's going on and wouldn't have been so socked to find out that restrictions won't end in the next few months.

What did you think was wrong with them, however you would have phrased it?

A bit over-the-top, hypochondriac-ish.

mightyreds wrote: »

But you gotta remember good few posters here are completely unaffected economically. They have secure jobs, defined benefit pensions, happy out.

Their primary concern is low number of cases and what takeaway to order tomorrow.

Now flip that and compare it to a father of 2 who is on PUP and has to pay 1k mortgage a month, with unemployed wife. Primary concern there would be different, much different.

Peoples inability to see this flip side is what upsets me. They have this casual "lets wait and see few months more" attitude lacking any sort of urgency to restore normality. Unsurprisingly they often are from the first bucket.

• Advertisement

A bit over-the-top, hypochondriac-ish.

And what would you think if you saw them now or in 6 months from now?

Would it occur to you that they might have been trying to make sure that they didn't spread any illness to others if they had it and didn't have symptoms?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement